Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by alietr »

Interrupting the movie discussion for a moment ... a world map with countries sized according to population.

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

davey wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:55 am
squarekara wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:01 am Moonstruck?
Broadcast News?
both released in '87
I always wait until they open at the cheap theaters! ;)
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:24 am
davey wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:59 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:19 pm
davey wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:46 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:22 pm Adding to the Monday 9/20 game thread side discussion.

One more occurred to me: Coming to America - The experience was memorable for the theater being crowded enough and my being with enough friends that we could not all sit in the same row.
OK, I'll "dip" in again-
Gorillas in the Mist
Crossing Delancey
Stand and Deliver
Let's Get Lost
Scrooged
The Last Temptation of Christ - OK, not great, but it's Scorsese! And I attended at the Ziegfeld Theater in NY in the face of pickets and threats...
The Vanishing - the original Dutch version only! - still probably the most frightening movie I've ever seen.
The Thin Blue Line was already mentioned, but something more has to be said for a picture that helped get somebody out of jail - and has a Philip Glass score that still runs through my head...
All this, from my perspective, is kind of making my point.
That you don't like a lot of movies?
I checked out the 1989 Academy Awards and found some more-
The Accidental Tourist
Married to the Mob
Little Dorrit
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Wings of Desire (I actually hated this one, but many people loved it...)
Yes, there are a lot of movies I don't like. But this is more about movies that, while they may have had their moments, just weren't that great. There was very little to get excited about and see again years later. The cream of the crop was mostly milk. Didn't bother seeing Accidental Tourist. Never regretted that.
Understood, I feel the same way about The Grey Fox...Since I don't issue awards, it wouldn't occur to me to judge movies by year of release. (I suppose it would help for J! if I did!...) Also. there's a vast shift in texture between milk and turds in my experience...
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:28 am Interrupting the movie discussion for a moment ... a world map with countries sized according to population.

Poor Australia. No wait, poor Canada! America's Hat is little more than a paper plate on our heads now. And farewell Mongolia, we hardly knew ya!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Oh I found Mongolia. It's still there, but they put it south of China for some reason. Odd choice, in addition to not keeping Russia as a strip over China much like Canada is to the U.S.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:06 pm Oh I found Mongolia. It's still there, but they put it south of China for some reason. Odd choice, in addition to not keeping Russia as a strip over China much like Canada is to the U.S.
Yeah, Russia should have gone over China like Canada. Another gripe was that Hong Kong and Macau are shown separately. I can live with Burma over Myanmar, though. Damn, India and China are big. And if Bangladesh were still part of Pakistan ...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:43 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:06 pm Oh I found Mongolia. It's still there, but they put it south of China for some reason. Odd choice, in addition to not keeping Russia as a strip over China much like Canada is to the U.S.
Yeah, Russia should have gone over China like Canada. Another gripe was that Hong Kong and Macau are shown separately. I can live with Burma over Myanmar, though. Damn, India and China are big. And if Bangladesh were still part of Pakistan ...
But that would make it difficult to also have Russia border all the EU countries.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
pamelajaye
Contributor

Post by pamelajaye »

squarekara wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:07 am
davey wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:55 am
squarekara wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:01 am Moonstruck?
Broadcast News?
both released in '87
I always wait until they open at the cheap theaters! ;)
I used to do that. Then I went to, I wait until they are shown on TV. And then I don't know what happened. And then one day someone said "Robert Sean Leonard looks the same on House as he did on Dead Poets Society 19 years ago." And I said, maybe I've procrastinated too long!
And then I took it out of the library

So I have been looking at the title of this topic for years on the way to other topics, and I've always wondered what in the world it means. Is it just off topic?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

pamelajaye wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:23 pm So I have been looking at the title of this topic for years on the way to other topics, and I've always wondered what in the world it means. Is it just off topic?
I wasn't involved at the time, but if you go back to the first few posts on this thread from 10 years ago, you'll see some discussion regarding its origin.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

The Cardinals are making things interesting. Not so long ago, they had about a 6% chance of making the playoffs. Now they've won 12 in a row and 14 of their last 15. They just swept four games in Milwaukee (after going down 5-0 today). A split would have let the Brewers pop their corks with the Cardinals in town--now the magic number is still 3 and they'll have to wait a little longer.

