Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:15 am Today's crossword in the USA Today had a clue:

Crucial (7)

I filled in DOORDIE and was certain all of my crosses were correct. My reaction was, "What the @#$& is "doordie" and I was on my way from my chair to my computer to look up the definition. Before I could could cross the room it hit me that it was a 3-word answer. :oops:
Duh.

Doordie.jpg
Doordie.jpg (85.79 KiB) Viewed 2557 times
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:15 am Today's crossword in the USA Today had a clue:

Crucial (7)

I filled in DOORDIE and was certain all of my crosses were correct. My reaction was, "What the @#$& is "doordie" and I was on my way from my chair to my computer to look up the definition. Before I could could cross the room it hit me that it was a 3-word answer. :oops:
Spellchecking used to be terrible about separating combinedwords. I think the older algorithms didn't even account for that as a possibility. They've gotten better. I now rightclick on the doublewords in this post and get the correct twoword suggestion at the top of the list. But three or more words is abridgetoofar. (Spelling suggestion: abridgement). The best my spell checker can offer for doordie is "door die" (illustration provided in immediately previous post). Needssomeimprovement. (No Spelling Suggestion.)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Watching AGT tonight had me imagining what the J! players might look like under social distancing:
Spoiler
Mounted microphones or Mitch still has work to do? I made his job easy with a suit jacket and inside pocket.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:01 am Watching AGT tonight had me imagining what the J! players might look like under social distancing:
Spoiler
Mounted microphones or Mitch still has work to do? I made his job easy with a suit jacket and inside pocket.
Couldn't the wireless be sanitized just as easily?

ETA: While they need to wipe things down after each show, which I would think they've always done to a certain extent for the cameras, the wireless and other things they might need to clean can go in a UV box.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:43 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:01 am Watching AGT tonight had me imagining what the J! players might look like under social distancing:
Spoiler

ETA: While they need to wipe things down after each show, which I would think they've always done to a certain extent for the cameras, the wireless and other things they might need to clean can go in a UV box.
In aught five the tech guy attached the battery pack or placed it in a pocket followed by moving the wire and clipping on the mic. It was fairly close contact. During rehearsal it was a constant switching out with all of that day's pool of players sharing the equipment. If the show goes back to mounted mics that would be cheaper than 13 individual mic packs.

More likely the switcheroo process remains, though with the J! staffer wearing a mask. I don't know if all of the players will still huddle at the same time around the contestant spots while stage instructions are given.

Photos and contestant stories will come to light for S37 to clear thing up.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:22 pm
triviawayne wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:43 am
Spoiler

In aught five the tech guy attached the battery pack or placed it in a pocket followed by moving the wire and clipping on the mic. It was fairly close contact. During rehearsal it was a constant switching out with all of that day's pool of players sharing the equipment. If the show goes back to mounted mics that would be cheaper than 13 individual mic packs.

More likely the switcheroo process remains, though with the J! staffer wearing a mask. I don't know if all of the players will still huddle at the same time around the contestant spots while stage instructions are given.

Photos and contestant stories will come to light for S37 to clear thing up.
Mic units are still the same.

1. staffer takes sanitized unit out of UV box while wearing gloves/mask

2. staffer & contestant wear masks while micing up

3. reverse the process

I think those units are in the $300-$500 range, and depending on how long they need to spend in a UV box, only two sets and a few backups are needed.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This nearly 2 1/2 hour video on Kimba the White Lion has become one of my favorite videos of late. I've seen discussion of this ever since I was a kid, but this is the first time I've seen someone actually dig this deep. I learned a whole lot not only about Kimba the White Lion, but also about The Lion King (yes, I'm a furry, shut up), and even about my own view on the creative process.

(CW: language, crude humor)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5B1mIfQuo4
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I make an appearance in today's Washington Post (with a borrowed pelican):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/qu ... story.html
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:55 am I make an appearance in today's Washington Post (with a borrowed pelican):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/qu ... story.html
Borrowed, eh? At this point I'm pretty sure they're not coming back for it. Does the pelican have a name? Has it been introduced to your life-sized plush version of me?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

