Tuesday, November 15, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6247, 2011-11-15

2011 Tournament of Champions final game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Buddy Wright, an operations engineer from Fort Worth, Texas (subtotal of $6,000)
Tom Nissley, a writer from Seattle, Washington (subtotal of $18,800)
Roger Craig, a computer scientist from Newark, Delaware (subtotal of $50,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the deciding game. Big lead for Roger. Can that be overcome in just one game? We're gonna find out. This is gonna be an exciting game, because those Daily Doubles and your wagers are going to be most important. Good luck. Here we go. Categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
USDA FOREST SERVICE (4/5)
YOU MUST REMEMBER CASABLANCA (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ANCIENT WISDOM (5/5)
NAME THE CITY (5/5)
FOREIGN WORDS & PHRASES (5/5)
MELTING POTPOURRI (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Roger: 16 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Tom: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Buddy: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Roger found the Daily Double on the 11th clue. Roger had $3,200, Tom had $1,000, and Buddy was at $600. Roger made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,200.

YOU MUST REMEMBER CASABLANCA $600: After Nazi Major Strasser has been shot, the command goes out to "round up" this group, the title of another film

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Roger: $6,800
Buddy: $1,000
Tom: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Buddy Wright is from Fort Worth, Texas, and he works at a large aerospace company. Now when you appeared on our show originally, the company broadcast your episodes during lunch hour at the plant, right?

Buddy: Yes. The, uh--

Alex: Are they likely to do the same thing, uh, leading up to these finals?

Buddy: You know, depending on how I do right now, I'm not sure I want 'em to.

[Laughter]

Alex: Oh, really? What's the aerospace company?

Buddy: Lockheed Martin.

Alex: Lockheed Martin. Big one. Good one.

Alex: Tom Nissley, writer from Seattle, Washington. Your grandmother was a big fan of our show, and how old was she when she passed?

Tom: She, uh, passed--she was 104.

Alex: Wow.

Tom: When I was on the show, uh, last year, we--I mentioned that she was 103, and, uh... the shows aired, uh, right before Christmas, and, uh, we went back east, outside Philly, uh... went to see her, I got to watch a show with her, uh, and it was, it was, um, the whole nursing home had been watching all the shows, so it was a--it was pretty fun. It was nice.

Alex: Special moments, good.

Tom: Yeah.

Alex: Roger Craig. Uh, you're gonna do a lot of traveling if, uh, you win this, aren't you?

Roger: Yes. I'd like to go to Easter Island and also France. Not on the same trip, though.

[Laughter]

Alex: Thank you. They're--they're quite some distance apart.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
USDA FOREST SERVICE $600: The shape of the Union Pacific Railroad logo was used, & this tree in the pine family was added to create the Forest Service logo
(Roger: What is Ponderosa?)

YOU MUST REMEMBER CASABLANCA $800: Central to the plot are stolen "letters of" this that will allow anyone to travel unopposed
(Roger: What is... mark?)
(Tom: What are passage?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Roger: $10,000
Tom: $3,800
Buddy: $1,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TOUGH BODIES OF WATER (4/5)
I MARRIED THIS SPORTS STAR (3/5)
GOOD MIGRATIONS (5/5)
20th CENTURY AMERICANS (5/5)
HAVE YOU HEARD THE "NEWS"? (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
17-LETTER WORDS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tom: 10 R, 0 W
Roger: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Buddy: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Buddy snagged the next Daily Double on the 17th clue. Roger had $11,600, Tom had $11,000, and Buddy was at $4,800. Buddy made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,800.

17-LETTER WORDS $1200: This adjective means "thwarting an intended goal", like living on credit while trying to save money
(Alex: Well there are 2 bits of good news for this because 1, you get to deal with the clue all by yourself, and 2, you have prevented Roger from coming up with the Daily Double and risking it all. What are you going to do?)
(Buddy: I'm not sure I have a lot to lose, let's bet it all.)
(Buddy: I got nothing.)
(Alex: What is counter-)
(Alex and Buddy in unison: -productive.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Buddy who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Roger had $13,600, Tom had $14,200, and Buddy was at $3,600. Buddy wagered $600.

