Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:20 am With this thread on page 2 I found a reason to bump it. For crossword puzzle solvers check out Rex Parker's comment after you finish the Saturday 6/6 puzzle:
While we're talking crosswords, in today's Saturday Stumper in Newsday, 34 Across is:

One in a sure-to-sue scenario.

And the answer is
Spoiler
ANR
I came to ask what it means, but now that I typed it, I got it. I am seriously shaking my head at that one. That's just abusive.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

alietr wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:50 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:20 am With this thread on page 2 I found a reason to bump it. For crossword puzzle solvers check out Rex Parker's comment after you finish the Saturday 6/6 puzzle:
While we're talking crosswords, in today's Saturday Stumper in Newsday, 34 Across is:

And the answer is
Spoiler
ANR
I came to ask what it means, but now that I typed it, I got it. I am seriously shaking my head at that one. That's just abusive.
Those usually elicit either an admiring nod or a scowling grimace upon reveal. I'm still not sure which that was. A mild frown with grudging acceptance?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:22 am
Spoiler
The biggest issue / downer for me, though, was 1A: Capital of Chad (N'DJAMENA). At 1-Across, that is such a f***-you kind of answer. People who have been on "Jeopardy" and trivia nerds who memorize world capitals will know it, and everyone else won't (I was a "won't"), which is it breaks hard into two very very very different camps: Absolute Gimme or Absolutely No Idea. And what's more, if you have no idea, it's not a city you have any chance of spelling in any kind of inferential way. All random letters if you don't know the answer.
I put a comment on his site as I could not let his "Jeopardy" without the exclamation point abide.
I belonged in the first camp and had the spelling right. And if you do crosswords, you gotta know stuff.
And if you find it so frustrating, Google it. It’s not Learned League or pub trivia, after all.

ETA: Would I Google it? Hell, no. That’s not why I do Crosswords. But I also don’t get my pantries in a wad about clues I don’t know.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

There was a very low tide today so I went to the beach to look for various low tide critics and who do I see but none other than the GOAT himself: Mr. Ken Jennings! I introduced myself and he was very cordial. I told him I won a game on J! and he said "together we've won 75." If I would have been as quick thinking as Ken I would have said "yeah, we're kind of like Hank and Tommie Aaron." :D
Woof

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:25 pm There was a very low tide today so I went to the beach to look for various low tide critics and who do I see but none other than the GOAT himself: Mr. Ken Jennings! I introduced myself and he was very cordial. I told him I won a game on J! and he said "together we've won 75." If I would have been as quick thinking as Ken I would have said "yeah, we're kind of like Hank and Tommie Aaron." :D
Nice! I presume that the highlighted word was an autocorrect of critter? It does make for some interesting imagery, though. And maybe a GOAT could be called a low tide critter now?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:47 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:25 pm There was a very low tide today so I went to the beach to look for various low tide critics and who do I see but none other than the GOAT himself: Mr. Ken Jennings! I introduced myself and he was very cordial. I told him I won a game on J! and he said "together we've won 75." If I would have been as quick thinking as Ken I would have said "yeah, we're kind of like Hank and Tommie Aaron." :D
Nice! I presume that the highlighted word was an autocorrect of critter? It does make for some interesting imagery, though. And maybe a GOAT could be called a low tide critter now?
Good catch. I kind of like the idea of low tide critics, though. :lol:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:21 pm
Ocean went out too slow. No kelp. 2 stars.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:03 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:21 pm
Ocean went out too slow. No kelp. 2 stars.
Sounds more like a kelp.com review.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Spoiler
The biggest issue / downer for me, though, was 1A: Capital of Chad (N'DJAMENA). At 1-Across, that is such a f***-you kind of answer. People who have been on "Jeopardy" and trivia nerds who memorize world capitals will know it, and everyone else won't (I was a "won't"), which is it breaks hard into two very very very different camps: Absolute Gimme or Absolutely No Idea. And what's more, if you have no idea, it's not a city you have any chance of spelling in any kind of inferential way. All random letters if you don't know the answer.
I put a comment on his site as I could not let his "Jeopardy" without the exclamation point abide.
I belonged in the first camp and had the spelling right. And if you do crosswords, you gotta know stuff.
As long as the crossings are fair, which I believe they are in this case, I have no problem with tough or obscure proper nouns like this. Now having two tough or unusually spelled proper nouns crossing each other, that is certainly a different story and a frequent source of complaint from Mr. Parker, but throwing trivia players a bone is something I love to see. I certainly prefer them to the crosswordese types of entries that are largely only known by crossworders and are only considered acceptable for common use in crosswords becuase they've been used in previous crosswords.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Woof wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:28 pm
Spoiler
And if you find it so frustrating, Google it. It’s not Learned League or pub trivia, after all.