I've been pondering whether it would be better to face the Dodgers in the WC and (hypothetically) the Giants in the NLDS or vice versa. I've decided that the best outcome for the Cardinals is if the Dodgers and Giants have to play a tiebreaker so the Dodgers have to use Scherzer. (Sorry, Mark.)
pamelajaye
Contributor

Post by pamelajaye »

squarekara wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:10 pm
pamelajaye wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:23 pm So I have been looking at the title of this topic for years on the way to other topics, and I've always wondered what in the world it means. Is it just off topic?
I wasn't involved at the time, but if you go back to the first few posts on this thread from 10 years ago, you'll see some discussion regarding its origin.
Thanks
pamelajaye
Contributor

Post by pamelajaye »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:16 pm
dhkendall wrote:So you're the instigator of our "misc rant thread" that defines the board? I always figured that was Eugene, he is inexorably tied to that thread that it's an honest mistake.
Yes, it was the summer of the election of 2004. I was spending a bunch of time on some other message boards and getting very tired of the acrimonious political talk. So when I got to the Jeopardy Board and found two or three threads dedicated to political whatever (in my memory it was negative, but it may have simply been regular old political debate viewed through the eyes of a guy who that particular day was just sick of it) I reported them, and they got deleted as off-topic. Not my proudest moment necessarily, but when the "Taken Down" thread and its "We're being supressed" rhetoric came up, I posted that hey, there's plenty of places on the internet for political talk, I come to the J! board to talk about Jeopardy. As a result, that thread became the de facto ghetto for such things, and when it was locked (and later deleted, for reasons I do not know) the Retaken Down thread sprang up in its place. It worked for me.

Over time I've mellowed, and I've spend so much time on the Millionaire "Bored" lately that off-topicness doesn't even faze me. And now, one of the goofy new smilies, just because: :ugeek:

And now you know... the rest of the story.

-M
Thank you.
Every time I come here, I see this subject header I wanted to say thread but voice to text didn't enjoy it. And I always wonder what it's about but I'm usually in a hurry to just go ask a question or say something and I don't come here all that much, but this afternoon I was trying to get someone from the Facebook Ken Jennings and all things Jeopardy group over here. And I was having trouble with the server apparently. It was slow and then it timed out and I figured it was because I had to go through the interstitial Facebook browser which I hate with all my soul, but apparently it was a problem over here because when I tried it again it worked just fine. In the meantime while I was waiting and trying to remember how to log in, I saw the thread again, and since I didn't have a question of my own, I thought to wonder by typing what this was all about. I didn't get as far as your post which I am now quoting but I did look at the first couple and figured it was an off topic thing. It just had such an interesting name! I just never had any time to figure out why. So I went to the end and mentioned that and someone whose name I already forget told me to come back and look a little bit more, and I had the time and now I understand. I know I didn't have to say all this. But I am glad that you did document what was going on, lo those many years ago.

I haven't spent a lot of time here. I used to read Ken Jennings blog back when he used to have one, But I think I stopped reading it before he stopped writing it. And now I'm just sort of on Facebook a lot. There are upsides to that and then there is the downside, you get to find out what everybody thinks about politics. And here we are again :-) which is information I could have lived without. My keyboard is touchy today. It throws in extra words I don't want... If you see any of them ignore them.

The reason I was sending whoever it was over here this afternoon was that he was talking about wagering and such and the group usually just discusses people. Honestly, there are a lot of posts that just say "Ken." Then again, Facebook doesn't have subject headers. Just incompetently done threading. Every now and then you know who someone is replying to. And yet I have been there since 2008 or 2009...
Anyway, I have two different books I should be reading. In addition to the other two books I was reading before... Or was it one book and a two-part history textbook. Well every now and then I get oh don't tell me I cannot remember this word motivated? Aspirational? Curious about what happened to immigration policy in the United States? Interested in what I missed in 11th grade history when I got sick and ended up in the hospital no wait That was 12th grade, and 11th grade I just got pneumonia and incompleted and had to retake it but at least I didn't have to write a term paper. Okay so you can see why term papers are not my thing. Once upon a time I wrote a good essay question answer about reconstruction. I don't remember a word but I was proud of it. So apparently I had some feelings about the issue. But that was back in the late '70s... I'm sure it got tossed along the way.
Did I mention I have this stream of consciousness thing going on?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:23 pm The Cardinals are making things interesting. Not so long ago, they had about a 6% chance of making the playoffs. Now they've won 12 in a row and 14 of their last 15. They just swept four games in Milwaukee (after going down 5-0 today). A split would have let the Brewers pop their corks with the Cardinals in town--now the magic number is still 3 and they'll have to wait a little longer.

