Tuesday, November 8, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6242, 2011-11-08

2011 Tournament of Champions quarterfinal game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Christopher Short, a pub trivia editor from Crawfordsville, Indiana
Justin Sausville, a urologist from Baltimore, Maryland
Mark Runsvold, a student and waiter from Moscow, Idaho

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, everyone. Well, this is the day we find out which players get to come back for the next three days to play in our semifinals. Mark, Justin, and Christopher, welcome to the fifth and last of our quarterfinal matches. Good luck. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round for you. Get you off on the good foot, on the right foot, with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IT'S YES-VEMBER (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: It's not November...)
CLASSIC COUNTRY MUSIC (4/5)
BOOK 'EM! (3/5)
ALL SAINTS DAYS (5/5)
ABBREV. (5/5)
TAKE A DRIVE ON I-65 (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mark: 12 R, 0 W
Justin: 10 R, 0 W
Christopher: 4 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Mark: $3,800
Justin: $2,600
Christopher: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Christopher Short is a pub trivia editor from Indiana whose pub quiz recently had a question about the rules of Jeopardy!, and that caused a bit of a controversy. What was it?

Christopher: Yeah, that's right. We asked, basically, what the lowest dollar amount is that you can win the game with, and, uh, one of our players actually had the audacity to e-mail and say that he thought that we were incorrect on that. So I had a pretty good time, you know, directing him to several web sites that showed my authority on the matter.

[Laughter]

Alex: Feels good when you're a person of authority, right?

Christopher: Exactly, yes.

Alex: Yeah, I feel good, too.

[Christopher laughs.]

Alex: Justin Sausville from Baltimore, Maryland. You had the shortest wait of any of our champions before coming back to the show. Uh, you were profiled in The Baltimore Sun, and that caused a bit of controversy?

Justin: Well, it came out in The Baltimore Sun article that, uh, we're planning on moving to Delaware in the near future, um, sometime in November, to be specific. And this prompted a gentleman, um, from the area, to write into the paper and let loose a really blistering indictment of Maryland's tax policy, because he assumed that that was why I was leaving. In reality, I'm leaving--I'm leaving Maryland because the house that I like happens to be in Delaware.

Alex: That's not a bad reason.

Alex: Okay, Mark Runsvold from Moscow, Idaho. Student and waiter. And is it true that some of your co-workers call you "Mister..."

Mark: "Jeopardy! Pants".

[Laughter]

Alex: Of course.

Mark: My boss has pushed really hard for it. It hasn't really caught on, but he continues to... use it.

Alex: Okay. Well, let's see how well you do in this tournament, and maybe he'll push even harder, or give up the idea altogether.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Christopher found the Daily Double on the 30th clue. Mark had $6,200, Justin had $5,600, and Christopher was at $2,600. Christopher wagered $1,500.

IT'S YES-VEMBER $1000: In 1848 ladies said "Yes!" when the USA's first medical school for women opened in this state capital
(Alex: Christopher?)
(Christopher: What is Trenton?)
(Alex: No. What is [*]? [*]. You were in the right part of the country, the Northeast.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CLASSIC COUNTRY MUSIC $800: In a 1975 crossover hit, Freddy Fender put this word before his "Days" & "Nights"

BOOK 'EM! $800: Tashtego
(Alex: One of the harpooners in [*].)

BOOK 'EM! $1000: Pierre Bezukhov
(Alex: The big Russian novel [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Mark: $6,200
Justin: $5,600
Christopher: $1,100
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
INSIDE THE COUNTRY (5/5)
CURRENT TV SHOWS BY EPISODES (3/5)
OOO, SORRY (4/5)
KING OF QUEEN (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
TURTLES & TORTOISES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MAKE YOUR OWN SPY NOVEL TITLES (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Justin: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Mark: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Christopher: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Justin snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Mark had $5,000, Justin had $6,800, and Christopher was at $1,100. Justin wagered $2,200.

KING OF QUEEN $1600: Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, formerly Duchess of York
(Justin: Who is, uh, George the, uh, seventh?)
(Alex: No, what is [*], father of Queen Elizabeth, and that was the correct response.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Justin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 7th clue. Mark had $5,000, Justin had $6,600, and Christopher was at $1,100. Justin wagered $1,400.

TURTLES & TORTOISES $1600: The genus Kinixys includes the only turtles with a hinge on this, the upper shell

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
KING OF QUEEN $1200: Ka'ahumanu
(Mark: Who is Lili'uokalani?)
(Alex: [*]. We're talking about the king, not another queen.)

