Friday, October 12, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Re: Friday, October 12, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Dr. J »

seaborgium wrote:
Bamaman wrote:to my knowledge, there are four people who won their first four games without getting an FJ right (most recent first): Anthony Fox, Meredith Robbins, Faith Love, and Dan Girard. Of those, Faith is the only one to miss FJ #5 as well, and Dan is the only one to win game 5 (getting FJ right from a lock-tie, which may make him the only 5x champ who never gained a dollar from FJs).
At least I'm not alone! Looking back on my wager, I think I WAS wagering for $20K, figuring that I would have Oscar Noms in the bag. Le Sigh.

Brendan, no need to go after random haters on Twitter on my behalf; most of them just think that I'm annoying, and that's a *shocking* allegation that I've never heard before. :lol:
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Dr. J wrote:P.S. Thanks for being kinder to me than the Twitterverse! :D
From Two Broke Girls: "Twitter is for idiots. Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

Congratulations on win #5 and a likely ToC berth Dr. J!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:If a dude goes 0/5 in sports then enjoy your game there won't be a second.
That's a broad generalization, Mark, that I take a little offence to (but since I consider you a friend, and know it was an innocent comment, I harbour absolutely no ill will towards you, don't worry). Sports is not something that I really get. Several of my male friends are the same way. There is a relatively challenging (at least to non-sports fans like me) quiz that Paucle has about sports where I"m not the only male boardie to have opted to bow out of it, simply because our sports knowledge isn't nearly that good. I have got 5/5 on a sports category (and feel very pleased when I do), but that's the exception, not the rule. One of these days I'll have my strengths and weaknesses analyzed from my keeping track of my right/wrongs from watching, and I'll probably discover my get in sports is more around the 25% range, with about 60% being clams. Whenever I get on, chances are pretty good I'll get a sports category, but I'm confident enough in my knowledge in other fields that I should be able to compensate for that and actually get a second game (provided I'm not up against a buzzer buzzsaw.)
Of course writing off a gender for not scoring in any category is ridiculous. It's just what I do when watching is to predict someone will win or lose based on any minor thing that catches my attention. Matt didn't get any of the clues in A Position of Importance. Yes, he could have been outbuzzed all five times although I watched again and it only seemed that he was trying on one of the clues. For me that was enough. He's done and not returning. The fact that he did end up losing doesn't prove a thing. I understand that.

Shortstop, center, goalie, safety, catcher - Please tell me you knew at least one of those clues?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:Shortstop, center, goalie, safety, catcher - Please tell me you knew at least one of those clues?
I got the centre one, partly off of Gretzky, partly because I knew that was a multi-sport position. Wrong guess for catcher (said shortshop, I guess I forgot it was used earlier)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MarkBarrett wrote:Shortstop, center, goalie, safety, catcher - Please tell me you knew at least one of those clues?
i knew centre and catcher, if that's any help.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Oh, one thing I noticed about this game: since when is Hawaiian a "North American" language? I suppose politically, Hawaii is part of North America, but culturally, anthropologically, and even linguistically, Hawaii is a better fit with Oceania. (I mean, does the show say "This European city is close to the equator, making it an ideal place to launch rockets from for the European Space Agency"?
Spoiler
What is Korou, French Guiana
) That area is about as much a part of Europe as Hawaii is part of N. America, as it is an integral state of an EU member, like Hawaii is an integral state of a N. American nation ... )

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote:
I got the centre one, partly off of Gretzky, partly because I knew that was a multi-sport position. Wrong guess for catcher (said shortshop, I guess I forgot it was used earlier)
Yeah the Gretzky clue would be a good one to hold the buzzer up high, so that even if you were outbuzzed you could show you were trying.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote:Dr. J, were you specifically wagering your lead over Matt, or just shooting for $20,000? You got off scot-free, but it's a cautionary tale for those who might consider betting more than the "cover second by a dollar" amount. Because Jennifer got FJ wrong, you dodged a bullet that she wasn't even aiming at you!
I just realized that I was misremembering Matt's pre-FJ total when I made this post; I thought he'd had $8,800 (which would have made Jennifer's wager a little more sensible. But then, maybe she perfectly predicted Stephanie's!). Most of what I say still stands, though.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I'm a guy who plays sports and follows certain sports. Two that I DON'T follow are NFL & NBA. I do watch the Superbowl though. I usually do fairly well in football categories anyway because the knowledge is sooooo generic.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

BADuBois wrote:
Dr. J wrote:
Thanks for being kinder to me than the Twitterverse! :D
Whaaaat? I can't believe anybody would give our Steamroller any grief. That's despicable.

Ahem. Do let me know who's giving you grief. I'm a crime writer. I *know* people, if you know what I mean...

Looking forward to Monday. We're all rooting for you Stephanie!

I just took one of your books out of my local library!
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Johnblue wrote:I just took one of your books out of my local library!
I'm gonna tell!
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Borrowed! I'm getting ready to retire/move several states away so I've stopped buying books.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Johnblue wrote:
I just took one of your books out of my local library!
Well, if you enjoy it, let us all know.

If not, feel free to keep it to yourself... :D
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Your opinion, that is; the book you have to give back.

Twitter seems to be the latest home for the nastiness that resided on Television Without Pity back when I was on the show; a contest to see who bring the most snark with the least wit. (Although I have met a few folks from here out there, such as Stefan, Drew and our current gloriously reigning ToC champion.) I also got dropped by a former champ for being too political in my posts and reposts (I cannot bring myself to call it a 'tweet'), so you are able to block the ones who you find objectionable. Fwiw, I'm @TomKBaltimore.

And, might I add, Stephanie, you have done something that I have not been able to do. My current housemates know that I DVR and watch the show religiously, but they usually avoid watching it with me -- something about me yelling at contestants to get off my TV for various offenses. But they have watched every show since your first, waiting for the interview segment to see what the "smart lady who's crazy enough to tumble in dryers" is going to say next. Not to cause any retro-performance anxiety, but you've set a high bar for next week's interviews!
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

believe me, stephanie, twitter loves you. there will always be haters, but the response there, as here, has been overwhelmingly positive. also, this can't hurt. i smell an endorsement deal!
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

dhkendall wrote:Oh, one thing I noticed about this game: since when is Hawaiian a "North American" language? I suppose politically, Hawaii is part of North America, but culturally, anthropologically, and even linguistically, Hawaii is a better fit with Oceania. (I mean, does the show say "This European city is close to the equator, making it an ideal place to launch rockets from for the European Space Agency"?
Spoiler
) That area is about as much a part of Europe as Hawaii is part of N. America, as it is an integral state of an EU member, like Hawaii is an integral state of a N. American nation ... )
Your analogy is particularly inapt, as that city is actually located on another continent, so calling it European is blatantly misleading, even if there is a political connection. Hawaii, while geographically distinct, at least is not physically attached to a different continent altogether.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

marpocky wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Oh, one thing I noticed about this game: since when is Hawaiian a "North American" language? I suppose politically, Hawaii is part of North America, but culturally, anthropologically, and even linguistically, Hawaii is a better fit with Oceania. (I mean, does the show say "This European city is close to the equator, making it an ideal place to launch rockets from for the European Space Agency"?
Spoiler
Your analogy is particularly inapt, as that city is actually located on another continent, so calling it European is blatantly misleading, even if there is a political connection. Hawaii, while geographically distinct, at least is not physically attached to a different continent altogether.
I see your point, however, most of Oceania (save for most of the nation of Australia) are not on a continent at all. If you want to discount it from that (and discount every Oceaninan country save Australia from being in any continent (as well as other island countries like the UK, Madagascar, and Singapore), it still is linked more culturally, linguistically, and anthropologically to other Micronesian and Polynesian cultures than anything North American.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

When I saw Argo this weekend it had me thinking about future Jeopardy! clues if it gets nominated for Best Picture.

Argo rhymes with this 1996 nominee

Argo and this 2011 nominee both end in "go"

This is the only 4-letter nominee to win
Spoiler
Fargo
Hugo
Gigi
I would not have guessed that the number of 4-letter nominees was 9. How many can you name?
Spoiler
Gigi
Mash
Jaws
Tess
Reds
Babe
Juno
Milk
Hugo
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Paucle wrote:
(I came up with "Orson Welles" at the last second, and felt pretty good about it!)
Glad to see this. I also tried in vain, came up with Welles, also felt pretty good about it. That was a tough final clue!