Thursday, February 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6784, 2014-02-27

Arthur Chu game 8.

CONTESTANTS
Claire Tuley, a paralegal from Chattanooga, Tennessee
Chris Sanchez, a high-school language-arts teacher from Chaparral, New Mexico
Arthur Chu, a compliance analyst and voiceover artist from Broadview Heights, Ohio (whose 7-day cash winnings total $180,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Those of you who keep track of such things know that, by now, Arthur has moved into the top ten of money-winners in regular games on Jeopardy! and the way he's been playing, he could easily go over $200,000 in total winnings at the end of this half-hour, but Chris and Claire are not intimidated. They are here to stop him. Good luck to all three of you. Here we go! Jeopardy! Round. And these are the categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ALEX' HONKY-TONK SALOON (4/5) (Alex: Happy to welcome you in.)
5-LETTER WORDS (3/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NAMING RIGHTS (3/4)
SITCOM BY EPISODES (5/5)
BENIN THERE (2/4)
DONE THAT (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Arthur: 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Chris: 4 R, 1 W
Claire: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Arthur: $4,000
Claire: $1,800
Chris: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Claire Tuley is from Chattanooga,Tennessee, and this young lady wrote plays for schoolchildren. How old were the kids?

Claire: Well, the actors were high schoolers like me, but it was part of the summer reading program, so it was mostly, you know, 5-year-olds through about 8-year-olds.

Alex: Okay, what kind of plays are we talking about? Comedies?

Claire: They were fractured fairy tales, so things like, you know, "Snow White and the Five Average-Sized People" and "Cinderella, or How I Got Some New Shoes and Changed My Life" --you know, sort of variations on old classics.

Alex: You have to be careful when you're writing for kids. You have to be careful to be politically correct.

Claire: Yes.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Chris Sanchez is from Chaparral, New Mexico --a high-school language arts teacher Who used to coach girls softball.

Chris: Yes, sir, I did. I started coaching at Chaparral about two years ago. Had a couple of interesting things happen early on in the season. I thought I had covered all the bases, literally --taught the kids how to bat, taught the kids how to field. Only problem is, I didn't teach them to do it not at the same time. I had one girl come up to me at our first game and said,"Coach, what do I do with my mitt while I'm batting?"

[ laughter ]

Alex: There's no crying in baseball or softball.

Alex: Arthur Chu is our champion. How old are you?

Arthur: I'm 29 years old.

Alex: Okay. How did you accumulate the breadth of knowledge that you have demonstrated so far on our program? It's amazing.

Arthur: I read a lot. I'm interested in a lot of different things. And when I found out I was gonna be on the show, I did study a bit, so...

Alex: Aha.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Arthur found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Arthur had $5,400, Chris had $1,000, and Claire was at $1,800. Arthur made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,400.

5-LETTER WORDS $600: A recess in a wall, or a situation
suited to a person; we hope you've found yours

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NAMING RIGHTS $1000: This Roundup herbicide company got the naming rights to the insectarium
at the St. Louis zoo
(Chris: What is Miracle-Gro?)
(Claire: What is Raid?)

5-LETTER WORDS $1000: & in other news,
change a letter in
the name of a sea creature & you get this short filler item in a newspaper
(Alex: Change the "D" in "squid" to a "B" for [*].)

BENIN THERE $800: Majestic elephants & this scavenger, Canis aureus,
share W National Park, named
for the shape of bends of the Niger river
(Arthur: What are hyenas?)

BENIN THERE $400: On a December morning, your sinuses may be irritated by a harmattan, this, but it only lasts until March

ALEX' HONKY-TONK SALOON $400: Doc? Doc Holliday? Now, you're the one that's the medico, but I think you got pulmonary phthisis, or this... I'll shut up & pour

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Arthur: $12,000
Claire: $2,400
Chris: $1,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, February 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
U.S. GOVERNMENT (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A 1980s BOOKSTORE (5/5)
"M" IN THE MIDDLE (3/5) (Alex: The letter "M" will come up in the middle, the exact middle, of each correct response.)
STATE BIRDS (3/5)
ENTERTAINERS (4/5)
CNN RELIGION (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Arthur: 19 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 0 W
Claire: 3 R, 0 W
Chris: 2 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Arthur snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Arthur had $14,800, Chris had $4,600, and Claire was at $4,000. Arthur wagered $5,000.

