Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett »

Rob/Lillian/Steve 1992 mentioned in the Old thread is 4/1/92 and the game with THEATRE shown as the FJ! category is 4/2.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Spoiler for the University Challenge finale:
Spoiler
Brandon Blackwell (formerly Saunders) and his Imperial College, London team claimed the 2019/20 University Challenge championship.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:13 pm Spoiler for the University Challenge finale:
Spoiler
Brandon Blackwell (formerly Saunders) and his Imperial College, London team claimed the 2019/20 University Challenge championship.
Brandon isn't the first J! alum to be on a winning University Challenge team. John-Clark Levin(Who lost to Keith Whitener) was on the winning University Challenge team two years ago.
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=26721
Kino Lober have provided us with an official domestic trailer for the recent 4K restoration of Phillip Borsos' film The Grey Fox (1982), starring Richard Farnsworth, Jackie Burroughs, Ken Pogue, Timothy Webber, and Gary Reineke.
A Blu-ray release of the restoration is expected to arrive on the market later this year
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

cthulhu wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:41 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:10 am
cthulhu wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:14 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:20 am (No, I haven't seen Fanny and Alexander. I doubt it would make me change my mind. In any event, Martin Guerre should at least have been nominated.)
You should see Fanny and Alexander; it is extraordinarily good, and should have been nominated and victorious in the Best Picture category. One of my all-time favorites.
Have you seen The Return of Martin Guerre? Or are we both speaking from half ignorance?
Touché! I’ll put it on my list... 8-)
Now streaming at Kanopy.com

https://www.kanopy.com/product/return-martin-guerre

If you've got a local library card, you may have free access to this.

I've tentatively decided NOT to see the Fanny and Alexander movie. But I have a good excuse. Apparently, Bergman prepared an unabridged 312 minute version that aired as 5 episodes (I think) on Swedish TV. It's supposed to be quite good and the extra time isn't just padding. My local library has a DVD set that includes both the theatrical release and the TV version. Once the world opens up again, I'll check that out and likely opt to put the full-length version in my DVD tray.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

And today the draft bleeds into J! as well. Damnit, ABC. Damnit, commentators. Damnit, NFL. You're worse than the Oscars at overruns!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:04 am And today the draft bleeds into J! as well. Damnit, ABC. Damnit, commentators. Damnit, NFL. You're worse than the Oscars at overruns!
Pretty insulting to do so for the second round.

So if anyone out there can send a link, it would be appreciated (especially given the dwindling number of new episodes) ...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:57 am
Volante wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:04 am And today the draft bleeds into J! as well. Damnit, ABC. Damnit, commentators. Damnit, NFL. You're worse than the Oscars at overruns!
Pretty insulting to do so for the second round.

So if anyone out there can send a link, it would be appreciated (especially given the dwindling number of new episodes) ...
I'll have a link up later today. Watch this spot.

Happy World Penguin Day, everyone!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:01 am
alietr wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:57 am So if anyone out there can send a link, it would be appreciated (especially given the dwindling number of new episodes) ...

And here we go. I'm loving my new 20 mbps upload speed.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wWkcK ... XH31zK755V

Google says it's still processing the video (not sure how long that takes), but it can be downloaded immediately and watched via any mp4 player.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

So JBoard apparently doesn't have the option to adjust for DST, eh? I just noticed my posts were being labeled an hour early for my local time. I guess that doesn't affect the actual time stamp, just how it adjusts that time stamp to display for me.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:20 am
alietr wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:57 am So if anyone out there can send a link, it would be appreciated (especially given the dwindling number of new episodes) ...

Google says it's still processing the video (not sure how long that takes), but it can be downloaded immediately and watched via any mp4 player.
The best darn penguin in the whole Southern hemisphere!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:05 am

The best darn penguin in the whole Southern hemisphere!

Funny how when I talk about this stuff it’s called pirating.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
davey

Post by davey »

Did you run out for some herring? Final Jeopardy is missing!... :) (I found it elsewhere by googling.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:33 pm Did you run out for some herring? Final Jeopardy is missing!... :) (I found it elsewhere by googling.)
Or you could just look at the Friday thread ...
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:40 pm
davey wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:33 pm Did you run out for some herring? Final Jeopardy is missing!... :) (I found it elsewhere by googling.)
Or you could just look at the Friday thread ...
And lose all the inherent drama? Besides, I need the think music to concentrate! Considering the muddled sound and cropped image that I found, the thread may have been better. But I probably would have blown it anyway.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

EDIT: Never mind to this post. Original link works now. Do we no longer have the ability to delete our mistakes or am I just not seeing that button?
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:33 pm

Did you run out for some herring? Final Jeopardy is missing!... :) (I found it elsewhere by googling.)
Original link should include FJ now. Here's a link in case it still doesn't. Not sure what happened.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jcJ6M ... _UBMD5cS_0
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:40 am Funny how when I talk about this stuff it’s called pirating.
Under the law, my occasional uploads may be considered "pirating" I suppose. Ethically, I feel there's a world of difference or I wouldn't do it. I'm not providing paid-for content to people who are looking to get out of paying. I'm not diminishing Sony's ad revenue or the ad revenue of local affiliates that air Jeopardy! (or, as the case may be, choose not to). My effect on the monetary value of the Jeopardy! brand is either nil or a very tiny net positive. The net positive comes from allowing the discussion to continue here and to include those with legal access to the show in ordinary circumstances who were deprived of the ability to see it. To the extent that this board constitutes free publicity, my upload can only increase the value of the brand.

I'm not sure what "this stuff" is that you were talking about, but I'd bet it's not what I outlined. I suspect most boardies make similar ethical distinctions to the ones I'm making in this regard.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Fun fact: We are five years further in time from the opening of Star Wars than the opening of Star Wars was from the opening of The Wizard of Oz.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:06 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:40 am Funny how when I talk about this stuff it’s called pirating.
Under the law, my occasional uploads may be considered "pirating" I suppose. Ethically, I feel there's a world of difference or I wouldn't do it. I'm not providing paid-for content to people who are looking to get out of paying. I'm not diminishing Sony's ad revenue or the ad revenue of local affiliates that air Jeopardy! (or, as the case may be, choose not to). My effect on the monetary value of the Jeopardy! brand is either nil or a very tiny net positive. The net positive comes from allowing the discussion to continue here and to include those with legal access to the show in ordinary circumstances who were deprived of the ability to see it. To the extent that this board constitutes free publicity, my upload can only increase the value of the brand.

I'm not sure what "this stuff" is that you were talking about, but I'd bet it's not what I outlined. I suspect most boardies make similar ethical distinctions to the ones I'm making in this regard.
I don't see how you are not providing a free episode to someone who didn't pay for it. Weather someone is looking to get out of paying or not, you are still providing said content.

But if this is what makes it OK, then it is totally OK what I was accused of pirating for. I had stated some of us could get together and take turns with recording and providing said recordings so nobody misses a day, and so nobody would have to do it every day of the week all season long.

What I was suggesting and what you are providing here are no different that I can see; yet I was told I was supporting pirating of the show.
Total game show career losings = $171,522