Wednesday, November 2, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6238, 2011-11-02

2011 Tournament of Champions quarterfinal game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Charles Temple, a high school English teacher from Ocracoke, North Carolina
Jay Rhee, an oncologist from Annapolis, Maryland
Tom Nissley, a writer from Seattle, Washington

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our Tournament of Champions. This is always a very exciting time for me, because it's the only tournament in which we get to revisit with some players who were very impressive in their first appearances on our program. Format, the same as always--five quarterfinal matches followed by three semifinals, and then the 2-game final with a $250,000 payoff at the end. So, Charles, Jay, and Tom, good to see you again. Good luck. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round... and these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE RECONSTRUCTION ERA (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PAY BALL! (5/5)
RANKS & TITLES (5/5)
LITTLE PEOPLE IN LIT (5/5)
AIRPORT CODES (4/5)
YOU'RE A "CHAMP"! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tom: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Jay: 10 R (including 3 rebounds), 2 W
Charles: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Tom: $3,600
Jay: $2,000
Charles: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Charles Temple was the winner of our Teachers Tournament this past season. Winner of $100,000. And I understand it was pretty exciting--for the last night of the tournament, you got to watch it where?

Charles: Well, at a restaurant that a friend of mine owns. It, uh, it filmed right during prom, so--or it aired during prom, so we packed the entire high school, uh, along with their dates onto one school bus, uh, drove them up to the restaurant where they had some tables waiting. Uh, we watched the episode, and then they went back and danced.

Alex: Okay, you said you packed them all onto one bus? Small school there for you.

Charles: Small school.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Let's go to Jay Rhee, who is an oncologist from Annapolis. Uh, he won five times on our program and said he was going to use the money for two things, which were?

Jay: A sump pump...

[Laughter]

Alex: And...

Jay: ...and a Chanel bag.

Alex: And did you get them?

Jay: We have a sump pump.

[Laughter]

Alex: A sump pump--let me figure--runs about $285. A Chanel bag runs close to $4,000. Am I correct?

Jay: If you can find one at a discount.

[Laughter]

Alex: But you do have the sump pump. All right.

Alex: Let's go to Tom now. Tom was our most successful player this past season. He's an 8-time winner. Picked up $235,000. And with that, you helped your wife's handbag business? Maybe you can get a handbag for Jay, if not a Chanel.

Tom: Oh, a lot less than $4,000.

Alex: Yeah. Now tell me about the business.

Tom: Uh, well, when we--I mentioned it when I was on before. She makes sparkly vinyl handbags. And, uh, last fall she was in a couple stores and she was sewing them in our--in our basement, and now she's in 40 stores, and they found a little factory in Seattle to make them, so it's been exciting.

Alex: Terrific. So being a champ on Jeopardy! can change your life.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tom found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Tom had $4,400, Jay had $1,400, and Charles was at $1,800. Tom wagered $3,000.

THE RECONSTRUCTION ERA $1000: Charles Sumner & Thaddeus Stevens were leaders of this "extreme" Republican group

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AIRPORT CODES $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew sits in a Qantas flight simulator in Australia.) The Qantas A380 flight simulator has a training visual database of over 130 airports, naturally including Australia's busiest one, which goes by this 3-letter code

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Tom: $8,000
Jay: $4,800
Charles: $2,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 2, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MEN OF SCIENCE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TV WHO AM I (3/5) (Alex: You have to identify the character.)
BAD HEIR DAY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THEIR ROMAN EQUIVALENTS (5/5)
NOT OF GOOD CHARACTER (4/5)
2011 NATIONAL SPELLING BEE WORDS (3/5) (Alex: But you do not have to spell the correct response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tom: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Jay: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 4 W
Charles: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 5 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jay snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Tom had $10,800, Jay had $4,800, and Charles was at $1,600. Jay wagered $2,000.

MEN OF SCIENCE $1200: An institute of physical sciences at the University of Copenhagen is named for this physicist

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jay who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 11th clue. Tom had $9,200, Jay had $6,800, and Charles had nothing in the bank. Jay wagered $2,000.

BAD HEIR DAY $1600: June 28, 1914 was the last day for this heir to a European throne

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV WHO AM I $1600: Mustachioed director of the Pawnee Parks & Recreation Department
(Alex: And that would be [*] on Parks and Recreation, that series.)

MEN OF SCIENCE $1600: In the 1700s this Italian discovered that electricity could make a dead frog's muscles contract
(Charles: Who is Volta?)

2011 NATIONAL SPELLING BEE WORDS $1600: Early in Round 3 was this Spanish word for cowboy
(Tom: What is gaucho?)
(Charles: What is caballero?)

