Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:48 pm So much for the "Alex Trebek Loophole" of getting back on.

Jeopardy Eligibility.PNG
Let's try to get Burns Cameron on!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:48 pm The "Heart Of Glass" clue reminded that Miley Cyrus did a cover version. It's worth a listen for those who are able to stomach a remaking of a classic. Some cannot under any circumstances.
Speaking of Blondie songs and covers, some of you may not know that "The Tide Is High" is a remake. The original was by the Jamaican group The Paragons. Great tune.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:52 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:48 pm The "Heart Of Glass" clue reminded that Miley Cyrus did a cover version. It's worth a listen for those who are able to stomach a remaking of a classic. Some cannot under any circumstances.
Speaking of Blondie songs and covers, some of you may not know that "The Tide Is High" is a remake. The original was by the Jamaican group The Paragons. Great tune.
Very nice!

This jogged a memory from shortly after I moved to California.... several, um.... decades ago. I recall going to the Wherehouse (remember those stores?) in Studio City and buying the vinyl albums (remember those?) Blondie's Autoamerican, which includes "The Tide is High" and Pat Benatar's Crimes of Passion. And then not long afterwards, deciding that I liked Autoamerican that I picked up the earlier Parallel Lines, which includes "Heart of Glass". I still have the albums.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My wife and I went to see Blondie play live (remember that?) just a couple years ago. :lol:
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

RandyG wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:16 pm...vinyl albums (remember those?)...
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

trainman wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:16 pm
RandyG wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:16 pm...vinyl albums (remember those?)...
Impressive!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Related to the prior golf (and Golf) discussion the PGA has decided not to move the Tour Championship from Atlanta.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/31 ... ampionship
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

RandyG wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:35 pm Impressive!
I mean, still nothing like selling half a billion records a year, as it was during vinyl's heyday. Also nothing like overall physical-copy music sales in the late '90s, which was peak era for the music business.

I get the attraction to vinyl for a certain set, but that set disincludes audiophiles who know anything about audio engineering and anyone with young kids, so I am right out on both counts and won't be rebuilding the vinyl collection I had when I was four.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:57 pm
RandyG wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:35 pm Impressive!
I mean, still nothing like selling half a billion records a year, as it was during vinyl's heyday. Also nothing like overall physical-copy music sales in the late '90s, which was peak era for the music business.

I get the attraction to vinyl for a certain set, but that set disincludes audiophiles who know anything about audio engineering and anyone with young kids, so I am right out on both counts and won't be rebuilding the vinyl collection I had when I was four.
Yep. It's been amazing to me to watch the trajectory of people wanting better and better sound which they achieved by expensive stereo systems and speakers all the way up to the apotheosis of good sound in the CD era. And then, suddenly around the turn of the milennium, people started accepting junky mp3s with half the sound taken out so as not to take up too much memory. And then people started listening to music primarily on portable devices with traffic and crowd noise in the background so the audio engineers started making the loud parts softer and the soft parts louder until they met somewhere in the middle and almost no one even noticed or cared that all recorded music sounded TERRIBLE. By comparison, I suppose, an LP sounds pretty darn decent.

But for all you LP-philes out there who tout that "warm" sound compared to CD quality audio. That's the background hum of an inferior playback system during the silent bits where the CD is producing pure silence. Ya posers.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Yet more tragic J! news: 2017 TT semifinalist Sara Holub has died at 40.

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/st ... 028057002/
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Quoting it here because it's a better thread for it than the "J! in the media" thread:
floridagator wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:38 pm I don't know where this belongs but it seems close enough to report on a wheel of fortune rule controversy here.
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/w ... oving-show
As far as WoF goes, the crossword rounds are fairly new so the comparison isn't exactly apt, but this periodic furor when a person fails to solve the puzzle because they add "and" to the list is like if there were outrage over people on J! getting ruled wrong when they don't respond in the form of a question. You can't add a word when solving any other puzzles; the crossword round shouldn't be any different. Pat even habitually warns "don't add anything"!
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Shaquebanisa wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:38 pm Yet more tragic J! news: 2017 TT semifinalist Sara Holub has died at 40.

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/st ... 028057002/
She was president of the Wisconsin Firearms Owners Association
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Someone mentioned the Sporcle world capitals quiz in a game thread and it reminded me of something a little afield from the topic so I'll post it here. Lately and on many occasions at this point, I've been doing the Jetpunk countries of the world quiz, which has a map that changes color for each country you get, as well as a list underneath where the countries are separated into continents and alphabetized. (This arrangement makes a lot more sense than Sporcle's "name all the countries" quiz, which, last I saw it, had a map where a label appeared on each guessed country, cluttering the map and making it hard to see which ones hadn't been guessed yet.) So I've been getting better at naming the countries, and I mostly do it without consulting the list, so my geography's getting better and I'm getting J! clues and trivia points elsewhere that I couldn't always get.

That being said, a couple weeks ago was the eleventh anniversary of my ToC tapings, and I revisited my games (for which I had my world capitals memorized, but lacked my current Jetpunk geographical acuity). When I saw the first FJ clue of the finals this time, I groaned.

AFRICAN CAPITALS: This West Central African capital grew out of a settlement that France established for freed slaves in 1849
clue and gameplay discussion, includes correct response
At the time I played it, I saw it as a history clue. All I had to work from was "African capital" and "freed slaves," and I named the only freed slave African capital I could: Monrovia, Liberia.

Then when I realized what the correct response was (Libreville, Gabon), I saw it as a "place name origins" clue: if you know your capitals and pick up on what the clue writers are doing, you can take "France" and "freed" (not to be confused with Fran Fried, a challenger from Manny Abell's $1 game) and make Libreville happen.

But what made me groan was that for the first time, eleven years later, I noticed the words "West Central African" in the clue. Those three words narrow it down to a fairly small stretch of African coastline (arguably; there are probably a couple of non-coastal nations that can be called West Central African too), and I just didn't have the wherewithal then to do anything with it, or even notice and remember the words.

I think all three of us regret that FJ—I do, since it was gettable even with my inability to take advantage of "West Central African," and would have likely secured me the ToC victory; Jason is in the unfortunate position where either a get or a different wager makes the difference; and Vijay cited his miss (Freetown! Just one "France" away from solving it!) in a BotD interview.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Sporcle probably has 100 different world capitals quizzes with different formats and layouts. You might be able to find one better suited for what you’re trying to do. I usually use Google to search for Sporcle quizzes and not their website if I’m trying to find something specific.

I switched from Sporcle to Jetpunk at one point because Jetpunk runs cleaner and doesn’t have annoying ads or loading issues. I switched back to Sporcle because they seem to have a lot more content and they’re regularly adding more stuff and promoting a variety of different new quizzes.

The ads can be annoying and I’ve considered paying for the premium version which should solve that problem, as they’ve told me thousands of times.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:14 pm Sporcle probably has 100 different world capitals quizzes with different formats and layouts. You might be able to find one better suited for what you’re trying to do. I usually use Google to search for Sporcle quizzes and not their website if I’m trying to find something specific.

I switched from Sporcle to Jetpunk at one point because Jetpunk runs cleaner and doesn’t have annoying ads or loading issues. I switched back to Sporcle because they seem to have a lot more content and they’re regularly adding more stuff and promoting a variety of different new quizzes.

The ads can be annoying and I’ve considered paying for the premium version which should solve that problem, as they’ve told me thousands of times.
I use uBlock Origin to block the ads. In the past I've used Adblock Plus which also works. It's been a while since I've seen Sporcle with ads. If they hadn't been so out of control, I'd have considered it my patriotic duty to let them show up. But when video ads expand to cover part of the quiz you're playing, that just seems a bridge too far. I don't know if that happens any more.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Played JetPunk for a bit back in like Summer of 2018. It is very boring. The questions are way too easy and the levels and stuff to explore are limited.
Douglas Squasoni
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I’ve returned to Sporcle after a year or so away and the ads are insane. I mostly play on my phone so I’ve been thinking of getting the app which might reduce or eliminate the ads.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:17 pm Played JetPunk for a bit back in like Summer of 2018. It is very boring. The questions are way too easy and the levels and stuff to explore are limited.
Yes the person who gets 58-60 right on Jeopardy literally every night is going to find a lot of trivia games boring or too easy.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Now that QuizUp is gone, I have given up on trivia apps in general and nowadays just watching my shows, University Challenge, Only Connect, and Mastermind and going on the Quizizz learning platform and uploading many high-tech questions, as well as AlpacaFarm. For the most part, I just do word games and animal games nowadays. Also joined Brain Buzz a few days ago. It is pretty fun, highly recommend it.
Douglas Squasoni