Wednesday, June 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by JeopRDFan »

davey wrote: I'm a little embarrassed by my FJ response tonight...the National Symphony...I'm too artsy, the Marine Corps band is not on my radar!
Same here, just to have something -- figured it had to be a national group, but the military didn't even dawn on me. New champ seems pretty sharp and quick on the draw, could be tough to beat.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

skullturf wrote:It'll probably have a reasonably high get rate in the weekly poll, and it's just my fault for not knowing it. Out of curiosity, did other Canadians here get this one?
I can say for certain that this Canadian has no recollection of ever having heard of it.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
theajw
Contributor

Post by theajw »

Someone in the contestant pool told me that Desiree was having trouble with the bright lights.

Paige and I were both joking last night on FB that the buzzer in the middle podium worked better than the champion's buzzer. :)
Last edited by theajw on Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

Johnblue wrote:
Woppy T wrote:
Paucle wrote:
Adam Scott looks like he could manage a nice little run. Seemed composed and knew how to play the game. His last DD wager made sure if he missed, Paige would have to run the board to have an FJ shot.
Thank you! I spent half the game trying to figure our what celebrity he reminded me of. That's it

The actor or the golfer? I don't see the resemblance but he sure is sharp. And how do the last 2 clues go unanswered? Desiree had an odd affect. Angry or peeved or something.
I was thinking of the golfer.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

skullturf wrote:
davey wrote:
It'll probably have a reasonably high get rate in the weekly poll, and it's just my fault for not knowing it. Out of curiosity, did other Canadians here get this one?
There are other internationals too :) . No I didn't get it - makes sense to put some 'military' band - but oh well.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
earendel

Post by earendel »

MarkBarrett wrote:I won't put it on the poll, but I am curious about banter vs. bandy. One for banter, here.
I said "bandy" because the clue said something about words and I'm familiar with the phrase "bandy words". I was surprised that "banter" was an acceptable alternative.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Vanya wrote:Oh, and no self-respecting libertarian would find a justification for torture in the Constitution, as Yoo did.
At least not for torture committed by the government. That's a job for the private sector.
davey

Post by davey »

earendel wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I won't put it on the poll, but I am curious about banter vs. bandy. One for banter, here.
I said "bandy" because the clue said something about words and I'm familiar with the phrase "bandy words". I was surprised that "banter" was an acceptable alternative.
"Exchange of words" in the clue could be either - it's "toss or throw back & forth" that suggests "bandy." You can't banter with a ball. But bantering is like throwing so I think it's close enough...
davey

Post by davey »

earendel wrote:
"Exchange of words" in the clue could be either - it's "toss or throw back & forth" that suggests "bandy." You can't banter with a ball. But bantering is like throwing so I think it's close enough...
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Wendy Wasserstein was the answer to the first question on the first in-person J! test I ever took, in the pre-online test era. (I got it right, but it went downhill from there.)
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Banter was the word that came out of my mouth, although I agree that bandy is the more correct answer.
Sheepin' it real.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
skullturf wrote:It'll probably have a reasonably high get rate in the weekly poll, and it's just my fault for not knowing it. Out of curiosity, did other Canadians here get this one?
I can say for certain that this Canadian has no recollection of ever having heard of it.

Brian
Nor have I. I put down the US Navy Band (so I'm in good company anyways) mainly because I have their page bookmarked and visit it every so often (specifically this page) and thought I even saw on the page once how it's the oldest and goes back to 1780-something yadda yadda yadda, but visiting it again just now it has a big banner "celebrating 89 years", so I guess I remembered wrong.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

doihavetoreally wrote:
skullturf wrote:
davey wrote:
It'll probably have a reasonably high get rate in the weekly poll, and it's just my fault for not knowing it. Out of curiosity, did other Canadians here get this one?
There are other internationals too :) . No I didn't get it - makes sense to put some 'military' band - but oh well.
Where are you from, doihaveto? We usually assume it's just Americans and Canadians here because those are the only countries we're aware of that get it (although I recall Ken mentioning in Braniac how he first watched it as a kid in Korea on the Armed Forces Network)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

theajw wrote:Someone in the contestant pool told me that Desiree was having trouble with the bright lights.

Paige and I were both joking last night on FB that the buzzer in the middle podium worked better than the champion's buzzer. :)
Funny, the rightmost one worked fine for me. ;)
peteyx
Contributor

Post by peteyx »

theajw wrote:Someone in the contestant pool told me that Desiree was having trouble with the bright lights.

Now I feel really bad I lost that card flip! ;)
Roland
Contributor

Post by Roland »

Paige looked like she maybe didn't hear the question for her DD. Didn't seem like she was trying to answer a question at all.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

bpmod wrote:

Brian
Just for reciprocity's sake, is there a Canadian counterpart? Mounties' chorus or something like that?
Onairb wrote:No matter what Mrs Clinton says, it does NOT take a 'village' to have 20,000 inhabitants.
Of course if you're talking about the same Mrs. Clinton I think you are, her hometown is actually the City of Park Ridge (the Dear Wife and I live in a less ritzy part of town than where she grew up). Most Chicagoland suburbs have the village form of government, but you'll find a random city here and there. After 17 years in the area, I still am unclear on the difference. But scads of suburbanites do pride themselves oddly on living in villages.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
billiej

Post by billiej »

davey wrote:
billiej wrote:I'll never understand why people find it so hard to pronounce Bangor correctly, especially since it's sounds like it's spelled (NOT "banger"). :twisted:
Yeah, it's just like so many other words with o's near the end...sailor...traitor...humor... ;) !
OK, point taken, but even those words I don't pronounce with a purely "er" sound, but not quite an "or" sound either - kind of in between, like the champ did with Bangor (it was Alex's "correction" of his pronounciation that irked me, I'm thinking, "shut up, he was closer than you!!").
Golf

Post by Golf »

jeopardyhopeful wrote:Reminds of a guy I saw one time on WWTBAM back in its glory days who won $500,000 but didn't crack a smile the entire time and looked like he was about as happy to be there as he would be headed to the dentist's office for a root canal.
OK, if you were competing for money like that, would you be focused on the task at hand or would you be giggling like a schoolgirl?

Typically the people with the more serious attitudes perform better. Because they look at it as a competition with a huge payday, not just some fun time in a big city.

Long story short, he won half a million dollars, he was happy and had a great time. Even if the audience couldn't tell. And who cares what they thought.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Golf wrote:
jeopardyhopeful wrote:Reminds of a guy I saw one time on WWTBAM back in its glory days who won $500,000 but didn't crack a smile the entire time and looked like he was about as happy to be there as he would be headed to the dentist's office for a root canal.
OK, if you were competing for money like that, would you be focused on the task at hand or would you be giggling like a schoolgirl?

Typically the people with the more serious attitudes perform better. Because they look at it as a competition with a huge payday, not just some fun time in a big city.

Long story short, he won half a million dollars, he was happy and had a great time. Even if the audience couldn't tell. And who cares what they thought.
When I was on WWTBAM I was told during one the breaks that I was too "intense", could I smile a little more? Um, OK, I'm already smiling, but whatever. I was happy as hell to be there, but I wasn't going to act like a TPIR contestant.