HAVE YOU HEARD THE "NEWS"? $2000: Its Nov. 22, 1963 front-page headline read: "Storm of Political Controversy Swirls Around Kennedy on Visit"
(Buddy: I'd like to stick around for Final Jeopardy!, so I'm only going to bet $600.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
I MARRIED THIS SPORTS STAR $1600: Ashley Judd,
in 2001
(Alex: The driver, yeah. [*].)

I MARRIED THIS SPORTS STAR $2000: Carrie Underwood,
in 2010
(Roger: Who is... Romo?)
(Alex: Who was NHL star [*]?)

TOUGH BODIES OF WATER $1600: The Amana Colonies were settled on this "stately" river in the 1850s
(Roger: What is Tennessee?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Roger: $15,600 (lock tournament)
Tom: $14,600
Buddy: $4,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY POETRY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Roger: Wager $13,601 to cover Tom. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $4,401.
Tom: Your score is within 4/5ths of Roger's, so wager between $2,001 (venusian) and $5,399 (martian), beating Roger's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Buddy's part.
Buddy: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Tom, but if Tom decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $2,600.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He wrote, "He looked upon the garish day With such a wistful eye; The man had killed the thing he loved, & so he had to die"

FINAL SCORES
Buddy: $4,600 - $0 = $4,600 = $10,600 cumulative (Who is Shelley?) (2nd runner-up: $50,000)
Tom: $14,600 - $14,600 = $0 = $18,800 cumulative (Who is Coleridge?) (1st runner-up: $100,000)
Roger: $15,600 - $14,400 = $1,200 = $51,200 cumulative (Who is P. Shelley?) (Tournament champion: $250,000)
(Alex: No, it was [*], "The Ballad of Reading Gaol".)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Tom: $14,600, 16 R, 1 W
Roger: $13,000, 25 R (including 1 DD), 6 W
Buddy: $10,800, 14 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $38,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Roger: 25/59 = .424
Tom: 16/58 = .276
Buddy: 14/60 = .233
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
USDA FOREST SERVICE $1000: During the Depression this New Deal agency renewed our decimated forests by planting about 3 billion trees

FOREIGN WORDS & PHRASES $600: Arabic gives us the names of both a plant & this bath sponge made from that plant

MELTING POTPOURRI $400: This artist created the melting 1931 work seen here

MELTING POTPOURRI $600: Add melted cheese & chile peppers to tortilla chips & you get this Mexican-American appetizer
(Buddy: What is queso dip?)

MELTING POTPOURRI $1000: Melting copper & zinc together is the traditional recipe for this alloy used since Neolithic times
(Roger: What is bronze?)

20th CENTURY AMERICANS $1600: This Olympian was named to the National Track & Field Hall of Fame in 1974

GOOD MIGRATIONS $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows us a map of North & South America.) Separated by up to 1500 miles at the start of their annual migration, flocks of the scarlet type of this bird come closer together as they move down to South America

GOOD MIGRATIONS $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows us a map of southeast Africa, with Tanzania and the Indian Ocean labeled.) In Africa, the only place where vast animal migrations occur is in this large Tanzanian national park, where herds move in a circular route to find water and grazeable land

17-LETTER WORDS $1600: A cosmetic treatment that gently sands the skin
(Roger: What is... dermabrasion?)
(Alex: Yes, 17 letters. Roger was, uh, 5 letters short.)

17-LETTER WORDS $2000: In politics, really, really traditional & right wing
(Roger: What is paleoconservative?) [Originally ruled incorrect; reversed before the Daily Double at clue 24.]

