audition advice

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TheGrandPiano
Very Official Member

Re: audition advice

Post by TheGrandPiano »

Look well-kept, but if your beard is the difference maker, there is a problem. I appreciate your thoughtfulness and care about your audition, and I hope that it's rewarded with the call (and a win, for that matter). Though all of us can give our opinions on beards, only those who have actually seen you can give their opinion on which makes you look better. As for me, I think your professionalism goes beyond your facial hair and to your grooming as a whole. Do what you believe is best and most comfortable, but don't be worried.
MarkBarrett wrote:Show you have your marbles and game skills in the mock play and that is what counts.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

earendel wrote:On September 7 I'll be in Chicago for a J! audition. I've been several times before so I know pretty much what to expect. My question is this: to beard or not to beard? The number of J! contestants with beards is a small number of the total and I'm wondering if it would be better for me to shave my beard (which I've worn for many years) or leave it as is. FTR I'm 60 years old, so I have one strike against me already.
I only have one question:

Male or female? :mrgreen:

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

I am going to attempt to change my avatar so that it shows a picture taken of me when I was in the Hot Seat on Millionaire. That was in 2000, but I haven't changed that much. Perhaps that will help.

ETA: I'm not sure how much that will help - it's rather small (the photo, that is). My beard isn't quite as long as it was in the picture and much grayer.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

jpahk wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:But what does that have to do with anything? I mean, why did you bother to post it? What does it contribute?
he's an overenthusiastic kid. you might as well ask why a bear s***s in the woods.
Ok, I can handle this one. Its because the ursine mammals have normal fecal excreations, just as do humans, except they do not live in typical urban housing. :)
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Anyways, I don't have a beard since I'm a kid, but I did notice that Brian Weikle, MinnesotaMyron, and seaborgium (in ToC) had slight beards, I think. They all accomplished a feat of their own. So I don't really know. I do know that Burns Cameron did have a beard when he played for SJ! and lost. He didn't in the '60s.

No offence meant.
Last edited by ahirbhairav on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

earendel wrote:I am going to attempt to change my avatar so that it shows a picture taken of me when I was in the Hot Seat on Millionaire. That was in 2000, but I haven't changed that much. Perhaps that will help.

ETA: I'm not sure how much that will help - it's rather small (the photo, that is). My beard isn't quite as long as it was in the picture and much grayer.
Oh, you're the Millionaire contestant in my outstanding Facebook friend requests!
earendel

Post by earendel »

seaborgium wrote:
earendel wrote:I am going to attempt to change my avatar so that it shows a picture taken of me when I was in the Hot Seat on Millionaire. That was in 2000, but I haven't changed that much. Perhaps that will help.

Oh, you're the Millionaire contestant in my outstanding Facebook friend requests!
Yes, and thank you for accepting my friend request.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."