Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by econgator »

Now THIS is a perfect game:

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2021/04 ... 618229710/

Apparently, she never even got to Ball 3 on any batter.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Has there never been a game with only strike pitches?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:49 pm Has there never been a game with only strike pitches?
I would bet large sums of money that never has -- and never will -- happen.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Today I was playing the game Puzzly Words (4 one-minute rounds, 16 letter tiles per round with Scrabble values, try to use them all in up to three words of 2-8 letters in length) and was up against an Allyson whose user picture (which, if you play through your Facebook account as I do, is just your FB profile picture) was of a woman on the J! set with Alex Trebek. Luckily not a lot of Allysons have been J! contestants, so Allyson Samiljan wasn't hard to find and verify as the person in the picture; her first game is here: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6449

A few observations:
- a game last week had a player who won in a TS covering third place, but not second, from the lead, and Allyson did the same; like last week's player, she would have won with the regular cover wager, but her choice saved her a few thousand bucks.
- I got that FJ wrong the first time around; I didn't particularly remember the clue this time, and ended up thinking of the same incorrect response. However, this time I knew enough of my incorrect response to rule him out, and ended up making the right choice.
- in an article about her win, she said she was thinking of the right person, but remembered everything about him except his name.

I found she wasn't in the J! contestants' Facebook group, so I messaged her to say hey, we were two J! champs playing each other, and that there was this group if she wanted to be in it. Who knows if she'll ever see the message.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

econgator wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:33 pm
Robert K S wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:49 pm Has there never been a game with only strike pitches?
I will gladly take your bet that it will never happen. Name your odds and send me your wager by PayPal.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:33 pm While watching a Nov. 2020 TV show I failed to recognize this guest star (born in 1965) whose fame comes being on a sitcom for 6 years in the 1980s as well as dozens of appearances a celebrity player on game shows
Spoiler
Who it is:
Spoiler
Lauri Hendler who played the middle daughter on Gimme a Break and was a very capable player on versions of Pyramid and Password. This week she played a SAT tutor on American Housewife.
She also had a guest appearance on an episode of Young Sheldon recently as well.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

All instances in the wild must be reported. Today I was watching a Tom & Jerry cartoon, "O-Solar-Meow":
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:44 pm All instances in the wild must be reported. Today I was watching a Tom & Jerry cartoon, "O-Solar-Meow":
Spoiler
Nice catch! I didn't see it on the first run-through even though as soon as I saw Limburger, I knew what I was looking for.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's not just the captioner for J! that can have some errors as today Toony introduced a cartoon the captioner called, "Road Warner". :lol:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:47 am It's not just the captioner for J! that can have some errors as today Toony introduced a cartoon the captioner called, "Road Warner". :lol:
Sounds like a new Animaniacs sketch... "Mad Wak, The Road Warner"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:47 am It's not just the captioner for J! that can have some errors as today Toony introduced a cartoon the captioner called, "Road Warner". :lol:
He's trying to signal that The Coyote's after you.
OCSam
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:47 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:33 pm
I will gladly take your bet that it will never happen. Name your odds and send me your wager by PayPal.
In the movie The Scout (it's 25 years old so I'm not worrying about spoilers), Brendan Fraser plays a baseball phenom signed by the Yankees. In his debut, he pitches a perfect game, striking out every batter on three pitches. I think he also hits some home runs.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Moved from the FJ 4/12/21 thread.
Volante wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:46 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:13 pm (snip)
It's been a major driver of history in the West.

https://www.usbr.gov/lc/phoenix/AZ100/1 ... hting.html
And the reason Colorado residents can't collect rain water

(Technically it looks like they can now, per https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-a ... ado-6-707/
But there's a catch:
diverting and storing water is allowed only during times when all water rights in the basin are satisfied
)
To be precise, that was (and is for large buildings) the case. The law linked created a small exception to the basic "senior rights" principle so that single-family homeowners didn't have to track whether or not senior water rights were satisfied before they put a basin under their downspout.

As Kirk previously said, "the history of water in the West is pretty interesting and very important historically." It can be very arcane, but there have been some fascinating episodes. It's still a little jarring for western slope newcomers to be told that the rain that falls on their lawns might belong Nevada or California, while Front Range rainfall may belong to Kansas or Nebraska.

We have a local legal brouhaha taking place now -- Thornton (in the Denver metro area) purchased senior water rights to the Poudre River some years ago. Larimer County 50 miles north of Thornton acknowledges the rights of access, but has disapproved construction of the pipeline needed to transport the water, and conservationists are fighting Thornton about whether or not the water should be taken from the river upstream from Fort Collins the way Thornton wants to, or downstream of Fort Collins to keep the river more viable through town.

There are quite a few lawyers who make pretty good livings litigating water rights in the western half of the country. Then they drink whiskey after fighting about water. Sometimes before. Often during.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I Google and browse a ton of random stuff in my pursuit of learning more random stuff.

My targeted ads are getting real weird. I got an ad for the International Criminal Court and then an ad for the Heimlich Maneuver.

No idea what I'm supposed to buy.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Hey guys. This is going to sound strange, but hear me out. I'm dealing with a significant issue where I believe I am being targeted by an APT. These hackers are using a man-in-the-middle attack against me, meaning they are interfering with all of my phone calls and almost all of my emails. For some reason, social media posts like Twitter, Reddit, and here work just fine. I'd rather keep this problem private, but if this is the only way I know for sure my message will get through (and get through to a trustworthy group of people), then I just have to bite the bullet, swallow my pride, and post this message asking for your help.

If any Boardie has experience dealing with APTs and man-in-the-middle attacks, please reach out to me. I'm in serious trouble. Also, I'll pay you for your time and effort, which is only the right thing to do.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It's World Penguin Day!

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:16 am It's World Penguin Day!
Spoiler
You couldn't post a video where the penguin wins! Oh well, happy World Penguin Day anyway!

https://www.kansascityzoo.org/animal-cam/penguin-camera
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:30 pm I do love that Soccer is an everyman's game and can be played with limited equipment and facilities, and mostly simple rules. I just think it needs some tweaking to create viewable content and suspenseful games. I don't know enough about it to suggest tweaks, but something has to be done about the nil-nil outcomes and the insurmountable one-goal lead.
Moving my comment from the "FJs for the 4/19/21 week" thread.

I've been saying this for years but its gotten no traction:

-Put in a shot clock.
-Remove the goalkeeper.
-Make the goals smaller.

Some defenders may be forced to guard the goal and the offsides rule can be removed.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Golf

Post by Golf »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:30 pm I do love that Soccer is an everyman's game and can be played with limited equipment and facilities, and mostly simple rules. I just think it needs some tweaking to create viewable content and suspenseful games. I don't know enough about it to suggest tweaks, but something has to be done about the nil-nil outcomes and the insurmountable one-goal lead.
MattKnowles wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:22 pm Moving my comment from the "FJs for the 4/19/21 week" thread.

I've been saying this for years but its gotten no traction:

-Put in a shot clock.
-Remove the goalkeeper.
-Make the goals smaller.

Some defenders may be forced to guard the goal and the offsides rule can be removed.
But that's not soccer.

Soccer is huge on the vast majority of the planet, just because an isolated country or two doesn't much care for the pace or excitement doesn't warrant a change affecting billions of current fans.