Thursday, March 13, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, March 13, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by naurae29 »

Turned the TV on after the first category had been played. Picked up "de Beauvoir," "chestnut," "Daniel," and "river."

Somehow misread FJ and the word "closest" crept in. So I was trying to think of a country whose capital was 4000 miles away from the capital of its closest neighbor. :oops:
DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DadofTwins »

Do I get to be the smart-alec who says Paris & Brasilia, even though neither is on a peninsula?

Oh, goody.
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

Concerning the Bible Art question about the huge bunch of grapes the spies brought back in Numbers...
I answered 'the land of milk and honey'. It seems to match the way it was phrased at least as well
as 'the Promised Land'. Any opinions on whether it would be ruled correct as well?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DadofTwins wrote:Do I get to be the smart-alec who says Paris & Brasilia, even though neither is on a peninsula?

Oh, goody.
I'm guessing you missed the word "border"?
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

Steppenwolf wrote:Concerning the Bible Art question about the huge bunch of grapes the spies brought back in Numbers...
I answered 'the land of milk and honey'. It seems to match the way it was phrased at least as well
as 'the Promised Land'. Any opinions on whether it would be ruled correct as well?
Oh! I totally did that, too!
hscer

Post by hscer »

Steppenwolf wrote:Concerning the Bible Art question about the huge bunch of grapes the spies brought back in Numbers...
That's actually what I said too. I counted myself wrong, but I'm certainly willing to have my mind changed. I'm pretty sure they do refer to the same place, so.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

econgator wrote:
DadofTwins wrote:Do I get to be the smart-alec who says Paris & Brasilia, even though neither is on a peninsula?

Oh, goody.
I'm guessing you missed the word "border"?
Nah, Brazil borders French Guiana. I doubt Alex would get it, but it'd be amusing for the 9 people at home who would :).
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Diana filled her role of giant killer perfectly... she's a female, and she lost her next game. How does it always happen this way?!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

hscer wrote:
That's actually what I said too. I counted myself wrong, but I'm certainly willing to have my mind changed. I'm pretty sure they do refer to the same place, so.
It would depend on what the wording of the clue was as well as the name of the painting and the scriptural reference the artist was making.
davey

Post by davey »

zakharov wrote:After the bouncing and the tournaments, playing the "traditional" way was like playing on easy mode. I didn't track my score but I know I did a lot better than the last few Arthur games.

Picked up the trash on chestnut, Simone de Beauvoir, the Last Supper, and Promised Land. Surprised that nobody got de Beauvoir.

I went with Moscow and Beijing for FJ. Didn't know that Pyongyang was on a peninsula, and considering I just read a book on NK I probably should.
That's why they call it the Korean peninsula, right? I don't think I would have come up with it for a long time...With all the news lately, all I could think of was Moscow and Kiev, even though I know the latter is not in Crimea... :oops:
As for de Beauvoir, maybe I'm just cranky lately, but it's irritating when someone confidently hits a category - at $1200, it seemed like she was going to bounce - and then knows nothing about the topic...(To be fair, she got The Red and the Black...) Almost as irritating as passing up a Daily Double placed in one's lap...
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

heelsrule1988 wrote:Diana filled her role of giant killer perfectly... she's a female, and she lost her next game. How does it always happen this way?!
In a week, the only people who will remember her name are those on this board.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

Count me as another (since a few others seem to have had trouble as well) who thought they wanted a city that made up most or all of its peninsula (like Athens or Istanbul or San Francisco or pre-filled-in-Back-Bay-Boston, although of course only one of those is a current capital), not a city that happened to be located on a much larger peninsula.
jeopardyhopeful
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyhopeful »

Wow. Russia borders North Korea. Who'd have thought? Russia borders a lot of countries. I count at least eleven. I'm guessing when they say "border", they mean they have to physically touch, not be separated by water, right? So Russia would not be considered to border the US or Japan, even though they are close enough at some points you could throw a rock from one country to the other?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

3/5 for me in Automakers with Honda, Tucker and Pierce. I'll take it. AP can decide which one was each player. ;)

I had the moll, but not the gun to complete the "G.M." requirement.

Last night's combined Coryat: 31,000
Tonight's: 32,400

It was a different night with Arthur no longer playing. The DDs were in boxes totaling $3600 and the wagers totaled $3700.

Yes, Periodic Spelling was a good category to bet the farm if there was a DD and a good one to ring in ASAP and use the extra time to figure it out as long as you are decent with such type clues. Nice work by Jessica.

Can I have a redo on the FJ! clue? I quickly figured out that Moscow was half. Great. Figuring out the peninsula part led me to Korea. Great again. I wrote Seoul. There is no justification or excuse for doing that and I will not even try.

Congrats to Matt for being smarter with his response.
Secretariat
Contributor

Post by Secretariat »

I miss Diana.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Here's the actual line reading on Homer Simpson saying he doesn't know Mr. Burns's first name. I don't know what Alex was doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7BkdARYNAE
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Oh, goody.
That was my thinking, and I'm pretty sure that more than 4000 mi separates them, too.
VAdame
Contributor

Post by VAdame »

That was my thinking, and I'm pretty sure that more than 4000 mi separates them, too
5472.something miles, by air!
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

An airplane blew a tire in Philadelphia and therefore channel 6 had to preempt DJ for a static picture of a plane on the ground.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:
Matt Kish: $13,000+$10,201=$23,201...now a 1-day champion with $23,201
Jessica Rebel: $11,600-$11,598=$2
Diana Peloquin: $5,700-$5,697=$3
Jessica must have really hated Arthur. So was so appreciative of Diana beating him she gave her second place and an extra $1,000.

In Matt's spot on the last DD I might have considered betting $8,200. That gives me a crush if I'm right and exactly half the leader's total if I'm wrong. If I had enough to give me a lock if I'm right I would have seriously considered it. I got Daniel but am still wondering where in the Bible Mona Lisa appeared.

I had Moscow but couldn't come up with anything else and scribbled down Washington DC and Mexico City just to have something.