Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

caknuck
Jarlsberger

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by caknuck »

econgator wrote:
9021amyers wrote:(To think the Mets have no intention of keeping Murphy. They may not be able to afford him now.)
He's an average regular season player who -- thank goodness-- is playing out of his mind right now. I could see giving him a lucrative 1-year deal as a "thanks", but if he's looking for Cano money, well that's just never going to happen.
Nelson Cruz nods in acknowledgment.
@caknuck
caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

bpmod wrote:Each day for most of the past two weeks, I (and the other two bus drivers carrying students to the school in question) have had to put up with a very irate person blocking the entrance to the school bus loading zone by parking his car in the "No Stopping, Fire Route" zone immediately preceding it. Each day, he gets out of his car and makes a big show of reaching out with his fob so that we can hear the alarm get set (just in case we are under any impression that his intention is to move any time soon), then walks toward the incoming buses making motions with his arms and shouting "bring it on". He then starts yelling obscenities at the bus drivers and challenging them to a fight. When school staff members try to intervene he continues the diatribe against them.
<NotALawyer>
If he ever states that he is going to physically harm you, you can file a police complaint of "assault by threat". This should force local law enforcement to intervene.
</NotALawyer>
@caknuck
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

bpmod wrote:
patkav wrote:I do, however, want to slap some sense into a whole lot of people, starting with your employer.
My employer actually has no say in the matter (other than possibly paying me for my time, in which case they wouldn't (necessarily) be reimbursed by HWSTS).

Brian
That he might lose money in this situation in no way relieves your employer of the obligation to pay you for your time.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:
bpmod wrote:
Bamaman wrote:You said he is stopping in a fire zone, is that not illegal? Or threatening someone teansporting children?
While technically illegal, the bylaw enforcement officers, and the police who respond while said enforcers are not available, don't enforce due to the fear of "spoil[ing the offender's] day" (exact words of the police officer who did respond on one particular day). As far as threats, as long as he doesn't make good on any threats, they are not illegal (or maybe the same kind of "technically not legal, but we don't want to spoil anybody's day" legal).

As I said, it is ridiculous that we live in a society where only the worst behaviour gets lauded and the law-abiding citizens get shafted.

Brian
Sounds like a job for the local news plus a dash cam...
I agree taking this to the media may be the best option, if it can get our American neighbours to backpedal and say "sorry" when faced with cold hard evidence combined with massive public outrage, then it should work here.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

caknuck wrote:<NotALawyer>
If he ever states that he is going to physically harm you, you can file a police complaint of "assault by threat". This should force local law enforcement to intervene.
</NotALawyer>
I know from first hand experience (due to an incident a few years ago while living in a boarding house), that that is not true. I was present while the police were investigating a disturbance. The perpetrator came into the room and threatened in no uncertain terms to kill the person who had reported the problem. The police officers present said that, unless and until he carries through with his threat, no offense has been committed.
brick wrote:
bpmod wrote:
patkav wrote:I do, however, want to slap some sense into a whole lot of people, starting with your employer.
My employer actually has no say in the matter (other than possibly paying me for my time, in which case they wouldn't (necessarily) be reimbursed by HWSTS).

Brian
That he might lose money in this situation in no way relieves your employer of the obligation to pay you for your time.
While that is the 'legality' of the situation, see my statement in an earlier post.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I have been seriously considering talking to the media. (Unfortunately, dash cams are illegal in this situation.) I was thinking maybe social media might be enough, but now I'm not so sure. Apparently a story exploded on Facebook the other day about another bus driver's encounter with another idiot (also in Hamilton; different bus company; different school), where passersby took pictures and posted them. But I cannot even find that story.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

brick

Post by brick »

bpmod wrote:
caknuck wrote:<NotALawyer>
</NotALawyer>
I know from first hand experience (due to an incident a few years ago while living in a boarding house), that that is not true. I was present while the police were investigating a disturbance. The perpetrator came into the room and threatened in no uncertain terms to kill the person who had reported the problem. The police officers present said that, unless and until he carries through with his threat, no offense has been committed.
brick wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian

While that is the 'legality' of the situation, see my statement in an earlier post.

Brian
I understand deciding it's not worth pursuing. That doesn't change that it's illegal.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

econgator wrote:
alietr wrote:
Volante wrote:But for 2016, with the exception of the two Cubs @ Angels at the beginning, every other interleague game in the MLB (of which there will be 98) will be played after the All Star Break. So for half the season, 0% chance of an interleague game, and for the other half, odds'll have to be darn near close to 100% to fit them all in.
Huh? There have to be interleague games because of the odd number of teams in each league. And, just checking the Nats' 2016 schedule quickly, they have several interleague series before the All-Star Break. Are you saying something I'm not understanding?
*nod* The Mets start off with KC (in what will be a rematch of the World Series :) ).
I believe I had that .... :)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

brick wrote:
bpmod wrote:
brick wrote:That he might lose money in this situation in no way relieves your employer of the obligation to pay you for your time.

Brian
I understand deciding it's not worth pursuing. That doesn't change that it's illegal.
I have noticed that there are lots of people around who will insist that they know more than they actually do. You know that it is illegal because you know the legislation as it applies in this jurisdiction? Or you are assuming it is illegal because it is illegal in your jurisdiction?

Let me ask a (multiple choice) question to test your knowledge of Employment standards legislation in my jurisdiction:

How much is my employer legally obligated to pay me for my time in this situation?
A) My regular hourly rate multiplied by the number of hours involved.
B) Minimum wage in this particular jurisdiction (again, multiplied... yadda yadda yadda).
C) An amount which is not possible to determine using the facts known thus far, and possibly as low as zero.

Now, let's assume for a moment that you know what my regular hourly rate is. Now, let's further assume that that hourly rate is $150.00/hr (a guy can certainly dream, can't he? -- These are hypothetical situations, after all). Now answer the above question but with a fourth optional choice:
D) zero.

Anyway, this morning, while the children were patiently waiting on my bus, one of them called the local news media to explain their plight. The young lady was told by them that this story is not newsworthy.

Brian

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I just don't understand how any person in school administration could think that the solution to this is to leave children sitting on a bus and missing class? I don't really understand the logistics involved in how this man's vehicle can block the entrance to the school, but is their no alternate point of entry? Could the school not have a security guard or some other vehicle park their car in the spot before the man arrives? You said he makes a big show of locking his vehicle, but where does he go? Does he have business at a neighboring store or something? What kind of time period are we talking about?

You said it is the Transportation Service that gave the instructions to not enter school property. Is the school aware of and in support of this plan of action? Does this mean the buses are sitting in the street, waiting for him to move? Do you circle the block? Are you not just as much at his mercy sitting there than if you were to find some way around him to enter the parking lot? Sorry for the torrent of questions, trying to understand this scenario and can't quite see the full picture.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You must live in a happening place if some nut job blocking a school bus and cursing and threatening the driver isn't worth a few minutes on the local news channel.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'd take video of him doing what he's doing. It's amazing how much people will chill out when they say that other people will see what they're doing. Of course, it might also piss him off royally ....
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote:I'd take video of him doing what he's doing. It's amazing how much people will chill out when they say that other people will see what they're doing. Of course, it might also piss him off royally ....
It sounds like he's already royally pissed off. Any more provocation ought to send him into apoplexy. Not that I'm suggesting anything, mind you :mrgreen:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Does the administration at Sporcle sit around and try to think of ways to make their site less user friendly? First it was the popups that appear in the middle of a game, Now the screen is formatted in a way that it is too big for my computer screen.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:Does the administration at Sporcle sit around and try to think of ways to make their site less user friendly? First it was the popups that appear in the middle of a game, Now the screen is formatted in a way that it is too big for my computer screen.
Huh. It looks the same to me. I use AdBlock to keep the ads away. (I'd be a good netizen and let the ads through if they didn't abuse the privilege.) Can you change the screen size by holding the Ctrl key and spinning the scroll wheel on your mouse?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Upthread a bit I said that dash cams were not an option. We are not permitted to take any pictures, still or video, while on duty. For that matter, even if we were off duty we wouldn't be permitted to do any of that on school property.

While my intention was not to mislead, I did leave out a portion of the story: This one guy is not the only problem. He is only the most belligerent of the many people who have exhibited similar behaviour. I had one woman tell me that the reason she cut in front of my moving bus with three inches to spare was to test my ability to avoid a collision. Seeing as I didn't hit her, I guess I passed the test. Another person has a habit of parking directly in front of a bus while said bus is unloading so that the driver cannot leave once unloaded (we are not permitted to back up in a school bus loading zone). The school staff members have repeatedly called bylaw enforcement, but nobody responds. Of course, this stuff happening simultaneously at dozens of schools would make it difficult even if they did want to. The "we don't want to spoil his day" comment was made by the police after they were called due to an actual death threat made by one particular offender to one of our company's bus drivers. The responding police officers indicated that it was a waste of their time responding to such an idle threat. And, yes, there were children present when the threat was made.

So, while this guy is and was not the only problem, it was his actions that directly caused the change in policy.

As far as the Transportation Services having made that call, it seems that they have the full support of school staff. It might even be that they issued the order to us at the suggestion of the staff (but I have no evidence either way).

To clarify some of the other points for Jeff: The guy in the initial post would simply walk from his car toward the incoming buses and stand immediately in front of the (first) bus's bumper, shouting and carrying on. Most days, he didn't delay us by more than five or ten minutes. And he doesn't do anything until we try to enter the loading zone. But, he and the dozens of other cars continue to block our route. So, for now, we sit immediately outside the school property, on the street, until staff gives us the signal to proceed in.

There is a parking lot as well as a separate drop-off area for cars. In addition to those, there is plenty of parking on the street and a public parking lot directly across the street. (All of the aforementioned locations remain pretty much empty through all of this.) The bus loading zone is (supposed to be) off-limits to cars.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Brian

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

bpmod wrote:That made me start to think about some of the other cases I have read about or witnessed first hand. Let me give three (not entirely random) and see if anybody can match the case with the end result:

A) A man and woman have consensual sex. The woman later dies of something not related to AIDS/HIV, but they discover upon her death that she was infected. The man is found to also be infected.

B) A senior citizen is followed into a pub washroom by two men (of a certain ethnicity) aged 21 and 19. The two young men pull knives and demand the elder man's wallet. The man refuses, so they stab him multiple times, effectively cutting his heart out of his chest. The autopsy showed the man died of cardiac arrest.

C) From the day of a child's birth, the parents of the child administer small amounts of poison each day, until, before the child is a year old, s/he dies from the poison.

First, see if you can guess the outcome of each case, then try to match each case to the three verdicts here:
Spoiler
First degree murder
Involuntary manslaughter
No crime was committed; no arrest; no trial
Brian
Spoiler
A) No crime
B) Involuntary manslaughter
C) First degree murder
At least, that's what should happen here in the US, given the facts as stated.

Rex
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

By the way . . .

Post by Rex Kramer »

. . . Don't say I didn't warn you.

Rex
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Spoiler
A) No crime
B) Involuntary manslaughter
C) First degree murder
At least, that's what should happen here in the US, given the facts as stated.

Rex
Are you answering that based on the three choices I have given, or should those be the outcomes generally speaking?

(Edited to change would to should, as I misread that word in your post.)

Incidentally,
Spoiler
Bamaman was correct in his guess upthread.
Brian

bpmod
Rank

Re: By the way . . .

Post by bpmod »

Rex Kramer wrote:. . . Don't say I didn't warn you.

Rex
And how long after that will we be asking questions like "What's the difference between a dead skunk on the road and a dead Watson on the road?"?

Brian