Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bottom of page 2? Time to bump this thread.

The 7/1 USA Today crossword had me needing every cross to finish it at 48D

Is really good (5)

Erik Agard is now the editor (the puzzles are better since this happened) and the constructor was Zhouqin Burnikel.

The answer was:
Spoiler
SLAPS
I realize I'm well past certain demographics for such slang talk, but usually I have a hint of recognition thanks to the variety of things I watch. Not this time. Completely new to me and for a rare time I had to check my answer to confirm it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:05 pm Bottom of page 2? Time to bump this thread.

Is really good (5)

Erik Agard is now the editor (the puzzles are better since this happened) and the constructor was Zhouqin Burnikel.

The answer was:
Spoiler
SLAPS
I realize I'm well past certain demographics for such slang talk, but usually I have a hint of recognition thanks to the variety of things I watch. Not this time. Completely new to me and for a rare time I had to check my answer to confirm it.
Erik, bless his heart, is a good constructor, but clearly of a different generation than me. Sometimes I scratch my head at some of his answers (like I would have with this one, though recognizing this is Zhouqin's clue, not his).
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

alietr wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:12 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:05 pm Bottom of page 2? Time to bump this thread.

Is really good (5)

The answer was:
Spoiler
SLAPS
Erik, bless his heart, is a good constructor, but clearly of a different generation than me. Sometimes I scratch my head at some of his answers (like I would have with this one, though recognizing this is Zhouqin's clue, not his).
I got it with the meta-hint that Mark was having trouble, and thus it might be recent slang.

I don't know the etymology, but it's used in the context of music. "That song ______."
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

STAN, clued in its modern sense*, also seems like a natural fit for a hip, with-it crossword puzzle.

*verb meaning "idolize," basically
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

For your, um, entertainment?

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:12 am For your, um, entertainment?

https://youtu.be/VCfWZFB8A6s
They all got a daily double and all wagered an odd number in the hundreds position?...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Needing a new background noise show, I started watching Street Food: Asia on Netflix, and it'll knock you under the floor if your drinking game involves taking a shot when the dub and sub don't match verbatim.

The best is the Ho Chi Minh City episode (and I only just started it!) where the Vietnamese are -clearly- saying "Saigon" and the dubber says "Saigon"...and the subtitles say "Ho Chi Minh City."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Last night, I have downloaded Jeopardy! Words. It is like Wordscapes, only Jeopardy! clues. I am already at Level 300. I am that addicted to the game. This is a good way to spend the time while there aren't any new Jeopardy! episodes.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

The creators of Jeopardy! Words did not spend too much time on this question as they incorrectly have Rebecca’s stately home as Mandalay and not Manderley.
F7BA7888-4639-4011-9437-FE071FD67A65.jpeg
F7BA7888-4639-4011-9437-FE071FD67A65.jpeg (296.07 KiB) Viewed 4408 times
Douglas Squasoni
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Ronald L. Schwary passed away a few days ago. Although he won an Academy Award as producer of Ordinary People, few people will recall his name. But they might remember his face.

Early in his movie career, Schwary served as an associate producer and production manager for the Sydney Pollack-directed him The Electric Horseman, starring Jane Fonda and Robert Redford. The following year, Redford chose him to be the sole producer on Redford's directorial debut, Ordinary People, which went on to win the Oscar for Best Picture of 1980.

Two years later, he served as an uncredited producer on Tootsie, also directed by Sidney Pollack. One of the very funny scenes in Tootsie takes place in Elaine's, the late, lamented Manhattan restaurant where Dustin Hoffman shows up in drag to surprise his agent, who is played by Pollack. Pollack is appalled and is trying to get rid of Hoffman when a producer drops by the table to say hello. Hoffman, passing himself off as an actress, tries to compliment the producer, much to his agent's discomfort.

The producer in the scene is played by Ronald L. Schwary.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews have both appeared in S36 clues. They are off DWTS now, so a post will be needed for the Current Events thread when replacements (don't bet on two whites) are named.

I did not dare bump any of the Trebek threads to avoid scaring anyone, but Bergeron seemed to have as many dislikes as likes as a potential J! host.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Jeopardy! Words made another blunder. The currency of Tajikistan is the Somoni. Unless this was a clue from back in the 90’s or something.
C465FB19-70AF-4F54-AE21-6C5C155996FC.jpeg
C465FB19-70AF-4F54-AE21-6C5C155996FC.jpeg (288.32 KiB) Viewed 4221 times
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

Ken Jennings YouTube challenge. Can Ken answer 100 questions in 10 minutes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbWOrYlS0vo
Douglas Squasoni
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:21 am I did not dare bump any of the Trebek threads to avoid scaring anyone, but Bergeron seemed to have as many dislikes as likes as a potential J! host.
He'd be a good host of J! (or pretty much anything), but he's 65, and I have a feeling they'll be looking for someone younger as an Alex replacement.
brick

Post by brick »

Is this an appropriate place to mention that Jeopardy might be starting taping again next week? They were set to go, but with cases rising in California it’s up in the air again.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

trainman wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:04 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:21 am I did not dare bump any of the Trebek threads to avoid scaring anyone, but Bergeron seemed to have as many dislikes as likes as a potential J! host.
He'd be a good host of J! (or pretty much anything), but he's 65, and I have a feeling they'll be looking for someone younger as an Alex replacement.
I wonder how he would do with the fast pace of J!

As for the age, it might not be a bad thing to have someone in that age range come in next. Alex is an impossible act to follow, and there will be many who just "can't" watch his replacement. So instead of trying to find someone for the next 30 years, they get someone for the next 5 years, then look for the 30-year person to take the helm.

This also means if they do want to have someone who "checks the boxes" for the sake of diversity, it won't be too much of a radical change when Alex steps down.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

brick wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:17 am Is this an appropriate place to mention that Jeopardy might be starting taping again next week? They were set to go, but with cases rising in California it’s up in the air again.
do we have confirmation somewhere they were planning to start taping? Contestants were lined up and everything? While it might seem "right" to call back those who were at the head of the line, the situation might not make that possible right now, so they would've had local people ready?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:50 am This also means if they do want to have someone who "checks the boxes" for the sake of diversity, it won't be too much of a radical change when Alex steps down.
If they're doing that, Aisha Tyler's the way to go. I think her name has come up before. I get happy just thinking about the inevitable ARCHER category in which she meets contestant responses with a "yuuuup" or a "no-o-ope".
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:50 am
trainman wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:04 am
I wonder how he would do with the fast pace of J!

As for the age, it might not be a bad thing to have someone in that age range come in next. Alex is an impossible act to follow, and there will be many who just "can't" watch his replacement. So instead of trying to find someone for the next 30 years, they get someone for the next 5 years, then look for the 30-year person to take the helm.

This also means if they do want to have someone who "checks the boxes" for the sake of diversity, it won't be too much of a radical change when Alex steps down.
If they want an older box checker, I hope it isn’t Oprah. We would barely clear two categories a round with her reading the answers.

Tyler will be 50 in September. Alex was 44 when the show debuted.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:46 pm Tyler will be 50 in September. Alex was 44 when the show debuted.
And women live an average of 6 to 8 years longer than men. Perfect!