New season, new Archivists wanted

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

New season, new Archivists wanted

Post by Robert K S »

We need a new recruit or several!
Ideal candidates:
  • Are dedicated and trustworthy fans of the show who can be good stewards of the Archive
  • Can volunteer for a weekly entry commitment
  • Are nitpicky and detail-oriented
  • Are familiar with Archive conventions
  • Are Windows users (preferred)
  • Can record the show to their computers (preferred)
  • Get the show in a market where it isn't frequently pre-empted
Requested commitment is one round of clue entry per week.
If you can do a full game, even better.
Archiving is a great way to prep for the show.
Send me a PM with your e-mail address.
ahirbhairav

Re: New season, new Archivists wanted

Post by ahirbhairav »

Got everything. In fact, Macs are not even used here at my house. Even if it's only an hour to Cupertino. :D
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

ahirbhairav wrote:In fact, Macs are not even used here at my house.
Okay, I'll bite -- then why is your avatar a Mac hard drive icon?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I don't use Windows, and can't record the show to a computer. But yeah, I'm pretty dedicated to the show. I already do a recap for Wheel of Fortune Lovers once a week. The only sticking point for me would be Thursdays, since I DVR the show so I can go rehearse for my piano job at a church.
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

Questions from the peanut gallery-

1. How exactly does one record directly do their computer?
2. How much time does this take per episode?
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

Robert K S wrote:
  • Are familiar with Archive conventions
Out of curiosity, is there a fixed set of conventions, like a style guide?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

May we choose our own font, in order to liven up the Archive?

Also, when you say we must be "dedicated" and "trustworthy", you don't require references, do you?
ahirbhairav wrote:Got everything. In fact, Macs are not even used here at my house. Even if it's only an hour to Cupertino. :D
How did I know who was going to have the first response in this thread?
nfogarty
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by nfogarty »

Robert K S wrote:Are nitpicky and detail-oriented
I applaud the listing of "Erin!" in reference to Ms. Zwiener's podium signature in Thursday night's game (http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3974). Frankly, this is what I'd expect from any new archivist.

J! Archive - Come for last night's clues; stay for the detailed transcription of signatures. :D
Neville Fogarty
Back to School Week 2000
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Recording to computer--using either a TV card (which records high definition (HD) ATSC signals from over-the-air (OTA), if that's enough acronyms for you) or a video capture card that would allow you to capture the video out of your DVR. There are also DVD-based VTRs that allow you to record to a DVD and then put the DVD in your computer. There are lots of ways to get television video into your computer, but some are easier than others.

It takes between 15 and 45 minutes to archive a single round, depending on the complexity. (Clue Crew/video clues can complicate entry sometimes.) We use the closed captioning stream and other techniques to make entry less burdensome.

Yes, the Archive has a number of input conventions, which are kind of important for consistency's sake. For example, with J!/DJ! Round clues, we leave off the "Who is"/"What is" in the correct response field, but include the full response in the incorrect responses and Final Jeopardy! responses. For another example, we try never to include the correct response in the clue comments field, but instead denote it with a [*]. Yet another example is how we include any part of a correct response given by Alex, but not by a contestant, in parentheses. There are probably a couple dozen little conformity conventions like this that evolved early on in the Archive's history, and probably another few dozen for very particular instances that only pop up every now and again. It's helpful to know the basic ones, which you'll have picked up if you've spent any amount of time perusing the Archive.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Neville has pointed out another little rule--we reproduce contestant nicknames as closely as possible to how the contestants themselves wrote them on their podiums.
nfogarty
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by nfogarty »

Certainly not knocking it - it's just the first time I'd seen it happen on the Archive! Perhaps including heart-dotted 'i's is a little trickier.
Neville Fogarty
Back to School Week 2000
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

There are a few emoticons in there. Tui comes to mind.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Robert K S wrote:Recording to computer--using either a TV card (which records high definition (HD) ATSC signals from over-the-air (OTA), if that's enough acronyms for you) or a video capture card that would allow you to capture the video out of your DVR. There are also DVD-based VTRs that allow you to record to a DVD and then put the DVD in your computer. There are lots of ways to get television video into your computer, but some are easier than others.
There are others to use as well. Myself, I use eyetv for Mac, but I know they make a PC one too - lacking a real PVR/VCR, this is the only way I have to record shows anyways. Also, I think I still have the hardware and software kicking around for the one I had on my old PC (from Compro) if any budding Archivist needs it.

So, in short, if you're deemed to be a good fit for the Archive, we'll find a way to get you to work for us.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This talk of contestant podium nicknames reminds me of a brief embarrassing incident when I was called up for a rehearsal round. Anxious to get rolling, I wrote my initials on the podium. Contestant coordinator Glenn Kagan, playing "Alex", simply shook his head at me and said, "Can't play." I hit the reset button.

I'm sure plenty of two-initialed players' sign-ins have passed muster. But three initials? That's stepping over a line.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Robert K S wrote:This talk of contestant podium nicknames reminds me of a brief embarrassing incident when I was called up for a rehearsal round. Anxious to get rolling, I wrote my initials on the podium. Contestant coordinator Glenn Kagan, playing "Alex", simply shook his head at me and said, "Can't play." I hit the reset button.

I'm sure plenty of two-initialed players' sign-ins have passed muster. But three initials? That's stepping over a line.
So you're saying Mr. Tolkien would not have been welcome on the show?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:
Robert K S wrote:This talk of contestant podium nicknames reminds me of a brief embarrassing incident when I was called up for a rehearsal round. Anxious to get rolling, I wrote my initials on the podium. Contestant coordinator Glenn Kagan, playing "Alex", simply shook his head at me and said, "Can't play." I hit the reset button.

So you're saying Mr. Tolkien would not have been welcome on the show?
I don't know, but CCH Pounder was.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Robert K S wrote:I'm sure plenty of two-initialed players' sign-ins have passed muster. But three initials? That's stepping over a line.
I could shorten my five to three. But to two? No way!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

dhkendall wrote:I don't know, but CCH Pounder was.
In 2010, she signed in as "CC". I suspect that she did so in 2003 as well, and the Archive's nicknaming her "CCH" is in error. Does anyone have the 2003 recording to check?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Was Dr. Oz the only one to use his surname on the screen?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Does "Renzo" Renzoni count? :-)