Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by debramc »

My point was I had the impression they didn't know what kind of radioactive material he had until they got there, and his professed goal was to split atoms. I didn't say they should've sent in hazmat, just was surprised they didn't.
Also, I know there's a big difference between various kinds of radioactive materials, but does the average police dispatcher?
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

debramc wrote:My point was I had the impression they didn't know what kind of radioactive material he had until they got there, and his professed goal was to split atoms. I didn't say they should've sent in hazmat, just was surprised they didn't.
Also, I know there's a big difference between various kinds of radioactive materials, but does the average police dispatcher?
He said he was trying to split atoms, not make a dirty bomb. There was absolutely no reason to send any kind of special units. It was probably an overkill even to arrest him. There was no indication that he was dangerous or uncooperative.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Restaurant marquee of the day:

"Heisenberg May Have Eaten Here"
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

alietr wrote:Restaurant marquee of the day:

Better than any comment relating to Schroedinger's Cat and the superposition of possible outcomes of eating there...
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

gnash wrote:
debramc wrote:My point was I had the impression they didn't know what kind of radioactive material he had until they got there, and his professed goal was to split atoms. I didn't say they should've sent in hazmat, just was surprised they didn't.
He said he was trying to split atoms, not make a dirty bomb. There was absolutely no reason to send any kind of special units. It was probably an overkill even to arrest him. There was no indication that he was dangerous or uncooperative.
I'm not so sure about that. Imagine how angry he must be when he realizes that you can't split an atom with a knife.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Could be dangerous if the restaurant were in Albuquerque.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I knew I shoulda taken that left turn!
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Feynman saw that and said, "Surely, you must be joking."

Pauli saw it and said, "That's not even wrong!"
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Dan Uggla just got a single and has extended his hitting streak to 30 games. His current batting average is .221 (he was at .178 when he started). That alone may make it the most impressive hitting streak ever. I can't imagine that anyone else with 30+ games has had so low an average.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

econgator wrote:Dan Uggla just got a single and has extended his hitting streak to 30 games. His current batting average is .221 (he was at .178 when he started). That alone may make it the most impressive hitting streak ever. I can't imagine that anyone else with 30+ games has had so low an average.
The ESPN article basically confirms your hunch:
Uggla finished 1-for-6 against his former club and is hitting .220 on the season. He was batting .173 when his streak began, the lowest average for any hitter with more than 10 at-bats at the start of a 30-game streak since at least 1918, according to STATS LLC.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
garosgeorge
Contributor

Post by garosgeorge »

eugene-i just got around to reading "wolf hall"...have you written/posted anything about THOMAS cromwell in the past and if so could you please repost it

yours,
george tudoropoulos
EugeneF
Valued Contributor

Post by EugeneF »

garosgeorge wrote:eugene-i just got around to reading "wolf hall"...have you written/posted anything about THOMAS cromwell in the past and if so could you please repost it

yours,
george tudoropoulos
I am delighted that you have found us. And yes, Thomas Cromwell has inspired a RDA of Irony
July 28

On this day in 1540, Thomas Cromwell was beheaded. It is gratifying when bad things happen to bad people. Ironically, the ruthless politician was condemned for one of the few times when he was not thoroughly reprehensible. Cromwell had connived the condemnation and death of Thomas More. Technically, disagreeing with the King could be construed as treason; building a case based on rhetorical quibbles, Cromwell destroyed More. Henry VIII was impressed with this peasant-stock lawyer and Cromwell rose in the bureaucratic firmament.

Ever obliging to the King's desires, Cromwell then arranged a quick end to Henry's second marriage. Anne Boleyn was an ambitious shrew but being obnoxious was not a capital crime. Cheating on the King was, and Cromwell had five men--including the queen's brother-- seized and tortured until one of them confessed to orgies with Mrs. Tudor. All five were condemned to death and so was Anne Boleyn. For his crimes, Cromwell became the King's chief minister.

Unfortunately, in that capacity Cromwell started acting like a statesman instead of a hatchetman. Envisioning an alliance of the Protestant princes of Europe, Cromwell encouraged the marriage of Henry to Anne of Cleves, a duchess of northern Germany. Henry agreed--until he saw Anne. Diplomacy made a marriage unavoidable, but Henry was furious and you know whom he blamed. Cromwell was a dead man, but Henry--in his sociopathic way--had a code of honor. He did not want to feel like an ingrate for Cromwell's past services. So he first elevated the minister to an earldom--and then had Cromwell condemned to death.

But good toadies are hard to find, and Henry began to miss Cromwell. As a hint of apology, King allowed the Cromwell family to have some estates and granted the title of baron to his late minister's son. The fourth Baron Cromwell (the great-great grandson of Thomas) would fight for Charles I and be elevated to the Earldom of Ardglass. Of course, the war did not end well for King Charles, and the Earl of Ardglass had to make peace with the Parliamentary forces. He got off with a fine; having the last name of Cromwell did no harm. Apparently Cousin Oliver had some influence.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

This has got be counted as one of the few good episodes involving a Cousin Oliver.....
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

I just saw this nice article on Justin Sausville in the newspaper. He and his wife were on competing teams in "It's Academic", and that's how they met. I never had much luck picking up guys at my high school quiz matches, although one all-male team tried to throw me off my game once by everyone taking off their shirts during the match. It didn't work.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainme ... 7851.story
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

You should have taken off your shirt. That would have thrown them off!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Megan's story just gave me a vision of Sheldon, Leonard, Raj and Howard topless. Scary.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:I just saw this nice article on Justin Sausville in the newspaper. He and his wife were on competing teams in "It's Academic", and that's how they met. I never had much luck picking up guys at my high school quiz matches, although one all-male team tried to throw me off my game once by everyone taking off their shirts during the match. It didn't work.
I never had any luck picking up women at my high school or college quiz bowl tournaments. Wait, scratch "at my high school or college quiz bowl tournaments" from that last sentence.

This does remind me of a couple of stories about guys trying to pick up my sister when she and my mom used to go watch me play at my high school tournaments. My junior year at a tournament, a guy from one of the other teams walked up to our table and proposed to her while we were eating lunch at the high school's cafeteria.

And my sophomore year, we went and competed at the state tournament on a Saturday. The following Monday morning I checked my email at school and got an email from a guy who was on one of the teams there--a team that we didn't even play--and it read something like "I was at the state tournament on Saturday. There was a blonde-headed girl sitting with your team who I wanted to talk to but never got a chance to. I saw [on your aol profile] that you are on the quiz bowl team at your high school. Do you know who she is?" I told him that she was my sister and that I would ask her if it was okay to give him her screen name on AIM. She said it was okay, and I did, and they ended up meeting up one time, but I don't think that she was too impressed with him.

She didn't go to a single one of my tournaments my senior year.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Bamaman wrote:Megan's story just gave me a vision of Sheldon, Leonard, Raj and Howard topless. Scary.
That's about right. StevenH's story reminds me that I did have better luck with the guys at the chess center when I drove my brother there for games.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So how did you meet Mr. Barnes?
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Bamaman wrote:So how did you meet Mr. Barnes?
Even though my odds were much better in Masterminds, which was probably only 20% female/80% male, I met him through our service in the Jesuit Volunteer Corps, where those percentages were flipped.