Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:22 pm Just great. Exactly what I didn't need. The Lions mad going into next week. Thanks zebras. :evil:
I am in a league where you pick one team to win every week and you can only pick a team once. My team this week was the Packers. So I liked the game.

I almost took the Redskins over the Dolphins but I couldn’t quite pull the trigger. Now I wish I had since I may want the Packers again but it is unlikely the Redskins will be a desirable pick.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:10 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:22 pm Just great. Exactly what I didn't need. The Lions mad going into next week. Thanks zebras. :evil:
I am in a league where you pick one team to win every week and you can only pick a team once. My team this week was the Packers. So I liked the game.

I almost took the Redskins over the Dolphins but I couldn’t quite pull the trigger. Now I wish I had since I may want the Packers again but it is unlikely the Redskins will be a desirable pick.
survivor? i got tossed in week 4 because of the overrated rams...didn't trust san diego going west to east even against the crappy dolphins, so took the rams...ugggggggggh
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:10 pm

survivor? i got tossed in week 4 because of the overrated rams...didn't trust san diego going west to east even against the crappy dolphins, so took the rams...ugggggggggh
I took the Chargers that week. :lol:

My league gives you three strikes but so far I am undefeated. Probably going to ride the Dolphins as long as I can.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:00 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:10 pm

I took the Chargers that week. :lol:

My league gives you three strikes but so far I am undefeated. Probably going to ride the Dolphins as long as I can.
3 strikes? wow...just go against the dolphins every week but 3 (the 2nd of the match ups of the afc east teams), will the dolphins really win more than 2 games?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:01 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:14 am As long as we're talkin' baseball ... Nats, Nats, Nats, WOOOOOO!!!!
After Game 2, I mentally wrote off the NLCS, which made last night's game easier to handle. The Cardinals' offense has been feast-or-famine for much of the season and NLDS. If you're wondering what on earth they're doing in the NLCS, join the club. On a Cardinals message board I read, in reply to a post of the 25-man roster for the NLCS, one of the verbatim comments is, "I've gotta be honest. I have no clue how this team is in the NLCS."
Sorry if it's tacky to reply to myself. Congrats to the Nats, who will make a fine representative of the NL in the World Series.

My previous comment wasn't intended to take anything away from their dominant performance; I'm just a bit embarrassed by the Cardinals' "showing". (Mercifully, I was out while Dakota Hudson was pitching.)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:22 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:14 am As long as we're talkin' baseball ... Nats, Nats, Nats, WOOOOOO!!!!
After Game 2, I mentally wrote off the NLCS, which made last night's game easier to handle. The Cardinals' offense has been feast-or-famine for much of the season and NLDS. If you're wondering what on earth they're doing in the NLCS, join the club. On a Cardinals message board I read, in reply to a post of the 25-man roster for the NLCS, one of the verbatim comments is, "I've gotta be honest. I have no clue how this team is in the NLCS."
Sorry if it's tacky to reply to myself. Congrats to the Nats, who will make a fine representative of the NL in the World Series.

My previous comment wasn't intended to take anything away from their dominant performance; I'm just a bit embarrassed by the Cardinals' "showing". (Mercifully, I was out while Dakota Hudson was pitching.)
i would be happy for the nationals as one of my only friends (i am not a big fan of people) is a big nationals fan, but i absolutely despise fp santangelo...dude is beyond annoying as an announcer
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:22 pm

I just followed the Cardinals in the standings since the All Star break. I don't mind the results at all - Let's see other teams besides the the Cardinals and the Dodgers, and hopefully the Yankees suffer an excruciating defeat. Maybe a blown call and a bonehead play, just to make it sting more :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It never hurts to mention the Slate News Quiz every so often since it can be a useful exercise to those that do not know about it. It appears each Friday. Scroll down a bit to find it.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... syria.html

Today's score display had me smile as 9/12 was nothing special though my trigger finger got me just enough points (46 average) to top the other two positions of comparison.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

462 for me this time. I usually do better, though.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Johnblue wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:25 pm USA Today will stop publishing its paper, switching to online only. Coincidentally there was a clue on tonight’s show about their first issue in 1982.
Source? And what year will the print edition stop? With my home delivery subscription paid through March 31, 2020 this piece of news from the Current Event thread hits home. I get that publishing is moving to the digital age, while I'm a guy that still likes print editions of newspapers and magazines.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:01 am
Johnblue wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:25 pm USA Today will stop publishing its paper, switching to online only. Coincidentally there was a clue on tonight’s show about their first issue in 1982.
Source? And what year will the print edition stop? With my home delivery subscription paid through March 31, 2020 this piece of news from the Current Event thread hits home. I get that publishing is moving to the digital age, while I'm a guy that still likes print editions of newspapers and magazines.
This is why I like including links when I add to that thread... I found this from a couple days ago;
https://www.poynter.org/business-work/2 ... nt-to-yes/
...Winding print down could take several years.

But two knowledgeable sources, talking on background, said a move away from USA Today in print is part of the calculations for the new enterprise. It makes a lot of sense, given the print edition’s deteriorating paid circulation and minimal advertising.
So it seems it might be more a "Current Events 2022" rather than a 2019 post...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Volante wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:20 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:01 am
This is why I like including links when I add to that thread... I found this from a couple days ago;
https://www.poynter.org/business-work/2 ... nt-to-yes/
...Winding print down could take several years.

But two knowledgeable sources, talking on background, said a move away from USA Today in print is part of the calculations for the new enterprise. It makes a lot of sense, given the print edition’s deteriorating paid circulation and minimal advertising.
So it seems it might be more a "Current Events 2022" rather than a 2019 post...
it was announced this year...so it is current events..would like saying the announcement of the city getting an olympics in the future wouldn't be current events
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:22 am it was announced this year...
As I said over in the Current Events thread, it hasn't been announced, though. The current official statement from the company is "“Gannett has no plans to discontinue the print edition of USA TODAY, which remains an important part of our business."
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:01 pm http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=5568 was on this week's episode of University Challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMWQ7xZAvLI&t=49s
He no longer goes by Saunders.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

To get this back on page one, this is from the Tuesday 10/29 game thread:
alietr wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:58 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:03 am Too bad Kari could not name drop anyone/anything for all of her family members with game show appearances other than specifying she is the first on J!
If it ain't Jeopardy, it don't count for nothin'.
That's a lot of board members insulted in one fell swoop. :)

morbeedo on Millionaire
TPH on WoF
My dad on $100,000 Name That Tune

Watch the list grow.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:06 pm To get this back on page one, this is from the Tuesday 10/29 game thread:
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:03 am Too bad Kari could not name drop anyone/anything for all of her family members with game show appearances other than specifying she is the first on J!

morbeedo on Millionaire
TPH on WoF

Watch the list grow.
Me on Merv Griffin's Crosswords.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:45 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:06 pm To get this back on page one, this is from the Tuesday 10/29 game thread:

morbeedo on Millionaire
TPH on WoF

Watch the list grow.
Me on Merv Griffin's Crosswords.
Wasn't some other boardie on Millionaire earlier this year? Dang.... Who was that? Anyway, I bet he feels pretty insulted too.