Wednesday, July 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CyrusChan »

went with Charles II, would've had a higher chance had it been about Danish kings ha
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Whoops, named an eighteenth-century king; I thought the first three Georges' reigns managed to cross two century divisions (though I should have told myself that they wouldn't call a king who reigned in the 17th and 18th centuries a "17th century king"). Thus ends a get streak of eight FJs, with little regret besides being woefully inadequate on English monarchs between James I and George I.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

alamble wrote:
r2868 wrote:I believe there was a question in the Olympic category that stated Vanessa Williams won the title of Miss America in the 1980's. I don't remember the exact answer, but because it was an Olympic year it obviously had to be an even number. Well, Vanessa Williams won the title in 1983, so I'm wondering if the clue was inaccurate or if I'm just mistaken. Please help!!
Although the pageant itself was held in September '83, she's considered by the Miss America organization to be Miss America 1984. So the question is accurate, though sorta misleading.
Well, you know from the category that it has to be a year that's divisible by four, so it's hard to be misled by that detail. That clue was gettable from the Macintosh part anyway; everyone (at least everyone who was around at the time) should remember the famous "1984"-themed commercial for the Mac that debuted during the Super Bowl that year. I loved that category. I also thought the "C"-monsters category was well-constructed, and the DD in that one (chimera was the DD, right?) was an instaget for me, in part because I recalled the FJ from this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=965

I got FJ but didn't have a lot of confidence -- I could see why Chuckie the first would have been the last, given the circumstances under which his reign ended. But I had no idea if that was the reason that things changed.

Great job Julie! (Although the middle player won the interview segment with her "knocking over Mother Teresa" anecdote). :D Of course, Julie was going to win whether or not she got the FJ right; I knew approximately what Dan's wager was going to be even before it was revealed.

I said "postulate" for "premise." Judges?

Like Austin Powers, the notes I made while viewing reflected my sense that the "opposite side of the die" clue was undervalued $200.

Two of my precalls that didn't make it into the "K-K" category: "kayak" and "Kursk."
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The FJ clue was a 4-sided toss up for me in trying to rank the possibility of the Charleses and Jameses being correct for the FJ response. I ranked it as James II, Charles I, Charles II and James I. This was the night to go for second instinct. 0/3 for the week. Two more night to find a little redemption.

No offense to you Austin or Steven, but Dan was instant persona non grata with the Camden/Boston error. Goodbye. Off the stage. Next. I'll take my 5 in Ballpark as well as the Best Pictures all night.

It made it easy to root for Julie as she collected the rebound although Elisa scored points knowing the Stephen King title.

Zodiac was going to be easy money. So what if Chinese looked scary and you don't think you know them? Get to those clues. The writers will hold your hand through it. That was the perfect category to brainstorm about between segments if needed.

Hypothesis for me on premise for the sole ring-in miss of the night.

The DDs were -1200 for Julie, +2000 for Julie and -2500 for Julie. Nice job by Julie to get the clean and clear cut win.

Edit: change first DD to Julie
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:The DDs were -1200 for Dan, +2000 for Julie and -2500 for Julie. Nice job by Julie to get the clean and clear cut win.
Julie lost that $1,200 on the first one, too.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:The DDs were -1200 for Dan, +2000 for Julie and -2500 for Julie. Nice job by Julie to get the clean and clear cut win.
Julie lost that $1,200 on the first one, too.
Thanks for the correction. I marked it as a 1 for Dan instead of a 3 for Julie.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

hbomb1947 wrote:Well, you know from the category that it has to be a year that's divisible by four, so it's hard to be misled by that detail.
I suppose it would have been super evil of the show to use a recent Winter Olympics year... Also, it seems that divisibility by 4 is not every contestant's strong suit.

Good category, though - I liked it. Anyone else get 1960 not from the spy plane, but from knowing that Bono was really young when U2 got their first record deal?
I said "postulate" for "premise." Judges?
Unfortunately no, the clue was a direct quote from the OED. I agree, though, with you and Mr. Powers above that there are too many near-synonyms on that one to make for a good clue.

