Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Golf »

Girlfriend and I watching Olympic biathlon, she pronounces it with the extra syllable. I choose life and do not refer to the Jeopardy mistake and therefore her pronunciation error.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Volante wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:09 pm Spoiler for Sunday's NYTimes Crossword... "The better of two sci-fi franchises.”

https://kotaku.com/new-york-times-cross ... 1848495939
Great puzzle construction. There's actually a term for it mentioned in a Wikipedia article at NYT puzzles regarding the Nov 5, 1996 puzzle, the day before the '96 presidential election.
The two leading candidates that year were Bill Clinton and Bob Dole; in Farrell's puzzle one of the long clue/answer combinations read "Title for 39-Across next year" = MISTER PRESIDENT. The remarkable feature of the puzzle is that 39-Across could be answered either CLINTON or BOB DOLE, and all the Down clues and answers that crossed it would work either way (e.g., "Black Halloween animal" could be either BAT or CAT depending on which answer you filled in at 39-Across; similarly "French 101 word" could equal LUI or OUI, etc.). Constructors have dubbed this type of puzzle a Schrödinger or quantum puzzle after the famous paradox of Schrödinger's cat, which was both alive and dead at the same time. Since Farrell's invention of it, nine other constructors—Patrick Merrell, Ethan Friedman, David J. Kahn, Damon J. Gulczynski, Dan Schoenholz, Andrew Reynolds, Kacey Walker and David Quarfoot (in collaboration), and Ben Tausig have made use of a similar trick.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Y ... ord_puzzle

I'm sure some Wiki editor will soon add McCarthy's puzzle to the list.

At https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/clinto ... sword-gif/, there's an animated .GIF near the bottom of the page that shows the presidential puzzle and relevant clues, with the answers alternating in the animation.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:26 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:09 pm Spoiler for Sunday's NYTimes Crossword... "The better of two sci-fi franchises.”

https://kotaku.com/new-york-times-cross ... 1848495939
Great puzzle construction. There's actually a term for it mentioned in a Wikipedia article at NYT puzzles regarding the Nov 5, 1996 puzzle, the day before the '96 presidential election.
The two leading candidates that year were Bill Clinton and Bob Dole; in Farrell's puzzle one of the long clue/answer combinations read "Title for 39-Across next year" = MISTER PRESIDENT. The remarkable feature of the puzzle is that 39-Across could be answered either CLINTON or BOB DOLE, and all the Down clues and answers that crossed it would work either way (e.g., "Black Halloween animal" could be either BAT or CAT depending on which answer you filled in at 39-Across; similarly "French 101 word" could equal LUI or OUI, etc.). Constructors have dubbed this type of puzzle a Schrödinger or quantum puzzle after the famous paradox of Schrödinger's cat, which was both alive and dead at the same time. Since Farrell's invention of it, nine other constructors—Patrick Merrell, Ethan Friedman, David J. Kahn, Damon J. Gulczynski, Dan Schoenholz, Andrew Reynolds, Kacey Walker and David Quarfoot (in collaboration), and Ben Tausig have made use of a similar trick.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Y ... ord_puzzle

I'm sure some Wiki editor will soon add McCarthy's puzzle to the list.

At https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/clinto ... sword-gif/, there's an animated .GIF near the bottom of the page that shows the presidential puzzle and relevant clues, with the answers alternating in the animation.
I'm not generally into crossword puzzles, but this is genius level stuff here. Really impressive.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:26 pm I'm sure some Wiki editor will soon add McCarthy's puzzle to the list.
I hope they also fix the hanging em dash.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Any DC area folks looking for another job?

https://www.wusa9.com/article/sports/ba ... 06ViQrMP-0
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 2/14 Google Doodle is at age 5 or 6 skill level? Check it out and it may be fun to see how short or long it takes someone else to do it.

https://g.co/doodle/j92m7jc
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Does anyone else watch Celebrity Big Brother? I have never seen a Shakespeare play or movie, but after tonight's episode I feel like I must have watched something Shakespearean. I just don't know which work although I can understand some thinking it's a tragedy and others a comedy.

