Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by morbeedo »

Has anyone here ever seen their SPIN ID come up on Wheel of Fortune? The Secret Santa winners are getting a nice bonus this Christmas
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

A contestant on Wheel of Fortune tonight, Alexandra Minton, said that when she was her son's age, her father was a five-time champ on another game show. A few moments of research later, I found out she slightly inflated his achievements, as she is the daughter of 1986 4xer Gary Palmer.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:57 pm A contestant on Wheel of Fortune tonight, Alexandra Minton, said that when she was her son's age, her father was a five-time champ on another game show. A few moments of research later, I found out she slightly inflated his achievements, as she is the daughter of 1986 4xer Gary Palmer.
My TV was still on KGO after J! and I caught the snippet from the opening chat. I checked back at the end to see if there would be audience shot and they only showed the winner's guy. I went back to the beginning (nice DVR feature that records of buffer of the current channel) and did not spot any J! person within the crowd shown.

Minton was a last name I knew was no ToCer. Married name naturally. Alexandra named her husband, Adam. Using "alexandra married adam minton" turned up Alexandra Palmer. Aha! Has to be Gary Palmer. Right, he's a 4xer though did play in five including the famous fainting game.

Nice research work Sg: What was your path to turn up Gary Palmer?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It just hit me that the better shortcut that would have worked in this particular case was an Archive search of "palm springs" (the place Alexandra mentioned) as it's a short list of players. Scanning the names for a ToCer is something I can do in my sleep.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:09 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:57 pm A contestant on Wheel of Fortune tonight, Alexandra Minton, said that when she was her son's age, her father was a five-time champ on another game show. A few moments of research later, I found out she slightly inflated his achievements, as she is the daughter of 1986 4xer Gary Palmer.
My TV was still on KGO after J! and I caught the snippet from the opening chat. I checked back at the end to see if there would be audience shot and they only showed the winner's guy. I went back to the beginning (nice DVR feature that records of buffer of the current channel) and did not spot any J! person within the crowd shown.

Minton was a last name I knew was no ToCer. Married name naturally. Alexandra named her husband, Adam. Using "alexandra married adam minton" turned up Alexandra Palmer. Aha! Has to be Gary Palmer. Right, he's a 4xer though did play in five including the famous fainting game.

Nice research work Sg: What was your path to turn up Gary Palmer?
I Googled "Alexandra Minton" and had a false positive thoroughly in the way. Then I searched "Alexandra Minton" on Facebook (without quotation marks, not that it matters there, I don't think) and got the page for Alexandra Palmer Minton complete with WoF profile picture. I also found posts where she mentioned her father by name.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Alexandra was mentioned in this write-up in the Desert Sun newspaper from December 11, 1985, about Gary's then-upcoming Jeopardy! appearance (another one rife with spoilers! Image):
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

On ESPN I'm watching boxing and one of the fighters is Egidijus Kavaliauskas.

Hammer would love this: I saw the name and thought, "He must be from Lithuania."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Closing announcement at my hometown Kmart (Oscoda, Michigan):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybrS03UwkoE
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

A question from Wednesday's episode of Catch 21:

"What is the medical word for twins who are not identical?"

The answer was Fraternal twins. However, the medical name is actually Dizygotic twins. Sure, they would never use that word on a show like that, but I think it would have been better if they had asked "the technical term" for it.
Douglas Squasoni
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:09 pm

The archive doesn't have all his games, but it looks like he played in 5 regular games (winning 4), plus two TOC games. So, a 4-time regular champion plus a TOC player (which arguably could count as his fifth "champion" appearance).

Btw, just wanted to say hi to everyone. I don't get here as often as I did, but I am still around. :)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

An article about P_t S_j_k and WoF: https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/w ... ans-retire

“I’m not getting any younger,” he said when asked how long he'll remain the host. “A couple of years?”

He continued: “What I’m really sensitive about is... I’d rather leave a couple of years too early than a couple of years too late.”
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:58 pm ...

MB: ... I hope the Vikes upset the whiny Saints. Chiefs fans got a huge late Xmas gift from Miami and some Fitzmagic on Sunday :D .
You put me in a tough spot as I shouldn't really derail the Monday thread into sports and I can't quote Monday spoilers here. With this thread on page 2 I'll use my response to get it back on page one.

Yes, KC got a gift from the Fins to get a bye week. What good will it do the Chiefs? Baltimore gets worst of Texans, Bills or Titans. Mahomes & Coach Reid get Patriots most likely as the Bradys can't lose again at home. Even if KC were to beat the Bilicheats it still is probably a trip to Baltimore. I would expect the Ravens to win.

Let's give the Chiefs a better scenario of Titans upset NE to send TN to Maryland. The Chiefs get Texans or Buffalo and manage to actually win a home playoff game again. More dreamland is Jackson doesn't cut it in postseason and Titans hit the road to KC in the AFC Championship.

At that point I would still expect the Chiefs to gag since I was in first grade when they played in their most recent Super Bowl appearance. The Dolphins winning on Sunday is only delaying slightly your inevitable heartbreak.

In the NFC, it's not very realistic for me to hope the Vikings can go to the Dome in New Orleans and steal a game as Cousins can't hold Brees' anything. I would like my chances more in Santa Clara in the divisional round or against Green Bay in the NFC Championship.

I can't even root for madness of Seahawks and Vikings last two standing as a trip to Seattle is guaranteed bye bye.

The 49ers are in big trouble as Green Bay owes them for pasting them earlier this season, the Saints want their tails for the way they barely got out of NOLA with a win and Seattle would oh so love another game against them.

The Eagles may have one more win in them, but that's it. Like last season they were fortunate just to get invited to the dance.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:56 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:58 pm ...

MB: ... I hope the Vikes upset the whiny Saints. Chiefs fans got a huge late Xmas gift from Miami and some Fitzmagic on Sunday :D .
You put me in a tough spot as I shouldn't really derail the Monday thread into sports and I can't quote Monday spoilers here. With this thread on page 2 I'll use my response to get it back on page one.

Yes, KC got a gift from the Fins to get a bye week. What good will it do the Chiefs? Baltimore gets worst of Texans, Bills or Titans. Mahomes & Coach Reid get Patriots most likely as the Bradys can't lose again at home. Even if KC were to beat the Bilicheats it still is probably a trip to Baltimore. I would expect the Ravens to win.

Let's give the Chiefs a better scenario of Titans upset NE to send TN to Maryland. The Chiefs get Texans or Buffalo and manage to actually win a home playoff game again. More dreamland is Jackson doesn't cut it in postseason and Titans hit the road to KC in the AFC Championship.

At that point I would still expect the Chiefs to gag since I was in first grade when they played in their most recent Super Bowl appearance. The Dolphins winning on Sunday is only delaying slightly your inevitable heartbreak.

In the NFC, it's not very realistic for me to hope the Vikings can go to the Dome in New Orleans and steal a game as Cousins can't hold Brees' anything. I would like my chances more in Santa Clara in the divisional round or against Green Bay in the NFC Championship.

I can't even root for madness of Seahawks and Vikings last two standing as a trip to Seattle is guaranteed bye bye.

The 49ers are in big trouble as Green Bay owes them for pasting them earlier this season, the Saints want their tails for the way they barely got out of NOLA with a win and Seattle would oh so love another game against them.

The Eagles may have one more win in them, but that's it. Like last season they were fortunate just to get invited to the dance.
I think the Vikings are the AFC equivalent of the Cowboys or Rams. Some weeks they show up and blow you away. Then you wonder how they ever win a game. At least with the Chiefs you know if they get out of their own way they can beat anybody.

I don't feel good about this year's prospects at all, they seem to have to get rolled for 2 quarters before they react. How many 3rd and 7's before you stop handing off into the middle of the line? Patrick needs to go ahead and take cheap yards with his legs, just like Brady and Rodgers do. you don't have to imitate Lamar, just give your O-line some help with the bull rush. But, as you say, the Pats/Ravens are a tough daily double. Physical teams blew the Chiefs up (Colts, Texans), although they did beat the Ravens with nice neutralizing of Lamar in week 3 (I think).

Chiefs were an offensive machine last year and a defensive dumpster fire with Bob Sutton. I'm not getting complacent with the new DC Spagnulo just yet, but at least he isn't afraid to call a blitz. We still let too many teams dump screen passes for 13 yards on 3rd and 12 or let Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers have 8 seconds to survey the field.

My golfing buddy is a Minnesota native, and he certainly has battered fan syndrome. They are my favorite AFC north team, although I do wish Detroit could be successful somehow. They beat the Chiefs pillar to post in their game this year but somehow managed to lose a sure thing with a 100 yard uncontested no whistle return on a goal line reach to win the game.

Getting ready to watch Tuesday episode to see how the Karen Coryat goes.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Vikings and Lions in AFC North? How early did twelvefootboy pop the champagne? When fireworks went off over the Sydney Harbour Bridge? :)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:19 pm Vikings and Lions in AFC North? How early did twelvefootboy pop the champagne? When fireworks went off over the Sydney Harbour Bridge? :)
:oops: . well played. Just like the Vikes, SOMETIMES. Playoff football anything can happen as long as it's the top 2 seeds making the conference finals after beating up the wildcards/survivors. I do have a good vibe for the Vikes, at least against the spread.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

From the Current Events thread:
Volante wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:13 pm The Saga of Carlos Ghosn, former Nissan CEO and chairman:

This is just too nuts. J! likely won't ask for Ghosn, but it's very possible they'll spot him and ask for Nissan. (LL might ask for Ghosn)
Yada, yada, lying about financials, that's the boring part. The plot twist is, after being arrested in Japan for a second time, he was put on house arrest and then escaped to Beirut, Lebanon at the turn of the year. In, allegedly, an instrument case on a private jet.

https://jalopnik.com/interpol-wants-car ... 1840562039
That was a quick payoff. Thanks for some points here: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... l-pot.html
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:06 pm From the Current Events thread:
Volante wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:13 pm The Saga of Carlos Ghosn, former Nissan CEO and chairman:

This is just too nuts. J! likely won't ask for Ghosn, but it's very possible they'll spot him and ask for Nissan. (LL might ask for Ghosn)
Yada, yada, lying about financials, that's the boring part. The plot twist is, after being arrested in Japan for a second time, he was put on house arrest and then escaped to Beirut, Lebanon at the turn of the year. In, allegedly, an instrument case on a private jet.

https://jalopnik.com/interpol-wants-car ... 1840562039
That was a quick payoff. Thanks for some points here: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... l-pot.html
I got 'em all this week. Good for 538.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I don't know that I've ever went 12-for-12. Got 9 this week.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

More overtime playoff football. I approve.

Bet that pass to Thielen put a smile on Mark's face. Or a celebratory yell and fist pump. Whichever. On to SF.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:27 pm More overtime playoff football. I approve.

Bet that pass to Thielen put a smile on Mark's face. Or a celebratory yell and fist pump. Whichever. On to SF.
The game was a happy new year surprise. It was 3-3 when I left for church at the end of the 1st quarter and I did not bother recording it as I did not expect good things. Today's church service was broken into two parts sandwiching (pun intended) a potluck lunch and white elephant gift exchange. It was 1:30 when I got home and my DVR service keeps a live buffer of the channel currently tuned into for a one hour space. I muted my TV and rewound with it going back to 10:00 remaining in the 4th quarter.

Winning the toss and keeping Brees on the bench as the Thielen bomb got the Vikings in position was wonderful viewing. Yes, I may have yelled a bit in joy while also swearing goodbye to the city of New Orleans as a whole while also directing comments specifically to Brees and Coach Payton.

Saints fans can keep on living their high from their Super Bowl victory of the 2009 season that will be 10 years old next month. They don't need anything more until other teams get one. They just wanted one back then and felt they deserved it in living with memories from Katrina.