FJs for the 10/31/11 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 10/31/11 week?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:54 pm

"In this sense, the theory of" this group "may be summed up in the single sentence: abolition of private property"
82%
This classic book begins, "The pretty little Swiss town of Mayenfeld lies at the foot of a mountain range"
89%
A member of the Hanseatic League, this city with a 4-letter name was once known as the "Paris of the Baltic"
67%
These 2 nations, one an island, have highest peaks with the same name; they also share a common European culture
14%
Harpo Marx was among this group when it met in NYC's Rose Room for its final time, in 1943, & found there was nothing left to say
61%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
6%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
1%
DYNASTY $1600: England's Henry VII & Edward VI
73%
THEIR ROMAN EQUIVALENTS $1200: Artemis
63%
19TH CENTURY PRESIDENTS $1200: The time of his administration was known as "the Era of Good Feelings"
30%

Total votes: 94

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 10/31/11 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

10/31 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY QUOTATIONS

10/31 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"In this sense, the theory of" this group "may be summed up in the single sentence: abolition of private property"

11/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHILDREN'S LIT

11/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This classic book begins, "The pretty little Swiss town of Mayenfeld lies at the foot of a mountain range"

11/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CITIES

11/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A member of the Hanseatic League, this city with a 4-letter name was once known as the "Paris of the Baltic"

11/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COUNTRIES' HIGHEST PEAKS

11/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 nations, one an island, have highest peaks with the same name; they also share a common European culture

11/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOTABLE GROUPS

11/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Harpo Marx was among this group when it met in NYC's Rose Room for its final time, in 1943, & found there was nothing left to say

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Communists
Heidi
Riga
Greece and Cyprus
Algonquin Round Table

The players were 7/15 (46.67%) with a 2-1-2-1-1 success pattern.

The players were correct on each of the extra clues.

DYNASTY $1600: England's Henry VII & Edward VI

THEIR ROMAN EQUIVALENTS $1200: Artemis

19TH CENTURY PRESIDENTS $1200: The time of his administration was known as "the Era of Good Feelings"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Tudor
Diana
James Monroe
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Tue May 01, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 10/31/11 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I took a pass on including the love triangle/threesome clue since I figured we had covered it enough.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Artemis / Diana I would've gotten after the fact, but it just went too rapid fire for me to collect my thoughts during the game.
Monroe I stayed quiet on; knew the general time, but not close enough to be confident. (I had my doubts on QAdams and I couldn't rule out Madison).
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: The players were 6/15 (40.00%) with a 2-1-2-1-0 success pattern.
Shouldn't that be 7/15 (46.67%) 2-1-2-1-1? Joon got Algonquin.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :evil: :?:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Thursday's was just nasty; had "Algonquin Table" on Friday (didn't count it on the poll). I feel I would have gotten Monroe given 30 seconds but didn't get it amidst the rapid-fire game play.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: The players were 6/15 (40.00%) with a 2-1-2-1-0 success pattern.
Shouldn't that be 7/15 (46.67%) 2-1-2-1-1? Joon got Algonquin.
Yes, thanks. It's fixed now. I have a cheat sheet set up for me in the archive to help with getting the poll up and with Friday's game not entered it leaves room for my kind of human error.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(
Had Kiel instead of Riga (my German geography is better than my German history), iceland & Norway, & nothing for Harpo. In retrospect I knew the Algonquin Round Table but just didn't get my brain there. Not sure if I ever knew the Era of Good Feelings...
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:roll: :mrgreen: :oops:

Forgot about Heidi gimmie- so, Friday's LSWAG didn't save my oh-fer.
For some reason my brain heard "Baltic" as "Balkan," and the first 4-letter major city I thought of in that vicinity was Baku. Wasn't sure if it was considered Balkan or not. Of course, it didn't matter.
Got only Diana in the extree, though Monroe was a head slap. Didn't pull the trigger on Tudor.
Last edited by Paucle on Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

:D :D :D :( :D
:D :( :(

Communists was a complete guess for me; I wasn't sure if the term was even around back then. Heidi and Riga were both instagets. I really should have gotten Thursday's but somehow Cyprus was the only European island nation I didn't think of. I got stuck thinking about mimes on Friday and decided to put Algonquin R.T. as a joke; I was completely shocked to hear that it was actually right! (That's the fifth time in the last 16 games that I wrote down a response that I thought was wrong only to learn otherwise.)

I'm not quite sure how I got Tudor. Ditto what Volante said re: the other two.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

Mon: Only trouble was choosing between Communists and Marxists. Chose wisely.
Tue: All I could think of was that Raiders/Jets game in 1968, and the worst-timed screen crawl in broadcast history.
Thu: "...common European culture" sent me to Australia/New Zealand, figured Mt. Cook was common enough (Kosciuszko less so), went back to Europe to pick a cohort and landed on another island (England). No chance at Greece/Cyprus; props to all who got 'em.
Fri: In my haste I scribbled Algonquian Round Table, muddling the tribe with the hotel, but for the poll I'm counting it. TPTB can neg me after putting me on the Show...
Paucle wrote:Got only Diana in the extree, though Monroe was a head slap. Didn't pull the trigger on Tudor.
What he said, minus the headslap. Didn't know that was Monroe, and too timid to try Tudor.
In and out of the pool four times
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:

Swiss Family Robinson for Heidi; I took too long to get to Riga so I'm not counting myself right on it; and no chance on the "highest peaks" FJ that cost Roger the single-game high score record for a TOC (I said Spain and Cuba). That one is a leading contender for toughest FJ of the quarter (and from where I sit, it's neck and neck with "United Nations" for that dubious honor).

For the rest, I should have gotten Monroe but I had a brain cramp and the contestant answered it before I could pull it.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(

I thought Monday and Tuesday were easy (though almost second guessed myself with Marxists on Monday), and the ToC FJ's... well... they're ToC level, for sure. Should have had Riga, but got stuck in Kiev. No chance on Thursday, and slapped head upon reveal Friday. Doh!
billiej

Post by billiej »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

For the season:
FJ: 24-11
Extras: 11-10
TOC: 2-1
Longest FJ winning streak: 8 (active 1)
Longest FJ losing streak: 3
5/5:1
4/5:2
3/5:3
2/5:1
1/5:0
0/5:0

Communists was an instaget. started in Kiev but then Baltic clicked in and got me to Riga. The Round Table group was an instaget.

Had Tuesday's FJ been a regular clue, I'd have gotten it. But I started with Heidi and after thinking about it, changed to the Swiss Family Robinson. The bit about sharing an European culture led me to explore the New world for two colonies and wound up in Cuba and Panama.

Tudors and Monroe were simple. I usually don't do well on the gods and who their counterparts are and this was no exception.
Last edited by Bamaman on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Occasionally I'll give myself an FJ where someone watching with me says the correct response while I'm still thinking. Monday's is one of those. (I do deny myself the benefit of the doubt when I think it's necessary.)

Wednesday's, I went to northern Europe and got stuck in Oslo. No excuse; I know the Baltic states and their capitals.
Thursday's, I came up with Cyprus/Greece within the last 10 seconds, and crediting myself with a get is another benefit of the doubt decision.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

:D :D :D :D :D
:D :D :(
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Someone please explain to me how on earth the Algonquin Round Table is polling 58% and Greece/Cyprus only 17%. :?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Algonquin Club instead of Round Table. Poop.
Le Flaneur
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

No idea on the countries, or Monroe.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Did not know of Cyprus's Olympus and went with Spain and Cuba. Got the others.
I'm smart and I want respect.