Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett »

By now I should know to change the channel after J! though tonight I made the mistake of catching part of WoF.

[EVENT]

W I N N I N G / A

_ _ E _ _ I N G / _ E E

The vowels were gone so Andrea had to solve or spin. She spun. T! :evil: That show can boil the blood quicker than TPiR.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Woof wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:58 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:08 pm
3) My favorite - MEANS TEST for Social Security. It was never insurance, it was never an investment, it has always been a tax on wage earners. Politicians and fearmongers have made it impossible to identify it as the tax on poor people that it has been. My lifetime of contributions paid for my elders and if I don't need the fun money then no younger person should pay for it.
Sorry, but that's just plain wrong (even though it's been promulgated as truth). Social Security has never been a pyramid scheme such as you describe and in fact remains solvent. What's happened is that Congress has dipped into the SSA fund repeatedly to pay for initiatives without raising taxes. It is true that there is a projection of insolvency in the future, but the current model has worked OK for 85 years. It is true that payroll tax is regressive but Social Security was designed as a government-run insurance program for wage earners.
I'm not sure which part is wrong, but I suspect we agree on the issue. It also was never meant to replace pension planning. I don't know if the founders baked in the prospect of negative population growth and they sure didn't bake in 75-80 year life expectancies. We boomers have done the heavy lifting at 12+% tax rates (counting both employer/employee sides) and it is time to admit it is a welfare program disproportionately funded by low wage earners. It walks like a duck, it talks like a duck, it quacks like a duck...

I think the SS safety net is reasonably proportionate, and that it should be paid for by everyone in a fair tax system, and it should not be distributed to the rich and comfortable. The red herring is that the FICA taxes on low wage earners is more than the "real" 1040 tax for something like 75% of workers. So blowhards like Limbaugh and Hannity can bray that the top 10% pay 50% (or whatever) of Income taxes and the undeserving lowlifes don't pay any.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Volante wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:31 pm Meh. Chase Field's introduced a clear bag policy. I need to go shopping...
Need to figure out a way to work "security theater" and "sign stealing using electronic means" into the same op-ed piece about baseball.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

On Dec. 30 I wrote:

Let's give the Chiefs a better scenario of Titans upset NE to send TN to Maryland. The Chiefs get Texans or Buffalo and manage to actually win a home playoff game again. More dreamland is Jackson doesn't cut it in postseason and Titans hit the road to KC in the AFC Championship.

At that point I would still expect the Chiefs to gag since I was in first grade when they played in their most recent Super Bowl appearance. The Dolphins winning on Sunday is only delaying slightly your inevitable heartbreak.

twelvefootboy: Congrats on your team getting it done. At 10-0 Tennessee I was thinking, "Oh, no" in recalling my post.

NFL still has a chance at a Super Bowl I rematch for celebrating the 100th season.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

NYT crossword for tomorrow, Monday 1/20

51A: Result no longer allowed on Jeopardy! (3)

Evan Kalish is the constructor although I was expecting to see Erik Agard again.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:13 pm On Dec. 30 I wrote:

Let's give the Chiefs a better scenario of Titans upset NE to send TN to Maryland. The Chiefs get Texans or Buffalo and manage to actually win a home playoff game again. More dreamland is Jackson doesn't cut it in postseason and Titans hit the road to KC in the AFC Championship.

At that point I would still expect the Chiefs to gag since I was in first grade when they played in their most recent Super Bowl appearance. The Dolphins winning on Sunday is only delaying slightly your inevitable heartbreak.

twelvefootboy: Congrats on your team getting it done. At 10-0 Tennessee I was thinking, "Oh, no" in recalling my post.

NFL still has a chance at a Super Bowl I rematch for celebrating the 100th season.
Thank you MB - I'm just back online from staying off the grid until we saw the end of the fiasco NFC game (I think it ended in the first quarter).
At 0-24 down against Houston last week, I thought a beatdown was better than losing by a coinflip. Today at 0-10 and Titans moving at will with clock eating drives, it looked pretty grim.

I struggle to explain to twelvefootgirl just how well the chips fell for the Chiefs, according to your pre-call best case scenario. Dolphins win over Patsies = bye week. Houston over Bills - I'll gladly play Houston. Lamar Jackson bulldozed, wow, home games (of dubious value to Chiefs historically).

