Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:02 am
floridagator wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:47 am Wordle is too easy because they are working from a dictionary of only 2000 and some words. The official Scrabble dictionary has 8996 five-letter words, according to one source.

I would be sunk if I had to include in my thought process all of those obscure words that are in Scrabble.
Since the latter cancels out the former, I think Wordle found the sweet spot, its 60'6" if you will.
As I understand it, it wasn't the creator's intention to make the 2000-word limit public, it was found by people looking into the game's coding. ('m not even sure it's a "limit"; rather it's the number of words - and days - already programmed in for the game to last.
https://theconversation.com/wordle-has- ... fun-175675
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:56 pm
Volante wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:02 am
floridagator wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:47 am Wordle is too easy because they are working from a dictionary of only 2000 and some words. The official Scrabble dictionary has 8996 five-letter words, according to one source.

I would be sunk if I had to include in my thought process all of those obscure words that are in Scrabble.
Since the latter cancels out the former, I think Wordle found the sweet spot, its 60'6" if you will.
As I understand it, it wasn't the creator's intention to make the 2000-word limit public, it was found by people looking into the game's coding. ('m not even sure it's a "limit"; rather it's the number of words - and days - already programmed in for the game to last.
https://theconversation.com/wordle-has- ... fun-175675
The specific word list was meant to be obscured, but he did explain this year how the current word list was created back in 2014

https://kotaku.com/wordle-development-p ... 1848704099
This led Wardle to realize the secret sauce was in letting the player make deductions based on their own familiarity with language. It is, he said, about “what you can tease out, based on what you know about language.”

To do this, incredibly, Wardle’s partner devoted her time to ranking all 13,000 five-letter words in the dictionary into one of three categories: “I kno”, “I dono” and “I mayb kno”. With this, the word list was refined, and ready to go!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

From the Full Credit Rolls thread:
carlosreactsYT wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:37 pm Unfortunately my channel (WheelNightLive) was terminated along with 5-6 other channels posting Jeopardy Content.
I saw in the J! contestants Facebook group today that a ToCer got his YouTube account terminated for his Jeopardy episodes (which were unlisted).
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:21 pm From the Full Credit Rolls thread:
carlosreactsYT wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:37 pm Unfortunately my channel (WheelNightLive) was terminated along with 5-6 other channels posting Jeopardy Content.
I saw in the J! contestants Facebook group today that a ToCer got his YouTube account terminated for his Jeopardy episodes (which were unlisted).
Sounds like there's a full on purge in progress, but so far they're only going after longer uploads. Not sure what the cutoff is, but my snippets are usually under 3 minutes, 4 at the outside, and they haven't been flagged. I did have a couple of full episodes still up from way back when. I'd forgotten about them until they earned me a copyright strike today.

Did this decision come down from Michael Davies or is the timing a coincidence?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Someone posts each day’s game every day. Big help when I’m working nights out of town.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:09 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:21 pm From the Full Credit Rolls thread:
Sounds like there's a full on purge in progress, but so far they're only going after longer uploads. Not sure what the cutoff is, but my snippets are usually under 3 minutes, 4 at the outside, and they haven't been flagged. I did have a couple of full episodes still up from way back when. I'd forgotten about them until they earned me a copyright strike today.

Did this decision come down from Michael Davies or is the timing a coincidence?
Why would he have anything to do with the decision, he doesn’t own the show, Sony does.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Any reason the whole upcoming week's worth of game discussion threads has been posted?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:04 pm Any reason the whole upcoming week's worth of game discussion threads has been posted?
Yeah, I'm not going to be around and won't have a machine that makes it easy to post them. I have faith all of you can deal with this minor breach in protocol.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:24 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:04 pm Any reason the whole upcoming week's worth of game discussion threads has been posted?
Yeah, I'm not going to be around and won't have a machine that makes it easy to post them. I have faith all of you can deal with this minor breach in protocol.
I'm reminded of this exchange:

