Monday, November 14, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, November 14, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6246, 2011-11-14

2011 Tournament of Champions final game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Buddy Wright, an operations engineer from Fort Worth, Texas
Tom Nissley, a writer from Seattle, Washington
Roger Craig, a computer scientist from Newark, Delaware

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the first half of our 2-game, total-point finals in this year's Tournament of Champions. By the end of tomorrow's program, these 3 players will have earned $400,000. But which one of them will get to go home with the lion's share--one quarter of a million dollars? Buddy, Tom, and Roger, good luck. Here we go--the first round of play. And your categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
20 FOR DUMMIES (5/5) (Alex: The For Dummies books are celebrating their 20th anniversary this year, so we have a whole category about those books.)
SITCOMS BY MOM (3/5)
MISSISSIPPI MISTERS (5/5)
THE DOCTOR WILL "C" YOU NOW (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FRENCH FIXINS (5/5)
PETRA (4/5) (Alex: ...a city in Jordan that flourished 2,000 years ago and still fascinates us today.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tom: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Roger: 10 R, 1 W
Buddy: 7 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Buddy found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Roger had $2,400, Tom had $1,600, and Buddy was at $1,200. Buddy made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

THE DOCTOR WILL "C" YOU NOW $800: What's that I say? You need this type of implant in your inner ear that directly stimulates the hearing nerve

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Roger: $3,400
Buddy: $2,400
Tom: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. Buddy Wright, I was just telling the audience here that a quarter-million dollars, which is, uh, first-prize money in this Tournament of Champions, can really change someone's life. What would it do to your life?

Buddy: Uh, my--I have a 3-year-old son Jack, a 1-year-old daughter Jordan, and my wife Jill and I have decided that our house is just far too small with those two additions, so I think we'll go and purchase a new house.

Alex: Good for you. That would help the economy, too. Glad to hear that.

Alex: Uh, Tom Nissley, a writer from Seattle, Washington. If you win?

Tom: Uh, I'm gonna write. I'm gonna buy some more time. That's... [Laughs]

Alex: And tell me about what you're working on right now. You've got a novel in the works, I know.

Tom: Yeah, and it's, uh, it's set, actually, in Los Angeles in 1914, the early silent movie era. And, uh, so I'm gonna extend my trip here, and do a little research at the Academy library when I'm done.

Alex: But is it about the film industry?

Tom: Yeah, yeah.

Alex: Oh, good. Those are always great. Okay.

Alex: Roger Craig, you have, uh, prepared for your appearances on Jeopardy! in much the same way those IBM scientists prepared Watson for his appearances. How did you do it?

Roger: I used computer science to help, uh, decide what was important to study on Jeopardy! and then--

Alex: Give me an example, for instance.

Roger: Uh, for example, presidents and Shakespeare both come up, but which comes up more?

Alex: Ah.

Roger: And--and then also, how much do I know in each subject?

Alex: That's even more important than what comes up a lot.

Roger: Yeah.

Alex: All right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SITCOMS BY MOM $600: Evelyn Harper (Holland Taylor)

SITCOMS BY MOM $1000: A new mom in 2011, Reagan Brinkley (Christina Applegate)

PETRA $1000: (Alex presents the clue from Petra, Jordan.) There are a number of important tombs in the ancient city of Petra, like the one behind me, which is not named for a person, but because of the magnificent color striations, is named for this expensive fabric

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Tom: $6,200
Roger: $5,400
Buddy: $3,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, November 14, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NOVELS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SOUNDS ALL AROUND (4/5)
ANAGRAMMYS (4/5) (Alex: We want you to unscramble the [*] in order to come up with the Grammy category.)
WHO'S AT STAKE? (5/5)
LANGUAGES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
4 STRAIGHT VOWELS (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Roger: 14 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Buddy: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Tom: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Roger snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Roger had $9,000, Tom had $7,400, and Buddy was at $4,200. Roger made it a True Daily Double, wagering $9,000.

NOVELS $1200: Her "Agnes Grey" appeared in 1847 under the pseudonym Acton Bell (note the initials)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Roger who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 9th clue. Roger had $18,000, Tom had $7,400, and Buddy was at $4,200. Roger made it a True Daily Double, wagering $18,000.

