Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

The contestants on today's episode of "The Chase" had interesting names.

One month earlier, it would be Winston Churchill Teresa May. Seems April Foolsy to me. Even though it is November.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 2.09.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 2.09.05 PM.png (632.79 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I am not an avid Wheel of Fortune watcher, but I do watch clips posted on their channel. From tonight's episode, the triple toss up was "On the Map".

The first one was Green Bay, Wisconsin. The second one was Tampa Bay, Florida.

At this moment, I guessed Prudhoe Bay, Alaska for the third one. Said to myself, "Would Wheel of Fortune use that place?"

As more letters were revealed, I realized it was in fact Glacier Bay, Alaska. This is why I am a Jeopardy! person rather than a Wheel person. ;)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 12.06.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 12.06.05 AM.png (472.26 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I think 2020's starting to run out of stuff to throw at us to make us miserable. It's aiming for confusing now...

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/ ... t-mvp-vote
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:33 am I think 2020's starting to run out of stuff to throw at us to make us miserable. It's aiming for confusing now...

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/ ... t-mvp-vote
The ghost of Frank Robinson had to be happy with the NL results. Who gave Mookie Betts a 6? Someone from the Giants or Yankees?
Volante

Post by Volante »

Can you recognize all the letters of the alphabet in their various forms? Only 1/4th (of, admittedly, a small sample size) could.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/lette ... recognize/
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:54 pm Can you recognize all the letters of the alphabet in their various forms? Only 1/4th (of, admittedly, a small sample size) could.
I would have been one of the 74%.
Volante

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:29 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:54 pm Can you recognize all the letters of the alphabet in their various forms? Only 1/4th (of, admittedly, a small sample size) could.
I would have been one of the 74%.
I managed to pick it out of the four but no way could I have drawn it unprompted
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Has anyone else got this email? It's obviously a fraught decision and I wouldn't like to rush in without consulting with the most informed opinion. But do please note the tight deadline.

Postscript: edited out personally identifying info. Again, that deadline. Maybe I can apply for an extension, as they really ought to understand.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-11-16 at 8.54.07 PM (1).jpg
Screenshot 2020-11-16 at 8.54.07 PM (1).jpg (57.22 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
I'm smart and I want respect.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Google for 11/19 has me me flinch each time I used the site as it's an unexpected weird swooping downfall.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Season 18 champion Umiko Mangione Post, who I am sure quite a few people here knew, has passed away.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

OMG. I was just talking with her about her original Ohio hometown weeks ago. That and the loss of Berek Marcus makes this a hard week.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AMERICAN LITERATURE $600: In this 1946 novel, "There wasn't any Democratic Party. There was just Willie" Stark

This clue is correct as written as that particular line from the book does not include "Stark".

However, I can see why a suggestion correction came in that made me go to the tape to verify my rejection. Why someone is looking at the 3/31/98 Pat Healy debut game in 2020 is another story.

What I'm curious about is if the writers could have done a better job with the clue itself? How best to rewrite it? Or it's fine as is although it may have an archive reader thinking something is amiss with the quotes placement.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:34 pm AMERICAN LITERATURE $600: In this 1946 novel, "There wasn't any Democratic Party. There was just Willie" Stark

This clue is correct as written as that particular line from the book does not include "Stark".

However, I can see why a suggestion correction came in that made me go to the tape to verify my rejection. Why someone is looking at the 3/31/98 Pat Healy debut game in 2020 is another story.

What I'm curious about is if the writers could have done a better job with the clue itself? How best to rewrite it? Or it's fine as is although it may have an archive reader thinking something is amiss with the quotes placement.
Fine as is, I'd say. Though they could let my favorite punctuation do a whole bunch of heavy lifting and go with "There was just Willie...Stark" (cause the last name does come later in the paragraph...)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:34 pm AMERICAN LITERATURE $600: In this 1946 novel, "There wasn't any Democratic Party. There was just Willie" Stark

I'd say the simplest way to have "Stark" outside the quotation without it seeming like a mistake would be to make the post-quote portion read "Stark, that is" and put an ellipsis, semicolon, or dash before it, or parentheses around it. Try these on for size:

In this 1946 novel, "There wasn't any Democratic Party. There was just Willie" ...Stark, that is
(I'm undecided on whether to put the space before or after the ellipsis there)

In this 1946 novel, "There wasn't any Democratic Party. There was just Willie"; Stark, that is

In this 1946 novel, "There wasn't any Democratic Party. There was just Willie"—Stark, that is
(This could also be a double hyphen -- either way, I'm unsure whether there should be spaces around it)

In this 1946 novel, "There wasn't any Democratic Party. There was just Willie" (Stark, that is)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Square brackets would be the natural way to do it in an academic paper. But that might seem too highfalutin for Jeopardy! "There wasn't any Democratic Party. There was just Willie [Stark]"
Volante

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:30 pm

Square brackets would be the natural way to do it in an academic paper. But that might seem too highfalutin for Jeopardy! "There wasn't any Democratic Party. There was just Willie [Stark]"
Yeah, that'd be the Proper way, but it doesn't feel like J! I ruled that out right quick.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:46 pm
Yeah, that'd be the Proper way, but it doesn't feel like J! I ruled that out right quick.
I'm curious if any clue has ever used this method. Searching the archive for a square bracket on its own doesn't work, and I can't think of a way to search for "[wildcard]".
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:41 pm
I'm curious if any clue has ever used this method. Searching the archive for a square bracket on its own doesn't work, and I can't think of a way to search for "[wildcard]".
I could only find two such examples in the Archive:

Show #4542 - WASHINGTON POST CARDS, $800
Dear Mary,
Today I found out you can't do this to "All of the people all [of] the time"
-Abe
The wonderful blog Quote Investigator has a writeup on how this particular saying has changed over time (and concludes that Lincoln probably never said it).

Show #5061 - JONATHAN SWIFT, $1600
In 1729's "A Modest Proposal", Swift wrote that these "...at a year old [are] a most delicious... food"
The actual line: "...a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food...".
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

cheezguyty wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:43 pm
Spoiler
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:41 pm
I could only find two such examples in the Archive:
Spoiler
Show #4542 - WASHINGTON POST CARDS, $800
Dear Mary,
Today I found out you can't do this to "All of the people all [of] the time"
-Abe
The wonderful blog Quote Investigator has a writeup on how this particular saying has changed over time (and concludes that Lincoln probably never said it).

Show #5061 - JONATHAN SWIFT, $1600
In 1729's "A Modest Proposal", Swift wrote that these "...at a year old [are] a most delicious... food"
The actual line: "...a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food...".
Stellar work as always. That's why you're my stats and facts man at the commentary desk as soon as I start running things!
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:12 am I'll check out the second week of the Feb. teen tourney at some point. Perhaps after 50 more repetitious posts about the same bloody thing.
Less than 12 hours later.....
Justin731994 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:23 am Check the second week of the February 2007 Teen Tournament for any more full credit rolls from that tournament, with no local promos, as soon as possible.
So, I guess we should be expecting the 2nd week to be ready in about 25 days? :D :roll:

I'm so mad that I can't stop venturing into that baffling thread.