Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by econgator »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:48 pm
Volante wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:56 pm Glad I'm not a Lions fan...what a way to get into the record books
Not to mention the blatant no-call on delay of game right before.
I still don't understand why the refs can't have a tone in their ears when the play clock hits zero.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:38 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:48 pm
Volante wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:56 pm Glad I'm not a Lions fan...what a way to get into the record books
Not to mention the blatant no-call on delay of game right before.
I still don't understand why the refs can't have a tone in their ears when the play clock hits zero.
Same reason they still eyeball where the ball goes down. (The chains are literally only there to cause drama...)

There appears to be a 1+ sec bonus, in that the ref responsible watches the clock, and when it hits zero, turns and sees if the ball is snapped.
Also, the lower third clock isn't synched to the game clock. If the graphics guy started it early, *shrug.*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

The CC for You Bet Your Life With Jay Leno is hilariously bad.

Dan & Jovan got their total up to $1500 and the CC had, "Janet Yellen now fifteen hundred dollars." :lol:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

You Bet Your Life on 9/30 had a contestant with a certain level of fame: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zack_Hample

He and his playing partner had the category of Philadelphia and they went 5/5 (did not get the CarGurus word for $500) to split $5K.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:04 pm
Quite the kick to get a crossbar dink to go the right way. Lions fans are used to it going back to the Dempsey 63-yd one more than 50 years ago.

Everyone had the Chiefs all alone in last after 3 weeks, right?
Random comments:
1) The FG record was going to go down, but the rule change a while back just made it take a while. Justin Tucker and Harrison Butker (Chiefs) both can hit 70 yards and there are several other equally strong kickers. The rule change putting the ball back on the spot of the miss instead of the 20 (?) is another example of how good the NFL is at tweaking the game. If they could just fix the 40 yard penalty for DPI.

2) I always root for the Lions, Bengals, and even the Bears out of empathy for their poor fans. I can't bring myself to support the Cowboys as long as the Jones' own them (I can't remember the new PC term for the owners). Conversely, no love for the Patriots, Steelers, Saints, or Seahawks because of their entitled fans (and their success ;)). The Packers have lost me due to the baby hissy fit from Aaron Rodgers.

3) A record FG will never happen against the Chiefs. The opposing team would line up and miss the 66 yarder, and get another shot because of a neutral zone infraction, giving them a 61 yarder :roll: . Or, the coach will just call a deep ball on 4th and forever and get a new set of downs for DPI and a chip shot untimed down.

4) I'm not surprised the Chiefs are 1-2. I'm pleasantly surprised that they are in last place. It's good for the division, and I hope the Chargers and Broncos have put out their dumpster fires. Maybe the Chiefs defense will gel again like last season, and maybe they can do better game management. The turnover problems are not the root cause.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Golf

Post by Golf »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:55 am 1) The FG record was going to go down, but the rule change a while back just made it take a while. Justin Tucker and Harrison Butker (Chiefs) both can hit 70 yards and there are several other equally strong kickers. The rule change putting the ball back on the spot of the miss instead of the 20 (?) is another example of how good the NFL is at tweaking the game. If they could just fix the 40 yard penalty for DPI.
The other team taking possession at the spot of the kick has been in place since 1993. From the 70’s until then they took over at the line of scrimmage.

For decades now the only time teams will try 60+ yard FG’s is at the end of the first half or end of game.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Golf wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:12 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:55 am 1) The FG record was going to go down, but the rule change a while back just made it take a while. Justin Tucker and Harrison Butker (Chiefs) both can hit 70 yards and there are several other equally strong kickers. The rule change putting the ball back on the spot of the miss instead of the 20 (?) is another example of how good the NFL is at tweaking the game. If they could just fix the 40 yard penalty for DPI.
The other team taking possession at the spot of the kick has been in place since 1993. From the 70’s until then they took over at the line of scrimmage.