LANGUAGES $1600: Although Dutch is the official language, Sranan Tongo is spoken by most people in this South American country

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ANAGRAMMYS $2000: Welcome to the Best "SNARE TWIT"

4 STRAIGHT VOWELS $1600: This adjective means fawning or exhibiting servile obedience

4 STRAIGHT VOWELS $2000: "The moan of doves in immemorial elms, and murmuring of innumerable bees" is an example of this literary device
(Roger: What is
"onomanopoeia"?)
[Initially ruled correct; reversed before Final Jeopardy!]

SOUNDS ALL AROUND $2000: Small pieces of ice that can damage a ship are called these, as trapped air escaping during melting makes them sound like animals
(Roger: [Guessing under his breath without ringing in as time expires] Wolves?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Roger: $43,200 (lock game)
Buddy: $11,000
Tom: $9,400

PREFINAL REMARKS
[Prior to the commercial break]
Alex: And that takes you to $9,400. Buddy has $11,000, and Roger in the lead--$47,200. You know, Roger, you could set a new 1-day record.

Roger: [Rhetorically] What's the old one?

Alex: [Not realizing the joke, looking off-stage] The old one is 70... $79,000? $79,000. Okay. All right. Final Jeopardy! category for the three of you--THE PRESIDENTIAL CABINET. Keep in mind, this is a 2-day total point affair. We'll be back in a moment.

[After the break]
Alex: Welcome back. A bit of business to deal with. I think Roger Craig may have been pulling my leg a little while ago when he asked, "What's the 1-day record on Jeopardy!?" Because he set it at $77,000, not $79,000. But we do have bad news for you right now, Roger.

Roger: Yeah.

Alex: You misspoke a while ago in your response on onomatopoeia. You didn't pronounce it the right way, and so we've had to deduct from you. Your total is correct now at $43,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE PRESIDENTIAL CABINET

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Roger: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $21,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Buddy: Wager $7,801 to cover Tom.
Tom: Risk between $1,601 and $6,200, covering Buddy's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
7 women have been the secretary of this, the most for any department in the president's cabinet

FINAL SCORES
Tom: $9,400 + $9,400 = $18,800 (What is Labor?)
Buddy: $11,000 - $5,000 = $6,000 (What is State?)
Roger: $43,200 + $6,800 = $50,000 (What is Labor?)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Roger: $19,000, 24 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Buddy: $10,600, 14 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Tom: $9,400, 15 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $39,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Roger: 25/60 = .417
Tom: 16/58 = .276
Buddy: 14/59 = .237
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
20 FOR DUMMIES $400: "Allergies &" this "for Dummies" lists famous folks with the condition, including Beethoven & Teddy Roosevelt
(Roger: What are Autoimmune Diseases?)

THE DOCTOR WILL "C" YOU NOW $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows an anatomical animation on the monitor.) With osteoporosis, the vertebrae in the spine are weakened, & when forced against each other, can result in this common type of fracture

MISSISSIPPI MISTERS $800: In March 2011, Columbus, Mississippi celebrated what would have been the 100th birthday of this playwright

PETRA $200: (Alex presents the clue from Petra, Jordan.) Petra is built on a terrace overlooking Wadi Musa the valley of this man, who tradition says struck a rock here & made it gush with water

PETRA $600: (Alex presents the clue from Petra, Jordan.) The approach to Petra is through a narrow cleft which in 312 B.C. helped it withstand a siege by the army of Antigonus of these people; he was an heir to Alexander the Great

SOUNDS ALL AROUND $1600: For a comedian, it's instrumental that one of these heard here follows a punchline

WHO'S AT STAKE? $1200: Florence, May 23, 1498:
An anti-papal priest & reformer
(Roger: Who is Bruno?)
(Tom: Who is Sav--Savonera? I... [sighs])
(Alex: Yes, thanks for helping, Tom!)

CORRECT RESPONSES
a cochlear implant
Two and a Half Men
Up All Night
silk
Anne Brontë
Suriname
New Artist
obsequious
onomatopoeia
growlers
Labor
Asthma
a compression fracture
Tennessee Williams
Moses
the Macedonians
a rimshot
Savonarola
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Monday, November 14, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

This'll be fun.
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

That was incredible. When Roger Craig announced that he was going for a second consecutive Daily Double, I was floored; my guess before he stated his wager was that he would make a $10,000 bet, but putting the entire $18,000 at risk was beyond even the extraordinary boldness that I've come to expect from Roger Craig.

Tom Nissley put himself into pretty good position for tomorrow's game, considering the massive deficit he faced due to the $27,000 earned by Roger Craig on two clues. I think that he's going to need to be aggressive in hunting out the Daily Doubles and then go big on them to have any realistic chance of winning, but I wouldn't count him out yet.

Buddy Wright played very well today, a fact that will probably be overshadowed in most people's mind's by what Roger Craig achieved. Heading into the Tournament of Champions I'm not sure I would have thought that Buddy Wright would compete on such an equal level with Tom Nissley and Roger Craig, but he's certainly proven so far that he can.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Mark B wrote:
RCraig wrote:I wasn’t buzzing on every clue. (ETA: e.g. I didn't buzz on any of the Silent Letter Words, except mnemonic) I was buzzing on every clue I was pretty darn sure I knew. But, to my own consternation, I was so tired that I was failing to pull even the most basic stuff.
Hope you got to take a nap before the finals!
I think this question has been answered. Wow. Both of those DD's in the DJ round were much too easy for a TOC (seriously, novel title, plus gender, plus pen name, plus initials?!!!), but Roger was able to dominate on the other clues during DJ as well. Maybe the insta-quadrupling had a bit of a demoralizing effect on his competitors?

Well, at least Tom and Buddy know exactly what they need to do in game 2 (although, curiously, Buddy didn't go all in on FJ - any reason for that?). No offense, Roger, but I'm definitely rooting for a big comeback so that FJ isn't a lock.

On a side note, if Alex correctly negs Roger on his mispronunciation, yielding a $2000 (another overvalued clue, but that's beside the point) rebound for Tom, and Tom avoids his mispronunciation (I think that was a $1600 clue, but I might be wrong), that's an extra ~$10K for Tom's total by game's end. These things can turn on a dime...
shubhaghosh
Contributor

Post by shubhaghosh »

I got a chuckle from the FJ category since Presidential cabinet (specifically Obama Successors) was a category in DJ on the one show I was on (and lost to Buddy). Great game to watch. Can Roger's boldness continue? I am rooting for the underdogs in this game. Tom Nissely's novel sounds cool, and Buddy and his family deserve a new house.
Last edited by shubhaghosh on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shubhaghosh
Contributor

Post by shubhaghosh »

How exactly did Roger pronounce onomotapoeia? i thought th neg was silly, but I must have missed something.

"So what exactly is the record one day total?" Roger has cajones (and I am sure he would bet them all on a DD if he could!)
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

Holy game 1 Batman!

I replayed Roger's answer twice- I think he said onomanopoeia, but it's so fast it's hard to say for sure.
zdude69closedrofl
Valued Contributor

Post by zdude69closedrofl »

Out of curiosity, what is the biggest Daily Double wager that has been made on the show?
code65536
Contributor

Post by code65536 »

Wow. That was really reckless and gutsy. But it paid off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRwK8SyVeJE (Roger's TDD's)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SodL5TmkDgY (chat about the one-day record and FJ)
shubhaghosh
Contributor

Post by shubhaghosh »

lisa0012 wrote:Holy game 1 Batman!

I replayed Roger's answer twice- I think he said onomanopoeia, but it's so fast it's hard to say for sure.
thanks. If he pronounced it that way, he should have been negged.

I have to replay the pronounciation of "Savanarola." There might be an argument there for mispronounciation. I think it is pronounced like Savannah plus rolla
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

shubhaghosh wrote:

I have to replay the pronounciation of "Savanarola." There might be an argument there for mispronounciation. I think it is pronounced like Savannah plus rolla
I'm afraid I have to neg you for mispronouncing "(mis)pronunciation"!

There is some leeway for pronunciation errors. Changing a consonant is outside that leeway, but mis-stressing and some vowel alterations are allowed.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

I have a question for Roger if he's around to see it. Would you have potentially tried to break your own record if you had your full $47,200, or was the thought of record breaking not even in your mind?

Wow. Talk about another Roger Craig special. I thought it might have been a bit more evenly matched when I saw Tom in the lead at the end of regular Jeopardy, but then ohhh that Double Jeopardy round. I think I literally chuckled as soon as you hit that second one in a row because I knew exactly what was going to happen even though I didn't necessarily predict two TDD's in a row. It's not like Tom and Buddy did terrible either, but boy Roger got his mojo on. I highly suspect he would have crushed these guys in the Coryat as well.

I won't congratulate Roger on the tournament yet, but both Tom and Buddy have a lot of work to do. Look forward to seeing how it ends.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Before the game, I was talking it over with friends, and the concensus was: Tom in a shootout, Roger if he gets hold of one or two Daily Doubles, Buddy as a sleeper, but I NEVER could've imagined anything like this. Usually it goes from close, to comfortable lead, to runaway; this went from lead, to runaway, to "WTF did I just witness?" Outstanding game Roger, even if it makes tomorrow's game somewhat anticlimactic :D

ETA: Tom's reaction when Roger hit that second DD was priceless. If it were me, my exact thought would've been, "oh ^%@#!, we're screwed"; I wonder what was going through his mind?
code65536
Contributor

Post by code65536 »

lisa0012 wrote:I replayed Roger's answer twice- I think he said onomanopoeia, but it's so fast it's hard to say for sure.
I replayed that a few times too, and you are right: he replaced the "t" with an "n" (or as we computer scientists would write, s/t/n/). Link
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Wow.

During the commercial break after the J round I thought to myself: "All the players seem to be doing fairly well and the game is pretty close thus far." How quickly things change...

When Roger hit the first DD in the DJ round, I knew at once that he would go for a TDD. However, upon hitting the other DD on the next clue, I did not expect another TDD. A very bold (and rewarding) move! Another bold move was his cheeky question to Alex about the highest single-game score. :D

My one concern heading into FJ was that Roger might do a big wager there as well, but I see he restrained himself. :D

I also went with State for FJ, but I'm weak in that category. However, my consolation prize for the game was picking up the Lach Trash on silk.
shubhaghosh
Contributor

Post by shubhaghosh »

seaborgium wrote:
shubhaghosh wrote:

I'm afraid I have to neg you for mispronouncing "(mis)pronunciation"!

There is some leeway for pronunciation errors. Changing a consonant is outside that leeway, but mis-stressing and some vowel alterations are allowed.

Ouch. Thanks for catching the misspellings/typos. Can I blame it on the small print? I think so! :roll: At least I got onomotapoeia and Savanarola at home.

Bravo to Tom for getting Hutz (sp?). Something I knew once, but let slip from my mind.
code65536
Contributor

Post by code65536 »

DWS wrote:I also went with State for FJ, but I'm weak in that category. However, my consolation prize for the game was picking up the Lach Trash on silk.
That was my first thought as well because State is one of those few cabinet departments that we actually hear about on a regular basis. But then I remembered that Albright becoming SoS was such a big deal since she was the first (and then 2 of the 3 after her were women too), so it can't be State. As for what else it could be, the other departments get so little attention in the media that I was at a loss for what it might be. My guesses were HHS (current sec'y is a woman) and Labor (I went with HHS, and that was of course wrong).
shubhaghosh
Contributor

Post by shubhaghosh »

code65536 wrote:
DWS wrote:I also went with State for FJ, but I'm weak in that category. However, my consolation prize for the game was picking up the Lach Trash on silk.
That was my first thought as well because State is one of those few cabinet departments that we actually hear about on a regular basis. But then I remembered that Albright becoming SoS was such a big deal since she was the first (and then 2 of the 3 after her were women too), so it can't be State. As for what else it could be, the other departments get so little attention in the media that I was at a loss for what it might be. My guesses were HHS (current sec'y is a woman) and Labor (I went with HHS, and that was of course wrong).

I went back and forth between Labor and HHS, but then thought that HHS had gone through some changes over the past 30 years. Perkins was the first female member of the cabinet, and she was SoL under Roosevelt. That seemed long enough ago to allow for 6 more women. So I went with Labor. State was obviously wrong for the reasons you said.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

The Presidential Cabinet
7 women have been the secretary of this, the most for any department in the President's Cabinet.
Spoiler
What is Labor? Buddy said State.
Roger Craig: $43,200+$6,800=$50,000
Buddy Wright: $11,000-$5,000=$6,000
Tom Nissley: $9,400+$9,400=$18,800