Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Volante »

Golf wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:27 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:30 pm I do love that Soccer is an everyman's game and can be played with limited equipment and facilities, and mostly simple rules. I just think it needs some tweaking to create viewable content and suspenseful games. I don't know enough about it to suggest tweaks, but something has to be done about the nil-nil outcomes and the insurmountable one-goal lead.
MattKnowles wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:22 pm Moving my comment from the "FJs for the 4/19/21 week" thread.

I've been saying this for years but its gotten no traction:

-Put in a shot clock.
-Remove the goalkeeper.
-Make the goals smaller.

Some defenders may be forced to guard the goal and the offsides rule can be removed.
But that's not soccer.

Soccer is huge on the vast majority of the planet, just because an isolated country or two doesn't much care for the pace or excitement doesn't warrant a change affecting billions of current fans.
Couple more years of this VAR nonsense, on the other hand...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was looking through some of my old posts and their contexts, and found this gem:
IronNeck wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:48 am I am 99.9% certain that any clue that comes up on Jeopardy about the Golden State Killer will not mention Michelle McNamara's book.
This was in the 2018 current events thread in April of that year; the one clue J! has had about the Golden State Killer was in September of that year, and it mentioned her book. (IronNeck had been banned by then, so we couldn't lord it over him.)

Edit: I also found this later in the thread:
IronNeck wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:41 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:48 pm Michelle Obama memoir in November: Becoming

Movie with Jane Fonda, Diane Keaton, Mary Steenburgen & Candice Bergen: Book Club

CBS reboot of Magnum P.I. will star Jay Hernandez

ABC show The Rookie will star Nathan Fillion (he's really 47) as 40-year-old rookie cop
If I had to guess, I think the first factoid maybe makes a Jeopardy clue, the second and third definitely won't, and the fourth only if the show is successful, which is a major long-shot.
All four made a J! clue. (The first made two.)
Last edited by seaborgium on Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Golf wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:27 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:30 pm I do love that Soccer is an everyman's game and can be played with limited equipment and facilities, and mostly simple rules. I just think it needs some tweaking to create viewable content and suspenseful games. I don't know enough about it to suggest tweaks, but something has to be done about the nil-nil outcomes and the insurmountable one-goal lead.
MattKnowles wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:22 pm Moving my comment from the "FJs for the 4/19/21 week" thread.

I've been saying this for years but its gotten no traction:

-Put in a shot clock.
-Remove the goalkeeper.
-Make the goals smaller.

Some defenders may be forced to guard the goal and the offsides rule can be removed.
But that's not soccer.

Soccer is huge on the vast majority of the planet, just because an isolated country or two doesn't much care for the pace or excitement doesn't warrant a change affecting billions of current fans.
Somewhat disagree. I think it would still be soccer. I think you can disregard FIFA and the standard ruleset and it would still be soccer. When I played soccer as a kid we had plenty of scrimmage games with small goals and no goalie and that was definitely still soccer. In the same way you can still play basketball without strictly following NBA rules. A 3-on-3 pickup game is going to have different rules than the NBA but it wouldn't be fair to say it's not basketball.

But yea I don't think billions of people around the world are going to make any changes to the hobby they enjoy.

While I have an audience for things I think should be changed: Mongeese should be an acceptable pluralization of mongoose. Mongeese is natural to the speaker and it should not be considered incorrect. The only reason it is considered incorrect is because of the ongoing tyranny of dictionary editors. Mongooses is currently the only allowed pluralization. Mongooses is three syllables while mongeese is only two syllables. If both were allowed then mongeese would surely become the more commonly used word following the trend of Zipf's law the Brevity law (Zipf's law of abbreviation).
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:24 am I was looking through some of my old posts and their contexts, and found this gem:
IronNeck wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:48 am I am 99.9% certain that any clue that comes up on Jeopardy about the Golden State Killer will not mention Michelle McNamara's book.
This was in the 2018 current events thread in April of that year; the one clue J! has had about the Golden State Killer was in September of that year, and it mentioned her book. (IronNeck had been banned by then, so we couldn't lord it over him.)
He was always such a grouch about it that it was never much fun anyway.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

This is kind of Jeopardy related but I guess it fits best here. I was performing in a Zoom reading of "Midsummer Night's Dream" yesterday and the actor playing Puck was Meryl Federman, who came back from having no money in the first half of the 2007 Teen Tournament to win the whole thing. https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1988
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

georgespelvin wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:42 am This is kind of Jeopardy related but I guess it fits best here. I was performing in a Zoom reading of "Midsummer Night's Dream" yesterday and the actor playing Puck was Meryl Federman, who came back from having no money in the first half of the 2007 Teen Tournament to win the whole thing. https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1988
As so often happens...
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

OrangeSAM wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:58 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:01 pm
There was someting to help with a jewel of hidden TOM in "currently known as this city". Renamed cities that I can list offhand are the correct answer, a couple of Russian ones, Beijing/Peking, Hanoi/whatever, I'm out of time / Tulsa.
Perhaps you meant Saigon.
:oops: I started typing Ho Chi Minh City and bailed without thinking it through.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:05 am Christiania/Oslo always a good one to remember.
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:54 am Regina, Saskatchewan was originally known as Pile of Bones.
Norwegian cities are vaguely familiar to me, Canadian one just funny :lol: .

This could get off in the weeds, but what else is on the short list? Perhaps limit it to places where you reasonably might know the old name from literary or historical references. Excludes junk like Truth or Consequences / whatever, or short lived founding names (e.g. Joplin, MO was Murphysburg)?

Tokyo/Edo
Cape Canaveral/Kennedy/Canaveral
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:02 am
OrangeSAM wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:58 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:01 pm
There was someting to help with a jewel of hidden TOM in "currently known as this city". Renamed cities that I can list offhand are the correct answer, a couple of Russian ones, Beijing/Peking, Hanoi/whatever, I'm out of time / Tulsa.
Perhaps you meant Saigon.
:oops: I started typing Ho Chi Minh City and bailed without thinking it through.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:05 am Christiania/Oslo always a good one to remember.
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:54 am Regina, Saskatchewan was originally known as Pile of Bones.
Norwegian cities are vaguely familiar to me, Canadian one just funny :lol: .

This could get off in the weeds, but what else is on the short list? Perhaps limit it to places where you reasonably might know the old name from literary or historical references. Excludes junk like Truth or Consequences / whatever, or short lived founding names (e.g. Joplin, MO was Murphysburg)?

Tokyo/Edo
Well, there are all the Indian and Chinese cities, like Peking/Beijing and Bombay/Mumbai as well as Rangoon/Yangon, but I'm not sure if that's just adopting and local pronunciation and not actually renaming them.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:02 am Tokyo/Edo
Not a city, but in keeping with the Kennedy theme, you've got Idlewild Airport/JFK.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:37 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:33 pm While watching a Nov. 2020 TV show I failed to recognize this guest star (born in 1965) whose fame comes being on a sitcom for 6 years in the 1980s as well as dozens of appearances a celebrity player on game shows
Spoiler
Who it is:
Spoiler
Lauri Hendler who played the middle daughter on Gimme a Break and was a very capable player on versions of Pyramid and Password. This week she played a SAT tutor on American Housewife.
She also had a guest appearance on an episode of Young Sheldon recently as well.
She hasn't aged well
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:28 pm
ParrotRob wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:16 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:57 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:51 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:55 am I really don't think "gypsy" is a slur in American English.
Well that’s great for you, I guess? :roll: :roll: :roll:
I don't think it's one thing or the other for me. It's just my understanding. It would appear to be the understanding of TPTB at Jeopardy at this point as well since they're willing to accept "gypsy" as a correct response. If someone wants to convince me (and them) that that this should change, I'm open to that. I'm open to not using the OK symbol anymore as well and not wearing my aloha shirts. But it's going to take more than a few declarative statements to make me change.

You're already convinced. That's great for you, I guess? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Aloha shirts? Wait, what? That's a bad thing now?
I wish I could say I just threw that in as a goof, because that would be in character for me. Unfortunately, as Cecil Adams once said, reality has me outgunned. Read it and weep:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-ex ... 1591635085

I can totally understand why someone named ParrotRob would be concerned.
Yeah, the Boogaloo Boys I know I've heard of, because, well, goofy name, stick to brain. The idea that "Because: extremists wear popular clothes, Then: no one should wear popular clothes" needs to be pushed back against, and hard.

(Post moved out of Daily Recap thread.)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:52 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:28 pm
ParrotRob wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:16 pm Aloha shirts? Wait, what? That's a bad thing now?
I wish I could say I just threw that in as a goof, because that would be in character for me. Unfortunately, as Cecil Adams once said, reality has me outgunned. Read it and weep:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-ex ... 1591635085

I can totally understand why someone named ParrotRob would be concerned.
Yeah, the Boogaloo Boys I know I've heard of, because, well, goofy name, stick to brain. The idea that "Because: extremists wear popular clothes, Then: no one should wear popular clothes" needs to be pushed back against, and hard.

(Post moved out of Daily Recap thread.)
I learned that some of the Boogaloo groups had co-opted Aloha shirts along with camouflage just as camo print was becoming one of my go-to fashion neutrals. Baseball caps, Crocs, capris, yoga pants, purses, backpacks, pandemic face masks, etc. You name it, I've got it in camo, and I'm not about to give it up. And on behalf of my Hawaiian-born mom and lots of relations in Hawaii, my Aloha wear is loud 'n' proud. Anyone who questions my fashion choices can talk to my little friend:
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

So what’s up with UFOs in the news recently?

Pentagon report says the Navy sightings are legitimate. Nobody has given any good earthly explanation for that. The idea that China or Russia has leapfrogged our technology is being touted as non-credible. Private companies seem like they’re actively promoting their advances and not hiding it unless it’s classified. I think the former head of the Israeli space program, who was reportedly a serious person and not a crack pot, mentioned that it was an open secret that something is happening.

It looks like conventional wisdom has flipped and the smart take is now that space aliens are actively visiting us.

So we’re being visited by space aliens right? This is about to become huge news?

Am I really gullible?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:50 pm So what’s up with UFOs in the news recently?

Pentagon report says the Navy sightings are legitimate. Nobody has given any good earthly explanation for that. The idea that China or Russia has leapfrogged our technology is being touted as non-credible. Private companies seem like they’re actively promoting their advances and not hiding it unless it’s classified. I think the former head of the Israeli space program, who was reportedly a serious person and not a crack pot, mentioned that it was an open secret that something is happening.

It looks like conventional wisdom has flipped and the smart take is now that space aliens are actively visiting us.

So we’re being visited by space aliens right? This is about to become huge news?

Am I really gullible?
I just heard that The New Yorker Radio Hour is doing a report on it this weekend. Will probably be available tomorrow morning-
https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/tn ... r/episodes
The show is always worth a listen.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

The doves are back!

Considering getting a trail camera...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Sporcle has reached 4 billion quizzes played.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 4.47.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 4.47.07 AM.png (237.33 KiB) Viewed 3648 times
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Turd Ferguson.jpg
Turd Ferguson.jpg (59.82 KiB) Viewed 3639 times
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Isn't this where we talk about crossword clues? The LA Times puzzle of May 1 (never mind where I saw it) had the clue '___ Kelly, woman with the most lifetime "Jeopardy!" winnings' (7).
I'm smart and I want respect.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Lefty wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:08 am Isn't this where we talk about crossword clues? The LA Times puzzle of May 1 (never mind where I saw it) had the clue '___ Kelly, woman with the most lifetime "Jeopardy!" winnings' (7).
Yes, many times. Though not always: viewtopic.php?p=354483#p354483