IMO, the key was not Mahomes, but getting Chris Jones back. And Sammy Watkins did his job, finally. The only team to really own the Chiefs this season was Indy, and their O line is reminiscent of the 49'ers, so I hope we can stuff the run and still dial up some pressure on Jimmy. It should be a good game, I hope it isn't decided by a mistake, bad call, or coin flip.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Terry Jones has died (see 2020 current events thread). He's the second member of Monty Python to die, after Graham Chapman in 1989. Can anyone think of a group whose first two deaths occurred further apart? I have one in mind, but I'm curious what boardies come up with before I post it.

A few that didn't make the three-decade mark:
The Beatles (John Lennon 1980, George Harrison 2001)
The Who (Keith Moon 1978, John Entwistle 2002)
The Mamas and the Papas (Cass Elliot 1974, John Phillips 2001)

Honorable mentions: the other three Led Zeppelin members will have survived John Bonham by 40 years this September, and Richard Carpenter will have survived Karen by 37 next month (although duos somehow feel against the spirit of this question).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If you expand the definition of a group to include TV show casts, Ted Knight died 30.5 years prior to Mary Tyler Moore, the next cast member of that show to die.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:51 pm If you expand the definition of a group to include TV show casts, Ted Knight died 30.5 years prior to Mary Tyler Moore, the next cast member of that show to die.
I don't mind it; I went straight from Monty Python to bands without batting an eye. And it was only my misgivings about including pairs that kept me from citing Orville Wright surviving Wilbur by 35 years, and Ira Gershwin surviving George by 46.
xabe
Valued Contributor

Post by xabe »

I confess that I had to look it up, but it looks like the next Cricket to die after Buddy Holly was Niki Sullivan in 2004 (45 years).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The group I was thinking of was the Dave Brubeck Quartet: Paul Desmond died in 1977, and Joe Morello died in 2011.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:52 am Terry Jones has died (see 2020 current events thread). He's the second member of Monty Python to die, after Graham Chapman in 1989. Can anyone think of a group whose first two deaths occurred further apart? I have one in mind, but I'm curious what boardies come up with before I post it.

Honorable mentions: the other three Led Zeppelin members will have survived John Bonham by 40 years this September, and Richard Carpenter will have survived Karen by 37 next month (although duos somehow feel against the spirit of this question).

Does Robert Wagner and Natalie Wood count?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:11 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:52 am Terry Jones has died (see 2020 current events thread). He's the second member of Monty Python to die, after Graham Chapman in 1989. Can anyone think of a group whose first two deaths occurred further apart? I have one in mind, but I'm curious what boardies come up with before I post it.

Does Robert Wagner and Natalie Wood count?
I'm inclined to say not, because there isn't a "group name" for them, if that makes any sense.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

When a TV thing occurs to me I check.

1982 & 2010 for the Cleaver parent actors.

1964 & 1996 for Burns & Allen
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Not counting Betty McGlown (who left the group while they were still The Primettes and before they were signed), nine different women performed as part of The Supremes; all are living except for Florence Ballard, who died in 1976.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:52 am
The rest of the Rolling Stones (except non-official member Ian Stewart) have outlived founder Brian Jones by over 50 years.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Through correction suggestions I ran into an interesting case from QF3 of the 1988 ToC. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=164

In the J! round Michael said "The Wild Ones" instead of The Wild One and had his score reduced after the judges heard the error during the break.

In the DJ! round Steven had the Disney movie (and book) as "The Lady and the Tramp" and he had his score reduced after the break for a case of tough judging (that some still advocate for) in the early days with that extra "The" at the start making his response incorrect.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:00 pm In the DJ! round Steven had the Disney movie (and book) as "The Lady and the Tramp" and he had his score reduced after the break for a case of tough judging (that some still advocate for) in the early days with that extra "The" at the start making his response incorrect.
Was this the case where Alex's explanation was that in saying "The Lady", he was implying that the story was about an actual human lady instead of a dog called "Lady"? I feel like I have a memory of that from the very early days.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:19 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:00 pm In the DJ! round Steven had the Disney movie (and book) as "The Lady and the Tramp" and he had his score reduced after the break for a case of tough judging (that some still advocate for) in the early days with that extra "The" at the start making his response incorrect.
Was this the case where Alex's explanation was that in saying "The Lady", he was implying that the story was about an actual human lady instead of a dog called "Lady"? I feel like I have a memory of that from the very early days.
Alex's remarks were more along the lines of the same attention to detail that cost Michael earlier...

Alex did not go into nuances of Steven's incorrect response as he only stressed the incorrect response and the correct title.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Well...I don't regret that experiment, but I do rue and lament it. Bacon does not a good gin martini garnish make.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)