Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Vanya »

econgator wrote:
bomtr wrote:
econgator wrote:So, that'll likely leave the SEC teams at 2, 3, 5, 6, and 8. But yeah ... we're overrated ... :P
Say, econ, could you list the (teams) that the SEC played this week for me?
Yeah, so? Every team has several chumps on the schedule.
I would think BCS rankings take strength of schedule into account. Or does having a perfect record override everything else?
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:
Hey, at least we played one of the best FCS teams...

Over here in Aggieland, we are still celebrating last week, and watching the teams above us to see where we end up. It's a nice place to be.

Johnny Football for Heisman.
And well you should be; I did my undergrad work at TCU, during the years when Aggies were drawing swords on the SMU cheerleaders and telling the Rice band they couldn't come to Kyle Field after "honoring" Reveille by forming a fire hydrant on the field. Oh, yes, and onside kicks against us then they had a 40-point lead.

But I have to admit, it was sweet to see Bear's Earlier Boys march into Tuscaloosa last weekend and decisively beat Alabama. The Aggies have been snakebit for so long, I figured they had lost their legs. Congrats on a great win, and after Klein's performance last night, I certainly wouldn't pick against Johnny F!

I tried to fit a Bear Bryant question into the Maryland TD -- it was, after all, Bear's debut as a head coach -- but it didn't quite work. Paul Bryant could walk on water, but not even he could make the Terps a successful football power.
We've come a long way, and I say that having done undergrad and grad work there (16 years, minus a 7 year break). Aggies can still be obnoxious about traditions, but we are mostly good people.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Vanya wrote:
I would think BCS rankings take strength of schedule into account. Or does having a perfect record override everything else?
In general having a perfect record in an automatic qualifying conference (ACC, Big Least, Big Ten, Big 12, Pacific-12, and SEC) overrides all.

Ok, not the Big Least. They just suck in football.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:I kinda feel for Oregon; they can win out, and they will still be behind as many as up to four teams (Notre Dame, Bama or UGA, maybe K-State, Florida or FSU). All because they lost under a horrid overtime system to a ranked opponent. When LSU made the title game with two "losses" like that a few years back, much was made that under the rules for most of our lives, they would have had two ties. Does a 12-0-1 Oregon team really deserve to be as low as #5?
I don't disagree that the my alma mater does play some cupcakes, but let's look at Oregon, too! Arkansas St, Fresno St, Tenn Tech, and Cal. The first time they play someone on the top 15, they lose.

Still and all, they'd easily beat an overrated ND team. :)
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

econgator wrote:
TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:I kinda feel for Oregon; they can win out, and they will still be behind as many as up to four teams (Notre Dame, Bama or UGA, maybe K-State, Florida or FSU). All because they lost under a horrid overtime system to a ranked opponent. When LSU made the title game with two "losses" like that a few years back, much was made that under the rules for most of our lives, they would have had two ties. Does a 12-0-1 Oregon team really deserve to be as low as #5?
I don't disagree that the my alma mater does play some cupcakes, but let's look at Oregon, too! Arkansas St, Fresno St, Tenn Tech, and Cal. The first time they play someone on the top 15, they lose.

Still and all, they'd easily beat an overrated ND team. :)
As well as an overrated The Ohio State University team.

What was really striking about the SEC this week was the thoroughness of the cupcake orgy.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

So ... has anyone else tried to watch Big Bang Theory tonight? It sounds like they turned the laughter up and turned the actor's voices down to zero. I'm surprised they're even bothering to show it.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:So ... has anyone else tried to watch Big Bang Theory tonight? It sounds like they turned the laughter up and turned the actor's voices down to zero. I'm surprised they're even bothering to show it.
I did, no problem at all. Probably just your local broadcaster.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

I recorded Big Bang Theory on my DVR. Just watched it, and the sound seemed normal.

A few years ago my surround-sound processor went wonky and I couldn't hear the dialogue of TV shows, while the background music was loud enough to rattle the windows. I wonder if a similar misadjustment might have occurred at your local broadcaster's facilities.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

pinkfreud wrote:I recorded Big Bang Theory on my DVR. Just watched it, and the sound seemed normal.

A few years ago my surround-sound processor went wonky and I couldn't hear the dialogue of TV shows, while the background music was loud enough to rattle the windows. I wonder if a similar misadjustment might have occurred at your local broadcaster's facilities.
OK. Just a local thing, then. I'll just watch it on the web in a day or two.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

econgator wrote:So ... has anyone else tried to watch Big Bang Theory tonight? It sounds like they turned the laughter up and turned the actor's voices down to zero. I'm surprised they're even bothering to show it.
I didn't have a problem, but Mrs OS turned on the CC to help her, but that's not unusual.
OCSam
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

OrangeSAM wrote:
I didn't have a problem, but Mrs OS turned on the CC to help her, but that's not unusual.
Watched 30 Rock live and haven't watched my BBT recording yet.

I don't have any hearing loss (that I'm aware of), but years of watching ER and The West Wing got me in the habit of using the closed captions routinely.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

A localized Big Bang sound problem is described here.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

pinkfreud wrote:A localized Big Bang sound problem is described here.
And I'm pretty sure this is econgator's neighbourhood, so this explains a lot.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:
pinkfreud wrote:A localized Big Bang sound problem is described here.
And I'm pretty sure this is econgator's neighbourhood, so this explains a lot.
Yep. WKMG is me.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

WKMG's master control operator Thursday night probably isn't old enough to remember the solution of putting up a "NETWORK AUDIO TROUBLE" graphic no matter whose fault it was. (Of course, back in the good old days, it usually was a network problem, in the sense that the audio was dropping out somewhere along the AT&T circuits.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Wow, a college football discussion breaks out and I missed it.

I was at the aforementioned Florida-Jax State game, though cheering against econ's team.

As for yesterday's game.......whew. Great game, now on to beat the Golden Domers.

Watched Big Bang on DVR, no sound issues. Wished Penny had said "Oh, my nose!!!!" when she got whacked with the purse.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:Wow, a college football discussion breaks out and I missed it.

I was at the aforementioned Florida-Jax State game, though cheering against econ's team.

As for yesterday's game.......whew. Great game, now on to beat the Golden Domers.

Watched Big Bang on DVR, no sound issues. Wished Penny had said "Oh, my nose!!!!" when she got whacked with the purse.
Yes, Penny should have used a 40-year-old sitcom reference that is still well-loved today even though it was a bag loaded with a coffee can of coins instead of a football doing the damage.

No sound problems for me on ON Demand as Last Resort and X Factor had the Thursday preferences.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

RFRM (Request For Reading Material):

The reading stack has a few spots open, so I'm taking recommendations on books (no boundaries: fiction, non-fiction, old, new, light, heavy).

I'll probably take 5 or 6 candidates, then see what shows up in the 1/2 price bookstores or Powell's.

What are yinz all reading?
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I am just starting Jane Eyre (for the first time). I'm also starting The Annotated Alice. Recently I have read most of Jo Nesbø's Harry Hole series (although I wouldn't suggest reading them in reverse order like I ended up doing).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

I just finished Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, one of the most delightful books I've read this year. People who are devoted to books, puzzles, and computers (or any one of the three) will love this.

One advantage to buying the print edition rather than the e-book: the dust jacket glows in the dark. Scared the bejabbers out of me the first time I noticed this, but now I use it as a nightlight.