Tuesday, March 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jjwaymee »

pauljanssen wrote:Hmmmmm...... so "Catcher in the Rye" is the same as "The Catcher in the Rye?" Because only the latter is technically correct. But I don't know the Jeopardy rules on this, so I'll defer to someone who does.
The show has always been lenient about the first article in the title of a response but very strict about having all of the subsequent words exactly right.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Came home in time to catch FJ. Finally ended a six-game FJ losing streak with an instaget. I'll still watch the entire game tomorrow when I have time.

And again, congrats Arthur!
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

naurae29 wrote:It really sounded like Arthur said "Freeman's Bureau" and then corrected it when Alex asked him to repeat it. (Full disclosure: I had trouble remembering which it was, but did "ring in" with the right one.)

I randomly visited the Museum of Natural History today after flying a kite on the National Mall, so I especially enjoyed the T-Rex and sabertoothed tiger clues in the tooth category.

Instaget FJ that had me yelling, "You're really asking this? This is an $800 clue!"
I just watched it again. He said Freeman's Bureau and got to correct himself. That response might have caused the judges to be on higher alert when he gave the DD response of McDarmand/McDormond. I will be looking forward to Arthur's commentary on this game. What do you want to bet that he doesn't give his responses quitesolightningfast in subsequent games?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

At this point, now that we've been treated to your voiceover talent, what is it that a compliance analyst does, Arthur?
tonypct
Contributor

Post by tonypct »

Being on the road, I have not been able to watch the last two episodes. I was hoping to come on here and read that Arthur was finally defeated. I am definitely rooting for the underdog(s) against Arthur.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

The seemingly copious amount of people that think Jeopardy! is shown live must really think Arthur is a dick if he's acting like this on day 11, after seeing how he's come off on prior shows. I get it--exhaustion, jet lag, he's had some frustrating misses and mispronunciations--but today he did bother me for the first time, particularly because they didn't get through the board. Assuming Arthur keeps winning, as long as he gets through tomorrow's game, I think the lunch break will be good for him.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

dunno if anyone has already commented on this since I'm watching from DVR and therefore posting "blind." Don't song lyrics have to be exact? There's no "s" at the end of Cracker Jack in "Take Me Out To the Ballgame."

Lotta lach trash in round one for me. What was surprising is how much was put out the back door by Arthur!

Megainstaget FJ.
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

That "freeman"...."come again?" "Freedman" was the same "get it right the 2nd time" as Brad squeaked through with on Friday, with "streptococcus."
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

Paucle wrote:dunno if anyone has already commented on this since I'm watching from DVR and therefore posting "blind." Don't song lyrics have to be exact? There's no "s" at the end of Cracker Jack in "Take Me Out To the Ballgame."

Lotta lach trash in round one for me. What was surprising is how much was put out the back door by Arthur!

Megainstaget FJ.
I brought up the Cracker Jack issue on the previous page. My take on it was that the clue was looking for a product and not an actual song lyric.

In my mind it would be like:
A) "It's the brand of car mentioned in the song 'American Pie."
vs
B) "It's the word that completes the line: 'Drove my ___ to the levy but the levy was dry.'"

"What is Chevrolet" would probably be accepted for A (as would, I assume, "What are Chevys," "What are Chevrolets," etc), but would be rejected as a response for B. Same here. It is common to refer to the snack as "Cracker Jacks," so it correctly answers the clue, regardless of what the exact song lyric is.
southsidehitman
Has Been in Cliff Clavin's Kitchen

Post by southsidehitman »

koam wrote:That "freeman"...."come again?" "Freedman" was the same "get it right the 2nd time" as Brad squeaked through with on Friday, with "streptococcus."
I get why Alex is asking for a repeat of the response - if he negs it without hearing clearly, and the player actually got it right, they have to stop and re-tape the segment. The alternative, that a player with an initially incorrect response might legally change his response before the allowed time elapses, as a result of Alex's prompting, must be preferable to the producers.

Did anyone else notice that Kirsten, either intentionally or otherwise, had a much slower cadence and pause when selecting and responding to clues? Perhaps that threw off Arthur's timing? Although, I didn't see yesterday's game, and don't have any basis of comparison for how weak Arthur's game was yesterday.
"Well, I'm not quite ready, so I'm gonna do it now."
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

Arthur's wins on both Monday and Tuesday were runaway locks. They weren't weak wins; they just had weak moments.

I have no idea why he wouldn't have bet to tie today. I'd want to bring her back every time. It sure seemed like he could beat her again. Not that it mattered because she didn't go all in...her only chance of winning via a tie.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Did anyone get that hippopotamus clue?
hscer

Post by hscer »

Insta-get FJ was a welcome change. If they had dropped the year from the clue, that would have made it more of a challenge--one I think I could conceivably have met, but who knows.

As someone who got Monroe last Monday, not knowing the $1600 and missing the $2000 (I wanted to say Barkley, but I forced Garner with 3 people entering the room as the clue was read) in the Vice Presidents category was a disappointment for me. Fortunately the $1200 was easy--reminiscent of the Jackie Kennedy clue yesterday.

Last couple shows have been a slog for the champ, especially with missed Daily Doubles that you might think would keep people in the game, but haven't. To me the pronunciation issues are just funny (funny-curious, not funny-haha), though, because I was only 95% sure on Freedman's vs. Freeman's, maybe 80% sure on Waterston vs. Waterson, and also pronounced Gerry's name as "Jerry." But, I had no idea what the actress's name in Fargo was anyway.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Did anyone get that hippopotamus clue?
I got it on the rebound, but I wasn't allowed to rebound, since I too guessed walrus first time around.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

Yes.
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

A bit nit-picky, but I'm pretty sure Alex added a 'g' onto the end of "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan"
LeroyFinkelstein
Contributor

Post by LeroyFinkelstein »

First time posting. Hi.

Killed the J! round w/ close to $10,000. (As a reference, my average coryat score is around that amount.) Picked up LT on Spike Lee. No negs. If only every round was like that...

Double J! was much harder (...obviously). LT on Wish You Were Here, Freewheeling. Negged on Lucasfilm (I said "ILM"), and Teenage Dream ("California Dreaming"... lol). Loved the Linklater reference in the Ethan Hawke clue.

Instaget FJ.

Curious as to whether Arthur knew it was pronounced "McDormand" and just slipped up from being under pressure. He seemed to know the answer right away.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Steppenwolf wrote:A bit nit-picky, but I'm pretty sure Alex added a 'g' onto the end of "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan"
They were looking for the word 'freewheeling'. Mr. Zimmerman was simply used as a TOM.

I cannot get over the amount of Lach Trash I picked up tonight. Much more than usual.

Instaget FJ. I am surprised a) it wasn't a triple get, and b) some here missed it.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I still have no idea how I can get myself to actually think during FJ! It's like, even when I pick up on a key word, I still hit a dead end. As I said, "Catch" was staring me right in the face, but I couldn't for the life of me think of a single book with "Catch" in the title. It's like there's some kind of mental block that always comes up and makes my brain switch off during the Think! music.
VAdame
Contributor

Post by VAdame »

Yes.
TenPoundHammer wrote:I couldn't for the life of me think of a single book with "Catch" in the title.
Well, I would like to forget the The Catcher in the Rye exists (hated it! and Salinger in general!) Still instaget for me :mrgreen:

I was amused at "WaterSTON" - I remember a few years ago, a contestant got dinged for saying "WaterSON" - and I bet Arthur remembers it too.