Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by opusthepenguin »

gnash wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
gnash wrote:How many errors can be packed in one clue? https://twitter.com/tracyalloway/status ... 61/photo/1

Does Sony do any QC for the stuff it lends the Jeopardy! brand to? (I really hope this isn't a clue from an actual game...)
How many errors do you count? A quick search suggests that Friedman may not have created the nickname, only the idea behind it. (I can't find anything definitive that rules out Friedman as a source, but I haven't spent a lot of time. If I were a clue writer, I wouldn't try to track down that definitive refutation. I'd just rewrite the clue.) And the quote was about deflation, not inflation.
As you said, the clue has "inflation" instead of "deflation". Bernanke quoted Friedman re: helicopter drop, but Friedman was a little too dead to call him anything.
Not as far as I can tell. Bernanke made the speech about the helicopter drop 4 years before Friedman died. Friedman lived for 9 months after Bernanke became chairman of the Fed.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I don't how long until the mess is cleaned up, but look at the Ken Jennings message board on his blog site and see what happens if a mod is not on the ball.

http://www.ken-jennings.com/messageboards/ Main Forum
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote:I don't how long until the mess is cleaned up, but look at the Ken Jennings message board on his blog site and see what happens if a mod is not on the ball.

http://www.ken-jennings.com/messageboards/ Main Forum
Looks to me less like an absent mod and more like exploitation of a vulnerability in PHPBB. I don't know what version KJ is running, but out of date versions are often vulnerable to known exploits.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

yeah, I made a new post there earlier today to indicate the "real" board was like 12 pages deep at that point. I think it was 14 when I checked later.

ETA: econgator reported page 18 3 hours ago; now it's up to 20. 50 topics per page. So about 1,000 spam topics.

ETA: Page... crap, already forgot. 28 now, I think.
Last edited by Paucle on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:yeah, I made a new post there earlier today to indicate the "real" board was like 12 pages deep at that point. I think it was 14 when I checked later.
It's 18 now. He's had a few here and there, but it's never been that bad before.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Sounds like it's time for me to do a backup!
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

alietr wrote:Sounds like it's time for me to do a backup!
Clue: [beep] [beep] [beep] [beep]

Response: What is the sound alietr makes when doing a backup?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

HugoZ wrote:
alietr wrote:Sounds like it's time for me to do a backup!
Clue: [beep] [beep] [beep] [beep]

Response: What is the sound alietr makes when doing a backup?
My rear is not that big!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Duck, Duck, gone..Alabama fans caught a nice break today.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

So did Notre Dame fans!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

So, that'll likely leave the SEC teams at 2, 3, 5, 6, and 8. But yeah ... we're overrated ... :P
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

econgator wrote:So, that'll likely leave the SEC teams at 2, 3, 5, 6, and 8. But yeah ... we're overrated ... :P
Say, econ, could you list the (teams) that the SEC played this week for me?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Now the real fun begins. If Notre Dame beats USC then they're in, and one slot is available for a 1-loss team, likely the SEC champions. But things could get even wackier. Say ND loses to USC, and Georgia loses to Georgia Tech next week. The latter is probably pretty unlikely, but the former, and I'm telling you this as a lifelong Irish fan, is all too realistic a possibility. Georgia could then beat Alabama to win the SEC Championship, which would likely send them to the Sugar Bowl, while Florida, a team that lost to Georgia and finished behind them in the SEC East, could go to the National Championship Game. Who would they play? Hard to say. One possibility could be Oregon, though it might require another Kansas State loss. Stanford could be the Pac 12 champion and Georgia the SEC champion, yet Oregon and Florida could play for the national title.

Florida, by the way, beat Jacksonville St. on Saturday, 23-0. Jacksonville State lost to Eastern Kentucky earlier this season 51-21. Eastern Kentucky lost to Purdue 48-6. Purdue lost to Michigan 44-13, and Michigan lost to Alabama, 41-14. So Florida won a game by 23 points against a team that is 130 points worse than Alabama, and there is a very realistic possibility that two weeks from right now, Florida will be preparing to play for the national title.