Congrats to Julie!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote:Thus ends a get streak of eight FJs, with little regret besides being woefully inadequate on English monarchs between James I and George I.
... Jimmy, Charles, and Charles, and then ... Jim, Will, Mary, Anna Gloria, George, George, George, George, Will, Victoria! :)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yeah, like it makes it any easier when you take the roman numerals off. Which George is that? George II? III? XVII? George Gray?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Yeah, like it makes it any easier when you take the roman numerals off. Which George is that? George II? III? XVII? George Gray?
L Shades of Gray?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Austin Powers wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:The opposite side of a dice was a TS? It's $200, someone ring in and throw up a number!
Still a good chance of all three guessing wrong if you don't know that they always add up to 7 (I didn't).
Well, someone has said "6" and "2" is eliminated. It's true, there's only a 50/50 chance of guessing with four numbers remaining, but I'd like to think someone would... roll the dice and give a number nearish to six to see if that works.
I find it humourous only one took a stab on that question (a $200)... and then all three got a $2000 wrong in DJ! on, essentially, a 'random number clue.'
hbomb1947 wrote: I got FJ but didn't have a lot of confidence -- I could see why Chuckie the first would have been the last, given the circumstances under which his reign ended. But I had no idea if that was the reason that things changed.
Yeah, giving us '17th century' gave me more reason to suspect Charles I over the others of that century. I doubt I would've pulled him out if no time span was given.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

alamble wrote:
r2868 wrote:I believe there was a question in the Olympic category that stated Vanessa Williams won the title of Miss America in the 1980's. I don't remember the exact answer, but because it was an Olympic year it obviously had to be an even number. Well, Vanessa Williams won the title in 1983, so I'm wondering if the clue was inaccurate or if I'm just mistaken. Please help!!
Although the pageant itself was held in September '83, she's considered by the Miss America organization to be Miss America 1984. So the question is accurate, though sorta misleading.
The writers love 'accurate but misleading'.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Le Master wrote:
StevenH wrote: For the most part I liked this board, but there were two categories in the DJ round that I thought were awful: the Olympic years one and the movies from initials one. Most of the time a clue that asks for a year will be bad, and in this case I thought that the information that was given in the clues was way too trivial. Similar to the Olympic years, I am never a fan of a category that wants you to give a title (movie, book, song, etc.) from its initials, and again, in this case I thought that the clues that went with the initials were not at all helpful.
I somewhat agree about the Olympic years, but "Best Picture Winners" realllly narrows it down for that category. There's no excuse for not knowing the response when you have "Best Picture Winner....2008....'S.M.'" as part of the clue.

There is if you've never seen the movie(like me), and/or have forgotten that a 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire' show is central to the story; the clue had me wondering what Best Pic from 2008 had something to do with Jeopardy!
Last edited by Onairb on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

Another bad day for me. I even saw The Lost Weekend, and spent the last few weeks staring at a list of best picture winners, but couldn't pull that one out when it counted.

Heard of Starlight Express, and I can vividly remember the Family Guy spoof of that, but said Xanadu anyway. Embarassing miss on premise, guessing hypothesis, after going crazy over Ayn Rand, and repeating the mantra a thousand times, that a crazy person never gets the reasoning wrong, it's always the case that the premises are wrong. (Do you remember precisely how that statement goes?)

Was there any TOM on the Plum clue, for Mysteries? I suppose "One for the Money" is an important movie, and, anyway, it was recent, lol. Harder to stomach because it was just before the daily double.

I think I also said 4 for the other side of 2. Had to remind myself - no, it adds up to 7. The fact I remembered about the die is that the number on the opposite side is the same distance from the opposite end of the 1-6 range (or just 1-6, 2-5, 3-4). Maybe I was really into sports at the time, so the idea of playoff seeding came easily to me. I suppose it amounts to the same thing, as Euler proved when he was like 5, or something like that. LOL. I suppose adding up to 7 is easier to handle.

