Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:03 pm Why is Phoenix?...

Getting my vacations figured out for next year and Phoenix (hint: Diamondbacks) was the third and last to make the cut. And I know, philosophically, it's hot. I know the King of the Hill burn. But there's something about seeing the raw numbers of -months- of average 100+ temps that... WHY?!

(Luckily(?) the schedule calls for the last week of April/first of May so still tentative low 90s which...still... At least Chase Field is domed...)
I was there at the end of April 2018 and the night game at Chase was beautiful. As soon as the sun went down, the temps dropped fairly quickly into the 70's.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

There must be some kind exchange rates jokes to be made about the Raiders/Packers playing in Canada on an 80 yd. field. It's very strange to see the end zones between the 10 yd. lines and the goal lines.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

In case you don't check Sporcle every day, you might find this quiz in your wheelhouse. You will have to answer in less than thirty seconds, on average, but it is hoped that many of them won't require much thought.

I wonder if its author posts here? Idly, though, not asking anyone to step forward.

ETA--I whiffed on one of the clues, due to spelling difficulties. I trust I'd have been ruled close enough on the show. Of course, I remembered most of them from when they first appeared.
I'm smart and I want respect.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Volante wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:03 pm (Luckily(?) the schedule calls for the last week of April/first of May so still tentative low 90s which...still... At least Chase Field is domed...)
Retractable, not domed. Tropicana Field -- now there's a dome. (Some years back, I went to an early September game at the then-Bank One Ballpark, and it was perfectly acceptable. My seating section won coupons for a free McGriddle, and it's still the only MLB game I've been to where I won something.)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

trainman wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:01 am
Volante wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:03 pm (Luckily(?) the schedule calls for the last week of April/first of May so still tentative low 90s which...still... At least Chase Field is domed...)
Retractable, not domed. Tropicana Field -- now there's a dome. (Some years back, I went to an early September game at the then-Bank One Ballpark, and it was perfectly acceptable. My seating section won coupons for a free McGriddle, and it's still the only MLB game I've been to where I won something.)
Bah, you know what i mean! Yes, it's not so much a dome as it is a roof, and a retractable one at that. But save icons still use 3.5" disks so...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I do find it fitting that in the Mets victory over the D-backs on Wednesday, they scored 9 runs on 11 hits.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

From the Incredible Coincidences Department ... Giants' manager Bruce Bochy (who began his managerial career in 1995) began the day with his career record at 1,995-2,019. But THEN, also on Tuesday, when the Mariners won their game, their win-loss record from 1995-2019 stood at ... yep, 1,995-2,019.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

alietr wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:08 am From the Incredible Coincidences Department ... Giants' manager Bruce Bochy (who began his managerial career in 1995) began the day with his career record at 1,995-2,019. But THEN, also on Tuesday, when the Mariners won their game, their win-loss record from 1995-2019 stood at ... yep, 1,995-2,019.
and sonny gray had a no hitter into the 7th in that game and just crapped the bed in that inning hitting a dude, walking a dude and giving up a home run to a dude in his 2nd mlb game ever
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

econgator wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:42 am I do find it fitting that in the Mets victory over the D-backs on Wednesday, they scored 9 runs on 11 hits.
weird how those things happen...the astros went wild with 11s all over the place on the apollo 11 moon landing anniversary date
Volante

Post by Volante »

*crosses fingers* Goin in for PRK in about 2 hours so if I don't show up the next couple days it's because my face will be covered in ice (reportedly)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:59 pm *crosses fingers* Goin in for PRK in about 2 hours so if I don't show up the next couple days it's because my face will be covered in ice (reportedly)
Good luck! It is an amazing experience (LASIK in my case).
Volante

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:07 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:59 pm *crosses fingers* Goin in for PRK in about 2 hours so if I don't show up the next couple days it's because my face will be covered in ice (reportedly)
It was, and still is, an experience to be sure. Having brief moments of clarity which is good. Probably won't sink in fully until things are not regularly blurry.

Have caught myself trying to push up my glasses a few times...gonna be hard to completely break -that- 30 year old habit
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:40 pm
It was, and still is, an experience to be sure. Having brief moments of clarity which is good. Probably won't sink in fully until things are not regularly blurry.

Have caught myself trying to push up my glasses a few times...gonna be hard to completely break -that- 30 year old habit
For another in the category of thoughts, reflexes and reactions to something no longer there I would nominate retainers. [Not setting the table for Opus] The kind from the orthodontist, not the lawyer fees. After who knows how many years I still can have moments of panic or memory about my appliances from the past around mealtime and bedtime.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:52 pm

For another in the category of thoughts, reflexes and reactions to something no longer there I would nominate retainers. [Not setting the table for Opus] The kind from the orthodontist, not the lawyer fees. After who knows how many years I still can have moments of panic or memory about my appliances from the past around mealtime and bedtime.
You're no fun.

The one that gets me is the occasional panicked feeling of trying to hit the clutch pedal when I'm coming to a stop only I'm driving an automatic and have been for years.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:40 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:52 pm

You're no fun.

The one that gets me is the occasional panicked feeling of trying to hit the clutch pedal when I'm coming to a stop only I'm driving an automatic and have been for years.
Try driving a work truck with the European shifting pattern, then getting in your car to go home with the standard H.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hope Zuckerberg doesn't watch Pyramid as the contestant's clue for "Facebook" was, "Not Instragram, but the old one." Ouch. At least celebrity Bobby Moynihan (Yeah, I know, [board member not to be named], you've never heard of him) did get it immediately.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:33 am Hope Zuckerberg doesn't watch Pyramid as the contestant's clue for "Facebook" was, "Not Instragram, but the old one." Ouch. At least celebrity Bobby Moynihan (Yeah, I know, [board member not to be named], you've never heard of him) did get it immediately.
Facebook owns Instagram. Zuckerberg has your data whether you are young and hip or old and square.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

From Volante in the Current Events thread:

Name to know: Greta Thunberg, 16 year old climate change activist from Sweden

Thanks, as it quickly came in handy when I did the NYT mini crossword puzzle for 9/24.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Here you go, learn European history in 11 minutes:

https://youtu.be/UY9P0QSxlnI
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Jennings Pelosi.PNG
Jennings Pelosi.PNG (13.6 KiB) Viewed 6056 times