FJs for the 10/31/11 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 10/31/11 week?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:54 pm

"In this sense, the theory of" this group "may be summed up in the single sentence: abolition of private property"
82%
This classic book begins, "The pretty little Swiss town of Mayenfeld lies at the foot of a mountain range"
89%
A member of the Hanseatic League, this city with a 4-letter name was once known as the "Paris of the Baltic"
67%
These 2 nations, one an island, have highest peaks with the same name; they also share a common European culture
14%
Harpo Marx was among this group when it met in NYC's Rose Room for its final time, in 1943, & found there was nothing left to say
61%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
6%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
1%
DYNASTY $1600: England's Henry VII & Edward VI
73%
THEIR ROMAN EQUIVALENTS $1200: Artemis
63%
19TH CENTURY PRESIDENTS $1200: The time of his administration was known as "the Era of Good Feelings"
30%

Total votes: 94

bpmod
Rank

Re: FJs for the 10/31/11 week

Post by bpmod »

One thing (probably the only thing) I liked better on the old board was the yellow & purple smilies with the occasional green thrown in. It was much easier to tell at a glance how somebody did. I didn't even bother posting my smilies for that reason, but I am 2/2 of the regular games, and 0/3 for the ToC games. Oh, and 1/3 on the extras, pretty much normal there.

And as far as seeing who voted for what... I am working on a mod to the phpBB code to allow that. If the resident phpBB boardie that I think I read about somewhere here wants to help, I'd be more than grateful.

Thanks

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I believe that there are other smiley sets that can be implemented. It's just not something I've gotten to. If there's a hue and cry to replace this set (which I'm admittedly not all that impressed by), I will eventually do so.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Image :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: Image Image

I just want my sad 'shaking head no' smiley back :mrgreen:
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:mrgreen: :( :(
I really wanted the "hemostat" clue in the poll!
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Just curious, why is "I missed all the FJs" an option for these polls?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

thejeopardyfan wrote::mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:mrgreen: :( :(
I really wanted the "hemostat" clue in the poll!
Sorry, but a double whammy of picture as key part of the clue and the clue not in the archive yet is very unlikely to be included.
omgwheelhouse wrote:Just curious, why is "I missed all the FJs" an option for these polls?
There are some (this week at least one) who go 0/5 on the FJ clues. If they also go 0/3 on the extra clues then there would be no voting box to check. With the 0/5 box available then participation in the poll is still possible. On the Sony board when I was locked in to a maximum of ten choices board there were times someone requested something special to be polled and I would eliminate the 0/5 box.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

omgwheelhouse wrote:Just curious, why is "I missed all the FJs" an option for these polls?
To get the total number of participants. If you missed everything, you'd have nothing to check.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

:D :D :D :( :D
:D :D :(

Apparently, I correctly answered the "gettable" clues for the week.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

DBear wrote:Someone please explain to me how on earth the Algonquin Round Table is polling 58% and Greece/Cyprus only 17%. :?
Because Jennifer Jason Leigh has never starred in a movie about Cyprus.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

The "highest peaks" FJ is now at 12% (and I can't say I'm surprised). Query: is this the lowest percentage correct for an FJ since Liederkranz? (and what % did that one end up getting?)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

hbomb1947 wrote:The "highest peaks" FJ is now at 12% (and I can't say I'm surprised). Query: is this the lowest percentage correct for an FJ since Liederkranz? (and what % did that one end up getting?)

I seem to remember it being a single digit.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

:D :D :D :D :(
:( :D :D

I was one of the eight so far to get Thursday's stumper. Another 4/5 week.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:( :(

I predict an all- :( week next week due to the TOC.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

DBear wrote:Someone please explain to me how on earth the Algonquin Round Table is polling 58% and Greece/Cyprus only 17%. :?
The Algonquin Round Table is synonymous with witty American men and women of letters and well-known eras the Roaring '20s and the Great Depression. The founding of The New Yorker, Dorothy Parker, Robert Benchley, Kaufman and Hart -- all part of the same crowd.
hbomb1947 wrote:The "highest peaks" FJ is now at 12% (and I can't say I'm surprised). Query: is this the lowest percentage correct for an FJ since Liederkranz? (and what % did that one end up getting?
Concurring with 'gator, I'm pretty sure liederkranz ended up polling at 9%. I'm surprised it was that high. As of now, the peaks are at 10%.
In and out of the pool four times
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I still don't know how anyone got the two peaks question, short of knowing the highest mountain on Cyprus (and, less obscurely, in Greece). For the 10% of you that got it, did you arrive at the right answer through luck, direct knowledge of the peaks, or through reasoning it out using some criteria that the rest of us ("We are the 90%") missed?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

boson wrote:I still don't know how anyone got the two peaks question, short of knowing the highest mountain on Cyprus (and, less obscurely, in Greece). For the 10% of you that got it, did you arrive at the right answer through luck, direct knowledge of the peaks, or through reasoning it out using some criteria that the rest of us ("We are the 90%") missed?
It helped that I started basically in the Mediterranean, and when I reached Cyprus (after wasting 15 seconds on Malta...) Greece came instantly.

I think what helped is, perhaps on a subconscious level, European culture meant, to me, European countries with the same culture. Not just influenced by, or integrated with, but the same. That would have to place them in the same area because, the way I think of it, culture spans more than just the colonial period; it's the same peoples and their history over thousands of years.

Any colonized country would share aspects of their culture with their mother country, but it wouldn't be a 1-1 match and it would integrate aspects of the native culture. UK and Australia might both be classified as European cultures, but I wouldn't say they share a similar culture, not by a long shot.

Cyprus and Greece, though, are pretty close to a 1-1 cultural match, probably as close as you'll get between two different countries.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
earendel

Post by earendel »

I usually get geography clues but the mountain one didn't even register after the reveal (I had to look it up). I thought of Dorothy Parker and Robert Benchnely but couldn't dredge up the name until after the think music ended.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

reddpen wrote:
The Algonquin Round Table is synonymous with witty American men and women of letters and well-known eras the Roaring '20s and the Great Depression. The founding of The New Yorker, Dorothy Parker, Robert Benchley, Kaufman and Hart -- all part of the same crowd.

Yes, I've heard that before--the clue referenced Harpo Marx, who I had no way of knowing was a member. I still don't see anything in the clue pointing in that direction.

By contrast, Greece/Cyprus I thought was easy. An island country sharing culture with a mainland country? Done.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

5/5 FJs, first time in a long time. Peaks I thought, "Malta? no, unique culture (I know someone from there). UK? no. Turkey and Cyprus? Turkey, only small part in Europe. Must be Greece."