I've been pondering whether it would be better to face the Dodgers in the WC and (hypothetically) the Giants in the NLDS or vice versa. I've decided that the best outcome for the Cardinals is if the Dodgers and Giants have to play a tiebreaker so the Dodgers have to use Scherzer. (Sorry, Mark.)
At no point this season did I consider the Cardinals out of it and what has happened this summer (and now fall) is no surprise. Too many guys with rings and/or skill.

From a NL West perspective the Dodgers have been haunted too many times by those Red Birds and hosting a one-gamer looks dreadful. The other side of the coin is winning the division and waiting to see who shows up who steal at least one of the first two NLDS games on the road at Dodger Stadium.

The Giants have had success recently against STL in the postseason and I know one Giants fan who still rewatches the Ishikawa pennant winner as a spirit booster. The Giants know they want to win the division to snap LA's string and they would be fine no matter who shows up at Oracle.

No matter which team has the rooting interest the loyal fan of the Cardinals, Giants or Dodgers has to look at scenarios and not feel as confident about the first two parts compared to facing Braves or Brewers in the NLCS.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Giants & Dodgers have never met in the postseason. If it happens there is going to be haunting pain for the losing team and its fans. No way it's 10-0 three games in a row.

One more thing about the Dodgers possibly playing STL is whether Pujols does anything to affect the outcomes.

Whatever happens in the NL will be way more entertaining and memorable than the boring AL with a bunch of villains, whether players or fans.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I believe the original "taken down" thread was begun by TomKbaltimoreBoy, who opined in the inaugural post that something and something and its acolytes, satire and something, should never be out of bounds. Its eventual deletion by Sony was a slap in the face to the many who had contributed to it, thoughtfully, for the most part. I'm sure there was a good book's worth of material in it, all up in smoke. What prompted this action was a religious debate between two posters that ran several pages by itself. I grant that it was tedious and should have been taken elsewhere but I don't excuse Sony, anymore than when they turned everybody's private information public at one point.
I'm smart and I want respect.
pamelajaye
Contributor

Post by pamelajaye »

More people get in trouble for satire...
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Lefty wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:38 pm I believe the original "taken down" thread was begun by TomKbaltimoreBoy, who opined in the inaugural post that something and something and its acolytes, satire and something, should never be out of bounds. Its eventual deletion by Sony was a slap in the face to the many who had contributed to it, thoughtfully, for the most part. I'm sure there was a good book's worth of material in it, all up in smoke. What prompted this action was a religious debate between two posters that ran several pages by itself. I grant that it was tedious and should have been taken elsewhere but I don't excuse Sony, anymore than when they turned everybody's private information public at one point.
After Taken Down was taken down, EugeneF began the Retaken Down thread, which got to be many hundreds of pages before the whole Sony forum was nuked, which was really, really unforgivable. It's not clear to me that any of Retaken Down was archived by the Wayback Machine.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Glad I'm not a Lions fan...what a way to get into the record books
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:56 pm Glad I'm not a Lions fan...what a way to get into the record books
Quite the kick to get a crossbar dink to go the right way. Lions fans are used to it going back to the Dempsey 63-yd one more than 50 years ago.

Everyone had the Chiefs all alone in last after 3 weeks, right?
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Volante wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:56 pm Glad I'm not a Lions fan...what a way to get into the record books
I'm not a loyal fan, I just cheer for whichever team I think is going to win. I can't remember ever rooting for the Lions.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Not to mention the blatant no-call on delay of game right before.