FJs for the 10/24/11 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 10/24/11 week?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:02 pm

Of the top 10 cities in population within city limits, this one of 1.4 million is the only state capital
46%
Monopoly creator Charles Darrow's sole quote in "the Yale Book of Quotations" includes this 3-digit number
90%
In 1940 at age 44 he died of a heart attack at his Hollywood home while reading his Princeton Alumni Weekly
67%
The villain's visage in this movie series was partly chosen due to its likeness to an 1893 work by a Norwegian artist
63%
In 1823 this Scot obtained a patent for a process that made silk, paper & "other substances impervious to water and air"
25%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
8%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
No votes
NOVELS BY CHAPTER TITLE $600: "Hester and Pearl"
88%
WORLD GEOGRAPHY $800: The Luzon strait separates Taiwan from this country to the south
77%
GOIN' SOLO $600: ...From Fleetwood Mac with "Stand Back"
68%
NICE "BUN"S $1000: To botch (this clue reminded me of mr. bungle.)
67%
speaking of mr. bungle, i have noticed that the posts by jpahk use his style.
10%

Total votes: 84

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 10/24/11 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

10/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. CITIES

10/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the top 10 cities in population within city limits, this one of 1.4 million is the only state capital

10/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC GAMES

10/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Monopoly creator Charles Darrow's sole quote in "the Yale Book of Quotations" includes this 3-digit number

10/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
DEATH OF AN AUTHOR

10/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1940 at age 44 he died of a heart attack at his Hollywood home while reading his Princeton Alumni Weekly

10/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOVIES

10/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The villain's visage in this movie series was partly chosen due to its likeness to an 1893 work by a Norwegian artist

10/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INVENTORS

10/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1823 this Scot obtained a patent for a process that made silk, paper & "other substances impervious to water and air"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Phoenix, Arizona
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Scream
Macintosh
The players were 10/15 (66.67%) with a 1-2-3-3-1 success pattern.

The players were correct on each of the extra clues and I tried to pick three that should allow everyone with 5/5 on FJ clues to get the 8-smiley week.

NOVELS BY CHAPTER TITLE $600: "Hester and Pearl"

WORLD GEOGRAPHY $800: The Luzon strait separates Taiwan from this country to the south

GOIN' SOLO $600: ...From Fleetwood Mac with "Stand Back"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
The Scarlet Letter
Philippines
Stevie Nicks
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Tue May 01, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 10/24/11 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mr. bungle: yes

jpahk: yes
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Mr. Bungle: yes
jpahk: no

On Friday's FJ, I got to "raincoat guy whose name begins with Mac," but couldn't come up with the "kintosh" (my guess was MacGuffin).

For the rest, on what I regarded as a neg-baity Fleetwood Mac clue, on a 50-50-90, I chose Christine McVie over Stevie Nicks (and couldn't it also have been Lindsey Buckingham?)
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:) :mrgreen: :?

NOt sure if I got the Scarlet Letter or not (don't save day to day scores), but I think I did.

The "Going Solo" I do remember was a complete trainwreck, I'd be surprised if I got one of them ...

I did think of mr. bungle, but I never made the connection between his and jpahk's styles until now. Someone call TPTB, having a contestant on twice is disallowed under the Jeff Kirby Law ... ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(

bungle: yes
style: no

Had absolutely zero chance of getting Wed-Fri. It never occurred to me that Joon might be copying Ryan's style.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Spoiled on the Mr. ToBotch question, and completely missed the style similarities, but I'm still calling it a perfecto!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I knew Austin was the most populous U.S. city beginning with A, so I just crossed my fingers and went with that. Phoenix did cross my mind after time was up. And my wheels just spun in place on Fitzgerald, and I couldn't come up with anything at all. If I had tried to frame his career based on the death date, I might have had a chance, but I just kept thinking about 1896-1940. Scream and 200 were insta, and I had to think a little about the inventor; luckily I've envisioned a Scottish inventors category and just had to brainstorm eponyms.
billiej

Post by billiej »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :evil: :mrgreen:
:D :(

Didn't connect the dots on Fitzgerald, too slow on the Philippines.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?:

I guess I didn't realize I was 4/5 this week.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :(

I swept Goin' Solo.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"And the banker never wears a mac in the pouring rain" -- very strange, indeed.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Went with Lindsey Buckingham instead of Stevie Nicks. Never really liked her voice; yeah - that's my lame excuse.

(Oh, and when I was young [or, should I say, younger], I thought Lindsey Buckingham was the girl and Stevie Nicks was the guy [on the cover of the Rumours album]. Took me years to straighten that one out :oops: )

~ Julie
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

thejeopardyfan wrote:I swept Goin' Solo.
I should have. My "answer immediately without questioning myself" strategy worked for the four clues I employed it, but I let the extra stuff in the *NSync clue confuse me. It didn't help that the song title didn't ring a bell, and Justin isn't the only member to make a solo effort (though he is the most successful).
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :evil:

mrbungle? :mrgreen:

joon: hadn't noticed that... :!:

Well, at least I got all the bonus questions. and I had the Mac part of Friday's... just couldn't get past 'Macadam', even though I knew he was roads...
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

mam418 wrote::( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :evil:

Well, at least I got all the bonus questions. and I had the Mac part of Friday's... just couldn't get past 'Macadam', even though I knew he was roads...
Macadam? I thought he was nuts!?
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

not trying to crib anybody's style... i've been all-lowercase for years. in fact, some of the crossword people who watched me on jeopardy were suspicious that i was an impostor because i capitalized normally in my name and my FJ responses. (i use lowercase when typing because it saves time and effort; the same is not true of handwriting.)

macintosh prevented me from running the table this week. couldn't come up with him, and it was a bit of a head-slap moment when helaine's response was revealed.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Over on the TWOP Jeopardy Forum, someone mentioned that they thought of the Scary Movie series as a response for the Scream FJ. I'm wondering what would have happened if someone on the show had given that as a response. I believe that they use the exact same mask as the Scream movies, or at least a very similar one. If the Scream mask was partly inspired by the painting, and the Scary Movie mask was inspired by the Scream mask, then by the transitive property was the Scary Movie mask also inspired by the painting? I think they would have to give credit for it, perhaps reluctantly, but I wonder if they were prepared for the possibility. What does anyone else think?
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

jeff6286 wrote:
mam418 wrote::( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :evil:

Macadam? I thought he was nuts!?
Hee! Well, I don't know about his sanity... just the roads. :lol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macadam (Though apparently I mis-capitalized... his name was MacAdam.)

(And hey, I just learned something knew - there's another John Macadam (with that spelling/capilization), but Australian, that the nuts are named after. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Macadam Cool!)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jpahk wrote:not trying to crib anybody's style... i've been all-lowercase for years. in fact, some of the crossword people who watched me on jeopardy were suspicious that i was an impostor because i capitalized normally in my name and my FJ responses. (i use lowercase when typing because it saves time and effort; the same is not true of handwriting.)
Whereas the reverse is true of me - since Grade 12, my writing has been in smallcaps, although, if I'm not taking the time and effort to write neatly (which is 95% of the time), it just comes out as all caps (especially if I'm just jotting down notes, even I don't know if I wrote the note in all lower case or all upper case). My typing, however, has been studiously in mixed case (I get a little lazy on my iPhone, as it fixes capitalization on words like "I"), my supervisor was actually impressed when he saw me sending out some emails on the copier/fax/scanner and meticulously using the Shift key on the machine (more like a Caps Lock key, so even more effort involved) to make my subject lines appear in mixed case and orderly; from what he's said and from what I can tell, most people don't bother and just type everything in lower case if they're sending an email from the fax/copier/scanner.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

jeff6286 wrote:Macadam? I thought he was nuts!?
only in Iowa