HAVE YOU HEARD THE "NEWS"? $400: Full name of the organization for which the man seen here has plied his trade since 2001

GOOD MIGRATIONS $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows us a map of North America and the Pacific Ocean.) Following a 5,000 mile migration route, the gray species of this creature travels from the Arctic to warm Mexican waters, where it mates & gives birth

TOUGH BODIES OF WATER $800: Half a mile long, in the 1840s it inspired an American literary classic
(Buddy: Oh. No.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
usual suspects
fir
transit
counterproductive
The Dallas Morning News
Dario Franchitti
Mike Fisher
Iowa
Oscar Wilde
the Civilian Conservation Corps (the CCC)
luffah
Dalí
nachos
brass
Wilma Rudolph
tanager
Serengeti
microdermabrasion
ultraconservative
Cable News Network
a whale
Walden Pond
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

19th Century Poetry
He wrote, "He looked upon the garish day with such a wistful eye; The man had killed the thing he loved, & so he had to die".
Spoiler
Who is Oscar Wilde? Buddy and Roger said Shelley; Tom said Coleridge.
Roger Craig: $15,600-$14,400=$1,200 today+$50,000=$51,200 (1st place)
Tom Nissley: $14,600-$14,600=$0 today+$18,800=$18,800 (2nd place)
Buddy Wright: $4,600-$0=$4,600 today+$6,000=$10,600 (3rd place)
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lasercats
Contributor

Post by lasercats »

Spoiler
congrats Roger! Great job Tom and Buddy.
My affiliate carried Jeopardy at 2:30, and I got off work early today. Weird, huh?
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

Congratulations to our new champion of champions! After a dominating performance like this against two superb challengers who were both playing very well and on impressive hot streaks of their own, I'm inclined to say that Roger Craig is arguably the greatest Jeopardy! champion since David Madden in 2005. He may even be the greatest since Ken Jennings in 2004, though I want to think about that more before I decide one way or the other. I would certainly include Roger Craig among the all-time ten greatest Tournament of Champions victors since Alex Trebek took over as Jeopardy! host, a list that would also include Chuck Forrest, Bob Verini, Bob Blake, Leszek Pawlowicz, Tom Nosek, Michael Dupee, Dan Melia, Brad Rutter and Dan Pawson. There have been so many great Tournament of Champions winners that narrowing it down to a list of the ten best is very difficult, but that is how my list would look.

Now I'm envisioning a two-day Jeopardy! match of the last three Tournament of Champions winners: Dan Pawson, Vijay Balse and Roger Craig. I have the feeling that there might be a few True Daily Doubles in among that action. :-)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

KenJenningsFan74 wrote:He may even be the greatest since Ken Jennings in 2004, though I want to think about that more before I decide one way or the other.
Thinking of changing your nick, are you? ;) (Calling him "the greatest *since* Ken" would still make Ken the greatest in your books, don't worry.)

I was cheering wildly for Buddy when he got the last two DDs (and felt bad for him when he bet small on an extremely gettable (due to his location) DD - Buddy, I felt for ya, man.). Loved how Alex called it "going through the formalities"; considering yesterday's totals, was there any way for Roger to have lost today, given the same scores going into Final?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:
KenJenningsFan74 wrote:He may even be the greatest since Ken Jennings in 2004, though I want to think about that more before I decide one way or the other.
Thinking of changing your nick, are you? ;) (Calling him "the greatest *since* Ken" would still make Ken the greatest in your books, don't worry.)

I was cheering wildly for Buddy when he got the last two DDs (and felt bad for him when he bet small on an extremely gettable (due to his location) DD - Buddy, I felt for ya, man.). Loved how Alex called it "going through the formalities"; considering yesterday's totals, was there any way for Roger to have lost today, given the same scores going into Final?
Nope. Tom "won" $18,xxx yesterday. today, he had $14,xxx going into final. Can't recall the exact numbers, but round them up to $19,000 and $15,000 (doubled). That's still $49,000 for Tom over two days. Roger could have bet it all and lost today and still won the tournament.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Well, blimey. This game (especially Double Jeopardy!) shows how powerless Roger becomes without the finding all three Daily Doubles. Conversely, it shows how getting a TDD wrong can hurt your chances at winning, as seen with Buddy.