I suppose the Stalag 13 wording in the Hogan's Heroes clue confused me, causing me to think of the movie, Stalag 17.
Last edited by stevo4212 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

goforthetie wrote:Good category, though - I liked it. Anyone else get 1960 not from the spy plane, but from knowing that Bono was really young when U2 got their first record deal?
I got it from "We Didn't Start the Fire", but if I hadn't, yeah, that would have been the only Olympic year that would have fit for Bono, based on when they started out (and I do remember the recent tour postponement due to back surgery coming shortly after Bono turned 50)
goforthetie wrote:Congrats to Julie!
Indeed!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

dhkendall wrote:
Leah wrote:I believe there's a ceremony in England each time a new Parliament sits. The monarch approaches the door to the House of Commons, and it's slammed in his/her face. Charles I monkeyed with Parliament, an MP named Cromwell led a rebellion, and that was the last time a king thought it was OK to enter.

Eugene could tell it better.
Doesn't Lizzie give the "Speech from the Throne" (somewhat akin to your State of the Union Address) from Parliament? Here in Canada, the Governor General (or the sovereign if they are in town at the time) gives the speech from ornate chairs in the Canadian Parliament. I'm pretty sure as a fellow Westminster parliamentary democracy nation (OK, that term doesn't sound right) that Britain also has Speeches from the Throne to outline the government's plans for the upcoming parliamentary session, and, since the UK lacks a Governor General (for obvious reasons) the sovereign themselves reads it.
I think the Queen, et al., gather in the House of Lords chamber for that.
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

stevo4212 wrote:Was there any TOM on the Plum clue, for Mysteries? I suppose "One for the Money" is an important movie, and, anyway, it was recent, lol.
This is the second clue they've had on Evanovich in a month, interestingly. One for the Money did come out not too long ago, and as I said upthread, it sucked. The only good thing in it was Sherri Shepherd as Lula.

And I will NEVER live down blanking on Stephanie Plum's name. NEVER.
Sage on the Hudson

Send in the Crowns

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

OrangeSAM wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Leah wrote:I believe there's a ceremony in England each time a new Parliament sits. The monarch approaches the door to the House of Commons, and it's slammed in his/her face. Charles I monkeyed with Parliament, an MP named Cromwell led a rebellion, and that was the last time a king thought it was OK to enter.

Doesn't Lizzie give the "Speech from the Throne" (somewhat akin to your State of the Union Address) from Parliament? Here in Canada, the Governor General (or the sovereign if they are in town at the time) gives the speech from ornate chairs in the Canadian Parliament. I'm pretty sure as a fellow Westminster parliamentary democracy nation (OK, that term doesn't sound right) that Britain also has Speeches from the Throne to outline the government's plans for the upcoming parliamentary session, and, since the UK lacks a Governor General (for obvious reasons) the sovereign themselves reads it.
Yes, the sovereign opens the year's Parliament sessions from the House of Lords (filled, of course, with nobles who nominally owe their peerages to the Crown), where she or he is quite welcome. The sovereign's only political power is that she or he may dissolve Parliament, though it's obviously not been exercised.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Send in the Crowns

Post by Rex Kramer »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:The sovereign's only political power is that she or he may dissolve Parliament, though it's obviously not been exercised.
I'm picturing a lunatic Elizabeth II, standing on a balcony above Parliament shooting sulfuric acid over the assembled Houses with a water cannon.

Congratulations to jkbrat for coming through when it counted for the win! I love it when a boardie with a no-nonsense tough-guy quasi-government operative avatar wins. :)

Rex
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OrangeSAM wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

I get the impression from the British Monarchy's site that she does go to Parliament for it (the phrase "House of Lords" appears only once on the page)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012