Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:55 am
davey wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:48 am think how odd even common words are.
Like recent solution BEING... not easy to arrive at that having an E and an I in yellow, since I is usually before E, and the -EI- combination generally looks like it should be pronounced "eh" or "ay", as in "neigh" and "weigh". From this perspective, BEING seems like it should be pronounced "beng", and you could easily discard "BEING" as a solution for the reason that it must be a non-word because you don't know of any word pronounced "beng".
I guessed BEGIN, and it took me more than a few minutes to realize what the Wordle had to be... :oops:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:55 am
davey wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:48 am think how odd even common words are.
Like recent solution BEING... not easy to arrive at that having an E and an I in yellow, since I is usually before E, and the -EI- combination generally looks like it should be pronounced "eh" or "ay", as in "neigh" and "weigh". From this perspective, BEING seems like it should be pronounced "beng", and you could easily discard "BEING" as a solution for the reason that it must be a non-word because you don't know of any word pronounced "beng".
TASER is my standard first guess (and yes I understand why some people think that having a standard guess is boring and uncreative). When that lights up only the E and it's in the wrong place, I often use BEING as my second guess. It adds another vowel and an N. It might not be the best, but it seems good enough. But on the day BEING was actually the word, I switched things up and guessed BINGE. Green B and everything else yellow. Got it in three.

What does Wordle look like to color blind people? When I screenshot it and switch to grayscale, the shades of gray for green, yellow, and gray are distinguishable, but it's pretty subtle. Selecting High Contrast Mode in the settings results in a very slight improvement.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I start with ADIEU. Knocks out four vowels right away. I used to go with TEARS.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

For me, starting with the same word is akin to using the same chess opening. Sure, it’s repetitive, but everything that follows is unique to the word of the day.

BTW, Robert, WordleBot tells me that Crane is the best starting word… not that I use it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Woof wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:38 am For me, starting with the same word is akin to using the same chess opening. Sure, it’s repetitive, but everything that follows is unique to the word of the day.

BTW, Robert, WordleBot tells me that Crane is the best starting word… not that I use it.
But in chess, you only have 20 possible openings and many of them you would be highly unlikely to use. Wordle has many more options.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I start with SAUTE, but my WordleBot always uses DEALT. It's always interesting to me when I guess what I think is a fairly common word (like GOALS) and it's like, yeah, that's a valid word, but it's not on the list, sorry!
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

teapot37 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:52 pm I start with SAUTE, but my WordleBot always uses DEALT. It's always interesting to me when I guess what I think is a fairly common word (like GOALS) and it's like, yeah, that's a valid word, but it's not on the list, sorry!
GOALS is allowed as a guess. If it's not on the list they choose from, that's just because it's plural.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Mon May 23, 2022 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Woof wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:38 am BTW, Robert, WordleBot tells me that Crane is the best starting word… not that I use it.
That's... that's really weird. Now I wonder if it just chooses a different "best word" for each user and tries to push it on that one individual repeatedly. Day after day it scorned me for not using DEALT.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I always use TRASH.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:28 pm
Woof wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:38 am BTW, Robert, WordleBot tells me that Crane is the best starting word… not that I use it.
That's... that's really weird. Now I wonder if it just chooses a different "best word" for each user and tries to push it on that one individual repeatedly. Day after day it scorned me for not using DEALT.
CRANE for me too.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I usually start with "atone".
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I start TRAIN then LOUSE, all 5 vowels plus RSTLN. Imagine my surprise when TRAIN was the word about a week ago.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Bamaman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:38 am I start with ADIEU. Knocks out four vowels right away. I used to go with TEARS.
That’s my word too, usually followed by STORY.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Leander wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:12 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:38 am I start with ADIEU. Knocks out four vowels right away. I used to go with TEARS.
Do you use STORY even when ADIEU gets some hits, or only when it comes up empty?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:16 am TASER is my standard first guess (and yes I understand why some people think that having a standard guess is boring and uncreative). When that lights up only the E and it's in the wrong place, I often use BEING as my second guess. It adds another vowel and an N. It might not be the best, but it seems good enough. But on the day BEING was actually the word, I switched things up and guessed BINGE. Green B and everything else yellow. Got it in three.
Today's Wordle
I doubt any of you remember my above comment, but if you do, you may have thought of me today. I almost reflexively typed BEING as my second guess. But with this conversation fresh in my mind, I stopped myself in time and went a different way.

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I'm only trying to solve within the six tries, so I usually do CROWN FAKED LIGHT BUMPS unless I feel there's no more to be gained that way.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Leander

Post by Leander »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:36 am
Leander wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:12 pm
Do you use STORY even when ADIEU gets some hits, or only when it comes up empty?
I sometimes use a different word if I get a couple of vowel hits with the first one. Boringly though, I usually just drop the Y and use STORM.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Wordle is too easy because they are working from a dictionary of only 2000 and some words. The official Scrabble dictionary has 8996 five-letter words, according to one source.

I would be sunk if I had to include in my thought process all of those obscure words that are in Scrabble.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

floridagator wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:47 am Wordle is too easy because they are working from a dictionary of only 2000 and some words. The official Scrabble dictionary has 8996 five-letter words, according to one source.

I would be sunk if I had to include in my thought process all of those obscure words that are in Scrabble.
Since the latter cancels out the former, I think Wordle found the sweet spot, its 60'6" if you will.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Dr. Pepper seems to have fired shots in the Barry/Berry war: