Boardies on the Show - Season 29

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Re: Boardies on the Show - Season 29

Post by georgespelvin »

Robert K S wrote:Maybe the secret to getting on the show is to be a boardie?

I wish.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

georgespelvin wrote:

I wish.
Someday our prince will come, george. I'd like to think our prince will come faster primarily because we are boar dies (but I'm sure I must be one of the very few regulars here that not only hasn't been on the show, but hasn't even got an audition invite yet! (And that's due to not quite making 35 on my tests, even though I usually do better than 35 on the practice ones. (Perhaps mbclev is on to something, there are some things you just can't let go of ... )))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Austin Powers wrote:I don't think simply being on the show and posting here makes you a boardie. For example Yellowlees basically posted what? four posts? Just enough to establish that she did the show on a lark ie make an excuse for her fairly modest performance. On the other hand BADuBois posted only after his appearance but has posted regularly since then and indeed mentioned this board in a book! And larkin, who contributed far more to the board during its Sony days, is a boardie too.

So I think there is a minimum level of involvement that makes you one, and once a boardie always a boardie.
Yellowlees had five posts, don't sell her short.
Schliemann
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Schliemann »

dhkendall wrote:
georgespelvin wrote:

I wish.
Someday our prince will come, george. I'd like to think our prince will come faster primarily because we are boar dies (but I'm sure I must be one of the very few regulars here that not only hasn't been on the show, but hasn't even got an audition invite yet! (And that's due to not quite making 35 on my tests, even though I usually do better than 35 on the practice ones. (Perhaps mbclev is on to something, there are some things you just can't let go of ... )))
Yeah, this. I'm pushing six years now since my last (& only) audition. Online test passes in '08 '09' '10 '11 '12 & '13. The "ringer folder" is real.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

georgespelvin wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote:

This has probably been discussed before, but someone really needs to come up with a retronym to distinguish those (like iowabelle) who were on the message board *before* getting the call to play. No offense to anybody, but I don't see any particular reason to root for someone who found this site through an internet search after taping the show.
I'm surprised that there has not been a response yet that, once upon a time, slam determined through empirical research that if someone joined the board before his or her appearance on the show, but after taping, it was almost universally true that the person won at least one game :o . This became known as Slam's Rule. So perhaps the folks that join after taping can be called Slammers. :lol:

Tickled pink that my little observation continues to live on in the collective memory of the board. :)
one-nil
Contributor

Post by one-nil »

Schliemann wrote: Yeah, this. I'm pushing six years now since my last (& only) audition. Online test passes in '08 '09' '10 '11 '12 & '13. The "ringer folder" is real.
my shaker hts. buddie, the answer is contained in your avatar...sunglasses! wear them to your next audition...do not take them off. empirical evidence exists that this works!

maybe you are on a track where you will finally get on the show in your late-30s, after 15 consecutive passed exams. whatever it takes, LeBron. take your talents to culver city.

philip roth: you gotta have a little ganef in you...

miss ya!
Proud Member of the Group of 360 (G360) Since 2007!
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

georgespelvin wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote:

This has probably been discussed before, but someone really needs to come up with a retronym to distinguish those (like iowabelle) who were on the message board *before* getting the call to play. No offense to anybody, but I don't see any particular reason to root for someone who found this site through an internet search after taping the show.
I'm surprised that there has not been a response yet that, once upon a time, slam determined through empirical research that if someone joined the board before his or her appearance on the show, but after taping, it was almost universally true that the person won at least one game :o . This became known as Slam's Rule. So perhaps the folks that join after taping can be called Slammers. :lol:
Well then, guess I'm a "slammer" :) I found out about the board at my second taping, lurked a couple of days, then joined before my first show aired.
one-nil
Contributor

Post by one-nil »

p.s. Two Lawrentians posting in a row in the same thread...what are the odds?! Virtus semper viridis! Cazart!
Proud Member of the Group of 360 (G360) Since 2007!
Schliemann
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Schliemann »

one-nil wrote:
Schliemann wrote: Yeah, this. I'm pushing six years now since my last (& only) audition. Online test passes in '08 '09' '10 '11 '12 & '13. The "ringer folder" is real.
my shaker hts. buddie, the answer is contained in your avatar...sunglasses! wear them to your next audition...do not take them off. empirical evidence exists that this works!

maybe you are on a track where you will finally get on the show in your late-30s, after 15 consecutive passed exams. whatever it takes, LeBron. take your talents to culver city.

philip roth: you gotta have a little ganef in you...

miss ya!
thank you, friend.