David Madden's newest gig looks intriguing -- mixing sex and politics! No, wait, that's not it; quizzing and politics! Yeah, that's the ticket. Feel free to check it out:

https://demoquiz.org/
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:43 pm
Wow! I really hope they're not just yanking my chain again. Some company maybe 8 years ago was advertising a DVD release and then... nothing. But, maybe for real this time? The search box at the web site for Kino Lorber Studio Classics doesn't turn up anything, which is troubling. Googling "Kino Lorber" and "Grey Fox" takes me to a page on Kino Lorber's site where I can request a booking for the movie. Interesting. I'll keep checking and pre-order if and when that option becomes available. Thanks for the heads up.
Follow-up to this and thanks, Volante. The Blu-ray of The Grey Fox arrived yesterday and it is gorgeous! It took a while for me to figure out how to play it in my Blu-ray drive since apparently just owning the drive with the technology to play the disc doesn't give me the right to do so. But that's a whole 'nother infuriating story and I'm not sure if I should be furious with Pioneer, who made the drive, or with Blu-ray and/or the film industry. My next step is to figure how to rip a lossless quality copy of the disc so that I retain the ability to watch the content I purchased if and when someone decides I no longer have the right to view it on the medium I purchased it on. :evil:

Those frustrations aside, as I say, they've made a gorgeous transfer. I hope some day they'll make it available via a streaming service for those who don't want to drop ~25 bucks but would like to see the movie.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:25 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:43 pm
Wow! I really hope they're not just yanking my chain again. Some company maybe 8 years ago was advertising a DVD release and then... nothing. But, maybe for real this time? The search box at the web site for Kino Lorber Studio Classics doesn't turn up anything, which is troubling. Googling "Kino Lorber" and "Grey Fox" takes me to a page on Kino Lorber's site where I can request a booking for the movie. Interesting. I'll keep checking and pre-order if and when that option becomes available. Thanks for the heads up.
Follow-up to this and thanks, Volante. The Blu-ray of The Grey Fox arrived yesterday and it is gorgeous! It took a while for me to figure out how to play it in my Blu-ray drive since apparently just owning the drive with the technology to play the disc doesn't give me the right to do so. But that's a whole 'nother infuriating story and I'm not sure if I should be furious with Pioneer, who made the drive, or with Blu-ray and/or the film industry. My next step is to figure how to rip a lossless quality copy of the disc so that I retain the ability to watch the content I purchased if and when someone decides I no longer have the right to view it on the medium I purchased it on. :evil:

Those frustrations aside, as I say, they've made a gorgeous transfer. I hope some day they'll make it available via a streaming service for those who don't want to drop ~25 bucks but would like to see the movie.
Yeah...playing Blu-Rays on a computer -sucks- Also, no, you don't actually have the tech to play the disc with just the drive. You have the tech to -read- the disc. Like having a book but not knowing the language its written in. (To answer your question, "All of the above." The Blu-Ray consortium, specifically, but that includes Pioneer, Sony and other film and electronics companies)

I wish Arcsoft kept up with TotalMedia Theater. That was a kickass software player...I haven't looked at recent solutions. I have a standalone player with a wifi extender to go to a TV above my desktop monitor.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:34 pm Yeah...playing Blu-Rays on a computer -sucks- Also, no, you don't actually have the tech to play the disc with just the drive. You have the tech to -read- the disc. Like having a book but not knowing the language its written in. (To answer your question, "All of the above." The Blu-Ray consortium, specifically, but that includes Pioneer, Sony and other film and electronics companies)
Yeah, I should have said I have the hardware to play the disc and I have the disc itself which supposedly gives me full rights to view it. Now they want me to pay upwards of $50 to decode my purchased disc for playing on my purchased hardware. It's a scam and should, in my opinion, be illegal. It's at least unethical for Pioneer to sell me a Blu-ray drive without making it clear that I will not be able to play commercially released Blu-ray discs on it without paying more money to someone else (or finding a workaround that may stop working one day without notice).

Meanwhile, I notice that the movie is now available to stream in HD on Amazon Prime for $3.99 or to "purchase" in HD for $11.99. I hate going the "purchase" route because I never really own the content and I could one day find it anywhere from difficult to impossible to view the thing I supposedly bought. But it looks like owning the physical medium doesn't really improve the situation. So now I'm grumpy and wondering if I should've saved myself $14.

Hey, you're in the L.A. area, aren't you? Would you mind going and taking a whiz on Jack Valenti's grave for me?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:15 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:34 pm Yeah...playing Blu-Rays on a computer -sucks- Also, no, you don't actually have the tech to play the disc with just the drive. You have the tech to -read- the disc. Like having a book but not knowing the language its written in. (To answer your question, "All of the above." The Blu-Ray consortium, specifically, but that includes Pioneer, Sony and other film and electronics companies)
Yeah, I should have said I have the hardware to play the disc and I have the disc itself which supposedly gives me full rights to view it. Now they want me to pay upwards of $50 to decode my purchased disc for playing on my purchased hardware. It's a scam and should, in my opinion, be illegal. It's at least unethical for Pioneer to sell me a Blu-ray drive without making it clear that I will not be able to play commercially released Blu-ray discs on it without paying more money to someone else (or finding a workaround that may stop working one day without notice).

Meanwhile, I notice that the movie is now available to stream in HD on Amazon Prime for $3.99 or to "purchase" in HD for $11.99. I hate going the "purchase" route because I never really own the content and I could one day find it anywhere from difficult to impossible to view the thing I supposedly bought. But it looks like owning the physical medium doesn't really improve the situation. So now I'm grumpy and wondering if I should've saved myself $14.

Hey, you're in the L.A. area, aren't you? Would you mind going and taking a whiz on Jack Valenti's grave for me?
It would be easy to copy, with full quality...but I don’t want to risk being accused of piracy again
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:39 pm It would be easy to copy, with full quality...but I don’t want to risk being accused of piracy again
No worries. I was able to get it done without crossing any ethical lines.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here's one for y'all from the correction suggestion box. The archive has a comment that includes "brand new car" while someone wants it changed to "brand-new car". Yea or nay?

Yeah, yeah, I know, stop goofing around and get to work on inputting the old game.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:25 am Here's one for y'all from the correction suggestion box. The archive has a comment that includes "brand new car" while someone wants it changed to "brand-new car". Yea or nay?
Nay. There's absolutely no chance of confusion, so it isn't necessary.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:45 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:25 am Here's one for y'all from the correction suggestion box. The archive has a comment that includes "brand new car" while someone wants it changed to "brand-new car". Yea or nay?
Nay. There's absolutely no chance of confusion, so it isn't necessary.
Until New Motors of Elbonia begins production on their vehicles
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Roadgeek Adam wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:54 am
davopardy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:54 pm
triviawayne wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:04 am
Bamaman wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:56 am Ken is 46. Alex was 44 when he hosted his first episode.

I agree about having someone commit long term. I thought TPIR bringing Drew Carey on was an odd choice, but he has been there 13 years now.
I think they need a 5-season host for a transition; then a potential 30-year host. Drew has been there 13 years, and there's still plenty of screaming he's no Bob Barker. It would also help the show ease into any other changes they might be thinking of making.
Here's my thing regarding TPIR, what those same people that are complaining about Carey not being like Barker don't understand is that as legendary as Bob Barker his shoes for someone to fill in when Bob retired was humongous. I think Carey has done a great job at hosting the show and even Barker himself said in an interview before he retired when he was asked about what advice he would give to the new host he simply said something to the effect of, "Just be yourself. Don't try to copy off of my style." He's right.

And this very same principle should be applied to Jeopardy! as well for Ken Jennings (if he is confirmed to be Alex's replacement) Alex's shoes is going to be big to fill and I think Ken Jennings should just be exactly who Ken Jennings is. Don't copy off of Alex's style and everything else. Just be yourself.

Unfortunately, whoever ultimately replaces Alex are going to be seeing complaints about not being like Trebek in his/her own presentation style just like the complaints Carey has gotten for 13 years over not being like Barker granted we are talking about two very different shows here, my point is still valid.
Speaking as someone who is the recapper for a certain fansite of The Price is Right that was well known for that attitude at one time, the attitude has shifted towards Drew's favour in the last few years. I think people are starting to be able to accept Drew on a more regular basis than they once were. Yes, there's still the stubborn people who have their biases. I personally enjoy Drew more than Bob. Drew has always come off as someone who is genuine and cares about everything and everyone. Bob Barker was well, Bob Barker.
Probably better that I continue extra TPIR chatter here. For Bob vs. Drew I look at Ten Chances. I always enjoyed seeing Bob get frustrated that contestants did not know the ends in zero "rule" while Drew takes it all in a more good-natured fashion. Any time now that game comes up I always think of Bob whose blood pressure must have gone up each time that game was played as I fondly remember how mad the host would get. Watching at home, it's open season on players taking guesses ending with odd numbers.

Drew has proven to be a good choice as replacement host. One lack of skill for Drew that drives me crazy is Punch A Bunch as Drew consistently fails to be able to recall a sequence of three holes. If the contestant gets four punches, then forget it about it, as Drew 100% of the time needs off camera assistance to remember the order.