What happened:
Spoiler
7 people left and Carson is HoH. He nominated Miesha & Todd.

Carson is aligned with Cynthia.
Miesha is aligned with Todrick.
Lamar is along for the ride with Todd and mostly aligned with Miesha & Todrick.
Shanna is on the side of Carson & Cynthia though was aligned a bit with Miesha and Todrick earlier in the game.

Todrick convinces Cynthia and then Carson that Shanna is shady for playing both sides of the house and turns them against her.

Carson gets a promise from Miesha not to put him or Cynthia on the block if she wins the next HoH.

By random draw only Shanna is not picked to compete in the Power of Veto.

Todrick wins the Veto and removes Todd from the eviction block.

Shanna is evicted 4-0 and on the way out does not hug everyone. Her parting words were a promise to convince the jury not to vote for Todrick.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Oh boy. I am filled with foreboding.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I made a brief clip of last night's show in 'reverse' order:

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I've had issues logging in to my university's web site from my phone lately. (I graduated in 2005, but I've continued participating in the choruses through their extension program, so my account continues to work.) Tech support recommended I clear my browsing data, and I resisted (because logging in doesn't work when the browser is in private mode either), but eventually I relented. It still didn't work, and I realized hours later that I'd wiped out my Wordle stats. I started on #199 on January 4 and hadn't missed one (in either the omission sense or the X/6 sense) in those 46 days.

I have kept my own record and have the wherewithal on my computer to reconstruct my stats, but as far as my phone is concerned my streak begins anew now.

edit: Never mind! I found a Reddit post where someone shared some trickery to rewrite your data directly through the URL, and I've fixed it.
Spoiler

Code: Select all

https://www.nytimes.com/games/wordle/index.html?data={"time":#,"statistics":{"currentStreak":#,"maxStreak":#,"guesses":{"1":#,"2":#,"3":#,"4":#,"5":#,"6":#,"fail":#},"winPercentage":#,"gamesPlayed":#,"gamesWon":#,"averageGuesses":#},"darkTheme":@,"colorBlindTheme":@,"force":true}
Every # should be replaced with a number. In order: time is Unix time in thousandths of seconds, so Google "Unix time," find a site that tells you what time it is, and put three zeroes on the end. For example: 1645266671000 was moments ago. currentStreak and maxStreak are self-explanatory. After guesses, each number is how many times you've gotten the word in each number of guesses. The next four #s are self-explanatory as well. The @s need to be replaced with null or true. I think force needs to be true for this to work.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

My wordle streak was at 23, then stayed at 23 instead of 24, then 23 instead of 25, then 23 instead of 26. And now it’s at 22.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:14 pm My wordle streak was at 23, then stayed at 23 instead of 24, then 23 instead of 25, then 23 instead of 26. And now it’s at 22.
Just in time for tomorrow!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I decided to join the Wordle craze. I have played three days so far. I missed the first one, partly because I didn’t fully understand how the game worked. But I have gotten the last two.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Lots of mentions today about it being 2/22/22

Check out this crossword puzzle by J! champ Erik Agard: https://puzzles.usatoday.com/

As far as I can tell non-subscribers can access it for free without having to sign in or up for anything. You may have to sit through one ad though.

It's a dream for those who like 3-letter words and a nightmare for those that do not. It's well constructed to have it fair through crosses even if something is unfamiliar.
ACW

Post by ACW »

I HATE, HATE, HATE that tiebreakers are a thing. At the very least, the runner-up should get more than the $2,000 they would otherwise.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

ACW wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:29 pm I HATE, HATE, HATE that tiebreakers are a thing. At the very least, the runner-up should get more than the $2,000 they would otherwise.
In most situations, at least one of the people involved in a tiebreaker already gets one more chance to win than they should.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Netflix is launching an interactive daily quiz show.

The design and game goals look kid-oriented but the trivia content is obviously for adults, which might confuse viewers (players?). It won't be renewed, is my prediction.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:33 pm Netflix is launching an interactive daily quiz show.

The design and game goals look kid-oriented but the trivia content is obviously for adults, which might confuse viewers (players?). It won't be renewed, is my prediction.
This looks like utter dog water...

But I'll check it out