The 2012 online test for adults

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

The 2012 online test for adults

Post by hbomb1947 »

has been announced. Registration is now open.

https://secure.sonypictures.com/tv/show ... s308=email

The test will be given Jan. 17-19.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The 2012 online test for adults

Post by earendel »

hbomb1947 wrote:has been announced. Registration is now open.

https://secure.sonypictures.com/tv/show ... s308=email

The test will be given Jan. 17-19.
Darn it, Harv, you beat me to it.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Definitely not taking it this year. Unless they add more, the closest place is 800 miles away. Wait ... I missed New Orleans, so it's only 600 ... yay.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Aaargh! They're coming to Dallas this year! And I'm still in the pool... I'm sure next time the nearest one will be KC or some such distant place again...
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:Definitely not taking it this year. Unless they add more, the closest place is 800 miles away. Wait ... I missed New Orleans, so it's only 600 ... yay.
How you think *I* feel, there's never anything anywhere near me - first year I took the test, Minneapolis was an option, that's an 8 hour drive away. Lately, the closest is Chicago, a two day's drive.

However, this is also the only way to get on the show, it's not like they'll look at my board posts and send me an invite, so I'm registered!

I hope you reconsider, econgator, and if I get an audition invite, think of me traveling nearly 900 miles to get a chance to be on my favourite game show (and of course you, I, and a lot of other people have to travel a lot further than what we did to audition if The Call comes, keep that in mind.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:(and of course you, I, and a lot of other people have to travel a lot further than what we did to audition if The Call comes, keep that in mind.)
True, but they'd be paying me to do that. I will register, but I'm not holding my breath that the test date will coincide with a time I could actually go.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:(and of course you, I, and a lot of other people have to travel a lot further than what we did to audition if The Call comes, keep that in mind.)
True, but they'd be paying me to do that. I will register, but I'm not holding my breath that the test date will coincide with a time I could actually go.
I don't believe they pay your travel expenses to Culver City anymore, that what the $1000 and $2000 consolation prizes are for. However I don't think even that would begin to cover my expenses (especially if I take the family), so if I get The Call you bet I have incentive to "play to win"!

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

I just registered for the test and indicated Chicago as my preferred audition location. It's only a 3-hour drive from Indy. Maybe I'll see you there, Dave!
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

This will be my first time taking the online test, so figurably, I'm a bit nervous registering. I took a look around the FAQ and Tutorials for a while to see what is expected. (I also tried the sample test, wish it was more than 3 questions though).

If I get called to an audition, I'm a 45 minute train ride to NYC.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
alamble

Post by alamble »

dhkendall wrote:
econgator wrote:
I don't believe they pay your travel expenses to Culver City anymore, that what the $1000 and $2000 consolation prizes are for. However I don't think even that would begin to cover my expenses (especially if I take the family), so if I get The Call you bet I have incentive to "play to win"!
They reimburse if you last long enough to have to leave LA and come back for a second week of tapings.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Wow. Only 8 hours and 45 minutes to Cleveland. Yay. :shock:
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

dhkendall wrote: I don't believe they pay your travel expenses to Culver City anymore, that what the $1000 and $2000 consolation prizes are for. However I don't think even that would begin to cover my expenses (especially if I take the family), so if I get The Call you bet I have incentive to "play to win"!
DId they ever pay travel expenses for auditions/initial appearances, except for maybe during Kids/Teen/College tourneys? Most shows don't do that. Dawson Feud and possibly Ray COmbs era Feud paid travel expenses, and the first four years of US WWTBAM plus the primetime Millionaire runs since 2003 did, but most shows don't pay travel expenses.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think they should at least spring for your hotel room. Maybe work a deal with a hotel for an on air plug in exchange for free rooms.

"Contsestants appearing on Jeopardy! stay at the Culver City Motel 6. Motel 6, whre they'll leave the light on for you."
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

sure it's not, ""Where they'll cue the ring-in light for you?"
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

debramc wrote:Aaargh! They're coming to Dallas this year! And I'm still in the pool... I'm sure next time the nearest one will be KC or some such distant place again...
They are coming to Dallas the year I finally live here! And I've been out of the pool for over a year. Think it's time for another go at it! :D
alamble

Post by alamble »

Bamaman wrote:I think they should at least spring for your hotel room. Maybe work a deal with a hotel for an on air plug in exchange for free rooms.

"Contsestants appearing on Jeopardy! stay at the Culver City Motel 6. Motel 6, whre they'll leave the light on for you."
They already have a deal in place with I think the Hilton in Culver City, which offers discount rates to contestants.
iowabelle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by iowabelle »

I signed up for Chicago again, but I might be moving... in which case New Orleans would be the closest place to audition. I haven't been there since 1973. But I could look up a college classmate.
MaureenK

Post by MaureenK »

So aggravating! I auditioned in San Francisco last November 4 (and what a dismal performance THAT was). They said we had to wait 18 months from the time we auditioned, so anytime after May 2012, I'm good! January 2010 - January 2013 = 3 years. I'm gonna need a seniors tournament. ;)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

legendneverdies wrote:
dhkendall wrote: I don't believe they pay your travel expenses to Culver City anymore, that what the $1000 and $2000 consolation prizes are for. However I don't think even that would begin to cover my expenses (especially if I take the family), so if I get The Call you bet I have incentive to "play to win"!
DId they ever pay travel expenses for auditions/initial appearances, except for maybe during Kids/Teen/College tourneys? Most shows don't do that. Dawson Feud and possibly Ray COmbs era Feud paid travel expenses, and the first four years of US WWTBAM plus the primetime Millionaire runs since 2003 did, but most shows don't pay travel expenses.
From what I hear, in the first dozen or so seasons (I don't know the exact number, those of you who do (you know who you are!) substitute the correct number) they reimbursed travel expenses to Culver City (but never to the audition, as such a small number of auditioners get The Call anyways) and in return second and third place got "fabulous prizes" (like toaster ovens, trips, exercise machines, etc). When prizes were replaced with cash ($2000 and $1000), travel reimbursements (for everyone) were cut as well, the money being meant to be your travel reimbursement (which is, I suppose, sufficient for most contestants who live in most of the lower 48).

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

alamble wrote:They already have a deal in place with I think the Hilton in Culver City, which offers discount rates to contestants.
"DoubleTree by Hilton," specifically -- I hope the contestant rate is eligible for HHonors points!

(Couldn't take the 2011 test since I'd had an in-person audition at that very hotel during 2010. So I'm looking forward to this 2012 test -- yet another shot at it.)