For decades now the only time teams will try 60+ yard FG’s is at the end of the first half or end of game.
I can offhand think of two games last season when 58 yard field goals were attempted (and made) at other times, which I think would have been unthinkable in years past. To be fair, one was the game where the Broncos were playing without a quarterback, and it was their best chance not to get shut out. The other was a game where the Chiefs were down 11 to the Chargers and sent Butker in mid-third quarter.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

The Cubs' battery against the Cardinals tonight is Abbott and Castillo.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:12 pm The Cubs' battery against the Cardinals tonight is Abbott and Castillo.
(Groan)

I'm not going to start it :lol: I think we just went through that a few weeks back :roll: .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:04 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:12 pm The Cubs' battery against the Cardinals tonight is Abbott and Castillo.
(Groan)

I'm not going to start it :lol: I think we just went through that a few weeks back :roll: .
I mean, that's how I've been referring to the team now... Who? What? I don't know. I'll look it up tomorrow...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

Rockies use the Mike Richards Dick Cheney method to find their new GM
https://deadspin.com/rockies-take-fast- ... 1847788554
...on Saturday, Colorado named Bill Schmidt, who has been serving as the interim GM, as the permanent man for the job.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

So, I just caught the end of Wheel and uhhhhh, yeah....

So, in the Final Spin round, the letters are worth $6000 each. The middle lady doesn't get it and the guy on the right guesses the puzzle without calling another letter. He still won the night, but I would have laughed my ass off if he came up just short.

But then, in the Bonus Round, his puzzle started with "_N AN ..." and he keeps on sounding out , "In a ... In a ... In a ...".

Needless to say, he didn't get it and missed out on $100K
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:02 pm So, I just caught the end of Wheel and uhhhhh, yeah....

So, in the Final Spin round, the letters are worth $6000 each. The middle lady doesn't get it and the guy on the right guesses the puzzle without calling another letter. He still won the night, but I would have laughed my ass off if he came up just short.

But then, in the Bonus Round, his puzzle started with "_N AN ..." and he keeps on sounding out , "In a ... In a ... In a ...".

He only won by about $2000 so it was close. Even funnier was the lady in the middle spit out the answer after the buzzer to hand it to him.

I felt bad for the woman on the left. She had a huge lead (and the million dollar wedge) and got the final spin and landed on the $5,000 spot. She didn’t look happy about it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Contestant on YBYL: I'm keeping my money.
CCer for YBYL: I'm keeping my Pokemon. :lol:
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:02 pm So, I just caught the end of Wheel and uhhhhh, yeah....

Even overlooking that, he had called great letters and still came nowhere close to it... :roll:
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Ken Jennings announced this morning that he will be ending his Tuesday Trivia e-mail feature with Tuesday Trivia DCCC (800). He cited as the reason conflicts of schedule and interest with his travel and duties writing for Jeopardy! and his other paid gigs (Kennections, his books), along with the difficulty of coming up with novel Google-proof Question Sevens. Here, courtesy my e-mail archive, is the first Tuesday Trivia, from July 4, 2006:
Spoiler
Welcome to the debut installment of the weekly Ken-Jennings.com trivia mailing. A new seven-question quiz from Ken will appear in your inbox every Tuesday. Why Tuesday? Mostly for the alliteration in the subject line, honestly. I guess it could have been "Monday Marginalia" or "Friday Effluvia." But it's not.

Each week, you can just puzzle through the questions for your own enjoyment, or you can send in your answers every week and match wits against the other players. Submission instructions appear below.

Note to our international readers: we apologize (or "apologise," if that makes you feel more at home) if there's an inherent American or Anglophone slant in the questions. That bias will probably continue every week, and isn't just because today is the Fourth of July. One of the few privileges of being "the last superpower" is that we don't have to answer trivia questions on cricket if we don't want to.

