Friday, November 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6240, 2011-11-04

2011 Tournament of Champions quarterfinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Joon Pahk, a college physics teacher from Somerville, Massachusetts
Tom Kunzen, a geotechnical engineer from Orlando, Florida
John Krizel, a writer originally from Oceanside, New York

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. I believe I said something about this a week or so ago, but the 15 contestants who are taking part in this year's Tournament of Champions are arguably the brightest as a group that we've ever had, having earned close to $2 million already on our program. So John, Tom, and Joon would like to add to their previous winnings. Let's see, uh, whom the gods will favor today. Good luck. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round is first. It has one Daily Double and these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LITERARY TITLE OCCUPATIONS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
REAL PEOPLE ON FILM (5/5)
THAT'S THE CHICAGO WAY! (4/5)
BIBLICAL RELATIONS (5/5)
WEBSITES (4/5)
RHYME-BOT (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will rhyme with "bot".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joon: 13 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
John: 7 R, 3 W
Tom: 6 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joon found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. John had no money, Tom had $200, and Joon was at $600. Joon wagered $1,000.

LITERARY TITLE OCCUPATIONS $600: It's the occupation mentioned in a 1916 James Joyce book title
(Alex: Portrait of the [*] as a Young Man[/i], yes.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Joon: $4,600
Tom: $0
John: -$400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Joon Pahk is a college physics teacher, a 7-time Jeopardy! winner who has picked up $199,000 and who has made an important decision about what he's going to do with all the monies--what?

Joon: Yeah, my wife Caroline and I decided that we want to give about half this money to charities, um, some of it to our church and some of it to poverty and hunger relief efforts, but--and also a big chunk to disaster relief, because it's been--it's been a pretty crazy few years for earthquakes and hurricanes, and, you know, there are people who will need this money more than we will.

Alex: Well, good for you. I applaud you...

[Applause]

Alex: ...and so do they, obviously.

Alex: Tom Kunzen is from Orlando, Florida. Took a trip to New York City after your win, and that was your first visit to the big city?

Tom: Yes, that's correct. I'd never been there before. Uh, my girlfriend Heather and I went up there to New York City for three days, uh, before heading to a wedding upstate. We did the usual tourist stuff, went to, uh, Rockefeller Center, Times Square, enjoyed it very much.

Alex: What impressed you the most?

Tom: My favorite part was seeing the gravesite of my hero, Alexander Hamilton, at the Trinity Church.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Now we go to John Krizel, originally from Oceanside, New York. Now a lot of positives come out of being a Jeopardy! champion, but to counter that, you have done something most unusual--what?

John: I guess you could say it that way. I started writing a blog in which I watch, uh, and write about sad movies... only sad movies.

[Laughter]

Alex: Only sad movies.

John: Like, you know, The Notebook, Beaches, Hotel Rwanda, that kind of thing.

Alex: Tearjerkers. Do you get a lot of hits?

John: Um, I will now.

[Laughter and applause]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LITERARY TITLE OCCUPATIONS $1000: Conjuring up images of 19th century Poland, Isaac Bashevis Singer wrote of this title guy "of Lublin"
(Tom: What is Rabbi?)

RHYME-BOT $1000: The yellow-bellied type of this critter is sunbathing here
(John: What is an ocelot?)

WEBSITES $600: "Where you book matters", according to this travel website

THAT'S THE CHICAGO WAY! $1000: On Feb. 14, 1929 it was that's all folks for 7 members of this Chicago mobster's gang
(John: Who is Bugsy Siegel?)
(Joon: Who's Bugsy Malone?)
(Tom: Who is Al Capone?)
(Alex: No. Who is [*]? Bugsy Malone was the movie and Bugsy Siegel was further south--much further south.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Joon: $6,800
John: $1,600
Tom: $600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, November 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MAPMAKER, MAPMAKER (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MTV VIDEO OF THE YEAR ARTISTS (4/5)
BALLET (2/5)
CALCULATING THE MEASUREMENTS (5/5)
CANADIAN HISTORY (4/5)
GIMME AN "H" (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joon: 13 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Tom: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W (including 1 DD)
John: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tom snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. John had $1,600, Tom had $1,000, and Joon was at $6,800. Tom wagered $2,000.

MAPMAKER, MAPMAKER $800: However you draw the border between Nicaragua & this 2-named country, somebody gets mad, huh?
(Tom: What is El Salvador?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Joon who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 11th clue. John had $2,400, Tom was in the red with -$200, and Joon was at $11,200. Joon wagered $4,000.

GIMME AN "H" $2000: Anglers & crafters, not just surgeons, use this instrument, whose name means "blood stop"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BALLET $1200: Born Margaret Hookham in England, she made her professional debut in 1934 at the age of 15

MAPMAKER, MAPMAKER $1600: Mark all of these--really more than 1,500--including Wolfe on the Canadian side of the river & Wells on the U.S. side

BALLET $1600: Onstage this late Soviet defector often partnered Maya Plisetskaya; offstage, Jacqueline Bisset
(Joon: Who is Nijinsky?)
(John: Who is Baryshnikov?)

BALLET $2000: When "Le Pavillon d'Armide" premiered in 1907, Vaslav Nijinsky played the slave & she played Armide

MTV VIDEO OF THE YEAR ARTISTS $400: 1988:
"Need You Tonight/Meditate"

CANADIAN HISTORY $800: Between 1913 & 1932 Canada dug a new & deeper version of the Welland Canal that connects these 2 Great Lakes
(Tom: What is Huron and Erie?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Joon: $20,800 (lock game)
Tom: $4,200
John: $2,000

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: All a player has to do is win four times, or if that person is one of the, uh, wildcard, uh, players, win three times, in order to pick up a quarter of a million dollars for the championship. $100,000 will be presented to our second-place finisher and $50,000 to our third-place finisher. Right now we're dealing with Final Jeopardy! The category is NOTABLE GROUPS. Gentlemen, you've made your wagers. Here is the clue...

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOTABLE GROUPS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Joon: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $12,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Tom: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $199 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
John: You've no hope of catching up... unless Tom does something stupid. So risk $1,999.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Harpo Marx was among this group when it met in NYC's Rose Room for its final time, in 1943, & found there was nothing left to say

FINAL SCORES
John: $2,000 - $1,986 = $14 (What is I have no idea.) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Tom: $4,200 - $4,200 = $0 (What is "[rageface]") (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Joon: $20,800 + $10,000 = $30,800 (What is the Algonquin Round Table?) (Automatic semifinalist)
(Alex: [Revealing Tom's response] Oh, I can't even figure out what that... sign is... but you're wrong.)
[Tom later drew a web comic explaining his response.]

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Joon: $18,400, 26 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Tom: $6,200, 13 R, 7 W (including 1 DD)
John: $2,000, 10 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $26,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Joon: 27/60 = .450
Tom: 13/59 = .220
John: 10/58 = .172
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
RHYME-BOT $400: Should
(John: What is... yup.)
(Alex: Nope.)

THAT'S THE CHICAGO WAY! $400: He wrote that Chicago was proud to be a "player with railroads and freight handler to the nation"
(Tom: Who is Vanderbilt?)

MAPMAKER, MAPMAKER $1200: A study says it's the most misspelled city in the U.S., but you got it right, with the final "H"
(Tom: What is Savannah, Georgia?)

CALCULATING THE MEASUREMENTS $1200: Number of quarts in 2 gallons divided by the number of pints in 2 quarts
(Tom: What is 4?)

CANADIAN HISTORY $2000: The Dominion of Canada was formed in 1867; this transplanted Scot became the country's first prime minister
(Joon: Who's King?)

CANADIAN HISTORY $1200: On July 3, 1608 this Frenchman landed at what would become the City of Quebec
(John: Who is Cartier?)
(Alex: Cartier was 1500s, not 16.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Artist
Magician
a marmot
Expedia.com
Bugs Moran
Costa Rica
a hemostat
Margot Fonteyn
the Thousand Islands
Alexander Godunov
Anna Pavlova
INXS
Erie & Ontario
the Algonquin Round Table
ought
(Carl) Sandburg
Pittsburgh
2 (8 divided by 4)
(John A.) Macdonald
(Samuel de) Champlain
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Re: Friday, November 4, 2011 TOC Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS

Post by chuck5982 »

Go Joon!
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

John and Tom never seemed to get a good rhythm going, but Joon played as if he hadn't had any time off to get rusty... which, relative to the other two, I guess he hadn't! Nice job!

For FJ I had vague inklings of "Algonquin Table" and "Round Table" (solely due to a TD question from a while back), and never got around to putting them together in my head before going with the former... judges?
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

I was surprised by the relatively lopsided result of this game. I fully expected Joon Pahk to be a force, but I thought that Tom Kunzen would be right there with him the whole time, and that John Krizel wouldn't be far behind. On paper, I considered this to be the strongest quarterfinal; I really wouldn't have been surprised to see any of the three players win it.

Joon Pahk's winning score of $30,800 is the highest in a Tournament of Champions game since May 18, 2010, when Jason Zollinger edged Liz Murphy in the second semifinal to finish with $31,201.

Today's developments certainly strengthen Kara Spak's wildcard position. If three of the four remaining non-winners finish with less than $6,012, then she'll make it into the semifinals.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

KenJenningsFan74 wrote:Today's developments certainly strengthen Kara Spak's wildcard position. If three of the four remaining non-winners finish with less than $6,012, then she'll make it into the semifinals.
Who's ahead of her besides Jay?
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

Would "Algonquin Club" have been acceptable? Y'all gotta let me know, my life hangs in the balance. Thanx.
Last edited by LeFlaneur on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Le Flaneur
GeoPETom
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by GeoPETom »

Yeah, this was pretty disappointing, but I tried to have a little fun there in FJ once it became apparent that I had no idea of the answer, not even a WAG.