Schwartz : I TRIPLE-dog-dare ya! Ralphie as an Adult : [narrating] Schwartz created a slight breach of etiquette by skipping the triple dare and going right for the throat!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:54 pm
alietr wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:24 pm
I'm reminded of this exchange:

Schwartz : I TRIPLE-dog-dare ya! Ralphie as an Adult : [narrating] Schwartz created a slight breach of etiquette by skipping the triple dare and going right for the throat!
So if we accept the challenge, we'll have all our comments for the week posted tonight before bed. I'm be fuming about that darn judge's ruling next Wednesday.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

AFRET CMS wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:14 am I'm be fuming about that darn judge's ruling next Wednesday.
That will be just the worst.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:07 am
AFRET CMS wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:14 am I'm be fuming about that darn judge's ruling next Wednesday.
That will be just the worst.
Considering the answer was sausage, wouldn’t that make it the wurst?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:09 am Considering the answer was will be sausage, wouldn’t that make it the wurst?
Check your verb tense
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

There used to be a guy on the old board that worked at a TV station that had access to the games a few days in advance. If he was still around he could just go ahead and do all his posts for the week right now.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Our dog has grown so accustomed to having his afternoon walk after we watch the WLS broadcast of Jeopardy! that he walks to the back door and starts barking as the closing credits roll. J! leads immediately into the local news, and if we try to catch the lead stories, he makes his displeasure known!
🦮
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

squarekara wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:43 am Our dog has grown so accustomed to having his afternoon walk after we watch the WLS broadcast of Jeopardy! that he walks to the back door and starts barking as the closing credits roll. J! leads immediately into the local news, and if we try to catch the lead stories, he makes his displeasure known!
🦮
Some Chicago call letters decoded:
WLS - world's largest store [Sears]
WGN - world's greatest newspaper [Tribune]
WMAQ - we'll make Anton [Cermak] quake (well, probably not)
WFLD - Field, as in Marshall Field, Field Enterprises (published World Book)
WIND, WNDY - windy city
And while we're at it WCCO Minneapolis stands for Washburn Crosby Company, the former name of General Mills
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

floridagator wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:55 pm WMAQ - we'll make Anton [Cermak] quake (well, probably not)
There was a period in the 1920s when radio station call letters were being assigned more or less consecutively, in a W_A_ pattern, although they'd sometimes wind up being "backronymed" -- supposedly, WMAQ would claim that the call letters stood for "We Must Answer Questions" (or "We Must Ask Questions"). Another example that you may be familiar with is WDAE in the Tampa Bay area, which just recently hit its 100th anniversary, and used to claim that their call letters stood for "Wonderful Days and Evenings."
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I mean, why can't they just make 30 or 40 ticky-tacky little awkward edits to every single episode? How hard could it be?

(Because this guy totally wouldn't just find some other way to passive-agressively complain about Mayim's hosting performance.)

ETA: LOL, I forgot the board software did that.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:20 pm I mean, why can't they just make 30 or 40 ticky-tacky little awkward edits to every single episode? How hard could it be?
Spoiler

(Because this guy totally wouldn't just find some other way to passive-agressively complain about Mayim's hosting performance.)

ETA: LOL, I forgot the board software did that.
Wouldn't be that hard. They already manage to make sure every clue is played in tournament quarterfinals. I've long advocated that they do this for every game.

I do think Mayim's pauses make for awkward TV. I find myself wondering what she's waiting for (even though I assume I know) several times per game. I'm surprised we haven't had contestants cracking under the pressure and changing their responses to something wrong.

That said, I lasted less than a week on the Jeopardy! subreddit. I had too many comments that just got downvoted without anyone trying to respond. I end up deciding, screw you guys, I'm going home. I suppose it's possible that an equal number of boardies here dislike my contributions and would downvote them if they could. If that's the case, I'm glad I don't know. I like to think of myself as mostly beloved and occasionally put up with.