Wednesday, October 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6453, 2012-10-10

Stephanie Jass game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Craig Chern, an assistant principal from Wall Township, New Jersey
Felicia McGowan, an administrative coordinator from Baltimore, Maryland
Stephanie Jass, a history professor from Milan, Michigan (whose 2-day cash winnings total $47,570)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome again to our show. One of the joys of hosting "Jeopardy!" is that I get to spend a half-hour each day in the company of some very bright people, but one of the bonuses is that I get to spend time with contestants and champions like Stephanie, who take such obvious delight in winning. I like to see that. Felicia and Craig, if you wind up as winners, I want to see that same kind of exuberance. So, good luck to all three of you. Let's go to work. We start you off in the Jeopardy! Round, and today we have these categories for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
35 YEARS AGO: 1977 (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
YOU KNOW THE RULES! (5/5)
WORD ORIGINS (4/5)
TRAVEL TEXAS (1/2)
IT'S GETTING WARM (4/5)
SHEDDING THEIR CLOTHES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Stephanie: 11 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Felicia: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Craig: 5 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Stephanie: $4,200
Felicia: $3,200
Craig: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Those of you who are hockey fans know that the pucks in National Hockey League games are frozen. The New Jersey Devils did not win the Stanley Cup last year. The Los Angeles team did. You were at a New Jersey's game, and you were struck by a puck. Where were you sitting?

Craig: I was. I was in the stands right behind the goal--one of the first games when they became the New Jersey Devils--with my dad and my brother, Chris. And a shot went over the glass before they had all the netting up and... I was carrying four sodas down to give to my brother and father, and it hit me in the shin. My brother got the puck.

Alex: Your brother got the puck?

Craig: My brother got the puck.

Alex: And he didn't give it to you.

Craig: Not until he went to college, no.

Alex: Oh, okay.

Alex: Felicia McGowan from Baltimore, Maryland. An administrative coordinator, who had a harrowing, I would think, experience landing in Jamaica.

Felicia: Yes. All the electricity was out at the airport, so they landed us by jeep light. But if you have a lot wine before, it'll be okay.

[Laughter]

Alex: Bless you for saying that. A lot of wine before... You don't have to worry.

Alex: Stephanie Jass is from Milan, Michigan. She is our champion. And what's this about you and your husband having some kind of a talent show for your wedding reception?

Stephanie: Because I'm not an--you know, I don't want enough attention as it is. No, my husband, Doug, and I got married at a camp that has traditionally, as part of their week, two talent shows, and so we invited a bunch of camp people, as well as a bunch of musical theater peop--I mean, our guest pool was really talented. So for our reception, we thought we'd, you know, lead it off with a talent show at the camp. Of course, I was the opening act with my husband.

Alex: Were there prizes for other people who did well--performed well?

Stephanie: No, we weren't that thoughtful.

Alex: Oh. Boo, hiss.

Stephanie: Sorry.

Alex: Glass of wine before you land. Now I know.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Stephanie found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Stephanie had $5,200, Felicia had $3,200, and Craig was at $1,400. Stephanie wagered $800.

35 YEARS AGO: 1977 $800: In November it began regular service between New York & Europe, about a 3 1/2 hour trip

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IT'S GETTING WARM $400: Temperatures in a traditional home this, which often uses dry rather than steam heat, range from 150 to 190
(Craig: What is a dryer?)

35 YEARS AGO: 1977 $600: The world's last known natural case of this disease was reported in Somalia

35 YEARS AGO: 1977 $1000: Completed by Christopher Tolkien, this history of Middle-earth was published in 1977
(Craig: What is The Similarian?)
(Alex: And we have less than a minute to go.)

WORD ORIGINS $1000: This condiment gets its name from the Chinese for "pickled fish brine"

TRAVEL TEXAS $400: Say howdy to 52-foot Big Tex at the state fair of Texas, a stone's throw from this college football stadium
(Craig: What is the University of Texas?)
(Stephanie: What is Texas A&M?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Stephanie: $5,800
Felicia: $4,000
Craig: $0
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GREAT MEN & WOMEN OF MEDICINE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
POP CULTURE BEFORE & AFTER (5/5)
GEOGRAPH"IA" (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: each correct response will end in the letters I-A.)
THAT BOOK WAS A HORROR! (3/5)
STOPS (2/2)
ONE LETTER DIFFERENCE (3/5) (Alex: We need two words in your response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Stephanie: 12 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Craig: 7 R, 1 W
Felicia: 3 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Stephanie snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Stephanie had $13,000, Felicia had $3,200, and Craig was at $2,800. Stephanie wagered $2,000.

GREAT MEN & WOMEN OF MEDICINE $1600: Her work as an obstetrical nurse for poor women made her an advocate of birth control, a term she coined

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Felicia who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Stephanie had $17,800, Felicia had $4,400, and Craig was at $3,200. Felicia wagered $3,000.

GEOGRAPH"IA" $1600: Until it declared its independence in 1991, it was the southernmost of the republics that made up Yugoslavia
(Felicia: What is Albania?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THAT BOOK WAS A HORROR! $1200: Stephen King, 2009: "Under" this

THAT BOOK WAS A HORROR! $2000: John Wyndham, 1951: "The Day of" these invading plants
(Felicia: What are the Locusts?)

ONE LETTER DIFFERENCE $400: To linger & to deflect the blow of a sword

ONE LETTER DIFFERENCE $800: To cushion or shield & a "serve yourself" type of meal
(Craig: What is buffet and buffet?)
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, Stephanie.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Stephanie: $22,200 (lock game)
Craig: $6,000
Felicia: $1,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC RULERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Stephanie: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $10,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Craig: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,199 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Felicia: You've no hope of catching up... unless Craig does something stupid. So risk $1,399.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This ruler of a New World country was born in Vienna's Schonbrunn Palace in 1832 & executed far from home in 1867

FINAL SCORES
Felicia: $1,400 - $1,200 = $200 (Who was ?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Craig: $6,000 + $1,000 = $7,000 (Who was Maxmillian I?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Stephanie: $22,200 - $3,000 = $19,200 (Who was Tsar Nicholas?) (3-day champion: $66,770)
(Alex: [to Craig] Did you write anything down?)
(Craig: Nothing good.)
(Alex: Nothing good? You said, [*]. And you are right, even--yeah, it looks good.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Stephanie: $21,800, 23 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Craig: $6,000, 12 R, 4 W
Felicia: $4,400, 9 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $32,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Stephanie: 23/60 = .383
Craig: 13/58 = .224
Felicia: 9/59 = .153
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
IT'S GETTING WARM $200: It can reach 800 degrees during the day on this planet (Venus is a little hotter), but the night's a bit brisk at -275
(Stephanie: What is Mars?)

WORD ORIGINS $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) From the Latin for "piece of felt", it's the process of separating a solid out of a liquid using a membrane

35 YEARS AGO: 1977 $400: This blockbuster set in "a galaxy far, far away" hit theaters just before Memorial Day weekend
(Alex: Episode IV, yes.)

POP CULTURE BEFORE & AFTER $1600: TV show in which Fred MacMurray raises Chip, Robbie & Ernie, who are part of Ron Perlman's biker gang
(Alex: [laughing] I love that one.)

THAT BOOK WAS A HORROR! $1600: Shirley Jackson, 1959: "The Haunting of" this "House"
(Stephanie: What is [*] House?)

GREAT MEN & WOMEN OF MEDICINE $400: (Dr. Oz presents the clue.) Frederick Banting, an orthopedic surgeon, went into research & won a Nobel Prize for his work extracting insulin from the pancreas, the first effective treatment for this disorder

GREAT MEN & WOMEN OF MEDICINE $1200: (Dr. Oz presents the clue.) Dr. Dorothy Andersen named this disease, CF for short, & also helped create a test to diagnose it

GREAT MEN & WOMEN OF MEDICINE $2000: (Dr. Oz presents the clue.) This South African performed the first kidney transplant in his homeland in 1959 & in 1967 performed the first ever human heart transplant, catapulting him to worldwide fame

STOPS $800: On I-80 in Iowa you'll find what claims to be the world's largest this; it has a 300-seat restaurant & 24 private showers
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the SST (or the Concorde)
a home sauna
smallpox
The Silmarillion
ketchup
the Cotton Bowl
Margaret Sanger
Macedonia
the Dome
the Triffids
tarry & parry
buffer & buffet
Maximilian I
Mercury
filter (or filtration)
Star Wars
My Three Sons of Anarchy
Hill
diabetes
cystic fibrosis
(Dr. Christiaan) Barnard
a truck stop
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by legendneverdies »

Will Alex Karras get mentioned in a clue today?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Historic Rulers
This ruler of a new world country was born in Vienna's Schonbrunn Palace in 1832 & executed far from home in 1867.
Spoiler
Who was Maximilian I? Felicia had no guess; Stephanie said Tsar Nicholas.

Stephanie Jass: $22,200-$3,000=$19,200...now a 3-day champion with $66,770
Craig: $6,000+$1,000=$7,000
Felicia: $1,400-$1,200=$200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I wouldn't have gotten any of the Shedding Clothes clues in a million years. On the other hand, the incredibly vague sauna clue cost me the run in Warm, and getting gunshy on "filter" cost me kept me from 5/5 in Word Origins. (I actually knew "sinister" from a book about left-handedness, and "curfew" and "ketchup" from Uncle John's Bathroom Reader.)

Surprised myself with a run on 1 Letter Different, although I think mine/mime should've been $400, and the parry one much lower.

Yeah, FJ! was one of those where I put down "no" on my score card as soon as the category came up.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Congrats on another win, Stephanie!

I got FJ, but had about as much confidence as Craig did.
BobF

Post by BobF »

I missed FJ - damn multitasking. I was finishing up a document for work and I flipped it over to the Reds-Giants game "just for the commercial break". I was hoping they'd post it on here.

Congrats, Stephanie, you've got quite a run going!
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Stephanie, congrats on another great runaway. I'm having so much fun watching you.

Instaget FJ!, mainly due to my travels in Mexico. I've been to both where Maximilian lived and ruled (Chapultepec is a must-see if you go to Mexico City) and where he was later captured and imprisoned. Interesting history.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Many congrats to Dr. J, or as I think she should be called, Steamroller Stephanie!

Had a lot of fun on the clues tonight, especially 1977 and geography ending in 'ia'. Swept both categories.

Being a fan of history, the FJ was an 'instaget' --- is that the phrase? Don't want to look *too* much like a newbie on this board.

Looking forward to tomorrow's show; wondering what off-the-wall story Stephanie will come up with *this* time. (And I truly think Alex --- despite being called 'The Devil' by her --- is rather smitten by Stephanie.)
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With three wins & $66,770, Stephanie moves into ninth place in the 2011-13 ToC standings.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BADuBois wrote:Being a fan of history, the FJ was an 'instaget' --- is that the phrase?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

BobF wrote:I missed FJ - damn multitasking. I was finishing up a document for work and I flipped it over to the Reds-Giants game "just for the commercial break". I was hoping they'd post it on here.
Who's "they"?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Another impressive victory, Dr J! Must be nice knowing you've won even before FJ is offered!
This one I knew from playing FaceBook's Jeopardy! app.
The "one letter difference" category wasn't what I was expecting, but ran it anyway. Wait no- I missed one. Can't remember which one. I'll check archives later.
Ran 1977, missed one in "ia." Too bad it was the same one Felicia missed. :( Knew the other two DDs instantly, though.
BrotherFlounder

Post by BrotherFlounder »

Stephanie, you've got a really impressive run going. What was that, 7 DDs in a row, or close to it?

No idea how I pulled FJ out of thin air. Would have been exactly like Craig.

Semi-related: Found this board quite recently. Nice to see so many contestants on here!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I said Ethiopia, but would Abbysenia have been acceptable?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Bamaman wrote:I said Ethiopia, but would Abbysenia have been acceptable?
If it were, if you pronounced it that way, probably not.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

What the heck was that "ketchup" clue talking about?

Ketchup(is the romanization for "ke chup(Cantonese Chinese pronunciation for "tomato sauce")" so how did it turn out to be pickled something? I recall it having 3 words which is utterly confusing.

The ia DD for the challenger was a sneaky one as it gives you Albania, Croatia, Macedonia, Serbia(sans the others). I quickly thought of Greece/Alexander the Great and pulled it out. Anyone happen to know an easy way to know how those countries are located?

Good episode all-in-all, go DR. J!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CyrusChan wrote:What the heck was that "ketchup" clue talking about?

Ketchup(is the romanization for "ke chup(Cantonese Chinese pronunciation for "tomato sauce")" so how did it turn out to be pickled something? I recall it having 3 words which is utterly confusing.
You sure on that? Wikipedia says "In the 1690s the Chinese mixed a concoction of pickled fish and spices and called it (in the Amoy dialect) kôe-chiap or kê-chiap (鮭汁, Mandarin guī zhī) meaning the brine of pickled fish (鮭, carp; 汁, juice) or shellfish."
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:What the heck was that "ketchup" clue talking about?

You sure on that? Wikipedia says "In the 1690s the Chinese mixed a concoction of pickled fish and spices and called it (in the Amoy dialect) kôe-chiap or kê-chiap (鮭汁, Mandarin guī zhī) meaning the brine of pickled fish (鮭, carp; 汁, juice) or shellfish."
I figured it had to be a non-Mandarin dialect. The fact that it wasn't even Cantonese makes it a little annoying that they referred to it as "Chinese" without comment.
ayeembored
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by ayeembored »

Here's something for the FJ poll.

"I would have clammed because I would have no chance of pronouncing The Silmarillion correctly, even though I knew the answer."

*raises hand*