KING OF QUEEN $2000: Sofia of Greece, born 1938

OOO, SORRY $2000: Alexander Pope didn't write "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" but "a little" this "is a dang'rous thing"

CURRENT TV SHOWS BY EPISODES $1600: "In Sickness" &
"Closing Arguments"

CURRENT TV SHOWS BY EPISODES $1200: "Fizbo" &
"Manny Get Your Gun"
(Alex: Emmy-winning show, [*].)

MAKE YOUR OWN SPY NOVEL TITLES $800: The +
the zodiac sign covering June 1 +
an autograph on a legal document

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Justin: $15,200
Mark: $12,200
Christopher: $5,900

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
18th CENTURY AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Justin: Wager $9,201 to cover Mark.
Mark: Try wagering $399, which is as much as you can put up against Justin without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Christopher.
Christopher: You just can't cover a rational wager by Mark, nor can you win on a Triple Stumper. Improve your situation by wagering everything but a few bucks--and then getting Final right!

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a poem he named himself Cadenus, an anagram of Decanus, or "Dean"

FINAL SCORES
Christopher: $5,900 - $5,900 = $0 (Who is Tennyson?) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Mark: $12,200 + $11,800 = $24,000 (Who is Swift?) (Automatic semifinalist)
Justin: $15,200 + $3,399 = $18,599 (Who is Swift?) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
(Alex: And, Mark Runsvold, congratulations, young man. You are going into the semifinal. And here are the other winners of our quarterfinal matches...)
(Tom: Tom Nissley, Seattle, Washington.)
(Roger: Roger Craig, Newark, Delaware.)
(Joon: Joon Pahk, Somerville, Massachusetts.)
(Buddy: Buddy Wright, Fort Worth, Texas.)
(Alex: And now those four players, the wildcard positions--players who did not win but scored the highest. Here they are...)
(Jay: Jay Rhee, Annapolis, Maryland.)
(Erin: Erin McLean, Danvers, Massachusetts.)
(Kara: Kara Spak, Chicago, Illinois.)
(Alex: Oh, and one more--the young man standing in the middle here, Justin Sausville.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Justin: $17,600, 19 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Mark: $12,200, 19 R, 1 W
Christopher: $7,400, 11 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $37,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Mark: 20/58 = .345
Justin: 20/60 = .333
Christopher: 11/59 = .186
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TURTLES & TORTOISES $1200: (Alex kneels next to a tortoise on the beach in the Galapagos Islands, Ecuador.) On lush islands, dome-shaped tortoises slowly plow through the brush; but where there's less vegetation & they have to reach higher to obtain food, some tortoises can do this because their shells are shaped like this equine accessory

OOO, SORRY $800: You're 20 years late--Lagos was replaced in 1991 as the capital of this country
(Alex: [*], Abuja, yes.)

INSIDE THE COUNTRY $2000: We can have a "ton" of fun in this northernmost Baltic state
(Alex: [*]; "ton" is in there.)

MAKE YOUR OWN SPY NOVEL TITLES $1600: The +
any one of Jason's sailors in Greek myth +
any line of geographic longitude
(Christopher: What is The Argonaut Parallel?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Boston
Wasted
Moby Dick
War and Peace (Voina i mir)
George VI
the carapace
Kamehameha
Juan Carlos of Spain
learning
The Good Wife
Modern Family
The Gemini Signature
Jonathan Swift
a saddle
Nigeria
Estonia
The Argonaut Meridian
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Re: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

This was quite a game. Under most circumstances Justin Sausville would have come away with the win, but Mark Runsvold's bold move in Final Jeopardy! was hard to overcome.

Justin Sausville's performance today proves to me that he has what it takes to steadily build his score against the higher caliber of player that he'll be facing in this tournament, just as he was so good at doing throughout his original run. I would not be shocked to see him advance to the finals, depending on which opponents he draws in the semis.

Mark Runsvold moves to 5-1 in his Jeopardy! career, and I retain him as my pick to walk away from this event with the $250,000 top prize. The competition only gets more daunting from this point forward, but I think that he's up to the challenge.

Christopher Short is a fun player to watch and I would have been happy to see him return in the next round, but it just didn't go his way this time. However, with six wins in his first tenure on the show, I hope to see him back on again someday for a second Ultimate Tournament of Champions.
cshort
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by cshort »

I prepared an illustration to show everyone how outmatched I was on the buzzer: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20273643/indiana-road-map.jpg

Just wanted to get in and say thanks to everyone for their support! It was fun to watch you struggle with my pre-tourney ranking, and ultimately I'm way proud to be a Bronze-level Superchamp :D

And of course, congrats to Messrs. Runsvold and Sausville.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

KenJenningsFan74 wrote:This was quite a game. Under most circumstances Justin Sausville would have come away with the win, but Mark Runsvold's bold move in Final Jeopardy! was hard to overcome.
It's easy to overcome if you wager like there aren't wild cards available, which Justin was wisely unwilling to do. He unknowingly guaranteed himself a spot in the semifinals when he locked in his wager.