Ooh, here's another, and it goes coast to coast. Florida won last Saturday, 27-20 over Louisiana-Lafayette, who lost a game in September 65-24 to Oklahoma State, who one week earlier was beaten 59-38 by Arizona, who lost to Oregon 49-0. So Florida got a 7 point win over a team that is 111 points worse than Oregon, yet if Oregon and Florida both finish with 1 loss, the Gators could very well go to the National Championship Game ahead of the Ducks.

Note that I'm just being silly with these numbers, not trying to disparage or offend any particular team or its fanbase. I don't really remember what my point was going to be when I started this post, but I think I've said enough for now.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

While Florida State is left sitting in the corner, muttering like a guy who arrived for the Early Bird Special a few minutes late, only to find all the tapioca has been devoured by what must have been... a wolfpack....
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bomtr wrote:
econgator wrote:So, that'll likely leave the SEC teams at 2, 3, 5, 6, and 8. But yeah ... we're overrated ... :P
Say, econ, could you list the (teams) that the SEC played this week for me?
Yeah, so? Every team has several chumps on the schedule.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

True, but come on, econgator; the SEC scrounges for cupcakes like they were in a live-action remake of Zombieland. Eight of the 14 league teams played out -of-conference yesterday. Seven of those dipped down to FCS (what we used to call Division 1-AA) to find an opponent. The one who didn't, Missouri, is new to the league and probably didn't get the memo. For the record, I spent three years at LSU, and my kids all want to see Mike's tiger habitat some day.

The SEC -- don't look at us, we did our best to keep Hostess in business!

I kinda feel for Oregon; they can win out, and they will still be behind as many as up to four teams (Notre Dame, Bama or UGA, maybe K-State, Florida or FSU). All because they lost under a horrid overtime system to a ranked opponent. When LSU made the title game with two "losses" like that a few years back, much was made that under the rules for most of our lives, they would have had two ties. Does a 12-0-1 Oregon team really deserve to be as low as #5?
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:True, but come on, econgator; the SEC scrounges for cupcakes like they were in a live-action remake of Zombieland. Eight of the 14 league teams played out -of-conference yesterday. Seven of those dipped down to FCS (what we used to call Division 1-AA) to find an opponent. The one who didn't, Missouri, is new to the league and probably didn't get the memo. For the record, I spent three years at LSU, and my kids all want to see Mike's tiger habitat some day.
Hey, at least we played one of the best FCS teams...

Over here in Aggieland, we are still celebrating last week, and watching the teams above us to see where we end up. It's a nice place to be.

Johnny Football for Heisman.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

lisa0012 wrote:
Hey, at least we played one of the best FCS teams...

Over here in Aggieland, we are still celebrating last week, and watching the teams above us to see where we end up. It's a nice place to be.

Johnny Football for Heisman.
And well you should be; I did my undergrad work at TCU, during the years when Aggies were drawing swords on the SMU cheerleaders and telling the Rice band they couldn't come to Kyle Field after "honoring" Reveille by forming a fire hydrant on the field. Oh, yes, and onside kicks against us then they had a 40-point lead.

But I have to admit, it was sweet to see Bear's Earlier Boys march into Tuscaloosa last weekend and decisively beat Alabama. The Aggies have been snakebit for so long, I figured they had lost their legs. Congrats on a great win, and after Klein's performance last night, I certainly wouldn't pick against Johnny F!

I tried to fit a Bear Bryant question into the Maryland TD -- it was, after all, Bear's debut as a head coach -- but it didn't quite work. Paul Bryant could walk on water, but not even he could make the Terps a successful football power.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

I've heard that the NCAA is reconsidering not allowing Ohio State to play in the post-season so that there might be a decent match-up in the national championship game. :lol:
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I nominate TomKBaltimoreBoy as king of the metaphors.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.