The Rankest Thread Imaginable

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Rankest Thread Imaginable

Post by John Boy »

slam wrote:How about "Auditioning since 1985"? That was the first of my many attempts to get onto the show. Actually failed that test, but have since passed many times in a row without a trip to a podium.

Wow. That's even longer than I've been trying (I passed my first audition in 1988).

How many times do you think you've actually passed the quiz?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

John Boy wrote:
slam wrote:How about "Auditioning since 1985"? That was the first of my many attempts to get onto the show. Actually failed that test, but have since passed many times in a row without a trip to a podium.

Wow. That's even longer than I've been trying (I passed my first audition in 1988).
Ok, so 26 years for slam, 23 for you. I'm guessing that you two are the longest-suffering of us. I've "only" been trying for 18 years now. Who else is up there in that area? Hbomb maybe?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

econgator wrote: Ok, so 26 years for slam, 23 for you. I'm guessing that you two are the longest-suffering of us. I've "only" been trying for 18 years now. Who else is up there in that area? Hbomb maybe?
Hmmm... not auditions that old, but sent in a College Tournament postcard in 1989. Two in-person auditions (1998 and 2008). My wife had two where they didn't call me (2005 and 2011).
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

econgator wrote:
John Boy wrote:

Ok, so 26 years for slam, 23 for you. I'm guessing that you two are the longest-suffering of us. I've "only" been trying for 18 years now. Who else is up there in that area? Hbomb maybe?
Not close, at least not chronologically. My stints in the contestant pool have been much more compressed. I first tried out in January 2001 (before the online test era, of course), but non-passed the test at that audition so did not qualify to stay for the interview / mock game. The first time I actually entered the contestant pool was June 2004. Yet I am now in the "active file" (as Maggie refers to it) for the fifth time.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Serge
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Serge »

Jeopardy Champion here! (airdates: Sept. 28-29, 2011)
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

My first try was in 1983 or 1984 in Hollywood. Passed the test, passed the cut after the first mock games, was one of only six who went into the pool. No call.

Didn't try again for many years. Choked the on-line test in 2006 or 7 (oh, my god; I know this; oh, my god; I know this), passed test in 2008--geez, or was it 2009?-- and auditioned in Portland, scored 46 on the test this year but got no audition (what's up with that?).

So for sheer length of term of attempt, I'm up there. For determination, not so much.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

alietr wrote:Maybe not that bad. As people may have noticed, the Board software can automatically assign you a 'Rank' according to the number of times you've posted. In the alternative, like RandyG, I can assign a specific Rank to people. I am going to propose that the following can be used: Jeopardy TOC'er (for those esteemed folks among us), Jeopardy Champion (for those lucky enough to have won a game), Jeopardy Contestant (those who appeared on the show but didn't win), Swimmer in the Pool (for those who have current high hopes), and About to Be Jeopardy Champion (for the rest of us). If you would like to have one of these assigned to you, or even a custom one like 'Village Idiot', please post here and I'll get around to changing you. And sorry, but JBoarder of the Month is currently unavailable. Hopefully you'll like this idea.
Just to be contrary, I'd like to be "(Unranked)".
OCSam
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I'd like to be ranked, but I am not sure what would be appropriate. Maybe just 'rank'

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I see your avatar, Brian, and raise you.

WooWho?
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by WooWho? »

If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to be ranked as a Jeopardy Contestant. (Airdate Sept. 26, 2003)
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Well, since so many people are taking custom titles, I'm not sure I like the idea of mine anymore. Feels a little presumptuous. I'd prefer a "Maybe someday.." or something to that effect, if you rework the category.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

omgwheelhouse wrote:Well, since so many people are taking custom titles, I'm not sure I like the idea of mine anymore. Feels a little presumptuous. I'd prefer a "Maybe someday.." or something to that effect, if you rework the category.
Did your dog get that one right? Awesome profile pic.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
dmleach
Damn Jeopardy! Hooligan

Post by dmleach »

While at my taping I was part of a small cadre of contestants that tried to browbeat our chaperone at the time, Robert, into taking us next door and letting us spin the Wheel of Fortune. Unsurprisingly he declined, saying that the last thing he needed was a note from the crew saying "Those damn Jeopardy hooligans came in here and busted our set!" We even volunteered the current champ's winnings to repair any damages to no avail.

I'd be delighted if you'd set my rank to Damn "Jeopardy!" Hooligan :lol:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Perhaps the Archivists' account should have a special rank, too. I wouldn't be the one to approve that, of course, but maybe "Jeopardy! Know It Alls" or something like that? ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The Archivists must rank themselves.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Make mine "Jeopardy! Champion," please. Thanks, alietr.

and "Damn Jeopardy! Hooligan" is my favorite.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I'll take "This is not me."
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Picked Off wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote:Well, since so many people are taking custom titles, I'm not sure I like the idea of mine anymore. Feels a little presumptuous. I'd prefer a "Maybe someday.." or something to that effect, if you rework the category.
Did your dog get that one right? Awesome profile pic.
Thanks, I know, right? Nah, ironically "Rhodesian ridgeback" was a "sit-and-stare" for her.
ej!fan
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by ej!fan »

I'm currently out of the pool, but I hope to be in again after next year's contestant tests.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

"I was in the pool! I was in the pool!" - George Costanza