I was with Jerome in the audience. When the FJ category was revealed, he decided we should play the precall game, and told me to go first. I named the only 18th century author I could at the moment, which was Swift. I think that would have been Jerome's first choice, so he went for Voltaire. When the FJ music was playing, Jerome seemed pretty sure that I was right, so I didn't really get to ponder over it. But I'll count it as a get since a) as I said, Swift was the only writer who fit the time frame I could come up with, and b) the FJ's terse wording and mention of wordplay reminded me of Doug Hicton's semifinal FJ (http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2171).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The Gemini Notary Public....judges?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

FJ = Not. A. Prayer.
Bamaman wrote:The Gemini Notary Public....judges?
Not even sure what that related to, so no ruling from me.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I pulled Swift out of thin air. Sometimes my brain amazes me.

I thought the "inside the country" category was too easy for DJ. The "spy novel" and "current TV shows by episode titles" categories were lame.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Congratulations to Mark. I'd congratulate Justin as well, but the rat-bastard is abandoning my state. And being a Marylander probably helped you pull out 'terrapin'. Oh, OK, congratulations to Justin as well. Nicely played on both of their parts. Sorry it didn't work out for you Christopher. Well done nonetheless.

Those boards did play pretty hard. And I'll admit I still have no idea what FJ was about, sad to say.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

When I saw the category I defaulted to Swift. Lacking any better guesses, I stayed with him. I'll take it, but the semis/finals are going to be brutal, I can feel it.

Not the best TV category. A couple were easy, since they mentioned characters, and the American Idol clue was a slam dunk, but The Good Wife? Were we really supposed to be familiar with those titles?

Did I hear Alex say that Justin had the shortest wait for the TOC? Huh?

That spy novel category showed us what happens when the writers run out of good ideas and make something up 5 minutes before the show. WTF?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a great game. Congrats to Mark on the win and to Justin on the wild cart spot, and to Christopher on the run!

For the second night in a row I thought that this was an easy board. In my opinion the first two boards of the quarterfinals were above average in difficulty, the one in Friday's game was very hard, and the last two were about regular show level.

It looked like Christopher went through the same thing that Paul went through last night on the buzzer. I guess that his post confirms it. At least he did get on a roll there at the end and got himself back in it.

I must confess that Mark did not live up to my expectations in this game. It was an easy board but he still missed out on a few good gets. I thought that he wagered too aggressively in FJ but mad props to him for coming up with the correct response. I am looking for him to come out swinging in the semifinals.

I might not have picked Justin to win this game but I wasn't surprised that he performed as well as he did. I am looking forward to seeing him in the semifinals.

The Somalia/Mali clue brought back a memory of a FJ from one of Terry Linwood's game.

I thought that the spy novel category was dumb when I saw the first clue on it but by the $1200 clue it had really grown on me. I want to see it again soon!

I had no idea on FJ and guessed John Milton just to have something, even though I knew he was too early for the clue. I remember Doug Hicton's semifinal ToC game well, so there was no excuse for me missing this one.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

I got The Good Wife one and I don't watch that show. It mentioned "In Sickness" (a reference to wedding vows, hello Wife reference) and a legal thing. Slam dunk. I thought all the TV titles were easy, and I don't watch most of those shows.

I thought the spy novels category was pretty funny. It was just an exercise in quick thinking, two questions in one, cram it together. Doesn't hurt to have a bit of entertainment in the show, since the ToC will have people watching who aren't necessarily hardcore trivia fiends.

I pre-called Swift, and vaguely remembered he was connected to the church, so the 'dean' reference worked, and I stuck with it.

Sad to see Chris out. Sometimes the buzzer mojo just doesn't happen.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

StevenH wrote: The Somalia/Mali clue brought back a memory of a FJ from one of Terry Linwood's game.
One of the contestants who played that FJ! triple stumper, Abra Belke, will be on WWTBAM tomorrow.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Suze wrote:I thought the spy novels category was pretty funny. It was just an exercise in quick thinking, two questions in one, cram it together. Doesn't hurt to have a bit of entertainment in the show, since the ToC will have people watching who aren't necessarily hardcore trivia fiends.
Would a non-'fiend' have gotten Rhineland? :shrug: To each hisher own, and I'll take the 5/5, but I won't shed any tears if we never see the Create-a-Ludlum-Novel category again.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

I'm not saying they weren't difficult at all, but the resulting answers were amusing. Entertainment is what I'm talking about.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Gaaah, my precall for FJ was Rousseau, and I got nothing out of the "Dean" TOM, so I went with it. I rather liked the spy novels category, tho I only went 3/5. My runs came in All Saints and I-65.