I'll follow up later tonight with more commentary.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

I thought this would be a clash of the titans...not so much. A great TOC group, and already two blowouts.

What was Alex talking about before FJ? 4 wins or 3 as a WC? QF + SF + come out ahead in the final = 3, unless I missed something? Even if I won the final, if I was 20k behind after day 1, I wouldn't really consider it 'winning 2 games'.

I know nothing about the Algonquin Round Table other than it was associated with NYC somehow, and that is the only reason this FJ was instaget, else I wouldn't have been close. 2 for 3 on FJs so far, but I haven't felt confident about any of the subjects. Next week is going to be brutal :/

Great game Joon! One down, two or three to go!
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS - DAY 3
=================================
John Krizel (S26) / Tom Kunzen (S27) / Joon Pahk (S28)
================================================

Besides the fact that I got FJ wrong, Tom and John had win FJ responses, that was fun having champs from all 3 seasons facing each other, all I can say is, ummmm....
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
UniquePerspective
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by UniquePerspective »

I'm very impressed by Joon, I had a feeling he would win, but not as dominantly as he did. Well done sir.

I never heard of the Algonquin Round Table, I tried to come up with something along the lines of the Silent Film Society of America or something like that. I assume I'd have been way off.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

FJ was instaget for me, was a bit surprised that two missed it until I remembered that I only knew about Harpo's connection to Algonquin because he was a briefly-shown character in "Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle."

I thought the game would be a bit less lopsided, but I admit I'm very glad Joon won. Tom and John are great, it just didn't happen for them in this game.

How excited was I to see a question about the huge blond bad guy from Die Hard? Got some weird stares for suddenly screaming, "GODUNOV!!!" at the t.v.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Joon on the win!

I have to be honest...I really thought that this board was, for the most part, garbage. I really did not care for the mapmaker, mapmaker category. And I thought that the $2000 clue in measurements was the easiest one in that category. The FJ category also seemed kind of vague...it was hard to know what kind of "group" the clue would be about. I would blame the board for the result of the game more than the contestants. TPTB, seriously, I am willing to quit my job and move to Los Angeles to be a writer for the show!

It looked like Joon might have known a little bit more of the material than John and Tom but it looked like it was mainly the buzzer that enabled him to build such a huge lead.

The FJ clue seemed like a good clue...but I had no idea on it.

I liked how Alex recognized that this may be the best ToC field ever. I think that he was mainly saying that because of all the money that they had won, and they all played under the doubled dollar amounts and the sky's the limit rule, but it was still cool.
Last edited by StevenH on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WRV
Always Lies

Post by WRV »

I knew of the Algonquin Round Table, but I couldn't remember what it was called until after it was revealed. If I got that FJ while I was a contestant, I would be kicking myself so hard. :twisted:

On the other hand, Tom's rage face response made me laugh. Someone ought to make a smiley out of that.
"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company." -Jean-Paul Sartre
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Got this FJ right on a "Could it be..?" guess, and as I try to recall the early part of the week, this may have saved me from clicking that dreaded box on the poll. I'll know more tomorrow. Don't feel like looking back.

Nice win, Joon! And boo to Tom (or was it John?) for not saying "I'd like to make it a Daily Triple!"

Did the first 6 players get to sit in the audience, or are they re-sequestered?
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

I had Algonquin Table, then was writing furiously with a carrot at the last moment to get Round in there.

Yucky board for me, including the dreaded Ballet category.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Great game for Joon, congrats! A frustrating one for Tom and John. John just never seem to get in a groove, and Tom's groove was late and peppered with desperate negs. Like others, I thought this would be a closely fought barnburner. It looked to me like Joon's timing was way better than his opponents, but that their depths of knowledge were closer than the score would indicate.

I found the boards switched - the J board was way harder than DJ. Canadian History and Calculating the Measurements as two of my "Claven categories" might have had something to do with it.

My proudest part of the night: precalling "Algonquin Round Table" based on the category of "Notable Groups". After having no clue the previous two nights, that felt good!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

It's "Mediate", Alex, not Meditate! :evil:
Watching three TOC players mangle Bugs Moran was painful to watch.

No chance at Algonquin, would've went for something like the Jewish Bund. :? :?
dirck_hals
Contributor

Post by dirck_hals »

Paucle wrote:Got this FJ right on a "Could it be..?" guess, and as I try to recall the early part of the week, this may have saved me from clicking that dreaded box on the poll. I'll know more tomorrow. Don't feel like looking back.

Nice win, Joon! And boo to Tom (or was it John?) for not saying "I'd like to make it a Daily Triple!"

Did the first 6 players get to sit in the audience, or are they re-sequestered?
The first 6 get to sit in the audience. I'd imagine that they would be kept incommunicado from the remaining players at the lunch break, though.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:Yucky board for me, including the dreaded Ballet category.
Ran that one- thanks to my sister Mary, a ballerina with the Pennsylvania Ballet for years.