Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Bamaman »

Wasn’t sure where to post this. Alex’s family has donated a bunch of money to help the homeless.

https://abc7.com/10448894/?fbclid=IwAR2 ... QHQe62yBks
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

If you click the link in that story, it seems like he and his wife made this gift before he died. (Lest anyone doubt that this was the wish of the man himself.)
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:02 pm I will double down and agree on this comment. Do you have to say the "Old Course" at St. Andrews? The "New Course" is 125 years old :lol:. (Happy to say I've played both - the New course allows buggies so my 79 year old father could join me).

Getting unhinged, and away from Jeopardy, I'd prefer it if the Master's was moved to a real public golf course that has always admitted blacks, women, and all the other excluded minorities. I believe in second chances and redemption, but Augusta National should be scorned for the multiple abuses and tone deafness over generation after generation.
I too have played both the Old and the New with my father as well as six other courses in Scotland. A trip that will never be forgotten, hopefully you both feel the same as well.

Augusta National has certainly been close minded over the years when it comes to gender and minorities. Sadly, their actions were similar to stances taken by the PGA Tour during many of those years. Clifford Roberts, co-founder of Augusta National was a notorious racist.

Thankfully, things have changed for the better and now ANGC is pushing forward with various initiatives to grow the game across the board. The Drive, Chip, and Putt for juniors where member Condoleezza Rice is always there congratulating the kids during the finals. The Latin America Amateur where the winner is invited to compete in the Masters. The Augusta National Women's Amateur held the weekend before The Masters. And their membership has multiple women and minorities. The past can't be changed but at least they are currently trying to change the future for the better.

And now, some are calling for the PGA Tour and it's players to pull out of The Masters because of the recent changes in Georgia's voting laws. That won't happen, but I do believe that MLB will pull the All-Star Game slated for Atlanta this summer.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Golf wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:48 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:02 pm I will double down and agree on this comment. Do you have to say the "Old Course" at St. Andrews? The "New Course" is 125 years old :lol:. (Happy to say I've played both - the New course allows buggies so my 79 year old father could join me).

Getting unhinged, and away from Jeopardy, I'd prefer it if the Master's was moved to a real public golf course that has always admitted blacks, women, and all the other excluded minorities. I believe in second chances and redemption, but Augusta National should be scorned for the multiple abuses and tone deafness over generation after generation.
I too have played both the Old and the New with my father as well as six other courses in Scotland. A trip that will never be forgotten, hopefully you both feel the same as well.

Augusta National has certainly been close minded over the years when it comes to gender and minorities. Sadly, their actions were similar to stances taken by the PGA Tour during many of those years. Clifford Roberts, co-founder of Augusta National was a notorious racist.

Thankfully, things have changed for the better and now ANGC is pushing forward with various initiatives to grow the game across the board. The Drive, Chip, and Putt for juniors where member Condoleezza Rice is always there congratulating the kids during the finals. The Latin America Amateur where the winner is invited to compete in the Masters. The Augusta National Women's Amateur held the weekend before The Masters. And their membership has multiple women and minorities. The past can't be changed but at least they are currently trying to change the future for the better.

And now, some are calling for the PGA Tour and it's players to pull out of The Masters because of the recent changes in Georgia's voting laws. That won't happen, but I do believe that MLB will pull the All-Star Game slated for Atlanta this summer.
Thanks for the very thoughtful counterpoint. I took the low road with talking points, and am aware of the token changes over the last decade, although not the baby steps you mention for structural improvement. The PGA has a lot to answer for as well, and if they really want to change their spots, they should pull the plug themselves (I know this might be a USGA thing, PGA thing, or none of the above, but the PGA has leverage and will not use it).

I repeat that I am all about second chances, and do not like to pull the hate and fear card. If ANGC had ever paid any price for their obstreperousness, then I could believe they are moving on. But they never sacrificed anything and continued to play the networks and the PGA like a fiddle. They can start with me by following the NFL and replacing their flagsticks with Black Lives Matter, etc.. flags. I assume they've banned the Confederate Battle Flag.

