Wednesday, March 12, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6793, 2014-03-12

Arthur Chu game 12.

CONTESTANTS
Diana Peloquin, a graduate student of law and social work from Ann Arbor, Michigan
Julie Hornick, a middle school librarian from Summerville, South Carolina
Arthur Chu, a compliance analyst and voiceover artist from Broadview Heights, Ohio (whose 11-day cash winnings total $297,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. And welcome, ladies and gentlemen. I'm going to begin today's program with the same question I posed at the end of yesterday's show, And that is --is today the day that Arthur goes over $300,000 in winnings? Julie and Diana will have a great deal to say about that. Good luck. Here we go. Let's take a look at the categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
INSPIRED CHARACTERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
RHYME TREBEK, TREBEK! (5/5)
IT ALWAYS HAPPENS IN "THREE"S (5/5)
CEO COMPENSATION (5/5) (Alex: According to 2012 figures from Forbes.)
TOO BAD (5/5)
SO SAD (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Diana: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Arthur: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Julie: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Diana found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Arthur had $800, Julie was scoreless, and Diana was at $1,400. Diana made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,400.

INSPIRED CHARACTERS $400: This characters is Charles Dickens' most autobiographical; his initials are the reverse of the author's

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Diana: $5,400
Arthur: $3,200
Julie: $2,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Diana Peloquin is from Ann Arbor, Michigan, and this young lady competed at the U.S. synchronized-swimming championships all four years you were in college.

Diana: Yes, I started synchronized swimming freshman year of college as a member of the William & Mary Mermettes. So I traded in my regular high-school competition suit for a sparkly swimsuit and gelatined hair for those competitions.

Alex: How many on the team?

Diana: There were six to eight on the team. The great thing is, I was a beginner, but synchronized swimming is so small of a sport, I got to go to nationals and compete.

Alex: Good for you. And all of the girls wearing those little nose clips?

Diana: Yep, absolutely, with an extra tucked in.

Alex: Oh, really? Okay.

Alex: Julie Hornick is a librarian from South Carolina, who was on a game show --another game show --what, about 11 years ago?

Julie: Yes, just about 11 years ago, I was on "The Weakest Link" --the half-hour version, not the full-hour-long version of it.

Alex: [imitating Anne Robinson] You are the weakest link!

Julie: Yeah.

Alex: [normal voice] Were you on with Miss Robinson?

Julie: No, I was not. I was on with George Gray. He was --

Alex: And how well did you do?

Julie: Well, I actually ended up winning, despite not knowing how many quarters there were in $1.50 under pressure.

Alex: Well, there are seven quarters in $1.50.

Julie: Absolutely. [laughs]

Alex: I know that, and you knew that then.

Julie: I think I said five.

Alex: All right, Arthur Chu. We talked about your work doing voice-overs. And you also did tours in Washington, D.C., correct?

Arthur: When I first moved there, yes. Yeah.

Alex: Do you know what the most visited Washington, D.C., site is now?

Arthur: What is it? Oh, are you gonna --there's no money at stake. I'm not gonna --

Alex: There's no money at stake, no. The Vietnam Memorial.

Arthur: Oh, that doesn't surprise me.

Alex: The most visited site at present.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SO SAD $600: "Dust to Dust" is a 2013 song by this country-folk duo whose name suggests the discord that split them up

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Diana: $6,200
Julie: $5,400
Arthur: $4,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MEDICAL PROBLEMS (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ITALIAN ADJECTIVES (5/5) (Alex: ...and you have to translate the Italian adjective into English.)
PHILOSOPHY (2/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ON THE "M"AP (4/4)
NATIVE AMERICANS (3/5)
NEW ENTERTAINMENT AWARDS? (4/5) (Alex: They sound like the Emmy, the Grammy, the Tony--I hope you get the idea.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Arthur: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Julie: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Diana: 4 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Diana snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Arthur had $4,800, Julie had $9,400, and Diana was at $7,800. Diana wagered $3,500.

MEDICAL PROBLEMS $1600: The H. pylori bacterium causes this type of ulcer, from the Greek for "digestive"
(Diana: What is peptide?)
(Alex: ...)
(Diane: [*]? [chuckles nervously])
(Alex: [*] is right. Yes, [*].)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Arthur who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 11th clue. Arthur had $7,600, Julie had $5,400, and Diana was at $11,300. Arthur made it a True Daily Double, wagering $7,600.

PHILOSOPHY $1600: Antisthenes began this
-ism with the view that self-interest is the primary motive of human behavior
(Arthur: What is egoism?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NEW ENTERTAINMENT AWARDS? $2000: Coveted by every speechwriter-turned-columnist, it's named for the woman seen here
(Alex: Her name is [*] Noonan, so the new entertainment award would be the [*].)

PHILOSOPHY $2000: Philosophers distinguish between 2 kinds of knowledge: a priori, by thinking, & this, from experience
(Arthur: What is a postiori? [long i sound for the second "i"])
(Julie: A postiori? [long e sound for the second "i"])
(Alex: The response we were going for is [*]. Arthur, you left the "r" out; Julie you did not phrase your response in the form of a question.)