U.S. GOVERNMENT $2000: Financial need for a federal Pell grant is determined by this department

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Arthur who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Arthur had $31,000, Chris had $2,600, and Claire was at $5,200. Arthur wagered $10,000.

CNN RELIGION $800: A 2013 CNN special on him, "A Man of Many Firsts", included his newsmaking line "Who am I to judge?"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
STATE BIRDS $2000: Both Montana and Nebraska have the western type of this bird

"M" IN THE MIDDLE $2000: To the British, it's a blackberry; to Americans, it can be any rough, prickly bush

ENTERTAINERS $1600: This three-named man is an accomplished musician as well as a unique character actor
(Alex: Still going strong. His name is [*].)

"M" IN THE MIDDLE $1200: This penal institution is for the correction of young offenders, especially minors

U.S. GOVERNMENT $1600: It's the process by which a congressional committee debates & amends a bill, & maybe increases its price

STATE BIRDS $800: This state bird of Maryland is black & orange
(Chris: What is the oriole?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Chris: What is the black oriole?)
(Alex: What is the [*]? It makes sense, doesn't it, when you hear it.)
(Chris: Yes it does.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Arthur: $44,200 (lock game)
Claire: $6,000
Chris: $1,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LANDMARKS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Arthur: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $32,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Claire: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,399 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Chris: You've no hope of catching up... unless Claire does something stupid. So risk $1,799.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
From 1936 to 1987, the Los Angeles Department of Water & Power helped operate this facility in another state

FINAL SCORES
Chris: $1,800 + $1,798 = $3,598 (What is the Hoover Dam?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Claire: $6,000 + $2,000 = $8,000 (What is Hoover Dam) (2nd place: $2,000)
Arthur: $44,200 + $14,000 = $58,200 (What is Hoover Dam) (8-day champion: $238,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Arthur: $27,200, 33 R (including 3 DDs), 1 W
Claire: $6,000, 7 R, 1 W
Chris: $1,800, 6 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $35,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Arthur: 34/61 = .557
Claire: 8/58 = .138
Chris: 7/58 = .121
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ALEX' HONKY-TONK SALOON $200: A little poker, gents? First card is dealt face down, the next 4, face up for a game of 5-card this; good luck!
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

ENTERTAINERS $400: This comic known for verbal outbursts was also well-versed in physical comedy.

CNN RELIGION $2000: (CNN's Sara Sidner delivers the clue.) Exciting archaeological finds such as clay seals & the names of biblical figures have been unearthed in this 3000-year-old part of Jerusalem known as the city of this biblical king
(Chris: Who is Solomon?)

CNN RELIGION $1200: (CNN's Dan Rivers delivers the clue.) Krung Thep is the local name for Bangkok, but that's only the first two syllables of the full name which includes "city of angels", "residence of the emerald" & this religious figure

CNN RELIGION $400: (CNN's Sumnima Udas delivers the clue.) The earliest reference to a city in the Delhi area appears in the Mahabharata, a basic text of this religion

CORRECT RESPONSES
niche
Monsanto
squib
jackal
wind
tuberculosis
Department of Education
Pope Francis
meadowlark
bramble
Harry Dean Stanton
reformatory
markup
Baltimore Oriole
Hoover Dam
stud
W.C. Fields
David
Buddha
Hinduism
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Landmarks
From 1936 to 1987, the Los Angeles Department of Water & Power helped operate this facility in another state.

Spoiler
What is Hoover Dam?

Arthur Chu: $44,200+$14,000=$58,200...now an 8-day champion with $238,200
Claire Tuley: $6,000+$2,000=$8,000
Chris Sanchez: $1,800+$1,798=$3,598
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I don't get why people feel the need to criticize Arthur. He does a great job playing the game and honestly I want to see more champions like him on the show.
nealpollack
Contributor

Post by nealpollack »

Anyone who criticizes Chu because of his gameplay doesn't know much about the game. He's been thrilling to watch. Most of the criticism I've heard has been about his self-promotional strategy, which has been equally relentless and aggressive.
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

I don't know that I've felt compelled to give a standing ovation in front of my television set more than two or three times in all the years I've watched Jeopardy!, but I found myself on my feet while applauding today at the conclusion of the Double Jeopardy! round. Arthur Chu may be the most consistently dominant competitor I've seen in regular-season play since David Madden; with a few more wins, I might say he is David Madden's regular-season equal or even be willing to go beyond that, and I'd started to believe that was a statement I might never make. Arthur Chu has provided some of the most spectacular moments of this or any other season in recent memory. I hope he can extend his streak to nine wins heading into the second week of the Battle of the Decades!
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

One reason Arthur has become famous is because of the 3 week time span between his appearances. Jeopardy! did everything they could to promote him over the 3 weeks and I will wager that the ratings have gone up while he has been on.
It is a win-win for Jeopardy! and Arthur. He is having a great run. He is exciting to watch.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

LOL. Two Volvo 740s. He'll win by $30,000 if not more.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

What was with Alex's math today? When Arthur hit the last DD, the scores were $31,000/$5,200 and he said Arthur had "almost a $25,000 lead".

Then he said Arthur needed to bet $23,000 to break the one day record, when he actually was $33,000 from the mark.

With the scores $44,200/$6,000/$1,800, the most he could bet without risking his lock was
$31,199, which would have made his final total $73,399. His poor sports knowledge cost him a chance at the record. If he gets the Baltimore Oriole, he has $45,000 after DJ and could ultimately have $77,999.

Other than that, not much to criticize about Arthur's game today. A command performance, very well done. Take a bow, Arthur!!!! I had a feeling early that FJ would be uncontested and was not disappointed.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

Is $58,200 the #3 score of all time? It seems like it might be. Regardless, very well done Arthur.

I felt a bit stupid about final. For some reason, I was thinking nuclear and for some other stupid reason went with Three Mile Island. Ah well.

Does Alex traditionally not use an S in the plural possessive? That was weird to me.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was expecting an extra music piece on Saloon for $1000, so I didn't realize I had to listen to the music UNDER the clue.

I also thought Parks & Rec was undervalued at $200. South Park should've been at the top IMO.

0/5 in Done That.

Couldn't think of a predatory canid in time. Jackal was obvious after the fact, though.

====

Pell grant was obvious for education? Huh?!?

Got only Houdini and "DJ" in Entertainers. Skrillex is yet another name I learned from TV Tropes.

Christine was my only get in Books, although I clammed on Red October.

"Well, Maryland's bird may be an Oriole because of the Baltimore Orioles… What, how can you be more specific in oriole? There's only one kind of oriole, isn't there?" Duuuuuuuuh… I love how I can be right in front of the answer but still not get it.

I still went 3/5 on Birds. Needed only "New Mexico" for Road Runner, and Meadowlark was the only one I had no idea on.

====

No guess on FJ! Water and Power led me absolutely nowhere. Could be literally anything for all I know.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I was hoping you might take a stab at the record, but hey, that was an awesome performance, Arthur.

Instaget FJ, although I did consider the Grand Coulee for about a second or two.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Pell grant was obvious for education? Huh?!?
Probably one of the easiest bottom-row clues ever.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

I might as well stop hating and just respect... this guy is the real deal. His strategy may bug me to death, but isn't a dominating champ like him what I always long to see?
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Official award for all of Arthur's past and future opponents.

4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Can't wait to see if one of tonight's contestants post on Facebook stating they would kick Arthur's ass in a rematch.

And Chris should have stopped trying to answer after the 7th clue in order to give the other challenger a chance to catch up.

Great game, not much more to say.
Tacos

Post by Tacos »

Bamaman wrote:With the scores $44,200/$6,000/$1,800, the most he could bet without risking his lock was
$31,199, which would have made his final total $73,399.
I think you need to check your own math here - he could have beaten the record by $399.

What a virtuosic performance today...

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize Alex was wrong and the record is actually $77,000, so he could not in fact beat it without risking the lock.
Last edited by Tacos on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Amazing Arthur just continues to dominate. What an awesome game today!

Picked up Lach trash on "Monsanto", "wind", "meadowlark", "bramble" and "Baltimore Oriole"

Instaget FJ.
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

The record is actually $77,000, set by Roger Craig.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

My apologies to the amazing Harry Dean Stanton for blanking on his face!

Again, less than optimal clue selection when the challengers had control of the board. I knew it was gonna be ugly when they both went less than zero in the first round.

Arthur, Arthur, Arthur.... <sigh> Somebody wake me when it's all over.