I believe we also played the Juno course at St. Andrews. We didn't have tee times so we stayed in town and put our names in for the lottery. My father could have walked the Old Course at 78 years old easily - but he got sick on the flight over with some awful viral cold/fever. The first time I played it was Scottish weather, 40 mph horizontal mist. The second time was a rare beautiful 70 degree day. I'm actually glad I got the authentic conditions the first time, but boy oh boy! Yes, nothing beats father and son/daughter/trans :) golf. I'm hoping to get my grandson going out soon.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I lived in Birmingham at the time of the Shoal Creek controversy. This was in 1990. The PGA championship was scheduled to be held at Shoal Creek Golf and County Club. It came to light the club had no black members and the SCLC threatened to protest. It didn’t help the club president made some tone deaf comments about the membership policy. After the PGA threatened to pull the tournament they agreed to admit a local black businessman as a member and the tournament went on. Since then, they have admitted other blacks, including Secretary Rice, a Birmingham native.

I believe the Masters was broadcast without commercials a few years ago in regards to their policy on female members before Rice and another woman were admitted.

I don’t see the PGA pulling the Masters out of Augusta because of the voting laws but I agree MLB will consider pulling the All Star Game due to the voting law controversy.

I was in Augusta for work a few years ago and decided to go see the place. I got the address in my GPS and was surprised to see it was in the middle of town. The property was surrounded by an ivy covered fence and there was no sign indicating this was the place. I saw a street named Eisenhower Drive and turned in and saw a guard shack about 100 feet away. An old man got out and started running towards me so I backed out and left.

I am not a golfer and don’t really follow the sport much. Glad to see Augusta National has gotten more progressive in their policies and attitudes.
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:54 am

I was in Augusta for work a few years ago and decided to go see the place. I got the address in my GPS and was surprised to see it was in the middle of town. The property was surrounded by an ivy covered fence and there was no sign indicating this was the place. I saw a street named Eisenhower Drive and turned in and saw a guard shack about 100 feet away. An old man got out and started running towards me so I backed out and left.
Running toward you? What was he going to do, throw himself in front of your car? (Maybe he was just going to say, Are you sure you're at the right Augusta? There's 2 of them, you know... Then he would laugh...) ;)
Golf

Post by Golf »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:44 am I believe we also played the Juno course at St. Andrews. We didn't have tee times so we stayed in town and put our names in for the lottery. My father could have walked the Old Course at 78 years old easily - but he got sick on the flight over with some awful viral cold/fever. The first time I played it was Scottish weather, 40 mph horizontal mist. The second time was a rare beautiful 70 degree day. I'm actually glad I got the authentic conditions the first time, but boy oh boy! Yes, nothing beats father and son/daughter/trans :) golf. I'm hoping to get my grandson going out soon.
I assume you mean the Jubilee Course, also known as "The Jube". Have not played it but have heard it's quite difficult.

The last day we were in St. Andrews we played the New in the morning then had lunch overlooking the Himalayas. It was a beautiful day, in the high 60's. We were staying just up the hill from the Old Course clubhouse and the walk back took us right past the starters hut. So I decided to put my name on the walk up list for the Old and got on maybe 90 minutes later thanks to an ignorant American who loudly canceled his tee time because he did not enjoy his experience the day prior.

Played the Old and the New in the same day! Playing the Old was much easier the 2nd time because I now knew where all the bunkers were. Dinner tasted good that night.

And the town of St. Andrews is amazing. The cathedral and castle ruins take your breath away. And we found decent food there, could not say the same for most of the rest of the country we saw.

We had great weather for 7 of the 8 rounds across the country. The one bad weather day was at Cruden Bay, just north of Aberdeen. My second favorite course of the trip. In August the temperature was 50 degrees and the rain was coming down sideways. I loved every minute of it. For the record, we played The Old and New at St. Andrews, Carnoustie, Cruden Bay, Nairn, Royal Troon, Troon Portland, and Prestwick. Stopped in at Royal Dornoch but were unable to get on the course.
Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:54 am I lived in Birmingham at the time of the Shoal Creek controversy. This was in 1990. The PGA championship was scheduled to be held at Shoal Creek Golf and County Club. It came to light the club had no black members and the SCLC threatened to protest. It didn’t help the club president made some tone deaf comments about the membership policy. After the PGA threatened to pull the tournament they agreed to admit a local black businessman as a member and the tournament went on. Since then, they have admitted other blacks, including Secretary Rice, a Birmingham native.

I believe the Masters was broadcast without commercials a few years ago in regards to their policy on female members before Rice and another woman were admitted.

I don’t see the PGA pulling the Masters out of Augusta because of the voting laws but I agree MLB will consider pulling the All Star Game due to the voting law controversy.

I am not a golfer and don’t really follow the sport much. Glad to see Augusta National has gotten more progressive in their policies and attitudes.
Shoal Creek was an embarrassment of epic proportions. They weren't the only club going through these pains, during that time Butler National hosted the Western Open, a longtime PGA Tour event in the Chicago area. They were and I believe still are a men's only club. The PGA Tour gave them an ultimatum, admit women or lose the tournament. The chose the latter and the event was moved to Cog Hill. I felt this change as well as the year prior we played a college event at Butler National. The next year it too was moved to Cog Hill.

I am not against private clubs making their own rules, but there may be ramifications if those rules are not inclusive. At St. Andrews, they have a Ladies Putting Club, no men allowed. The do not have a Men's Putting Club. Last I heard, there were 12 golf clubs in the US that do not allow women. I've played two, my dad has played another. There is one here in the DFW area that I've not played. One I played was in the KC area when I was 17. Women were allowed on the grounds to pick up their husbands but could not get out of the car. We were a bit shocked when we were told that.

Scotland has not been immune to this lately either, in 2016 Royal Troon and Muirfield, both course in the Open rota, did not have women members. Like Augusta, women could play Royal Troon, but could not be members. The Open was held at Troon in 2016 so the R&A decided something needed to be done. Royal Troon voted to allow women members. Muirfield however voted against admitting women and the R&A took them off the Open rota. The club shortly had a change of heart and in 2017 held another vote and women were allowed membership. The R&A put them back in the rota.

The Masters was broadcast sans commercials in both 2003 and 2004. They definitely do things their way and Martha Burk wasn't going to force their hand. They are truly the definition of Too Big to Fail.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Golf wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:23 am I believe we also played the Juno course at St. Andrews ... etc, etc.
So, what is your handicap?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Back when Watson first beat Ken and Brad on Jeopardy!, IBM had high hopes Watson would soon be an M.D., or at least assist M.D.s with their work in a ubiquitous (and profitable) way, but slow adoption has scuttled those plans.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ibm-explor ... 1613696770
https://www.wsj.com/articles/potential- ... 1614169807
International Business Machines Corp. is exploring a potential sale of its IBM Watson Health business, according to people familiar with the matter, as the technology giant’s new chief executive moves to streamline the company and become more competitive in cloud computing.

IBM is studying alternatives for the unit that could include a sale to a private-equity firm or industry player or a merger with a blank-check company, the people said. The unit, which employs artificial intelligence to help hospitals, insurers and drugmakers manage their data, has roughly $1 billion in annual revenue and isn’t currently profitable, the people said.

Its brands include Merge Healthcare, which analyzes mammograms and MRIs; Phytel, which assists with patient communications; and Truven Health Analytics, which analyzes complex healthcare data.

It isn’t clear how much the business might fetch in a sale, and there may not be one.
“I believe that we’re many years away from AI products that really positively impact clinical care for many patients,” said Bob Kocher, a partner at venture-capital firm Venrock who focuses on healthcare IT and services investments and who was a White House health adviser under President Barack Obama.
https://thehealthcaretechnologyreport.c ... ealthcare/

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/wh ... ealthcare/
Jeff Cribbs, a research vice president at Gartner, said that the rumors of IBM's decision to sell Watson Health is the familiar story of the hype cycle, with this version starring "the world's only genuine artificial intelligence celebrity (Watson) and an industry both very large and in particularly urgent need of transformation."

"There were genuine AI innovation triggers at Watson Health – in natural language processing and generation, knowledge extraction and management, and similarity analytics," he said. "The hype got ahead of the engineering, as the hype cycle says it almost always will, and some of those struggles became apparent."
https://www.zdnet.com/article/ibm-is-re ... -business/
IBM Watson was one of IBM's "strategic imperatives" under former CEO Ginni Rometty, despite its sluggish growth numbers and reports that the system was costly and hard for customers to implement.

When IBM launched its Watson Health unit the goal was to expand into personalized medicine via DNA translation and the input of electronic health records. But Watson stumbled in the healthcare sector, the Wall Street Journal writes, "in part because physicians were hesitant to adopt artificial intelligence". In 2018, IBM laid off a percentage of its Watson Health workforce.

In terms of the potential sale, the WSJ suggests that IBM is considering "a sale to a private-equity firm or industry player or a merger with a blank-check company".
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:23 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:23 am I believe we also played the Juno course at St. Andrews ... etc, etc.
So, what is your handicap?
(the quote was mine, the quotee was Golf)
Twelvefootboy is in high single digits mostly, but capable of putting up a 75 or 95 (well, not quite) on any given day. I don't play the ball down religiously, but find it doesn't affect my score when I'm playing well, and if I've already blown up a round, I don't hit out of tree roots unless I just feel like practicing that emergency shot. Today I hit 3 drivers off the deck because of getting into tree trouble.
If he chooses to out himself (he can't win money from us you know), I assume Golf is about a 2-4 based on his likely past as a positive handicap and discounting for the passage of time. (Hopefully no offense intended :)) This is a step change level from 0-2, which is a tough place to stay unless you're putting in the work continuously. Real life gets in the way of 90 minute putting practice sessions. He can elaborate on the accuracy of this supposition.

And yes, Jubilee was the name of the course. But I thought it was a par-3 type course but memory is foggy.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Golf

Post by Golf »

The Balgove is the 9 hole par 3 course at St. Andrews.

As far as my handicap, I could say dealing with some members of this board. Ha ha. But let's just say 12’s supposition was slightly off. No offense intended or perceived. I’m just hoping to play well enough this year so that you can see for yourself on TV. If that happens, I’ll post it in the 2021 STUDY GUIDE. :D
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My golf handicap has always been "Will whoever brought the clubs PLEASE remember that I am left handed"?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:11 am My golf handicap has always been "Will whoever brought the clubs PLEASE remember that I am left handed"?
Golfing (if you can call it that) is one of the very few things I do right-handed, and for exactly that reason -- when I learned, there were no left-handed clubs available.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Yeah, yeah, dumb April Fools post, but I'm impressed how deep into the well he went for this one.
https://twitter.com/TomBrady/status/1377621905813946369
Spoiler
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

Though this was announced for real this morning, so many people on social media believed this was just another April Fools joke. Loved watching him in his coaching role.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ms-retires
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeopardyfan87 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:39 pm Though this was announced for real this morning, so many people on social media believed this was just another April Fools joke. Loved watching him in his coaching role.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ms-retires
There's been a few of those which are real but everyone looks at it skeptically. Formula 1 announced that they'd reprofiling the track in Australia and changing a few turns, everyone thought it was a joke. F1 finally put up a video with the track all torn up and then either it was the most elaborate April Fool's joke ever or they were actually serious.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Any good stunts for April Fool's Day on other shows?

TPIR had live models and mannequins working today.
HQ had Dan pop in a couple of time and faked out Mina Kimes that perhaps Russell Wilson was going to be traded.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:59 pm
HQ ... faked out Mina Kimes that perhaps Russell Wilson was going to be traded.
That was brilliant.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

So much for the "Alex Trebek Loophole" of getting back on.

Jeopardy Eligibility.PNG
Jeopardy Eligibility.PNG (46.35 KiB) Viewed 4590 times
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:48 pm So much for the "Alex Trebek Loophole" of getting back on.

Jeopardy Eligibility.PNG
looking forward to 2022 then?
Total game show career losings = $171,522