Bravo, agefen!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Bravo, agefen!

Post by MarkBarrett »

I see a member name with "cyberial" in the wording. Zach was able to register, but any cigar posts get ixnayed? Mods on the ball here.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Yes, very well done, Agefen.
I had taken a bit of a break from the boards, and when I was ready to come back, the darn board was gone. Typical.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

trainman wrote:Hope people recognize me here, since I was able to register as "trainman" instead of having to settle for "trainman1."
There can only be "one man of trains"!
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

Yes, many thanks to Agefen for taking the time and trouble to set this up. I appreciate the WWTBAM forumites allowing us to post on their on their boards, but it just didn't feel like the old Jeopardy forum. And it's great to see so many Jeopardy forum regulars together again, especially so soon.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A new board, a new name for me. First contest will be to guess my identity.

Thanks to agefen (who dat?) for setting this up. It was nice to have the WWTBAM Bored to hang out for a while. But it was like being in someone else's home, just not the same and you aren't comfortable taking your shoes off or having to go to the bathroom.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

is that you, LLJF?
EugeneF
Valued Contributor

Post by EugeneF »

And the flotsam just turned up me! Thanks for the haven.

Eugene
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:A new board, a new name for me. First contest will be to guess my identity.

Thanks to agefen (who dat?) for setting this up. It was nice to have the WWTBAM Bored to hang out for a while. But it was like being in someone else's home, just not the same and you aren't comfortable taking your shoes off or having to go to the bathroom.
Jeez, would you close the door at least?
GingerBeer
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by GingerBeer »

Thanks, Agefen!
The last weeks I've been adrift, wandering through the Sony Jeopardy! site, watching the Hometown Howdies and Winner's Circle videos over and over again.
I'm so glad for the J! Archive, and now this board.
Well done, sir!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Thanks for setting this up Agefen! (Insert applause here).

I figured something like this might arise, but I also figured I'd be the last to find out about it. I feel pretty good about missing only a day.

OCSam
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Thank you, thank you, Andy!! This is terrific.
OldSchoolChamp

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

Checking in. Great to be back. Passing the word to all my UTOC contacts.

I suppose there’s no chance in Hell of recovering any of the precious Sony board archives?

—OSC
We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Thank ye kindly! Wonderful to have a proper forum again to post our two cents' worth (or True Daily Double's worth, as the case may be).
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
facetheunashuflr
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by facetheunashuflr »

MarkBarrett wrote:I see a member name with "cyberial" in the wording. Zach was able to register, but any cigar posts get ixnayed? Mods on the ball here.
Cyberial cigars never totally go away.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

OldSchoolChamp wrote:Checking in. Great to be back. Passing the word to all my UTOC contacts.

I suppose there’s no chance in Hell of recovering any of the precious Sony board archives?

—OSC
Probably not, unless Sony (hopefully) gets the board back up, and the archives remain unscathed...
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

OldSchoolChamp wrote:I suppose there’s no chance in Hell of recovering any of the precious Sony board archives?
—OSC
And PMs? although some I may have over on AOL. I was still keeping my 3 TD entries for the games that died (I'm looking at you, for one, Rex!) ;)

And two categories I'd already written to submit to DoT but was waiting until closer to SHC. Oh well. I'll cobble them together again. Probably be better for it.
RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

OldSchoolChamp wrote:Checking in. Great to be back. Passing the word to all my UTOC contacts.

—OSC
Here is a script which can download old archives threads from Google's cache.
http://pastebin.com/Xd9h19iU

Please note the disclaimer at top of the script:
DISCLAIMER: This script may or may not violate Google's TOS and could potentially get you blocked if you download too much too quickly in an automated fashion. There are timeouts built in to prevent this, but caveat emptor. Use at your own risk.

You will have to modify the search terms and the output directory. It will probably clobber files as well. You'll need python too, of course. Some of this forum's more tech minded denizens should have no problems with it. For others, it may appear to be Linear A, but it's really closer to Linear B. Sorta.

I'm on the road. Happy fourth of July and May the force be with you.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I used a long dormant thread to store the TD answers for my game, so the final results will likely never be known. I had finished scoring everything except for the bonuses and I'm pretty sure goforthetie was going to hold on to win, with SpacemanSpiff in second place.

Sorrry, no bronze medal this time.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Bamaman wrote:I used a long dormant thread to store the TD answers for my game, so the final results will likely never be known. I had finished scoring everything except for the bonuses and I'm pretty sure goforthetie was going to hold on to win, with SpacemanSpiff in second place.

Sorrry, no bronze medal this time.
Wait a minute...which game was that? (I still haven't figured out what your alias is on the old board...also, I can't remember exactly what games were still waiting to be scored when the board went down. I think Vanya was involved in something...which might be you. I'm so confused... :? )

Also, I'm holding out that the old threads will still be there when Sony gets the board back up...that would be nice.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

barandall800 wrote:(I still haven't figured out what your alias is on the old board
Pretty sure its LLJF.
Also, I'm holding out that the old threads will still be there when Sony gets the board back up...that would be nice.
Personally, I'd change "when" to "if". If they aren't back by now, I doubt they'll ever bother putting them back up.