NATIVE AMERICANS $2000: Taza, son of this chief, tried to honor his father's peace agreement with the Army but couldn't unite all the Apache bands
(Julie: Who is Geronimo?)

NATIVE AMERICANS $1600: This Ottawa chief's "drive" to capture Ford Detroit in 1763 might have been successful if he hadn't been betrayed
(Julie: Who is Cadillac?)
(Alex: Julie, you picked the wrong car. It's [*], not Cadillac.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Diana: $12,100
Julie: $7,800
Arthur: $6,400

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: A change in scoring to announce because both Terrys, Gilliam and Jones, in that awards category were members of Monty Python, and so Montys has been deemed an acceptable response, and Arthur has been credited accordingly.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH ROYALTY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Diana: Wager $3,501 to cover Julie.
Julie: You have the hope of surpassing Diana if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $5,001 to force Diana to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Arthur.
Arthur: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $6,398 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He was the last male monarch who had not previously been Prince of Wales

FINAL SCORES
Arthur: $6,400 - $6,400 = $0 (Who was George II?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Julie: $7,800 - $5,100 = $2,700 (Who was George V?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Diana: $12,100 + $3,600 = $15,700 (Who is George VI?) (New champion: $15,700)
(Alex: His older brother had been Prince of Wales but did something really weird.)
(Alex: $15,700 as our new champion is crowned, Diana; and Arthur, you're going away with just a little shade under $300,000. A great run--we'll see you in our Tournament of Champions.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Arthur: $14,000, 23 R, 6 W (including 1 DD)
Diana: $9,200, 13 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Julie: $7,800, 16 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $31,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Arthur: 23/59 = .390
Julie: 16/58 = .276
Diana: 14/60 = .233
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
INSPIRED CHARACTERS $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from outside St. Francis Cathedral in Santa Fe, New Mexico.) St. Francis Cathedral is one of the many structures built by Jean-Baptiste Lamy, the first archbishop of Santa Fe & the model for the quiet, pious title character in this Willa Cather novel

IT ALWAYS HAPPENS IN "THREE"S $1000: This Kurt Weill musical drama was produced in German as "Die Dreigroschenoper" in 1928
(Arthur: What is the The Twopenny Opera?)
(Alex: You were one penny short there Arthur, sorry.)

SO SAD $400: In a 1988 hit, Poison lamented that "Every Rose Has" one of these
(Arthur: What is [*]s?)
(Alex: [*], yeah.)

TOO BAD $600: Last name of Lorenzino, who on Jan. 5, 1537 decided the Duke of Florence needed to breathe a lot less
(Arthur: Who is Borgia?)

RHYME TREBEK, TREBEK! $400: Unit of dry volume equal to 8 quarts
(Julie: What is...a half-gallon?)
(Alex: "Half-gallon" rhyming with "Trebek"? That's how much I dr-- well, we won't talk about that.)
[Laughter]

NEW ENTERTAINMENT AWARDS? $1200: An award for best sister in a comic strip gets its name from her
(Diana: What is the Lucy?)

NATIVE AMERICANS $1200: This people's Old Oraibi pueblo in Arizona, settled around 1150, may be the USA's oldest continuously inhabited village
(Arthur: Who are the Navajo?)

ON THE "M"AP $800: This principality in southwest Europe is about 370 acres
(Arthur: What...is...Malta?)

MEDICAL PROBLEMS $800: This viral disease that causes inflammation of the liver has A, B, C, D & E types
(Alex: You are correct, with less than a minute to go.)

NEW ENTERTAINMENT AWARDS? $800: We're not sure if Mr. Gilliam or Mr. Jones inspired this award for British comedy troupe members
(Arthur: What are the Montys?)
[Originally ruled incorrect but later deemed acceptable and overturned prior to Final Jeopardy! because "both Terrys...were members of Monty Python".]

NATIVE AMERICANS $400: Her descendants through her son Thomas Rolfe number in the tens of thousands
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
David Copperfield
The Civil Wars
peptic
cynicism
Peggy
empirical or a posteriori
Cochise
Pontiac
George VI
Death Comes for the Archbishop
The Threepenny Opera
thorn
Medici
a peck
Sally
the Hopi
Monaco
hepatitis
the Terrys
Pocahontas
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

British Royalty
He was the last male monarch who had not previously been Prince of Wales.

Spoiler
Who is George VI? Arthur said George II; Julie said George V.

Diana Peloquin: $12,100+$3,600=$15,700...now a 1-day champion with $15,700
Julie Hornick: $7,800-$5,100=$2,700
Arthur Chu: $6,400-$6,400=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

This is why you don't get cute with Trebek.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Austin Powers wrote:This is why you don't get cute with Trebek.
But Maggie told him to be more engaging! I hear he's going to wear a teddy bear costume for the TOC.
Dudd
Valued Contributor

Post by Dudd »

Interesting to see that the non-Arthur winner still wagered for the tie. Got spoiled while browsing deadspin and it won't air until 7:30 where I'm at, but I wonder how long the Arthur effect will last before everyone goes back to their normal +1 wagers.
chalupabatman786
Valued Contributor

Post by chalupabatman786 »

Congrats on the great run Arthur! Looking forward to seeing you in the TOC.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

See, bad things Do happen when you speak the name "Macbeth".
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Dudd wrote:Interesting to see that the non-Arthur winner still wagered for the tie. Got spoiled while browsing deadspin and it won't air until 7:30 where I'm at, but I wonder how long the Arthur effect will last before everyone goes back to their normal +1 wagers.
Actually, she overshot second place's doubled score by $100.
Tygor
Contributor

Post by Tygor »

Pretty impressive game played by all three. I appreciate Arthur going all-in on the last daily double and thought he knew it. A good effect of the hunting for daily doubles is that there is always time to come back if needed, as seen today. I'm not an Arthur hater by any means, but he hasn't played well this week, so I really wonder if the night before taping something happened (lack of sleep, bad flight, etc.).

FJ was wayyy too tough for me as my lack of British History really hurts in those times.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Even considered in isolation, that was a great game to watch. Congratulations to Arthur, Diana, and also Julie, who put up a good fight. I can only imagine how Arthur felt after playing eight games in two days. Perhaps 80% disappointment, 15% exhaustion, 5% relief?
georgetrev
Contributor

Post by georgetrev »

Well, the beast has been slain.
Golf

Post by Golf »

What was with the applause immediately after the last clue of the J! round? Was it hate for Arthur because he was in third? Did Diana run that category even though nobody cares since it was split up all over the place?

Glad to see Diana start DD hunting and then going TDD when she hit it.

Didn't really like Arthur's TDD in a bottom row category at that point of the game whether he answered correctly or not, but at the same time not really sure what the ideal wager would have been. If it would have been in the 2nd row I definitely would have liked it.

In the end, Diana deserved the win, she played strategically sound and was the only won to answer FJ correct. She seemed extremely excited that she did the deed, nice to see.

Great run Arthur, 3rd longest ever certainly nothing to sneeze at. Will be interesting to see how he does in the ToC up against others with excellent knowledge bases. Of course I'm betting he uses that time to study. A lot.

And fuck zakharov for posting in yesterday's thread that deadspin had an early spoiler about today's game. Douche.

edit - apparently got the names of Diana and Julie mixed up
Last edited by Golf on Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote:What was with the applause immediately after the last clue of the J! round? Was it hate for Arthur because he was in third?
Well, obviously. When a presumed underdog not only holds her own but comes out ahead at the end of DJ against an 11-day champion buzzsaw, the most obvious reason to cheer is because you hate the champ.

EDIT: Oops. I'll learn to read for comprehension some day. The applause at the end of the J! round was also obviously out of hatred for Arthur and not to acknowledge the positive accomplishment of TWO contestants who were doing better than holding their own against someone who had heretofore been an unstoppable force.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Well, it couldn't last forever. I personally enjoyed the heck out of Arthur and will look forward to him in the TOC.

====

Copperfield was a stupid miss for me. i somehow missed "reverse".

So that's who wrote The Great Gatsby. I recognize both that title and the name F. Scott Fitzgerald, but somehow never put the two together.

I hated, hated, hated The Weakest Link because I just don't see the comedy in openly insulting people.

Ran "So Sad", with Lach Trash on Civil Wars.

Oddly, $200 was my only miss in CEO. I had no idea what they were talking about with someone's name on a cup. The only thing I could think of was a custom made coffee cup with someone's name on it, not scrawled in sharpie on a styrofoam cup.

4/5 in "Rhyme Trebek". What the heck was $1000 talking about? Tanker on the rocks = wreck? Don't get it.

====

WAGged on "a posteriori" after the rebound, and wound up with more Lach Trash. I think "a posteriori" is also where I pulled that answer out of. :D

Italian went totally over my head except $400 and $1200. I saw no way to get "crazy", "too much", or "busy". Anyone?

Peggy was my only miss in "New Entertainment Awards".

====

No guess on FJ! To me, this is about as relevant as "It's the largest country in area completely south of the Equator that has a female President." Again, how do you POSSIBLY tell these guys apart when they're all "First Name the Nth"?
Shmuel
Contributor

Post by Shmuel »

Golf wrote:And fuck zakharov for posting in yesterday's thread that deadspin had an early spoiler about today's game. Douche.
Yup.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Congrats on your excellent run, Arthur!

Picked up Lach trash: "Pontiac"

Didn't get FJ. I guessed George II instead.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Congrats on your magnificent run, Arthur!

Picked up Lach trash: "Pontiac"

Didn't get FJ. I guessed George II instead.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Having watched "The King's Speech" for a second time a few weeks ago, FJ was almost an instaget for me.

Weird pronunciation on Robespierre from Arthur. Not the first time he's done that during his run.

Far be it from me to criticize someone who's just won 11 games, but Arthur doesn't look as quick on the signalling device as other multiple-day winners.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I have seen people mention that spoilers exist on outside sites (like the offical Facebook page) without getting flamed to a crisp. I'm sorry if I made anyone mad. That said, let's dial back on the name-calling a bit. It's a TV show.

Sad to see Arthur go - it was fun to have Jeopardy be back in the mainstream for a few weeks.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS