Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Johnblue »

Those media fact check sites come with their own heavy biases. I read their review of NYT just for laughs & it’s quite funny.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Johnblue wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:11 pm Those media fact check sites come with their own heavy biases. I read their review of NYT just for laughs & it’s quite funny.
I found AFRET's citation (mediabiasfactcheck.com) very interesting and informative. No laughs here. I hadn't looked at a resource of this type, but I'm sure that there are plenty of agenda biased variants. I looked up several out of curiosity. I liked the way they parsed it between fact-check and presentation of same.

They had me at this (although "Questionable" seems a little soft):
Overall, we rate One America News Questionable based on far-right bias, lack of sourcing, promotion of conspiracy theories, and propaganda as well as numerous failed fact checks. OAN is not a credible news source.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Re: Friday, February 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:36 pm
floridagator wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:02 am (garbage that Trump put in his mouth)
Hehe. He got it from me.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:31 pm
Johnblue wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:11 pm Those media fact check sites come with their own heavy biases. I read their review of NYT just for laughs & it’s quite funny.
I found AFRET's citation (mediabiasfactcheck.com) very interesting and informative. No laughs here. I hadn't looked at a resource of this type, but I'm sure that there are plenty of agenda biased variants. I looked up several out of curiosity. I liked the way they parsed it between fact-check and presentation of same.

They had me at this (although "Questionable" seems a little soft):
Overall, we rate One America News Questionable based on far-right bias, lack of sourcing, promotion of conspiracy theories, and propaganda as well as numerous failed fact checks. OAN is not a credible news source.
They did say Fox News (actual news) was generally reliable but got a low rating overall due to their pundit based shows. CNN had pretty much the same rating.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

OK, that's enough now. I reserve the right to delete anything after this post on Rep. Omar and the general topic. Yes, this is the right correct thread for it, but let's keep this civil.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:23 pm FJ was pre-empted here for news of the strike in Syria. Really, they couldn't have waited 5 minutes to tell us about the 4,624,517,416th US airstrike in the Middle East?
"Joe Biden became President today"
-- Fareed Zakaria
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

File this under utterly random...
Watched Captain Fantastic (released 29 Jul, 2016) and S4E6 of NetFlix's Sabrina series (31 Dec, 2020) today.

Both had covers of Sweet Child O' Mine performed in universe.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

This looks familiar...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This was my introduction to trivia contests. I was a proud member of the Suicidal Zippers. (I don't know that 'hardest' is apt, but hey, it's journalism.)

The World's Hardest Trivia Contest
Volante

Post by Volante »

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

From a Washington Post column:

Cmon Man.PNG
Cmon Man.PNG (174.13 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Today I learned about "Bread and butter" when watching a Popeye cartoon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and ... %20averted.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:35 am Today I learned about "Bread and butter" when watching a Popeye cartoon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and ... %20averted.
The only time I ever hear this expression is in cartoons!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

squarekara wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:26 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:35 am Today I learned about "Bread and butter" when watching a Popeye cartoon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and ... %20averted.
Thanks for the examples. Here's the one I saw this morning:
Spoiler
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I remember it from Monk...a show which takes place in San Francisco :lol:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0650615/ch ... /nm0001724
Total game show career losings = $171,522
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

squarekara wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:26 am
This is the one I was thinking of. It was on a public-domain VHS collection of old cartoons I had as a kid.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

So, I was watching Bull last night and one of the characters mentioned that Drew Brees had just retired. So, either a) they were banking on that happening and it just worked out or b) that was some massively quick ADR work as he had just retired the day before (the speaker had a mask on, so it's pretty easy to cover whatever he would actually have said).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Not too long ago, I realized a contestant in a "new old" J! game from 1985 was the mother of a kid I took care of at summer day camp in 2001. Tonight on Wheel of Fortune, one contestant was the dad of camp kids I remember from 2008.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

In a nice bit of coincidence, yesterday (3/21) and baby was born up in Merritt Island at 3:21 PM. The area code there is, of course, 321.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

DBear wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:42 pm CHESS OPENINGS

1.e4 e5 2. Ke2 is known as this attack, from the idea that one would have to be high on marijuana to play it.
Spoiler
What is the Bongcloud Attack?
I decided to try this. I somehow managed to win against a higher rated opponent. He's really mad.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.