Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett »

My 2023 J! calendar was delivered today. I randomly flipped to a page and the hit in the archive was from 10/18/19. Shop early avoid the rush. :)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Any click bait writers want a head start on their work? Tomorrow's viral moment will be courtesy of:

Celebrity Family Feud in the Fast Money round:

Name a month of they year with five letters?

Wanya of Boyz II Men: July
Shawn Stockman: August

Their final score of 191 (9 short) cost their charity the full $25,000. :roll:

The second half "gimme" was name a day of the week that starts with "S".
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Name an animal with three letters in its name.

Frog
Alligator
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:10 am Name an animal with three letters in its name.

Frog
Alligator
Both correct.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/contesta ... 38-numbers

That link shows Amy Schneider had 57 buzz attempts in a single game. Interesting.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:14 pm https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/contesta ... 38-numbers

That link shows Amy Schneider had 57 buzz attempts in a single game. Interesting.
Mattea Roach not featured on that chart. Also interesting. Granted it's superlatives and not averages, but still.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:14 pm https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/contesta ... 38-numbers

Note that Amy played 30 games before buzz attempt data started to be published, so we do not at present know which game this (all-time?) record was set in.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Buzzer attempts could mean another contestant getting it wrong and getting another shot on the buzzer. That would make more than one buzzer attempt on the same question.
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Would love to know the three she clammed on.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:57 pm Buzzer attempts could mean another contestant getting it wrong and getting another shot on the buzzer. That would make more than one buzzer attempt on the same question.
If I had one question to pin down Michael Harris on, it would be to clarify this.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:57 pm Buzzer attempts could mean another contestant getting it wrong and getting another shot on the buzzer. That would make more than one buzzer attempt on the same question.
I think not, although here's a question: if two people try to buzz with the same incorrect response, and the loser of the buzzer race rightly clams after the other buzzes and negs, do they count the buzz attempt of the person who ultimately clammed?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I added total attempts as a column to the player stats script on the J! Archive.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:07 pm
I think not, although here's a question: if two people try to buzz with the same incorrect response, and the loser of the buzzer race rightly clams after the other buzzes and negs, do they count the buzz attempt of the person who ultimately clammed?
They still tried to buzz in so it should count. And clamming could mean they had another response but decided it was wrong.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:03 pm

Would love to know the three she clammed on.
If I had to guess, I'd say it was the three Daily Doubles.
LucarioSnooperVixey

If buzz attempts does mean that they buzzed in for 57 questions, which is all clues sans Daily Doubles, it would have to be one of these games.

#8515, aired 2021-11-19
#8542, aired 2021-12-28
#8549, aired 2022-01-06

These games had no complete stand and stare TS clues, meaning Amy could have attempted to ring in on all of them.
Douglas Squasoni
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Good sleuthing, Doug.

It looks like Amy doesn't know Biebs in the first clue of #8515, so that one's out.

It appears that Amy clams on Mae Jemison in J! 6 of #8542.

Watching through #8549 carefully, I don't notice any clue that Amy appears to obviously not ring in on, so of these three, that one's my pick for the 57-buzzer.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Looking at all of the games and contestants for the number of buzzer attempts. The average seems to be low 30's.

If only we could have ring in numbers from past seasons to compare J! contestants over the years.
Douglas Squasoni
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Big news in the Daytime TV World..... that may end up effecting Jeopardy if the slot goes to Syndication.

https://www.vulture.com/2022/08/nbc-day ... acock.html

EDIT: the slot is going to "a new one-hour news program, NBC News Daily, anchored by Kate Snow, Aaron Gilchrist, Vicky Nguyen, and Morgan Radford."
clprez

Post by clprez »

I don't know how long this has been a thing, but today I found out that they are now selling 1TB micro SD cards. You can buy one on Amazon for $125.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

clprez wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:35 pm I don't know how long this has been a thing, but today I found out that they are now selling 1TB micro SD cards. You can buy one on Amazon for $125.
They've been around a couple of years now (and had been announce a few years before that, but took forever to come to market). Theoretically, they can put 128TB on micro SD cards, but I don't think they've even released the 2TB ones yet.