NOT OF GOOD CHARACTER $1600: Originally one who renounced his faith, it's now one who "re"bels & becomes an outlaw
(Jay: What is a recanter?)

TV WHO AM I $2000: Original series:
Male Viper pilot.
Series reboot:
Female Viper pilot with the same name
(Alex: And the name is [*]; Battlestar Galactica.)

2011 NATIONAL SPELLING BEE WORDS $1200: From its etymology you can figure out that "sangsue", from Round 15, is a name for this worm
(Jay: What is a bloodworm?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Tom: $16,400
Jay: $12,000
Charles: $400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CITIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Tom: Wager $7,601 to cover Jay, but no more than $15,599 so as not to fall behind Charles's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $6,801.
Jay: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,200 (martian), and you'll win the game if Tom wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Charles: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A member of the Hanseatic League, this city with a 4-letter name was once known as the "Paris of the Baltic"

FINAL SCORES
Charles: $400 - $115 = $285 (What is Oslo?) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Jay: $12,000 + $4,401 = $16,401 (What is Riga?) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Tom: $16,400 + $3 = $16,403 (What is Riga?) (Automatic semifinalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Tom: $14,400, 19 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Jay: $10,800, 19 R (including 2 DDs), 6 W
Charles: $400, 15 R, 8 W
Combined Coryat: $25,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Tom: 20/59 = .339
Jay: 20/60 = .333
Charles: 15/58 = .259
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
YOU'RE A "CHAMP"! $800: 4 old buddies relive glory days of high school hoops in this play
(Jay: What is This Championship Season?)

LITTLE PEOPLE IN LIT $200: Part I of a 1726 book is "A Voyage to" this place, home to human creatures "not six inches high"
(Tom: What is Lilliputia?)

LITTLE PEOPLE IN LIT $400: These factory workers in a 1964 book love cacao beans
(Tom: What is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?)

THE RECONSTRUCTION ERA $800: In 1868 this Amendment gave African Americans full citizenship
(Jay: What is the... 15th?)
(Charles: What is the 13th?)

RANKS & TITLES $800: In "The Mikado" this grand fellow was the "Lord High Everything Else"
(Charles: What is the Executioner?)

AIRPORT CODES $800: From the initials of the man it's named for, the larger of Paris' 2 airports has this 3-letter code
(Charles: What is DGL?)

THEIR ROMAN EQUIVALENTS $400: Zeus
(Jay: Who is Juno?)

THEIR ROMAN EQUIVALENTS $2000: Cronus
(Charles: Who is... uh... Uranus?)

2011 NATIONAL SPELLING BEE WORDS $2000: Round 8 served up this 10-letter Japanese word for meat & vegetables cooked tableside on a griddle
(Charles: What is hibachi?)

2011 NATIONAL SPELLING BEE WORDS $800: A young man lost after placing an "h" in the middle of this Italian bacon
(Charles: What is prosciutto?)
(Jay: What is porchetta?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Radical Republicans
SYD
(Niels) Bohr
Archduke (Franz) Ferdinand
Ron
Luigi Galvani
vaquero
renegade
Starbuck
leech
Riga
That Championship Season
Lilliput
Oompa Loompas
the 14th
the Pooh-bah
CDG
Jupiter
Saturn
teppanyaki
pancetta
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Wednesday, November 2, 2011 TOC Game Recap & Disc(SPOILE

Post by jpahk »

i am super pumped-up to watch this game! i didn't get to see today's and thursday's because i was in the green room playing uno and watching the dark knight with corina and the other sequesterees.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jpahk wrote:i am super pumped-up to watch this game! i didn't get to see today's and thursday's because i was in the green room playing uno and watching the dark knight with corina and the other sequesterees.
Ok, so no Batman clues today or tomorrow. Good to know. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

Instaget FJ, helped by a clue that gave us way too many hints.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:Instaget FJ, helped by a clue that gave us way too many hints.
None of which helped me. :) I went with Oslo.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I didn't find this game all that exciting. However, I thought Tom made a very shrewd FJ wager. FJ was an instaget for me.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS - DAY 1
=================================
Tom Nissley / Jay Rhee / Charles Temple
-------------------------------------------------
The Jeopardy Round was impressive with Tom heading right off into a swing of things. However, Jay and Charles finally started responding. The Jeopardy round was some help to Charles, but you could tell he was disadvantaged after a few categories. He began to show his colors in the Double Jeopardy round, getting all the way up to $5,200 but then blowing all of it on wrong answers. Jay was nervous tellably, searching for those Daily Doubles in the $1600 of the Double Jeopardy round. Great wagering strategy in Final Jeopardy, with Jay 1-upping Tom and Tom 2 upping-him. I'd say Jay, with $16,401 has likely guaranteed himself a Wild Card spot, but with this field, we'll see.

Tom was on fire to start, albeit there were some mistakes that put him in jeopardy of losing his lead. (No pun intended). The people however who said he'd maintain his lead most of the game got it right though. Charles however, after losing $4,800 of the $5,200, really just met a double buzzsaw since Jay and Tom were getting some of the better clues. Charles had arguably a horrible episode, but to see him smile about it is a good sign. His Final wager was humorous since obviously he wasn't trying for any strategies. Overall a good match between Jay and Tom, with Charles just dragging the chains quite a bit during the game. I was wondering when he got down to $400 would he be at Final at all, which is one eye to his struggling.

Congrats to Tom on the semi-final spot, and likely the first wildcard to Jay, since $16,401 rarely fails. Double Jeopardy was clearly the harder round since the flow seemed pretty disrupted. Also, what happened on the Carrie Bradshaw clue? That seemed liked a rush call.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

xxaaaxx wrote:Instaget FJ, helped by a clue that gave us way too many hints.
I agree, and yet I missed it. I thought of Oslo as well, and as soon as I did, it was like a switch flipped in my brain that prevented me from further consideration.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Also, what happened on the Carrie Bradshaw clue? That seemed liked a rush call.
I'm guessing that as Alex had just got done giving a first name only for the Parks clue, they really had no choice but to accept just Carrie.
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

Evidently no one tonight was a fan of sf : the Starbuck clue was obvious (and I never even watched the BSG reboot)...

Got Fj ;-)
I "guessed" Riga, but I was pretty sure Oslo wouldn't be a member of the Hanseatic League.
alamble

Post by alamble »

With all due respect to Jay, I really, really HATE DD-hunting, and I hate it even more in the ToC. Made for an incredibly disjointed DJ! round.

Also, how is Sydney a triple stumper in Airport Codes? Not even a guess at the first three letters of Australia's largest city? C'mon.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

For those who did not watch:

Tom: $16,400+$3=$16,403
Jay: $12,000+$4,401=$16,401
Charles: $400-$115=$285

Clue: A member of the Hanseatic league, this world capital with four letters in its name was once known as the "Paris of the Baltic Sea."
Spoiler
Correct Response: What is Riga? Charles said Oslo
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Poor Charles... looks like the first TOCer from my state in a while (first ever, maybe? I kind of doubt it, though) will be a one-and-done. :(
cshort
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by cshort »

As a Jeopardy person I know exactly two things about Latvia: (1) It's on the Baltic, and (2) Its capital is Riga. Oslo would never have occurred to me.

That aside, what an exciting game! I daresay it was better than The Dark Knight... at least in that I've already seen The Dark Knight. :)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a pretty good game. Jay and Charles looked like they were going to neg themselves into the red at the beginning. Jay was able to recover, Charles wasn't. I will admit that there were some neg-baity clue on the board. I felt the fellas' pain in having to think about those gods and goddeses for a few seconds.

FJ was an instant get. I thought it was pretty easy clue for a ToC game. I also thought that the DDs were all easy, but on the whole the board was tough and good for a ToC.

Tom's good composure really helped him win this game. I loved the Kevin Marshall-esque FJ wager, too!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

laubla999 wrote:I "guessed" Riga, but I was pretty sure Oslo wouldn't be a member of the Hanseatic League.
I wasn't sure, but I figured that they would have to go up and around Denmark anyway, so why not.
MFalk
KJL #152

Post by MFalk »

-- Loved Tom's Kevin Marshall wager as much as I loved the original. (Sorry Aaron!)
-- Loved the fact that Charles finished with $285. At least he can get a sump pump!
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

econgator wrote:
laubla999 wrote:I "guessed" Riga, but I was pretty sure Oslo wouldn't be a member of the Hanseatic League.
I wasn't sure, but I figured that they would have to go up and around Denmark anyway, so why not.
I always associated the League more with the German states.

Having just verified my facts, I guess I was just lucky : Sweden was a member, Norway was not (except for Bergen, but it wasn't a full-fledged member).

The things one can pick up just by reading SF!
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

"We have met the quarter final wagerists, and they are them." Definitely NOT the wagers they'd've made in regular play, but highly appropriate for quarter-final TOC. Play the odds!

Major writers fail on the whole "champing at the bit" clue.

IN THIS IDIOM
THAT REFERS TO AN
IMPATIENT HORSE,
MANY PEOPLE
SUBSTITUTE "CHOMP"

Spoken, it is "chomping," spelled "champing." Tom's pronunciation was actually wrong- but he had no choice, because the question eliminated the correct pronunciation.

Oh! Jay got the "backstabber" clue. Musically kind of cool.

Today was the ultimate proof that fictional characters don't need the last name to be correct, I guess?