For ToC FJs, got the first two, missed the last three.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Dang! I precalled Coleridge and never got off that dime.

Mark: The Dear Wife and I have developed this unspoken pact of mutual support for our respective home states. As a result, I usually root for West Virginia contestants even harder than she does, and she leads the cheers for Idahoans. You may be pleased to know that she thrust her fist into the air with a "Yesssss!" at game's end. :D
Great effort, Christopher, and you'd have been a semifinalist but for the flick of fate. Coincidentally, on our road-trip vacation the past two weeks, we at least drove by four of the five points mentioned in the I-65 category, Mobile being the exception. Oddly, on the return trip to Chicago on Sunday, the Garmin wanted us to turn left onto the Dunes Highway. You might understand why we opted for the Indiana Toll Road instead.
xxaaaxx wrote:Did I hear Alex say that Justin had the shortest wait for the TOC? Huh?
I heard the same thing. Also, at the end of the game Alex saw Justin's FJ! wager and said he didn't risk enough. This being a quarterfinal game, my immediate response was "Didn't risk enough for what?"
xxaaaxx wrote:That spy novel category showed us what happens when the writers run out of good ideas and make something up 5 minutes before the show. WTF?
It was pretty odd. Every clue elicited two specific words with no TOM whatsoever, only a slight edge of smart-aleckiness. But I have to hand it to the writers for taking a chance; a category like that or "Tarzan Book Reviews" has an elevated probability of falling flat.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

18th Century Authors
He named himself Cadenus, an anagram of decanus, or "dean".
Spoiler
Who is Jonathan Swift? Christopher said Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
Justin Sausville: $15,200+$3,399=$18,599
Mark Runsvold: $12,200+$11,800=$24,000
Christopher Short: $5,900-$5,900=$0
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

xxaaaxx wrote:Did I hear Alex say that Justin had the shortest wait for the TOC? Huh?
i had the same reaction, oddly. :) i think he said that because at the time of the ToC taping, justin's shows had just aired a week before. so maybe alex was thinking he'd only been gone a week. of course, my shows hadn't aired at all yet, so by that reckoning i had a negative wait for the ToC.

either way, congrats to both justin and mark on really strong games. justin was a machine on the buzzer. from the studio you could tell that the signal lights barely had time to blink on before he or mark would get in. the game was played at a lightning pace. i had forgotten that they left some quality lit questions on the board (moby dick, war & peace, alexander pope) that i thought they would really know, but overall they were extremely impressive. props to chris, too, for clawing his way back into the game after a nightmarish first round.

i got FJ but yikes, that clue had almost no content. i remembered that swift was dean of st paul's and that was enough to steer me in that direction. so 4/4 in the QFs for me (roger/brian/kara's FJ was spoiled for me before i had a chance to hear the clue). yay...

speaking of kara, can i now say congrats to kara on making the SF? she took a lot of crap (here and elsewhere) about her QF game, but she made a perfectly reasonable wager, was the only one who got the tournament's toughest FJ right, and zigged when everybody zagged to qualify for the semis. well done, and good luck to her in the next round.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

It seems like who people precalled had a big effect on whether they were able to get this FJ correct. My precall was Voltaire, and I cycled through him, Adam Smith, and Gibbon; never came within 500 miles of Swift. It would have helped if I'd known that Swift had been Dean of St. Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin, but bereft as I was of that knowledge, the TOM did nothing for me.

I thought the spy novel category was an attempt to be cute that just didn't work. I didn't really find the clues funny, and the category just got annoying as it went on.

After I flailed on the "leatherback" FJ last season, my heart sank when I saw an entire category devoted to turtles & tortoises . . . :o

I had never seen one of Justin's episodes before (my DVR had been non-functional at the end of least season, and my replacement DVR had stopped working at the beginning of this season). As a result, I might have underrated him. I was impressed by what I saw. And Mark, of course, was as advertised. Tough draw for Chris, but a valiant charge by him in the DJ round. With a different FJ (such as yesterday's hella-easy one), we might be seeing Chris instead of Kara in the semi-finals (although it's good to see Kara make it).
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide