Thursday, October 20, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 20, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6229, 2011-10-20

CONTESTANTS
Jay Peterson, an English professor from Howell, New Jersey
Jessie Christensen, a librarian from Orem, Utah
Lloyd Caesar, an office manager from Watervliet, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $22,359)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny, and welcome, ladies and gentlemen. On yesterday's program, we had two returning co-champions. Lloyd Caesar was the only challenger. He managed to beat both champions in order to wind up here today, but he now has to defend against Jessie and Jay. The J's have arrived. Good luck, players. Here we go. The first round of play, as you know, has one Daily Double, and it will appear in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SPORTS & CIVIL RIGHTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LITERARY STUPID ANSWERS (5/5)
CONJUNCTIONS (5/5)
MEET THE FLINT STONES (5/5)
AT SIXES & SEVENS (4/5)
YUM "O"! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jessie: 12 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Jay: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Lloyd: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jessie: $3,800
Jay: $2,000
Lloyd: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jay Peterson is an English professor from New Jersey, and, Jay, for some reason this year, we've been talking to a number of our contestants about when they got engaged and when they got married, and you recently got engaged, right?

Jay: We did. Uh, my fiancée Alexandra, who's here today--uh, we got engaged last summer in Rome...

Alex: Oh.

Jay: So we thought, uh, we'd plan an Italian wedding for next summer, escape some of the--the traditional hassles, and...

Alex: Are you gonna get married in Rome, or have you picked some other well-known Italian spot?

Jay: Yeah. No, in Rome. In Rome.

Alex: In Rome?

Jay: Yep. it's, uh, it's going to be a small affair and a little bit more intimate, and... Oh, you're invited, of course, and, uh...

[Laughter]

Jay: You know, bring Johnny.

Alex: Yeah. Johnny and me and our wives. Okay.

Jay: You got it.

Alex: We'll do that. Thank you.

Alex: Jessie. Jessie Christensen from Orem, Utah, is a librarian, and tell me about what you and your kids do each week. You learn about a different country, but not just learn about. You go further than that.

Jessie: Yeah, we started a project about--a little over a year ago, where we went through--I made a list of about 50 or so countries, and every week we would cook some food from that country, print up a flag and color it, read some stories, and right now we're working on the 50 states, so just the other night we watched The Princess and the Frog and ate beignets from New Orleans.

Alex: Oh, how--that sounds like so much fun.

Jessie: It's fun. My kids really love it.

Alex: Yeah.

Alex: Lloyd Caesar is our champion, and he discovered one of the problems of, uh, being a tourist in foreign lands. You were just 15, I believe, and you were ogling some girls in Mexico, and what happened?

Jessie: Well, technically, I wasn't a tourist. I was w--I was--I lived in Mexico at the time.

Alex: Ah.

Jessie: And I was working, as a summer job... uh, selling books door-to-door, and I had just made a few deliveries, so I had some cash in my pocket. Some pretty girls came up to me, started chatting me up. When they left, I realized my pockets were a bit lighter than they had been before. [Chuckles]

Alex: That was an important lesson to learn for a 15-year-old, believe me.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jay found the Daily Double on the 16th clue. Lloyd had $1,800, Jessie had $3,800, and Jay was at $2,000. Jay made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,000.

SPORTS & CIVIL RIGHTS $400: This clause in a law signed June 23, 1972 changed women's college athletics forever
(Alex: [*]. You got it. Education Amendments of 1972.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AT SIXES & SEVENS $800: In opera, she performs the "Dance of the Seven Veils"
(Jessie: Who is Scheherazade?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jay: $8,000
Jessie: $4,400
Lloyd: $4,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 20, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SHIP LORE (5/5)
AUSTRALISMS (5/5)
HISTORIC NAMES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE HIGH LAND (5/5)
ACTING HURT (4/5)
REALLY HURT (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jessie: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Lloyd: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Jay: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jay snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Lloyd had $6,600, Jessie had $7,600, and Jay was at $10,000. Jay wagered $2,000.

HISTORIC NAMES $1600: In 1514 this Spanish explorer was made military governor of Bimini & Florida
(Alex: Yes, that's right. Never found the Fountain of Youth, but wound up as governor. Go again.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jessie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Lloyd had $7,800, Jessie had $13,200, and Jay was at $14,400. Jessie wagered $3,800.

REALLY HURT $1600: Rogaine won't repair this stress-induced pain also called a capillary fracture
(Jessie: Uh, what is... um... uh...)
(Alex: When you say "Rogaine", you think of hair... Baldness. So it's [*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HISTORIC NAMES $2000: An excise officer in England, he hunted for smugglers & collected taxes before coming to America & writing "The Crisis"

ACTING HURT $2000: Making this film in Brazil in 1985, William Hurt was kidnapped at gunpoint; that's one hard-earned Oscar

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jay: $16,400
Lloyd: $12,600
Jessie: $11,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TOP OF THE POP CHARTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Jay: Wager $8,801 to cover Lloyd.
Lloyd: You ought to wager to cover Jessie, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings with a wager of all $12,600. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $9,400 (to shut out Jessie) or less than $5,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Jessie). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Jay.
Jessie: Consider risking between $1,601 and $3,400. This will top a $0 wager by Lloyd while still beating Jay on the Triple Stumper (should Jay wager to cover Lloyd's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1978 he replaced his brothers at No. 1, who then replaced him; one of the brothers was a writer on all 3 songs

FINAL SCORES
Jessie: $11,000 - $10,000 = $1,000 (Who is Michael Jackson?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Lloyd: $12,600 + $12,599 = $25,199 (Who is Andy Gibb?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jay: $16,400 + $8,801 = $25,201 (Who is Andy Gibb?) (New champion: $25,201)
(Alex: Three brothers had many, many, many hits. The youngest brother had a number of hits on his own.)
(Alex: I'm going home whistling and singing "Night Fever", and we'll see you all tomorrow right here.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jessie: $14,800, 23 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Jay: $14,400, 19 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Lloyd: $12,600, 14 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $41,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Jessie: 23/59 = .390
Jay: 20/60 = .333
Lloyd: 15/58 = .259
Team: 58/63 = .921

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SPORTS & CIVIL RIGHTS $200: 8 years after Jackie Robinson broke in with the Dodgers, Elston Howard became the first black player on this A.L. rival
(Alex: He was a great catcher.)

LITERARY STUPID ANSWERS $600: It's the one-word title of Scott Turow's 2010 sequel to "Presumed Innocent"
(Jay: What is Guilty?)

AT SIXES & SEVENS $400: It's a women's track & field competition that consists of 7 events
(Jay: What is a septathlon?)

MEET THE FLINT STONES $200: The flint core stones seen here were used to produce this

MEET THE FLINT STONES $400: The flint seen here is from a stratum of this stuff you might use to write "I will answer in the form of a question" 100 times
(Jessie: What is graphite?)

MEET THE FLINT STONES $800: The prehistoric flint projectile points seen here were found near this New Mexico town, named for a game show

MEET THE FLINT STONES $1000: Dark bands of flint are visible in these famous cliffs

THE HIGH LAND $800: Africa tops out in this country
(Jessie: What is Kenya?)
(Alex: [*]. Mt. Kilimanjaro, correct.)

AUSTRALISMS $1600: If you get a busy signal in Brisbane, the line is said to be this premarital term
(Alex: Yes, just like you!)

REALLY HURT $800: From Latin for "crushing", it's a fancy term for a bruise
(Jay: What is hematoma?)
(Lloyd: What is maceration?)

SHIP LORE $1200: Be careful with any Finns on board--olden sailors say they're these, a word for specifically male witches or wizards
(Jessie: What is a mage?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Title IX
Salome
Poncé de Leon
a hairline fracture
Thomas Paine
Kiss of the Spider Woman
Andy Gibb
the (New York) Yankees
Innocent
a heptathlon
fire
chalk
Truth or Consequences
the Cliffs of Dover
Tanzania
engaged
a contusion
warlocks
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, October 20, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Top of the Pop Charts
In 1978 he replaced his brothers at No. 1, who then replaced him; one of the brothers was a writer on all 3 songs.
Spoiler
Who is Andy Gibb? Jessie said Michael Jackson.
Jay Peterson: $16.400+$8,801=$25,201...now a 1-day champion with $25,201
Lloyd Caesar: $12,600+$12,599=$25.199
Jessie Christensen: $11,000-$10,000=$1,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Just to get this out before I watch the rest of the show (came home from work, and wife was watching J!, FJ! had just come on). Thought of the BeeGees because of the year, but forgot/didn't know that either of the Brothers Gibb were a solo hitmaker, and didn't want to guess as to which one, in case it was neither (I know, a TPH moment). Settled with the King of Pop.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Seeing the FJ category had me waving the white flag before the clue was even read. After the reveal, I was ready to settle on Michael Jackson, since he seemed plausible on first glance, if a bit too easy. With about 10 seconds left, I reread the clue and went down the list:
-"1978? Sounds about right. (off by a year, as it turns out)
-**Brothers had hits? Check.
-Topped the charts solo? Check.
-Brothers wrote the songs? Wait a sec...
I might be wrong, but I can't see Tito or Jermaine writing MJ's songs back in '78...oh crap. OK scramble, who else had hitmaking brothers and had a sol....ANDY GIBB!!! *time runs out*" Cut to a shot of me giggling like a schoolgirl for survivng what may be my worst category.
Another answer pulled out of my ass, but I'll take it.

Good game today. Hoping to see some 3+ day champs soon though.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Robin Gibb had two top 40 solo hits, one in 1978 and one in 1984, and Barry had a top 40 solo hit in 1984. However, Oh Darling(a Beatles cover) and SHine Shine (Robin), and Boys do Fall in Love(Barry) aren't well remembered. Oh Darling hit the teens on the Hot 100 and the other two in the 30s. Trebek's end of show quote was something to the effect of "I'm going to go hum Night Fever now", he also referenced "We're Staying Alive with the Bee Gees" on his last episode of High Rollers in 1980.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was another GREAT game! I liked the board, too.

I got lucky on FJ and guessed Andy Gibb. I actually didn't think that any of the Gibb brothers would be correct, and I didn't know which one to pick between Maurice, Barry, and Andy (I forgot that the fourth one's name was Robin), but I somehow picked the right one. I must have only picked the right one because I thought that none of them was the correct response; if I felt strongly that one of them had been the correct response I probably would have picked the wrong one. My only other guess was Michael Jackson but I figured 1978 to be too early for him.
alamble

Post by alamble »

xxaaaxx wrote:Seeing the FJ category had me waving the white flag before the clue was even read. After the reveal, I was ready to settle on Michael Jackson, since he seemed plausible on first glance, if a bit too easy. With about 10 seconds left, I reread the clue and went down the list:
-"1978? Sounds about right. (off by a year, as it turns out)
-Had hits with brothers? Check.
-Topped the charts solo? Check.
-Brothers wrote the songs? Wait a sec...
I might be wrong, but I can't see Tito or Jermaine writing MJ's songs back in '78...oh crap. OK scramble, who else was in a group with brothers and went sol....ANDY GIBB!!! *time runs out*" Cut to a shot of me giggling like a schoolgirl for survivng what may be my worst category.
Another answer pulled out of my ass, but I'll take it.

Good game today. Hoping to see some 3+ day champs soon though.
Andy was never a member of the Bee Gees, and the question didn't reference him as such; it simply noted that his brothers had a band that produced several hit songs.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

alamble wrote: Andy was never a member of the Bee Gees, and the question didn't reference him as such; it simply noted that his brothers had a band that produced several hit songs.
Yeah, phrased that wrong, meannt to say 'brothers had hits' (and thought I did)
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

By decade alone, I had FJ down to three groups: the Gibb brothers, the Jacksons and the Tavares brothers. (If anyone doesn't know, Tavares the group were 6 brothers.) Tavares and the Jacksons had way too many brothers alone (and Tavares never had one of the 6 with a solo hit). That made it easy when taking Andy Gibb and piecing together his hits (I Just Want to Be Your Everything & Shadow Dancing) and putting his brothers hits in it. I had the Gibbs down in 5 seconds, then spent the last 25 trying to piece together a hit timeline.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

StevenH wrote:This was another GREAT game! I liked the board, too.

I got lucky on FJ and guessed Andy Gibb. I actually didn't think that any of the Gibb brothers would be correct, and I didn't know which one to pick between Maurice, Barry, and Andy (I forgot that the fourth one's name was Robin), but I somehow picked the right one. I must have only picked the right one because I thought that none of them was the correct response; if I felt strongly that one of them had been the correct response I probably would have picked the wrong one. My only other guess was Michael Jackson but I figured 1978 to be too early for him.
Michael had Ben hit #1 in 1972, but the Jacksons/Jackson Five's only four #1 hits were their first four, all hitting #1 in 1970. Michael nor the Jacksons had significant chart action in 1978. J! could probably get an FJ! triple stumper about the artist with the most top 40 hits in the 80s, counting solo and band and collaborations. Michael(counting solo, Mccartney's two duets with him and four Jacksons top 40 hits) has 23 and Phil Collins beats Michael with 25(counting solo, duets, and Genesis)
Last edited by legendneverdies on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Messed up and guessed Donnie Osmond. Somehow conflated the Osmond brothers with the Beegees. Argh.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Pop music of that era is so far in my wheel house, you need one of those fire-exit maps to find your way out. That was as insta-get as insta-gets get... or "as insta-gets insta-get" even.

And just to give Stefan some warm fuzzies.... "Oh, if only Lloyd could've rung in on the final clue $2000, he would've won by 1,998!" (C'mon, we needed to import it from the old board!)
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

I picked the wrong Gibb... I said Maurice. whoops! Good game to watch - three good players.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Nice strong showing by Jay. And I like that Lloyd was just as easygoing about coming in second as he was about winning.

As far as the FJ! clue, even though it was an instaget for me (having survived that epoch in radio music), my visceral reaction was ugh ugh ugh ecch ugh nastay ptui ptui. Not to be a music snob or anything, but the Gibbs' hostile takeover of disco music pretty much killed the whole genre artistically and, eventually, commercially. Not that I have an opinion or anything.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I also just realized that yesterday I was listening to my collection of 70s dance music that's on my iPod (pretty much all disco), in which the Brothers Gibb featured prominently, and any Jackson was absent.

(Yes, I just did what I never thought I'd do, admit publicly that I like some 70s dance music songs enough to have an album's worth on my iPod. 'Scuse me while I go into the witness protection program and change my identity.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

did anyone else think Jessie said "The Women in White" on the Wilkie Collins question? I rewound it and that's what I heard.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Instaget FJ, shutout averted. Normally this would fall in my chronological dead zone of pop music knowledge, but I'm familiar with Andy Gibb thanks to "Behind the Music," and I think I read in a Bathroom Reader that he replaced his brothers at #1. The apt title "Thicker Than Water" served as a mental adhesive for me.

Jay's body language after Lloyd's FJ was revealed made me think that Lloyd was about to become a two-time champ.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:By decade alone, I had FJ down to three groups: the Gibb brothers, the Jacksons and the Tavares brothers. (If anyone doesn't know, Tavares the group were 6 brothers.) Tavares and the Jacksons had way too many brothers alone (and Tavares never had one of the 6 with a solo hit). That made it easy when taking Andy Gibb and piecing together his hits (I Just Want to Be Your Everything & Shadow Dancing) and putting his brothers hits in it. I had the Gibbs down in 5 seconds, then spent the last 25 trying to piece together a hit timeline.
Tavares is too obscure to be likely to come up as an FJ response in regular play (and indeed, it has zero appearances in the archive).

I was pretty sure that the Jacksons had no hits in 1978, and I didn't think that the King of Pop's brothers had any hits as a group without him. I got to the Bee Gees very quickly ('70s disco is a wheelhouse for me), and then I just needed to make sure I picked the right Gibb brother (which I did).

So, what would have happened if one of the contestants had responded with "A Woman in White" for the Wilkie Collins book? (It's not like that was my response while watching at home). :mrgreen: Or, alternatively, would "Woman in White" without the definite article have been acceptable?

The players played well, but I do think the boards were pretty easy -- and palpably easier than two nights ago.

Oh, and I wasn't going to miss the Edie Falco clue after blowing that FJ last season. :D
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Not an FJ I wanted to see one day after a long winning streak ended. Music is far from my wheelhouse. Still, it was an instaget for me. A singer in the 1970s that had brothers that had their own group. Had to be Andy Gibb.

Hate to see Lloyd go. I liked his style of questioning, like he was actually asking.