THIS WEEK'S QUIZ:

1. What artistic director of London's Old Vic theatre shaved his head for a 2006 movie role?

2. What country was called "Northern Rhodesia" until 1964?

3. Who got his famous nickname from a Butte, Montana city jailer after he crashed his motorcycle in a 1956 police chase?

4. Who or what lives in a formicarium?

5. Who was the last U.S. President to have facial hair in office? (Nixonian stubble doesn't count.)

6. What piece of sports equipment is typically composed of 20 hexagons and 12 pentagons?

7. What do these four literary characters have in common: Charles Darnay, Tom Brown, Jane Bennet, and Fyodor Karamazov?
-------------------------------------------
As with all good trivia, it would take you about 30 seconds to Google the answers to the first six questions above. So you're on the honor system here: no peeking, and only send in the answers you knew off the top of your head. Answers will appear in next week's mailing.

I'll keep informal running totals on the blog and message boards at Ken-Jennings.com, so check for the leaderboard there. The seventh and final question every week will be a "What do they have in common?" question, designed to be harder to Google. If and when I arrange to send out goodies to high scorers, it will be on the basis of these seventh questions only.

Send responses to [email protected] by noon Pacific each following Monday. You have received this e-mail because your address was submitted to the mailing list at www.ken-jennings.com. If you were subscribed in error, or wish to unsubscribe at any time, send that request to [email protected].
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:37 am Ken Jennings announced this morning that he will be ending his Tuesday Trivia e-mail feature with Tuesday Trivia DCCC (800). He cited as the reason conflicts of schedule and interest with his travel and duties writing for Jeopardy! and his other paid gigs (Kennections, his books), along with the difficulty of coming up with novel Google-proof Question Sevens. Here, courtesy my e-mail archive, is the first Tuesday Trivia, from July 4, 2006:
Spoiler
Welcome to the debut installment of the weekly Ken-Jennings.com trivia mailing. A new seven-question quiz from Ken will appear in your inbox every Tuesday. Why Tuesday? Mostly for the alliteration in the subject line, honestly. I guess it could have been "Monday Marginalia" or "Friday Effluvia." But it's not.

Each week, you can just puzzle through the questions for your own enjoyment, or you can send in your answers every week and match wits against the other players. Submission instructions appear below.

Note to our international readers: we apologize (or "apologise," if that makes you feel more at home) if there's an inherent American or Anglophone slant in the questions. That bias will probably continue every week, and isn't just because today is the Fourth of July. One of the few privileges of being "the last superpower" is that we don't have to answer trivia questions on cricket if we don't want to.

THIS WEEK'S QUIZ:

1. What artistic director of London's Old Vic theatre shaved his head for a 2006 movie role?

2. What country was called "Northern Rhodesia" until 1964?

3. Who got his famous nickname from a Butte, Montana city jailer after he crashed his motorcycle in a 1956 police chase?

4. Who or what lives in a formicarium?

5. Who was the last U.S. President to have facial hair in office? (Nixonian stubble doesn't count.)

6. What piece of sports equipment is typically composed of 20 hexagons and 12 pentagons?

7. What do these four literary characters have in common: Charles Darnay, Tom Brown, Jane Bennet, and Fyodor Karamazov?
-------------------------------------------
As with all good trivia, it would take you about 30 seconds to Google the answers to the first six questions above. So you're on the honor system here: no peeking, and only send in the answers you knew off the top of your head. Answers will appear in next week's mailing.

I'll keep informal running totals on the blog and message boards at Ken-Jennings.com, so check for the leaderboard there. The seventh and final question every week will be a "What do they have in common?" question, designed to be harder to Google. If and when I arrange to send out goodies to high scorers, it will be on the basis of these seventh questions only.

Send responses to [email protected] by noon Pacific each following Monday. You have received this e-mail because your address was submitted to the mailing list at www.ken-jennings.com. If you were subscribed in error, or wish to unsubscribe at any time, send that request to [email protected].
End of an era (or at least, a period).
I'm smart and I want respect.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

An interview with Erik Agard about crosswords and little bit about him on J!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 030158001/
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:20 pm An interview with Erik Agard about crosswords and little bit about him on J!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 030158001/
Whoa! He got a haircut!
clprez

Post by clprez »

Continuing on with the Lions losing with last minute field goals against them. There have been 3 times that the Lions have lost by a game ending field goal with the score of 19-17. Two of them were by record setting lengths.