Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:36 pm 1983 movies (using Google & IMDb for reminders)
Spoiler
My Tutor
You were a dirty dirty boy! And then she went on to portray Jason Bateman’s Mom in a wholesome TV show. :shock:
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:00 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:36 pm 1983 movies (using Google & IMDb for reminders)
Spoiler
My Tutor
You were a dirty dirty boy! And then she went on to portray Jason Bateman’s Mom in a wholesome TV show. :shock:
At least you did not give me a gif of Hannah Waddingham. 1983 is only one year and I would have to plead guilty to plenty of other teen comedies I saw that decade.

It's Your Move was a fun sitcom and it's too bad only 18 episodes were made. 35 years later I have still the trivia nugget "The Dregs of Humanity" at the ready if ever needed.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Former J! contestant Chris Lastrapes was a WOF contestant tonight. He didn't win, but he took home $5,550.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:32 pm Former J! contestant Chris Lastrapes was a WOF contestant tonight. He didn't win, but he took home $5,550.
I gave him a line, thanks.

The parts I caught had the lady in red try to buy an i and not be able to see that an o was the better option. Then on the last puzzle lady in red solved a hair late to set up the eventual winner who was ahead by a mile.

The winner had that express thing going and said she would solve early but Pat woke her up to keep going to make more money.

I stuck around to see the bonus round with the $1M in play. No Mercedes.

I was then ready to watch The Conners (live tonight) and then ABC had to do an election update making the sitcom start a bit late which of course bled into the next show. I've now added three minutes to the end of Black-ish and whatever remains will be as much as I will see of For Life as that is a pass.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:43 pm
Wow! I really hope they're not just yanking my chain again. Some company maybe 8 years ago was advertising a DVD release and then... nothing. But, maybe for real this time? The search box at the web site for Kino Lorber Studio Classics doesn't turn up anything, which is troubling. Googling "Kino Lorber" and "Grey Fox" takes me to a page on Kino Lorber's site where I can request a booking for the movie. Interesting. I'll keep checking and pre-order if and when that option becomes available. Thanks for the heads up.
If you still have a VCR ...

https://www.amazon.com/Grey-Fox-VHS-Ric ... 485&sr=8-4
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

The universe is trolling me...

So I decided to figure out how much liquid my flask holds because I'm getting tired of pouring, blowing to check volume, rinse, repeat, until it's full.

Empty flask, fill with water, pour a few glugs out, pour rest into measuring glass. 150mL.
Empty measuring glass, fill with 150mL gin, pour into flask. Overflow, goes every-the-eff-where, and not by like a 'rounding error' amount.

Cleanup.

Decide to tackle another way. Know that my flask can top up my martini glass and then some.
Fill martini glass to appropriate level with water (bout 1/4" from lip). Pour into measuring glass.

150mL.

So I'm doing something wrong somewhere, but with the flask topped up with gin for tomorrow, cannot resume experiment further.

(The flask itself was from a holiday gift box of Cutty Sark (golf ball pattern) and not for retail, so exact measurements not available, or, at least, my Google-fu turned up bupkis.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:16 pm The universe is trolling me...

So I decided to figure out how much liquid my flask holds because I'm getting tired of pouring, blowing to check volume, rinse, repeat, until it's full.

Empty flask, fill with water, pour a few glugs out, pour rest into measuring glass. 150mL.
Empty measuring glass, fill with 150mL gin, pour into flask. Overflow, goes every-the-eff-where, and not by like a 'rounding error' amount.

Cleanup.

Decide to tackle another way. Know that my flask can top up my martini glass and then some.
Fill martini glass to appropriate level with water (bout 1/4" from lip). Pour into measuring glass.

150mL.

So I'm doing something wrong somewhere, but with the flask topped up with gin for tomorrow, cannot resume experiment further.

(The flask itself was from a holiday gift box of Cutty Sark (golf ball pattern) and not for retail, so exact measurements not available, or, at least, my Google-fu turned up bupkis.)
This is some funny shit :lol:. Did this thread time warp to the 1800's? Who has a flask? I assume there is a monocle, cape, and pocket watch involved in this story :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:45 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:16 pm The universe is trolling me...

Cleanup.

150mL.

This is some funny shit :lol:. Did this thread time warp to the 1800's? Who has a flask? I assume there is a monocle, cape, and pocket watch involved in this story :).
All willed to him by Mr. Peanut (RIP)
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Volante

Post by Volante »

Volante wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:16 pm
(collapsing thread)

Cleanup.

150mL.

There isn't room to put the whole bottle in the fridge plus I use the flask as a single serving limiter.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:02 pm
(collapsing thread)

Cleanup.

150mL.

There isn't room to put the whole bottle in the fridge plus I use the flask as a single serving limiter.
Just trolling you with the rest of the universe ;). I just hadn't heard the term "flask" in many a fortnight. I drink my diet root beer all evening long out of my "baba", which is a double wall plastic glass with lid and captive straw (basically a sippy cup for grownups) :). Cheers!

BTW, if you can repeat your disappearing volume experiment, I'm sure it can be monetized as a new technology for miniaturization and re-animation. Looking forward to the paper in Phys. Review B. :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:14 am
Volante wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:02 pm
(collapsing thread)

Cleanup.

150mL.

Just trolling you with the rest of the universe ;). I just hadn't heard the term "flask" in many a fortnight. I drink my diet root beer all evening long out of my "baba", which is a double wall plastic glass with lid and captive straw (basically a sippy cup for grownups) :). Cheers!

BTW, if you can repeat your disappearing volume experiment, I'm sure it can be monetized as a new technology for miniaturization and re-animation. Looking forward to the paper in Phys. Review B. :lol:
After further testing, I think 150mL is exactly how much the flask can hold. It also turned out that some shaking was necessary to -fully- empty said flask, not to mention leftover water in the various portions, and possible misreading due to meniscus...

And I have no real idea wtf was going on. I'm just going to aim for 125mL and be done with it.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:45 pm This is some funny shit :lol:. Did this thread time warp to the 1800's? Who has a flask? I assume there is a monocle, cape, and pocket watch involved in this story :).
Huh. I have several flasks in several different sizes from 100ml up to 375ml. I would have thought that pretty much anyone who takes their alcohol even somewhat seriously would have a few!
--
Drowning in the pool
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:26 pm This makes me curious if there's ever been a film for which that distinction made a difference. It's possible to dream up scenarios of course. A rap-related movie premieres on New Year's Eve in Compton. Beverly Hills Cop [X] does the same in its eponymous city. The movie reuniting the cast of The Big Bang Theory gets a gala rollout in Pasadena. That kind of thing. But somehow I bet there aren't any real-world examples. If Hollywood were a separate city, there might be.
It's not the premiere location that counts, it's the one-week qualifying run. This very day, February 14, the movie "Shaun the Sheep: Farmageddon" started a one-week run at the Laemmle Glendale (in addition to being available on Netflix), which is going to make it eligible for Best Animated Feature.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

trainman wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:45 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:26 pm This makes me curious if there's ever been a film for which that distinction made a difference. It's possible to dream up scenarios of course. A rap-related movie premieres on New Year's Eve in Compton. Beverly Hills Cop [X] does the same in its eponymous city. The movie reuniting the cast of The Big Bang Theory gets a gala rollout in Pasadena. That kind of thing. But somehow I bet there aren't any real-world examples. If Hollywood were a separate city, there might be.
It's not the premiere location that counts, it's the one-week qualifying run. This very day, February 14, the movie "Shaun the Sheep: Farmageddon" started a one-week run at the Laemmle Glendale (in addition to being available on Netflix), which is going to make it eligible for Best Animated Feature.
Gotcha. But does the film have to COMPLETE a one-week run by Dec 31, or just start it by then?
Volante

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:16 am
Gotcha. But does the film have to COMPLETE a one-week run by Dec 31, or just start it by then?
*cough* https://www.oscars.org/sites/oscars/fil ... _rules.pdf
RULE THREE
THE AWARDS YEAR AND DEADLINES
1.The required Los Angeles County qualifying run (described in Rule Two Paragraph 2) must begin between January 1, 2019,and midnight of December 31, 2019.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:55 am
Spoiler
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:16 am
*cough* https://www.oscars.org/sites/oscars/fil ... _rules.pdf
RULE THREE
THE AWARDS YEAR AND DEADLINES
1.The required Los Angeles County qualifying run (described in Rule Two Paragraph 2) must begin between January 1, 2019,and midnight of December 31, 2019.
Yeah, but when I tried looking it up, I found that you hadn't quoted that part.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:20 am (No, I haven't seen Fanny and Alexander. I doubt it would make me change my mind. In any event, Martin Guerre should at least have been nominated.)
You should see Fanny and Alexander; it is extraordinarily good, and should have been nominated and victorious in the Best Picture category. One of my all-time favorites.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

cthulhu wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:14 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:20 am (No, I haven't seen Fanny and Alexander. I doubt it would make me change my mind. In any event, Martin Guerre should at least have been nominated.)
You should see Fanny and Alexander; it is extraordinarily good, and should have been nominated and victorious in the Best Picture category. One of my all-time favorites.
Have you seen The Return of Martin Guerre? Or are we both speaking from half ignorance?
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:10 am
cthulhu wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:14 pm
Have you seen The Return of Martin Guerre? Or are we both speaking from half ignorance?
Touché! I’ll put it on my list... 8-)
Volante

Post by Volante »

BBC article headline...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51540981
Coronavirus: Largest study suggests elderly and sick are most at risk
:|