WSJ article re O'Brien's quiz

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

larkin1734
Contributor

WSJ article re O'Brien's quiz

Post by larkin1734 »

harrumph
Voyeur

Re: WSJ article re O'Brien's quiz

Post by harrumph »

Looks like the SHC has better questions.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

Why did they use an image of Rutter that looks like it was done by a police sketch artist? It's not like the man hasn't been photographed or been on TV a few times.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

alamble wrote:Why did they use an image of Rutter that looks like it was done by a police sketch artist? It's not like the man hasn't been photographed or been on TV a few times.
I take it you've never seen a Wall Street Journal.

Those are really terrible questions, I probably wouldn't be back the next week if that's what they are usually like.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

I realize it's LA, but I'm surprised that the article would quote Dileep Rao without mentioning his "day job". I wonder if the author actually didn't know about Rao's other claim to fame, or just didnt think it was worth noting.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The writer of the article wanted to interview me, but I was in Germany at the time. Plus, I don't go to the quiz during the summer, so I missed him in person as well. Looks like he took a couple of the worst questions from that night (I like the kosher McDonald's one, but not the others); you get a better sampling of the questions on the quiz's Twitter account, but due to Twitter's "most recent first" formatting, you'll probably run into the answer posts before their respective questions. I'm going to try to create some links to the mobile site that'll show clusters of questions at the top. Don't go there without me!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Here we go. If you're not on a phone, chances are your browser will show answer posts without scrolling, so you might want to make your window shorter before clicking these.

https://mobile.twitter.com/obrienspubqu ... 7640287232 (only the posts from 8/2; don't scroll beyond the seventh post)
https://mobile.twitter.com/obrienspubqu ... 9932634112 (from 7/26; don't scroll beyond the eighth post)
https://mobile.twitter.com/obrienspubqu ... 3308376064 (from 7/19; don't scroll beyond the fifth post)
And these are some others from the night the article's author attended: https://mobile.twitter.com/obrienspubqu ... 6291341313 (from 7/12; spoilers after the seventh post, but you're on your own now!)

Edit: when I visit those links on an iPad, they just redirect to the top of the quiz's Twitter page. Tread carefully!
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

I have play tested two O'Brien's quizzes, one general and one Oscar-themed, and the questions were much, much more amicable. Perhaps because they were written by boardies and/or J! Vets but, nonetheless, it sounds like it's possible to catch them on a good night.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

alamble wrote:Why did they use an image of Rutter that looks like it was done by a police sketch artist? It's not like the man hasn't been photographed or been on TV a few times.
It's his fault, he should either grow a beard, or shave.

"Mr. Rutter's team won, just shy of a perfect score. For that, a $75 credit was applied to their bar tab." Pub quizzes, contributing to alcoholism since 1998.