Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Carter406
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Carter406 »

clprez wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:17 pm Continuing on with the Lions losing with last minute field goals against them. There have been 3 times that the Lions have lost by a game ending field goal with the score of 19-17. Two of them were by record setting lengths.
Justin Tucker seems to love playing against the lions.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I don't like Mondays (if I'm a superchampion):

http://jeopardy.mattcarberry.com/j-weekday.html
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:28 am I don't like Mondays (if I'm a superchampion):

Well, since those Monday episodes are usually the first match of a taping day, that makes some sense (first game after a layoff). I wonder how many of the differences noted are statistically significant?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Woof wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:07 am Well, since those Monday episodes are usually the first match of a taping day, that makes some sense (first game after a layoff). I wonder how many of the differences noted are statistically significant?
Here are all the 8+ day champs plus a few more recent champs thrown in for good measure.
Ken Jennings (74) - Tuesday
Matt Amodio (38) - Monday
James Holzhauer (32) - Monday
Julia Collins (20) - Monday
David Madden (19) - Monday
Jason Zuffranieri (19) - Thursday
Matt Jackson (13) - Wednesday
Austin Rogers (12) - Thursday
Seth Wilson (12) - Wednesday
Arthur Chu (11) - Wednesday
Buzzy Cohen (9) - Friday
Jason Keller (9) - Thursday
Dan Pawson (9) - Wednesday
MacKenzie Jones (8) - Thursday
Jennifer Quail (8) - Tuesday
Karen Farrell (8) - Tuesday
Ben Ingram (8) - Thursday
Drew Horwood (8) - Friday
Tom Nissley (8) - Friday
Tom Kavanaugh (8) - Tuesday
Brian Chang (7) - Thursday
Zach Newkirk (6 nonconsecutive) - Monday
Brayden Smith (5) - Tuesday
Kevin Walsh (5) - Thursday
Paul Trifiletti (5) Wednesday

I'll also note, as I did on Twitter, that Matt Carberry's analysis doesn't take into account that a great many of the "Monday" games are not, in fact, the first games of the tape day, because of scheduling anomalies.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:26 am I'll also note, as I did on Twitter, that Matt Carberry's analysis doesn't take into account that a great many of the "Monday" games are not, in fact, the first games of the tape day, because of scheduling anomalies.
A great many? I don't think I've ever heard of a Monday game not being the first to tape. And what do they do, six that day?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

alietr wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:55 pm
Robert K S wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:26 am I'll also note, as I did on Twitter, that Matt Carberry's analysis doesn't take into account that a great many of the "Monday" games are not, in fact, the first games of the tape day, because of scheduling anomalies.
A great many? I don't think I've ever heard of a Monday game not being the first to tape. And what do they do, six that day?
As just one example, all or virtually all of Season 26 was off-kilter because of the Million Dollar Celebrity Invitational quarterfinals which were aired interspersed throughout the season. I was a victim of the "Monday" curse despite my losing show being the fourth to tape of the day (right after lunch). Various other scheduling issues over the years resulted in nonstandard tape dates that were not Monday-Friday. I don't know if they ever (or often) tape six shows a day, but especially during Alex's years-long illness, it was common for them to tape fewer than five.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I lost on a Monday Game. :?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

squarekara wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:25 pm
I lost on a Monday Game. :?
WARNING: NSFW language

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:26 am Brian Chang (6) - Thursday
Brian Chang won 7 games.
Douglas Squasoni
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

alietr wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:28 am I don't like Mondays (if I'm a superchampion):

OT, but this reminds me of a gripe I have about the Prince-written Bangles hit "Manic Monday": it employs the wrong adverb. "Just" another implies that the problem is boredom but the song's actual complaint is that Mondays are hectic and too abrupt a change from the relaxing weekend. So take out "just" and substitute "yet".
I'm smart and I want respect.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Lefty wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:31 pm

OT, but this reminds me of a gripe I have about the Prince-written Bangles hit "Manic Monday": it employs the wrong adverb. "Just" another implies that the problem is boredom but the song's actual complaint is that Mondays are hectic and too abrupt a change from the relaxing weekend. So take out "just" and substitute "yet".
Dang you’re right. You’ve ruined that song for me.

Friday’s discussion topic: Mondays.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:35 pm
Robert K S wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:26 am Brian Chang (6) - Thursday
Brian Chang won 7 games.
Thanks
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Watching the end of the baseball game tonight and the end of the football game tonight I can't decide which winner is the luckiest, most unconscious, most fortunate, have a game handed to you team of the day. :roll:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

The Internet has disappointed me.

During the WS game Friday, top of the third, Maldonado checks a foul off the end of his bat, it ricochets off something loudly and d'Arnaud is able to -catch- the comebacking ricochet without moving from behind the plate.

It's an amazing couple seconds and I can't find that anyone has captured it... and I am distinctly not in the mood to install any new software to try capping it myself...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:20 pm The Internet has disappointed me.

During the WS game Friday, top of the third, Maldonado checks a foul off the end of his bat, it ricochets off something loudly and d'Arnaud is able to -catch- the comebacking ricochet without moving from behind the plate.

It's an amazing couple seconds and I can't find that anyone has captured it... and I am distinctly not in the mood to install any new software to try capping it myself...
Good enough?

https://archive.org/details/maldonado_202110

On YT I did a search for World Series game 3 and specified this week. From there I used my recording/editing software and uploaded to IA.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:45 pm
Volante wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:20 pm The Internet has disappointed me.

Good enough?

On YT I did a search for World Series game 3 and specified this week. From there I used my recording/editing software and uploaded to IA.
Ooh, I hadn't thought of YT...been trying to figure how to cap it off MLB.tv but anything really takes more software.
But yes, that's brilliant!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The "announcers" (or clowns) were distracted by the dugout chat and were not able to add any oomph to the moment. That occurred in the real game. Kruk and/or Kuip would have done a better job with the fun moment.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:53 pm The "announcers" (or clowns) were distracted by the dugout chat and were not able to add any oomph to the moment. That occurred in the real game. Kruk and/or Kuip would have done a better job with the fun moment.
That's former Jeopardy! Guest Host announcer clown to you! :D

But I'm not really surprised -they- didn't catch on, but that I can't find anyone else who highlighted it either?...I almost started thinking it didn't happen this morning when I didn't see it
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Volante wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:20 pm I am distinctly not in the mood to install any new software to try capping it myself...
Windows 10 has a built in screen recorder. Windows Key + G to bring it up. Which probably doesn't help you. But maybe it does, or maybe it helps somebody else.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:38 pm
Volante wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:20 pm I am distinctly not in the mood to install any new software to try capping it myself...
Windows 10 has a built in screen recorder. Windows Key + G to bring it up. Which probably doesn't help you. But maybe it does, or maybe it helps somebody else.
Huh. This would've been useful to know months ago, too...gonna have to play around with it at work assuming I can find the time :D