ROGER: $9,000* (incl. 1 Daily Double correct)
TOM: $14,600
BUDDY: $10,800 (incl. 1 correct, 1 incorrect Daily Double)

And congratulations once again to Roger for winning the 2011 ToC.
Last edited by NoWhammies10 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

And that wraps up the Roger Craig experience. Congratulations sir, you definitely earned your title with your performance over these two games, and arguably the most impressive Tournament of Champions victory in quite some time. Tom and Buddy, I think you both played very well, enjoy your 100k and 50k respectively, but I will request Buddy not to blow it all on Vegas, or if you are going to blow it all, do it in one big bet. I wonder if Roger's play will encourage a lot more aggressive DD hunting and wagering, because in the case of Roger, it clearly worked.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

KenJenningsFan74 wrote:Congratulations to our new champion of champions! After a dominating performance like this against two superb challengers who were both playing very well and on impressive hot streaks of their own, I'm inclined to say that Roger Craig is arguably the greatest Jeopardy! champion since David Madden in 2005. He may even be the greatest since Ken Jennings in 2004, though I want to think about that more before I decide one way or the other. I would certainly include Roger Craig among the all-time ten greatest Tournament of Champions victors since Alex Trebek took over as Jeopardy! host, a list that would also include Chuck Forrest, Bob Verini, Bob Blake, Leszek Pawlowicz, Tom Nosek, Michael Dupee, Dan Melia, Brad Rutter and Dan Pawson. There have been so many great Tournament of Champions winners that narrowing it down to a list of the ten best is very difficult, but that is how my list would look.
No Fran Spangenberg, eh? ;)

Seriously, though, congratulations to Tom and Buddy for exactly what I was hoping for: an entertaining and well-played tournament. Huge congrats to Roger, of course, for his victory. Whatever tiredness was affecting you in the semis sure didn't seem to be there in the Finals. When Roger found his DD in the J round, I was half-expecting wither Tom of Buddy to pipe up and say, "He'll make it a true Daily Double." :)

I don't feel bad at all about missing FJ -- I just wagged a random 19th C poet, Tennyson -- as it was a TS. Is there some reason we should be expected to know that?
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Congratulations to Roger on winning the tournament and to Tom and Buddy for making the final. This was a good game, though not as exciting as the game yesterday. It would've been interesting if this had been the first instead of the second game of the final.

Poetry is a terrible category for me. I ended up guessing Dylan Thomas for FJ, only to discover afterwards that I wasn't even in the right century...
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

I should mention as well that I was both amused and sad that Buddy got both daily doubles, amused for the fact that Roger got sniped in a friendly, sad for the fact that Roger couldn't have broken 100k and that Buddy didn't have enough money already to do a Roger and make things closer towards final.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Congratulations, Roger! You are a worthy champion.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Well as the slate gets wiped clean for the next one, the book ends on the Season 28 Tournament of Champions as Roger Craig joins the list of those who have won such a prestigious tournament. Buddy Wright and Tom Nissley, both of you played great, I loved the humor about your 1-day totals in the introduction, made it humorous. Both of you had great runs originally, and especially Buddy, you surprised everyone in getting to the finals, that takes a lot of work. Nonetheless, it was well fought. I personally enjoyed everyone's playings, as hard as they might be. As tough as a field as it was, the final still could've gone anyone's way (until Day 1).

Roger, you are by far one of Jeopardy's best known players now, and clearly a force to reckon with. Someday, if we ever have a 2nd Ultimate Tournament, which could be 20 years from now for all we know, you could give quite the crowd a running for its money. (Dan Pawson, Larissa Kelly, Brian Weikle, etc.) Dare I say Ken Jennings?