ETA: Would I Google it? Hell, no. That’s not why I do Crosswords. But I also don’t get my pantries in a wad about clues I don’t know.
But Kirk mistyping "low tide critics" gets your pantries in a wad? Would you beach about Kirk's beach and ignore the log on your own?
In and out of the pool four times
Woof

Post by Woof »

reddpen wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:57 pm
Woof wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:28 pm
Spoiler

But Kirk mistyping "low tide critics" gets your pantries in a wad? Would you beach about Kirk's beach and ignore the log on your own?
Bill, perhaps I’m misreading the tone of those comments but it sounded like he was taking the crossword writer to task for starting it off “too hard” which has a TPH/like ring to it. And I hope my lighthearted teasing of Kirk didn’t come across as some ham-handed spelling lame.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm looking for some help among the J! hive mind. I've had a good week on HQ, winning 6 of the last 7 games, which means I'm on the leaderboard, which means I've got a lot of friend requests from randoms who want to mooch off my answers. The reason I'm posting is that some of these randoms have lifted J! contestants' pictures with Alex to use as their profile picture, presumably in order to encourage people to accept their requests. I recognize a few faces but don't have names to go with them, and Google's reverse image search is not helping with all of them. I'd like to report these users to HQ, but without knowing who the people in the pictures are, I can't really prove it's not them. Here's are three I can't put a name to, with the usernames that are using their images:

BillyJohns: https://cdn.prod.hype.space/a/26762297-dkkUKg
MarianneAble: https://cdn.prod.hype.space/a/26762287-skVPyI
Madelyn0: https://cdn.prod.hype.space/a/26616255-1mDgqD

I've also got ZacharyMitchel using Sarah Jett Rayburn's picture (https://cdn.prod.hype.space/a/26758642-GLZW1Z) and aguilar0 using Terry Heard, Jr.'s picture (https://cdn.prod.hype.space/a/26736702-e9urEo). Just sticking those here for posterity.

(And I have what look like legit requests from Mike Duval, Ryan Bilger, Kat Lewin, and Ellen Wernecke—the last of which doesn't have an Alex avatar but a mirror selfie—but the accounts seem suspiciously new and I'll make sure before I accept them.)

Edit: I have confirmed that ZacharyMitchel with Sarah's picture is not Sarah, and that the account using Ellen Wernecke's name and Facebook profile pic is not Ellen.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:17 am BillyJohns: https://cdn.prod.hype.space/a/26762297-dkkUKg
Dan Tran from 13 and 14 Oct 2014:
Spoiler
Jeopardy! 2014-10-13 - Dan Tran.jpg
Jeopardy! 2014-10-13 - Dan Tran.jpg (101.48 KiB) Viewed 3906 times
www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9461

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:17 am Madelyn0: https://cdn.prod.hype.space/a/26616255-1mDgqD
Diana Peloquin who defeated Arthur Chu:
Spoiler
Jeopardy! 2014-03-12 - Diana Peloquin.jpg
Jeopardy! 2014-03-12 - Diana Peloquin.jpg (89.21 KiB) Viewed 3906 times
Jeopardy! 2014-03-12 - Arthur Chu vs Julie Hornick vs Diana Peloquin.jpg
Jeopardy! 2014-03-12 - Arthur Chu vs Julie Hornick vs Diana Peloquin.jpg (117.84 KiB) Viewed 3906 times
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=8962
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:51 am
seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:17 am BillyJohns: https://cdn.prod.hype.space/a/26762297-dkkUKg
Dan Tran from 13 and 14 Oct 2014:
Spoiler
Jeopardy! 2014-10-13 - Dan Tran.jpg
www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9461

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:17 am Madelyn0: https://cdn.prod.hype.space/a/26616255-1mDgqD
Diana Peloquin who defeated Arthur Chu:
Spoiler
Jeopardy! 2014-03-12 - Diana Peloquin.jpgJeopardy! 2014-03-12 - Arthur Chu vs Julie Hornick vs Diana Peloquin.jpg
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=8962
Thanks so much!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:50 am While we're talking crosswords, in today's Saturday Stumper in Newsday, 34 Across is:

And the answer is
Spoiler
ANR
I just got it. That reminds me of the time my dad groused about finally solving this clue:

A source? (6 letters)
The answer was
Spoiler
CARROT
explanation
A source, as in *A* source, as in vitamin A.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:17 am MarianneAble: https://cdn.prod.hype.space/a/26762287-skVPyI
TinyEye worked for the other two. This one was tougher. Finally found one site, PimEyes, that tracked down the picture to gsas.yale.edu. But they wanted to charge me for more information. Fortunately, just going to that site and searching for Jeopardy got me the info.

Swetha Dravida:
Spoiler
Jeopardy! 2018-12-10 - Swetha Dravida.jpg
Jeopardy! 2018-12-10 - Swetha Dravida.jpg (89.38 KiB) Viewed 3893 times
Jeopardy! 2018-12-10 - Staci Huffman vs Swetha Dravida vs Francesco Caporusso.jpg
Jeopardy! 2018-12-10 - Staci Huffman vs Swetha Dravida vs Francesco Caporusso.jpg (113.65 KiB) Viewed 3893 times
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=12425
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

And thanks again!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Cephalic phase all over again as tonight's episode of "The Wall" (I think) had an exact duplicate of a question from an episode of "Common Knowledge".

Tourists can take a 4-minute tram ride to the top of which of these American attractions?

A. Statue of Liberty B. Gateway Arch C. Hollywood Sign
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Update for The Penguin:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=26979
Kino Lorber have dated and detailed their upcoming Blu-ray release of the recent 4K restoration of Phillip Borsos' film The Grey Fox (1982), starring Richard Farnsworth, Jackie Burroughs, Ken Pogue, Timothy Webber, and Gary Reineke. The release will be available for purchase on September 8.

Synopsis: After decades in prison, stagecoach robber Bill Miner (Richard Farnsworth) emerges in 1901 a free man without a place in 20th century society…until he sees The Great Train Robbery and is inspired to once again do what he does best.

Special Features and Technical Specs:

NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM
NEW Audio Commentary by Filmmaker Alex Cox
NEW Interview with Producer Peter O'Brian
About the Restoration - Featurette
Theatrical Trailer
Optional English subtitles for the main feature
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:44 pm Update for The Penguin:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=26979
Spoiler
Kino Lorber have dated and detailed their upcoming Blu-ray release of the recent 4K restoration of Phillip Borsos' film The Grey Fox (1982), starring Richard Farnsworth, Jackie Burroughs, Ken Pogue, Timothy Webber, and Gary Reineke. The release will be available for purchase on September 8.

Synopsis: After decades in prison, stagecoach robber Bill Miner (Richard Farnsworth) emerges in 1901 a free man without a place in 20th century society…until he sees The Great Train Robbery and is inspired to once again do what he does best.

Special Features and Technical Specs:

NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM
NEW Audio Commentary by Filmmaker Alex Cox
NEW Interview with Producer Peter O'Brian
About the Restoration - Featurette
Theatrical Trailer
Optional English subtitles for the main feature
Many thanks! I've been searching every so often, worried that this release would vanish in a puff of coronavirus like so much vaporware. This is reassuring. They don't have a Shut Up and Take My Money button yet, but they do have a release date. I've marked my calendar.