This was a great tournament to watch. I wish it hadn't gone so quickly as it took long to come finally. Congrats to Roger. Buddy and Tom, however hard it might be, you gave Roger quite a fight tonight.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

We all saw this coming ever since Roger's run last year. Really, the only person that was going to beat Roger was Roger himself. He certainly did not do that. Roger, congratulations on capping off an extremely impressive Jeopardy career. Well, I say that... but maybe you'll get another shot one day! We could only hope so... you're certainly entertaining to watch. :)
Last edited by heelsrule1988 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

UniquePerspective wrote:I should mention as well that I was both amused and sad that Buddy got both daily doubles, amused for the fact that Roger got sniped in a friendly, sad for the fact that Roger couldn't have broken 100k and that Buddy didn't have enough money already to do a Roger and make things closer towards final.
If Buddy had went TDD on the last one, would that have been the first ToC final where every DD was a TDD?
dirck_hals
Contributor

Post by dirck_hals »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Roger, you are by far one of Jeopardy's best known players now, and clearly a force to reckon with. Someday, if we ever have a 2nd Ultimate Tournament, which could be 20 years from now for all we know[...]
Well, Alex's current contract is up in two years, which would coincide with J!'s 30th season... That would be a great way for Trebek to go out with a bang...
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

UniquePerspective wrote:I should mention as well that I was both amused and sad that Buddy got both daily doubles, amused for the fact that Roger got sniped in a friendly, sad for the fact that Roger couldn't have broken 100k and that Buddy didn't have enough money already to do a Roger and make things closer towards final.
If TOm could have gotten the second DD and went True DD and been right, it would have been a bit closer to catching Roger. But with FJ! a triple stumper, it would not have mattered.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Roger on the victory, and congrats to Tom N. and Buddy on a fantastic tournament. I cannot express in words what a pleasure it was to watch the three of you.

I thought I heard Roger say "gestal" instead of "gestalt" for the clue immediately before he found the J! round Daily Double. I could be wrong about that.

I really thought that Tom was going to find those Daily Doubles and get himself back in it. It felt like the DJ round Daily Doubles would never be found. I did see Tom pick lower-valued clues when there was still one DD to be had, though. That surprised me.

I had absolutely no idea on FJ. "Crossing the Bar" was my precall, so I just stuck with Tennyson since I had nothing better. I was reading j-archive awhile back and saw "The Ballad of Reading Gaol" come up as the correct response to a FJ clue and thought to myself "man, that is tough." Maybe it's one of those things that the writers love and everyone should know before they go on the show.

This board was on the easy side but I was happy that it wasn't as big of a drop in difficulty as the day 2 ToC finals boards of the last two ToCs. I thought that it was well-written, but I agree that the FJ clue was not very helpful in pointing towards Wilde.

With his TDDs and his discussion of strategy, I really think that Roger has secured himself a spot in another Million Dollar Masters-style tournament, if TPTB decide to have one again. It's not enough to be good; you have to do something more to make yourself stand out, and Roger did.

I know that it has already been discussed, but Roger's play in this tournament goes to show how important preparation is. I don't think that this tournament played out so that the most knowledgeable person would have an advantage; preparation was key.

Congrats again to Roger, Tom, and Buddy. You guys rock!
Last edited by StevenH on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

legendneverdies wrote:If TOm could have gotten the second DD and went True DD and been right, it would have been a bit closer to catching Roger. But with FJ! a triple stumper, it would not have mattered.
Yes, I was thinking that it was too bad for Tom that he couldn't get one or two of the DDs so he could mount a serious comeback, but you're right that FJ would likely have rendered it moot. Even with some help from DDs, Tom would likely still have had to wager large in FJ and get it correct to win the tournament.

Congratulations to Roger on the win, and thanks for such a memorable run. Nicely done. I still want to buy your Jeopardy study system - PM me when it goes on sale! :) Tom, I feel like you are certainly the caliber of player who could win a ToC, and would have won under slightly different circumstances. Sorry it didn't work out for you, but an outstanding performance nonetheless. Buddy, I have to admit that I didn't expect you to make it to the finals, but you really did hold your own against some fierce competition and you were a great sport! Thanks to all of you for an exciting tournament final, and enjoy your winnings!
Last edited by BigDaddyJ on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.